Schuerholz + Cooperstown mentioned by BSPN

Jolly Rogers

Jun 26, 2002, 5:19:19 PM6/26/02
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/schwarz_alan/1399195.html

I honestly don't know about this one. On the one hand, we have the Braves
who are still heavily involved in one of the greatest and longest successful
runs in the history of MLB, and on the other hand, I have to wonder how many
more World Series the Bravos would have won with someone more competent
steering the ship. All the while, JS has been the GM overseeing this
operation. I feel is he owed some measure of lauds for the success of the
Braves, but not Cooperstown, for Heaven's sake. I think the Braves's
success of the past 10+ years is largely attributed to 3 very great
pitchers, and a very decent supporting cast along the way.

If Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz weren't part of the Braves', this discussion
would not be happening. JS meets The Hall shouldn't and won't happen.

Jolly Rogers

Jolly Rogers

Jun 26, 2002, 5:22:27 PM6/26/02
I wrote:

> Braves's

Ooops, that should read: Braves'

Dick Sidbury

Jun 26, 2002, 10:48:22 PM6/26/02
Jolly Rogers wrote:
> If Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz weren't part of the Braves', this discussion
> would not be happening. JS meets The Hall shouldn't and won't happen.

and cox. and you can probably attribute getting Maddux to JS. But I
wouldn't put him in the HOF. I would put BC there.

dick

Jolly Rogers

Jun 26, 2002, 10:53:45 PM6/26/02
"Dick Sidbury" <sid...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> and cox. and you can probably attribute getting Maddux to JS. But I
> wouldn't put him in the HOF. I would put BC there.

I strongly agree. Without question, Bobby Cox is gold and definitely
deserves induction someday, first vote. I honestly believe Maddux, Glavine,
and Cox will be inducted to Cooperstown on the first vote someday.

Jolly Rogers

Joe Simpson

Jun 26, 2002, 10:55:34 PM6/26/02
I would put both.

"Dick Sidbury" <sid...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Colin William

Jul 1, 2002, 9:22:02 AM7/1/02
"Jolly Rogers" <jolly...@nospam.org> wrote in ...

> http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/schwarz_alan/1399195.html
>
> I honestly don't know about this one. On the one hand, we have the Braves
> who are still heavily involved in one of the greatest and longest
successful
> runs in the history of MLB, and on the other hand, I have to wonder how
many
> more World Series the Bravos would have won with someone more competent
> steering the ship.

I lambaste Schuerholz a lot, but I can't blame him for the postseason
failures. Any group of players that's good enough to win 100 games or more
in a season should be good enough to win in the postseason, regardless of
the holes that might exist on the bench or wherever. Schuerholz has, to be
sure, traded for some stretch-run crap that has bitten us on the postseason
ass from time to time Reardon, Pendleton II). But it's the players (poor
clutch hitting, bad defense, stupid baserunning tricks) and manager who have
been more responsible for not winning world Series, IMO.

Colin