Not quite ready for prrime time......

Wayback1918

Aug 15, 2009, 7:12:57 AM8/15/09
I think its time to let Josh Reddick go back to the minors and finish
his development. He could be a productive Major Leaguer.....someday.

2009 BA .188 OBP .212 SLG .406 OPS .618

He has also K'd 8 of his last 21 AB......38%

....but it is another example of the bad year Theo Epstien is
having. I mean if you can't find a decent replacement for Rocco
Baldelli.......

Gary

Aug 15, 2009, 9:19:17 AM8/15/09

Except that Baldelli is having a good year in what they want for him.
To hit well against LHP which he has done.

It seems like you expect the Sox to have backups that are of the
caliber of starters. That's not too likely.

wayback1918

Aug 15, 2009, 10:06:19 AM8/15/09
On Aug 15, 9:19 am, Gary <golfera...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Wayback1918

The problem with Baldelli is less with his production....which hasn't
been great...but with his inability to play for any length of time
consecutively.

Here's the list of Red Sox reserves

Julio Lugo 123
Rocco Baldelli 121
George Kottaras 99
Jeff Bailey 91
Mark Kotsay 79
Jed Lowrie 63
Josh Reddick 33
Casey Kotchman 22
Adam LaRoche 19
Jonathan Van Every 13
Aaron Bates 12
Chris Woodward 7
Chris Carter 6
Gil Velazquez 3
Dusty Brown 0

BA .235 OBP .305 SLG .378 OPS .684

....and if you consider Lugo was the starter for some of the time and
you take him out of the totals you get....

BA .225 OBP .296 SLG .381 OPS .676

It would seem to me there is a lot of room between "backups that are
of the
caliber of starters" and some people on the bench who can contribute.

wayback1918

Aug 15, 2009, 6:31:26 PM8/15/09
> caliber of starters" and some people on the bench who can contribute.- Hide quoted text -

Reddick gone........

.....welcome Brian Anderson.

Gary

Aug 15, 2009, 8:13:37 PM8/15/09
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:31:26 -0700 (PDT), wayback1918
<wayba...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Reddick gone........
>
>.....welcome Brian Anderson.

Didn't really expect it. But Anderson has been hitting well at
Pawtucket and I think the Sox wanted a right handed hitting outfielder
as a backup. Plus right now, Anderson is probably a better fielder.

We'll probably see Reddick back in September.

wayback1918

Aug 15, 2009, 8:19:25 PM8/15/09
On Aug 15, 8:13 pm, Gary <golfera...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:31:26 -0700 (PDT), wayback1918
>
> <wayback1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >Reddick gone........
>
> >.....welcome Brian Anderson.
>
> Didn't really expect it. But Anderson has been hitting well at
> Pawtucket and I think the Sox wanted a right handed hitting outfielder
> as a backup. Plus right now, Anderson is probably a better fielder.
>
> We'll probably see Reddick back in September.

He is good fielder.....but he only has a total of 41 innings in RF
(including minors)

Gary

Aug 15, 2009, 8:22:20 PM8/15/09

What position did he play mostly in AA? I am guessing LF.

Anderson, I believe, is supposed to be an excellent fielder.

wayback1918

Aug 15, 2009, 8:25:15 PM8/15/09
> Anderson, I believe, is supposed to be an excellent fielder.- Hide quoted text -

Some LF.... almost always CF

The Gnorkmeister

Aug 15, 2009, 9:06:41 PM8/15/09

Gary was referencing Reddick, not Anderson. You, like a slime-sucking
mutant did not pick up on the AA reference, which could only
reasonably apply to Reddick, not Anderson. You are sentenced to be
locked in a room for 8 hours listening to tapes of Dave Roberts
broadcasting.

McDuck

Aug 16, 2009, 12:20:12 AM8/16/09
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:13:37 -0400, Gary <golfe...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Didn't really expect it. But Anderson has been hitting well at
>Pawtucket and I think the Sox wanted a right handed hitting outfielder
>as a backup. Plus right now, Anderson is probably a better fielder.
>
>We'll probably see Reddick back in September.

I had been told to expect Reddick to go back to save a option.

McDuck

Aug 16, 2009, 12:21:44 AM8/16/09

Reddick has a terrific arm, so one would imagine he'd be decent in RF.

The Gnorkmeister

Aug 16, 2009, 4:52:36 AM8/16/09
On Aug 15, 9:20 pm, McDuck <wallyDELETEMEMcD...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:13:37 -0400, Gary <golfera...@comcast.net>

> wrote:
>

> >Didn't really expect it. But Anderson has been hitting well at
> >Pawtucket and I think the Sox wanted a right handed hitting outfielder
> >as a backup. Plus right now, Anderson is probably a better fielder.
>
> >We'll probably see Reddick back in September.
>
> I had been told to expect Reddick to go back to save a option.

By some other dolt? Look up the option rules.