DL

John Vamp

Apr 20, 2009, 10:18:35 PM4/20/09
Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:

- Matsuzaka
- Baldelli
- Lowrie
- Lugo (yes, he's an important player)

Of course, I'm not even counting Smoltz. But already the injury bug
has hit the Red Sox pretty hard.

John

Raymond O'Hara

Apr 20, 2009, 10:29:43 PM4/20/09

"John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

has Rocco been DLed?
and Lugo is coming off of it

wayback1918

Apr 21, 2009, 6:12:57 AM4/21/09

Kotsay (how soon they forget)

gazer220

Apr 21, 2009, 6:24:59 AM4/21/09

Soon?? Didn't he sign, and then immediately have surgery? Never at
ST? That was a looonng time ago.

BTT
SOX ARE FINE IN '09!!

John Vamp

Apr 21, 2009, 9:12:21 AM4/21/09
On Apr 20, 10:29 pm, "Raymond O'Hara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rocco has been DL'ed. Lugo isn't coming off it any time soon, at
least so far as I know. Amazing to say, but right now the Sox really
need Lugo. <gulp>

John

Raymond O'Hara

Apr 21, 2009, 9:46:18 AM4/21/09

"John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

John

lugo is starting his rehab in pawtucket and he'll be back very soon.
rocco didn't seem badly hurt and tito didn't seemed optomistic about him in
the post game press conference.

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Apr 21, 2009, 10:07:13 AM4/21/09

Green is already superior to 2008 Lugo.

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Apr 21, 2009, 10:07:14 AM4/21/09

errrr...why? Despite the E's, Green looks better than Lugo ever did
last year.

wayback1918

Apr 21, 2009, 10:23:09 AM4/21/09
> last year.- Hide quoted text -

Mr Green has slipped back into what he always was. A very marginal
back up infielder who...if he is on your roster.....a team would
always want to upgrade. A very precarious postion to be in.

Lugo (2008 edition) would not be adequate either. If he plays at that
level then the Red Sox would need to look at other alternatives.

Now if he is the same guy that came into spring training, in great
shape and highly motivated, looking like he was going play like Lugo
(2006 edition (first half)) then he is so far above whatever Nick
Green could give you it not even a question.

Louis Martel

Apr 21, 2009, 10:33:35 AM4/21/09
Vamp " Rocco has been DL'ed"

Where did this info come from ? Checked the Globe's Sox info, ESPN
baseball, RedSox.com, no info about his being put on DL.

"Sweet Lou"

Dano

Apr 21, 2009, 10:45:43 AM4/21/09

Yeah? Did you get a load of Gil Velasquez? Yikes! How does he even make
AAA?

I like Green alright...more as a utility guy...but depth at middle infield
right now really sucks. I'll gladly take Lugo for now...but that must be
addressed.

Dano

Apr 21, 2009, 10:52:16 AM4/21/09

Vamp is clearly mistaken. They're still calling it a mild muscle
strain...unrelated (they say) to the ongoing issue he has. Hopefully that's
so. I also saw they may call up Bailey.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/04/21/surgery_likely_for_lowrie/?page=2

"Nothing official had been decided yesterday, though Jeff Bailey was removed
from the lineup in Pawtucket in the top of the ninth inning, and could be
the replacement if Baldelli is placed on the disabled list. The only
outfielders on the 40-man roster who are not on the active roster are Mark
Kotsay and Jonathan Van Every, both of whom are injured."

S/B 954RR

Apr 21, 2009, 2:42:22 PM4/21/09

"John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:
>
> - Matsuzaka
> - Baldelli
> - Lowrie
> - Lugo (yes, he's an important player)

In what regard?

John Vamp

Apr 21, 2009, 4:39:31 PM4/21/09
On Apr 21, 2:42 pm, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:
>
> > - Matsuzaka
> > - Baldelli
> > - Lowrie
> > - Lugo (yes, he's an important player)
>
> In what regard?

In the regard that Lowrie may be done for several months and, even
though he's been ok so far, Nick Green is *not* a better player than
Julio Lugo.

John

John Vamp

Apr 21, 2009, 4:47:00 PM4/21/09

From: http://www2.nesn.com/boston-red-sox/2009/04/21/report-baldelli-headed-to-dl/:

"A day being removed from Monday’s 12-1 win over the Orioles, Red Sox
outfielder Rocco Baldelli has been placed on the 15-day disabled list
due to an injured left hamstring. The Sox have recalled Jeff
Baileyfrom Pawtucket to take Baldelli’s roster spot."

John

Red Sox Rule Yankees Suck

Apr 21, 2009, 7:00:43 PM4/21/09
Yes, what's with all the injuries to Boston athletes? The Pats lose
Brady, the C's lose KG, the Sox lose Dice-K. Must be something in the
water. Better hope nothing happens to any of the Bruins players.

Steve Robbins

Apr 21, 2009, 8:25:09 PM4/21/09
S/B 954RR wrote:
> "John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:
>>
>> - Matsuzaka
>> - Baldelli
>> - Lowrie
>> - Lugo (yes, he's an important player)
>
> In what regard?

He takes up a roster spot.

--
The Unofficial a.s.b.b-r Reference Page
http://redsox.robbins-ut.com/index.html

Steve Robbins

Apr 21, 2009, 8:29:02 PM4/21/09
Steve Robbins wrote:
> S/B 954RR wrote:
>> "John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:
>>>
>>> - Matsuzaka
>>> - Baldelli
>>> - Lowrie
>>> - Lugo (yes, he's an important player)
>>
>> In what regard?
>
> He takes up a roster spot.

Looked it up and I was wrong. None last year but at least one each of
the previous nine years. Close but no cigar.

Steve Robbins

Apr 21, 2009, 8:37:45 PM4/21/09
Steve Robbins wrote:
> Steve Robbins wrote:
>> S/B 954RR wrote:
>>> "John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> In what regard?
>>
>> He takes up a roster spot.
>>

> Looked it up and I was wrong. None last year but at least one each of
> the previous nine years. Close but no cigar.

Now I replied to the wrong thread. Strike Two!

S/B 954RR

Apr 21, 2009, 11:34:37 PM4/21/09

"John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

John

He is a better player than the Lugo we've seen so far. Both are
unimpressive.

S/B 954RR

Apr 21, 2009, 11:45:36 PM4/21/09

"Steve Robbins" <srobb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Steve Robbins wrote:
>> Steve Robbins wrote:

>>> He takes up a roster spot.
>>>

>> Looked it up and I was wrong. None last year but at least one each of
>> the previous nine years. Close but no cigar.
>>
> Now I replied to the wrong thread. Strike Two!

I'm confused... Are you making fun of me? :)

John Vamp

Apr 22, 2009, 6:40:10 AM4/22/09
On Apr 21, 11:34 pm, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 21, 2:42 pm, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Already the Sox have a bunch of important players on the DL:
>
> > > - Matsuzaka
> > > - Baldelli
> > > - Lowrie
> > > - Lugo (yes, he's an important player)
>
> > In what regard?
>
> In the regard that Lowrie may be done for several months and, even
> though he's been ok so far, Nick Green is *not* a better player than
> Julio Lugo.
>
> John
>
> He is a better player than the Lugo we've seen so far.  Both are
> unimpressive.

Nick Green has put up this line for the Red Sox: 25 ab, 4 r, 6 h, 0
hr, 3 rbi, .240/.321/.320/.641, and has made two errors in 38 chances
(.947 fielding percentage).

Last year, as dreadful as Lugo was, put up this line: 261 ab, 27 r,
70 h, 1 hr, 22 rbi, .268/.355/.330/.685, and made 16 errors in 292
chances (.945 fielding percentage).

So they are virtually equal in the field, despite what it may "feel"
like. And Lugo last year was a significantly better offensive
performer than Green has been so far, again, despite what it may
"feel" like.

In short, your statement, "He is a better player than the Lugo we've
seen so far." is incorrect. Your statement, "Both are unimpressive."
is correct.

But if, despite the actual evidence that refutes your claim, you still
wish to think that, that's fine. Let's take it down a level. The
backup to Nick Green is who, exactly? Gil Velazquez, that's who. If
Green gets pinch-hit for, or tweaks an ankle, or whatever, now we're
talking about relying on Gil Velazquez. Please don't tell me that you
think that *he* has been better than Lugo was. I'd rather have a
tandem of Lugo/Green than Green/Velazquez.

Don't take this as meaning I'm a Lugo fan. I'm not...I want Lowrie
up, healthy, and succeeding for the Red Sox. But if the options are
Lugo, Green, or Velazquez, I'll take Lugo first, backed up by Green.

John

Steve Robbins

Apr 22, 2009, 6:58:46 AM4/22/09
No. I replied to two threads and one was where I guessed Varitek was
one of the two with 10 years of triples. I went and looked it up and
being in too much of a hurry, I selected this thread that I had also
replied to and then stated I was wrong. So I was correcting myself so
no one would be confused. Seems I failed. Strike three. :-)

wayback1918

Apr 22, 2009, 8:43:20 AM4/22/09
On Apr 22, 6:40 am, John Vamp <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 11:34 pm, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Apr 21, 2:42 pm, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > In what regard?
>
> > In the regard that Lowrie may be done for several months and, even
> > though he's been ok so far, Nick Green is *not* a better player than
> > Julio Lugo.
>
> > John
>
> > He is a better player than the Lugo we've seen so far.  Both are
> > unimpressive.
>
> Nick Green has put up this line for the Red Sox:  25 ab, 4 r, 6 h, 0
> hr, 3 rbi, .240/.321/.320/.641, and has made two errors in 38 chances
> (.947 fielding percentage).

Yes...but don't you think stats at this point in the season are
meaningless? <g>

Seriously in many cases the small sample of this season is just
additional evidence of what has gone on in previous years.

Let's say Ortiz had an off year in 2008....and then lets say he didn't
look comfortable in spring training.....so then is first 13 games of
2009 a 'small sample' or just further confirmation of what people have
observed over the last two years?

S/B 954RR

Apr 22, 2009, 10:46:04 AM4/22/09

"Steve Robbins" <srobb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
No, I got, I was just kidding around.

S/B 954RR

Apr 22, 2009, 10:51:23 AM4/22/09

Don't take this as meaning I'm a Lugo fan. I'm not...I want Lowrie
up, healthy, and succeeding for the Red Sox. But if the options are
Lugo, Green, or Velazquez, I'll take Lugo first, backed up by Green.

____________________________

I snipped your stats because I'll agree with you that Lugo does look better
and probably is. I guess it is appearances, they both appear dismal with a
bit to me but Green appeared more steady to me defensively so that is why I
suggested he is better.

wayback1918

Apr 22, 2009, 5:36:54 PM4/22/09
On Apr 22, 10:51 am, "S/B 954RR" <jtibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Vamp" <jvampate...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It's tough when you stick up for a player's defense then he goes out
and makes two errors.

S/B 954RR

Apr 22, 2009, 9:39:21 PM4/22/09

"wayback1918" <wayba...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Yeah, appearances can be deceiving. Hopefully they have an ace up their
sleeve and we'll have a SS from outside the organization to help out

Christina

Apr 22, 2009, 10:27:37 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:39:21 -0400, "S/B 954RR" <jtib...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Well SB the 5 errors are ALOT, Green is hitting very well but the
fielding errors are bad, he has shown enough so far for to be Lugo's
back up I think.

McDuck

Apr 23, 2009, 7:30:34 PM4/23/09

3 errors