GC -- DANIEL FREAKIN' BARD!!!!!

Smithee

Aug 9, 2010, 4:47:23 PM8/9/10
Bottom of the 7th, Sox up 2-0, bases loaded with 1 out at the
Stadium... Bard comes in. Six pitches, six strikes, makes Jeter and
Switch look overmatched!!!

Wow; I don't think we'll be missing Paps if this guy continues like
he's been so far...

Tristan daCunha

Aug 9, 2010, 4:56:52 PM8/9/10
You're worse than RSSYR.
That made yer day, eh?
Wait up.....Jays are really gonna' make it Skippy!

McDuck

Aug 9, 2010, 6:21:52 PM8/9/10

It sure was nice to have Paps bail out Bard in the 8th and strike out
the side in the 9th.

Tristan daCunha

Aug 9, 2010, 7:17:33 PM8/9/10
"Paps McQuack"; are you hitting on Smithee? Well? Are you?

mr. gone

Aug 10, 2010, 8:41:31 AM8/10/10
In article <0rv0669ffh6207jcb...@4ax.com>,
wallyDELE...@comcast.net says...

lol. when did paps become such a persona non grata, anyway?

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 9:13:27 AM8/10/10

"mr. gone" <mr_gone...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That would be around the same time that some Red Sox fans began to feel as
ungrateful and as entitled as NYY fans. <g>

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 9:14:24 AM8/10/10

"mr. gone" <mr_gone...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That would be around the same time that some Red Sox fans began to feel as

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 9:14:34 AM8/10/10

"mr. gone" <mr_gone...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That would be around the same time that some Red Sox fans began to feel as

Mortimer

Aug 10, 2010, 9:44:37 AM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 8:41 am, "mr. gone" <mr_gone78NOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> lol. when did paps become such a persona non grata, anyway?

When he started saying he wanted too be the highest paid closer in MLB
after his arbitration is finished.

mr. gone

Aug 10, 2010, 10:34:37 AM8/10/10
In article <23fb1399-a419-45b1-8c08-
4d4ac0...@m1g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>, ectha...@gmail.com says...

only place that'll happen is the nyy.

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 12:26:31 PM8/10/10

"mr. gone" <mr_gone...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bear in mind he said this at a time when he was performing like the best
closer in the game. I'd chalk that up to the exhuberence of youth. I could
be wrong...and he might not be quick to admit it publicly, but I'll bet he
has learned a little something about humility since he came back down to
Earth. I bet he has a renewed respect for Mariano and his amazing
consistency through the years too.

McDuck

Aug 10, 2010, 1:17:48 PM8/10/10
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:26:31 -0400, "Dano" <janea...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Perhaps. In any event, I had no problem at all with the statement. I
think Ted Williams made an equivalent statement once. And Babe Ruth,
the president of the U.S. said: "I had a better year" --- which was
very true.

Now, if Paps were to hold out for his preferred contract or otherwise
act badly, then I'd have a beef. But that he wants t be the very best
at what he does and wants to be paid accordingly is a good thing,
admirable even.

Still, if I were Paps, I'd have kept that view to myself, given the
way the media and Boston fans make mountains out of mole hills. So, in
that respect, I agree entirely with your view.

nate

Aug 10, 2010, 1:31:12 PM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 12:26 pm, "Dano" <janeandd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I bet [Papelbon] has a renewed respect for Mariano and his amazing

> consistency through the years too.

And Rivera is having one of his best years ever!

So far this year Rivera has made all of the hitters he's faced hit
worse than Kevin Cash!

Events outs bases AdjOPS
MarianoRivera NYY 148 123 32 .260
KevinCash BOS 60 48 13 .271

View in fixed font!
Raw data from Baseball-Reference.com

BF = Batters Faced + Steal Attempts
OI = Outs Induced = AB-H+CS+SF+SH+GIDP
BG = Bases Given = TB+BB+SB+SF+SH-CS-GIDP+HBP + (BK+WP-IBB)
AdjOPS = BG/OI

MarianoRivera BF OI BG AdjOPS
1995 NYY 308 202 154 .762376
1996 NYY 429 323 121 .374613
1997 NYY 304 220 115 .522727
1998 NYY 248 184 89 .483696
1999 NYY 272 209 80 .382775
2000 NYY 317 233 112 .480687
2001 NYY 316 244 92 .377049
2002 NYY 190 140 66 .471429
2003 NYY 282 212 87 .410377
2004 NYY 322 238 98 .411765
2005 NYY 315 240 88 .366667
2006 NYY 299 229 84 .366812
2007 NYY 297 216 109 .504630
2008 NYY 266 213 72 .338028
2009 NYY 260 200 87 .435000
2010 NYY 148 123 32 .260163

MLB totals 4573 3422 1486 .434249

- nate

Mortimer

Aug 10, 2010, 1:33:15 PM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 1:31 pm, nate <greyst...@net1plus.com> wrote:
> And Rivera is having one of his best years ever!
<snip>

Good thing Rivera's contract is up after this season and he's
hopefully going too retire! ;)

Gary

Aug 10, 2010, 5:32:05 PM8/10/10

What's wrong with that? I think if I were him, I'd want the same
thing. Basically, if someone is willing to pay you the most, you must
be doing something right.

Gary

Aug 10, 2010, 5:34:14 PM8/10/10
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:26:31 -0400, "Dano" <janea...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I think he has always had respect for Mariano. Back at the All-Star
game in NY, some folks misinterpreted what he said. He said he would
like to be the one to get the save for the AL, but he understood that
would be Mariano's role. Some folks, especially in NY, only heard the
first part, not the second.

Gary

Aug 10, 2010, 5:34:58 PM8/10/10

I sure doubt that!! :)

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 5:52:35 PM8/10/10

"Mortimer" <ectha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why would you even think he'd do that? I didn't know his contract is due.
THAT should be interesting. Talk about setting the bar. Pap (and Boras)
will be watching that with rapt attention.

Dano

Aug 10, 2010, 5:53:41 PM8/10/10

"Gary" <golfe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

You would have to be a complete moron to NOT have the greatest respect for
him.