ESPN Scouting Report

1 view

Colin T. William

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
Has anyone checked out the ESPNet scouting reports? Some odd, interesting
notes. Thing that leapt out at me was the suggestion that Javy may be the
best catcher in teh game, with an arm as strong as that of Ivan Rodrguez.
Certainly haven't heard that said before.

Of course, they also say Ligtenberg has no postseason experience...

Colin

Andrew B.

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 07:45:12 -0400, "Colin T. William"
<cwi...@emory.edu> wrote:

>Has anyone checked out the ESPNet scouting reports? Some odd, interesting
>notes. Thing that leapt out at me was the suggestion that Javy may be the
>best catcher in teh game, with an arm as strong as that of Ivan Rodrguez.
>Certainly haven't heard that said before.

The Javy scouting report :

Outside of Chipper Jones may be most important position player ...
calls a good game, blocks ball well ... maybe the best catcher in the
game ... brings so much defensively ... throws as well as Ivan
Rodriguez ... seems to always to get tough RBI ... has ability to rise
to occasion ... has made adjustments to hit breaking balls better ...
solid approach at the plate ... have to set him up each at-bat.

All of sudden he "brings so much defensively". And I have always
thought Javy was a good breaking ball hitter, the knock being
intermittent impatience.

--Andrew B.

samuel m. hutcheson

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
and...@vnet.net (Andrew B.) wrote:

>The Javy scouting report :

> Outside of Chipper Jones may be most important position player ...
>calls a good game, blocks ball well ... maybe the best catcher in the
>game ... brings so much defensively ... throws as well as Ivan
>Rodriguez ... seems to always to get tough RBI ... has ability to rise
>to occasion ... has made adjustments to hit breaking balls better ...
>solid approach at the plate ... have to set him up each at-bat.

>All of sudden he "brings so much defensively". And I have always
>thought Javy was a good breaking ball hitter, the knock being
>intermittent impatience.

yeah, but that was back when he was a rookie taking up a spot better
saved for charlie o'brien's veteran leadership. now he's a star, and
as such, the facts warp themselves to the situation.

s/

2 out, 0 on, 3-2 count:

"The scoreboard orders the crowd to get on their
feet and, zombie-like, they obey."

skip carey, 9/15/98, WSB radio

ce...@mindspring.com

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
I'm glad Javy is getting the recognition he deserves. I was disappointed to
see him not in the lineup today with Maddux pitching. Please explain to me
why Maddux feels he cannot throw to Javy. Maddux pretty much calls his own
pitches. All he needs is someone back there to catch it. While Eddie has
been doing pretty good offensively, he doesn't have Javy's bat. And look
how important that was in Game 2.

Mac Thomason

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
Well, it seems to me that Glavine and Javy tend to always have at least one
problem a game.
Scott Willsey wrote in message <36167a1f...@news.calweb.com>...

>Maybe I'm just imagining things, but Perez and Maddux seem to think
>alike and don't waste time figuring out what to do, whereas Lopez and
>Maddux sometimes seem to get their signals crossed.
>Scott

Terry May

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
On Sat 03-10-98 14:36, Andrew B. pitched the following:

>The Javy scouting report :
>
> Outside of Chipper Jones may be most important position player ...
>calls a good game, blocks ball well ... maybe the best catcher in the
>game ... brings so much defensively ... throws as well as Ivan
>Rodriguez ...

Javy has come a long way, defensively, particularly with respect to
throwing, but this is nonsense. He's *not* very good at blocking the
ball. He frequently gets lazy and sticks his glove out instead of
getting his body in front of the ball. And he's prone to letting
high fastballs go right by him.

I'm not saying he's bad defensively. Far from it. But he shouldn't
be mentioned in the same paragraph with Rodriguez.
--
Otagger ß1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV
Atlanta Braves - Seven straight division titles!

C. R. Burrell

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98

ce...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<6v5lel$qt9$1...@camel21.mindspring.com>...

Of course Maddux doesn't feel that he can't throw to Javy. It just that
Maddux knew that he would want a grand slam homer last night, and not a
merely 1-run job in the ninth. That'a why he wanted Perez in there last
night.

Russ Burrell

**************************************
**Braves baseball . . . is not lousy**
**************************************

Countdown 8

RobertY524

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98

>Please explain to me
>why Maddux feels he cannot throw to Javy.

Maddux can throw to Javy, he just prefers to throw to Perez. If you watch how
Perez frames those pitches on the corners you'll know why Maddux wants him back
there.
Bob
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
Pablo Picasso

AtlMdx31

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

A number of pitchers around baseball have their own catchers, ones they feel
comfortable with. And Bobby Cox has said that he would give Lopez a day off
every 4 or 5 anyway, so it fits in with Maddux's place in the rotation.

Nick Monitto
AtlM...@aol.com
President and GM, IFL West division SouthPark Cows

Colin T. William

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Scott Willsey wrote:

> Maybe I'm just imagining things, but Perez and Maddux seem to think
> alike and don't waste time figuring out what to do, whereas Lopez and
> Maddux sometimes seem to get their signals crossed.

Of course, how often does Javy get to catch Maddux? Is that one game
every three months supposed to be enough for him to learn to think like
Maddux? The issue seems to become self-perpetuating. If Javy never gets
to catch GM, then of course, they'll never think alike.

Colin

Colin T. William

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Mac Thomason wrote:

> Well, it seems to me that Glavine and Javy tend to always have at least one
> problem a game.

As reflected in Glavine's poor performance this year :-)

Javy caught a CY season by Maddux his first year; a CY season by Smoltz in
1996; great years last season from Glav, Neagel and Smoltz, and probably a
CY for Glav and a great campaign for Smoltz this year. And he did this
years while catching an injured Neagle and a rookie Kevin Millwood, as
well as a lot of excellent IP from the bullpen. Some will say his
abilities merely reflect an excellent staff, but its hard to ignore how
big a part of that success Javy must be.

Colin

Mac Thomason

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Colin T. William wrote in message ...

Oh, I agree that Javy has been ignored, I'm just pointing out that for most
of the season, and actually for the last few years, it seems that Glavine
and Lopez were having at least one long discussion a game on what pitch to
throw next.

I have a theory I'm going to float here. Javy has emerged as a star and as
one of the most important players on the team. (If not the most important;
I'm not entirely willing to say that Chipper's more important.) He is thus
secure in his position and willing to stand up to the starting pitchers.
Eddie's a nice backup, but he's just a backup catcher, and no backup catcher
is going to tell Greg Maddux to do something he doesn't want to.

Mac

Terry May

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
On Mon 05-10-98 09:04, Mac Thomason pitched the following:

>I have a theory I'm going to float here. Javy has emerged as a star and as
>one of the most important players on the team. (If not the most important;
>I'm not entirely willing to say that Chipper's more important.) He is thus
>secure in his position and willing to stand up to the starting pitchers.
>Eddie's a nice backup, but he's just a backup catcher, and no backup catcher
>is going to tell Greg Maddux to do something he doesn't want to.

I don't subscribe to your theory. I don't care if we have Pudge
Rodriguez, nobody's going to tell Glavine what to pitch. If they
have a discussion, it's going to be to learn how Glavine wants to
pitch to a guy or to get on the same page with their signs. It's not
going to be so Javy can tell him what to pitch. He may offer
suggestions, but it's always Glavine's call. (That goes with any of
the pitchers, even Bruce Chen, who was often seen shaking off the
catcher in his starts.)

--
Otagger ß1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV

Atlanta Braves - 1991, 1992, 1995 & 1996 National League Champions!

Michael West

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

Colin T. William wrote in message ...
>Has anyone checked out the ESPNet scouting reports? Some odd, interesting
>notes. Thing that leapt out at me was the suggestion that Javy may be the
>best catcher in teh game, with an arm as strong as that of Ivan Rodrguez.
>Certainly haven't heard that said before.
>
>Of course, they also say Ligtenberg has no postseason experience...
>
>Colin

Colin, although I don't have numbers handy, I did read where Javy has the
best % in throwing out basestealers in the NL.

Michael W.

KeyHit

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

>Has anyone checked out the ESPNet scouting reports? Some odd, interesting
>notes. Thing that leapt out at me was the suggestion that Javy may be the
>best catcher in teh game, with an arm as strong as that of Ivan Rodrguez.

Which is going a bit far, although Javy is still very underrated.

>Of course, they also say Ligtenberg has no postseason experience...

This drove me NUTS! They kept saying it over and over, and I kept saying,
"Guys, it's all right there in the Baseball Register." Can they do a LITTLE
research?

Billy
(don't hate me because I use AOL.)

KeyHit

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

>Oh, I agree that Javy has been ignored, I'm just pointing out that for most
>of the season, and actually for the last few years, it seems that Glavine
>and Lopez were having at least one long discussion a game on what pitch to
>throw next.

Mound conferences happen between every pitcher and catcher. They're not rare.

Colin T. William

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Michael West wrote:

> Colin, although I don't have numbers handy, I did read where Javy has the
> best % in throwing out basestealers in the NL.

I dont know about this; CNNSI has Javys SB% at 33.8%. Probably the
highest of hsi career, but surely not close to highest in either league or
the majors.

Colin

Gregg Rosenberg

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Colin T. William (cwi...@emory.edu) wrote:
:
: Javy caught a CY season by Maddux his first year; a CY season by Smoltz in

: 1996; great years last season from Glav, Neagel and Smoltz, and probably a
: CY for Glav and a great campaign for Smoltz this year. And he did this
: years while catching an injured Neagle and a rookie Kevin Millwood, as
: well as a lot of excellent IP from the bullpen.

Why doesn't anyone ever point out that Maddux hasn't won a Cy since
Perez started catching him, after winning four in a row with other
catchers, including Lopez in 1994 (Maddux' best year)? There's also
the fact that the other starters tend to have higher ERA's with
Perez than with Lopez.

--Gregg

--
http://ai.uga.edu/~ghrosenb

If my mundane understanding of language cannot penetrate
the unfathomable wisdom of your writings, then those
writings are not very useful.

--Nelson Lu

KeyHit

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

>From: "Colin T. William" <cwi...@emory.edu>
>Date: 10/6/98 1:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Don't be TOO sure. I think the average is only about 25%. I-Rod is over 50%,
which of course is the best in the majors, but I wouldn't dismiss the notion
that Javy might be tops in the NL. 33.8% has to be NEAR the top, anyway
(Charles Johnson?).

Billy

Dick Sidbury

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

I remember someone (Pete van Wieren??) in one game mentioning some
catcher (Ausmus?) as having a 46% record against base runners.

dick

Peter Bryant

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Gregg Rosenberg wrote:

> Colin T. William (cwi...@emory.edu) wrote:
> :
> : Javy caught a CY season by Maddux his first year; a CY season by Smoltz in
> : 1996; great years last season from Glav, Neagel and Smoltz, and probably a
> : CY for Glav and a great campaign for Smoltz this year. And he did this
> : years while catching an injured Neagle and a rookie Kevin Millwood, as
> : well as a lot of excellent IP from the bullpen.
>
> Why doesn't anyone ever point out that Maddux hasn't won a Cy since
> Perez started catching him, after winning four in a row with other
> catchers, including Lopez in 1994 (Maddux' best year)? There's also
> the fact that the other starters tend to have higher ERA's with
> Perez than with Lopez.

Well, Maddux deserves a Cy this year, and was damn close last year.
It seems clear to me that the final result (pitching-wise) is
independent of the catcher. The only issue seems to be working
relationship and how many mound conferences are needed to
decide on the next pitch.

All the Braves starters have had excellent seasons with a variety
of different catchers over the last 8 seasons. Why is this talked
about so much?

--Peter

Terry May

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
On Tue 06-10-98 04:34, Colin T. William pitched the following:

>I dont know about this; CNNSI has Javys SB% at 33.8%. Probably the
>highest of hsi career, but surely not close to highest in either league or
>the majors.

Of course, runners steal on pitchers as much as they steal on
catchers, perhaps even more so. I put SB% down there with W-L
records and RBIs as ways of measuring performance.

--
Otagger ß1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV

Atlanta Braves - 1995 World Series Champions!

KeyHit

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

>From: Peter Bryant <bry...@NOSPAMgalileo.ifa.hawaii.edu>
>Date: 10/6/98 6:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time

It's an attempt to create a controversy on a team with which controversies are
very rare.

Billy

Andrew B.

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:14:32 -0400, Dick Sidbury <sid...@cs.uofs.edu>
wrote:

>KeyHit wrote:
>>
>> >From: "Colin T. William" <cwi...@emory.edu>
>> >Date: 10/6/98 1:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>> >I dont know about this; CNNSI has Javys SB% at 33.8%. Probably the
>> >highest of hsi career, but surely not close to highest in either league or
>> >the majors.
>>

>> Don't be TOO sure. I think the average is only about 25%. I-Rod is over 50%,
>> which of course is the best in the majors, but I wouldn't dismiss the notion
>> that Javy might be tops in the NL. 33.8% has to be NEAR the top, anyway
>> (Charles Johnson?).
>
>I remember someone (Pete van Wieren??) in one game mentioning some
>catcher (Ausmus?) as having a 46% record against base runners.

Take out the pitchers caught stealing and Javy does in fact lead the
NL.

National League: With Pitchers Caught Stealing (Pickoffs when the
pitcher initiated the play )
1 Johnson,C, LA 39.8% (37/93)
2 Stinnett,K, Ari 37.2% (29/78)
3 Widger,C, Mon 36.4% (47/129)
4 Ausmus,B, Hou 36.4% (32/88)
5 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)
6 Zaun,G, Fla 33.3% (26/78)
7 Manwaring,K, Col 31.9% (30/94)
8 Hernandez,C, SD 29.3% (24/82)
9 Servais,S, Chi 28.1% (25/89)
10 Kendall,J, Pit 27.8% (32/115)

Without Pickoffs

1 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)
2 Johnson,C, LA 31.7% (26/82)
3 Manwaring,K, Col 29.7% (27/91)
4 Widger,C, Mon 29.3% (34/116)
5 Zaun,G, Fla 26.8% (19/71)
6 Ausmus,B, Hou 25.3% (19/75)
7 Kendall,J, Pit 25.2% (28/111)
8 Hernandez,C, SD 24.7% (19/77)
9 Piazza,M, NY 23.3% (35/150)
10 Servais,S, Chi 22.9% (19/83)

American League: With Pitchers Caught Stealing
1 Rodriguez,I, Tex 56.3% (49/87)
2 Posada,J, NY 40.0% (32/80)
3 Difelice,M, TB 39.5% (32/81)
4 Flaherty,J, TB 37.7% (29/77)
5 Steinbach,T, Min 35.1% (34/97)
6 Hinch,A, Oak 34.0% (35/103)
7 Bako,P, Det 34.0% (36/106)
8 Kreuter,C, Ana 32.9% (26/79)
9 Hatteberg,S, Bos 32.5% (39/120)
10 O'Brien,C, Ana 31.9% (23/72)

Without Pickoffs
1 Rodriguez,I, Tex 52.5% (42/80)
2 Posada,J, NY 37.7% (29/77)
3 Difelice,M, TB 37.2% (29/78)
4 Flaherty,J, TB 35.1% (26/74)
5 Steinbach,T, Min 33.0% (31/94)
6 Kreuter,C, Ana 29.3% (22/75)
7 Bako,P, Det 29.3% (29/99)
8 Hatteberg,S, Bos 27.7% (31/112)
9 Alomar Jr,S, Cle 26.4% (24/91)
10 Nevin,P, Ana 25.0% (18/72)

numbers from Stats Inc.

--Andrew B.

Colin T. William

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Andrew B. wrote:

> Take out the pitchers caught stealing and Javy does in fact lead the NL.
> National League: With Pitchers Caught Stealing (Pickoffs when the
> pitcher initiated the play )
> 1 Johnson,C, LA 39.8% (37/93)

> 5 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)

> Without Pickoffs
> 1 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)
> 2 Johnson,C, LA 31.7% (26/82)

Wow, color me impressed, go Javy! I had no idea his thwoing game had
progressed so far.

Colin

mw...@space.honeywell.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
All:

Marty Winn now writes: Any one got a guess why Atlanta had 0 pickoffs when
Javy was catching and LA (or FLA) pitchers had 11 while Johnson was catching.
Do Brave pitchers just stink picking off runners? I can remember that
Maddux had a pickoff that was scored a Caught Stealing because the runner
broke for the next base. Perez was assumedly catching so this did not effect
Javy's stats. What's the deal here?

In article <361ac3c2...@news.vnet.net>,

andrewb*@vnet.net (Andrew B.) wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:14:32 -0400, Dick Sidbury <sid...@cs.uofs.edu>
> wrote:

> >> Don't be TOO sure. I think the average is only about 25%. I-Rod is over
50%,
> >> which of course is the best in the majors, but I wouldn't dismiss the
notion
> >> that Javy might be tops in the NL. 33.8% has to be NEAR the top, anyway
> >> (Charles Johnson?).
> >
> >I remember someone (Pete van Wieren??) in one game mentioning some
> >catcher (Ausmus?) as having a 46% record against base runners.
> >

> Take out the pitchers caught stealing and Javy does in fact lead the
> NL.
>
> National League: With Pitchers Caught Stealing (Pickoffs when the
> pitcher initiated the play )
> 1 Johnson,C, LA 39.8% (37/93)

> 2 Stinnett,K, Ari 37.2% (29/78)
> 3 Widger,C, Mon 36.4% (47/129)
> 4 Ausmus,B, Hou 36.4% (32/88)

> 5 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)

> 6 Zaun,G, Fla 33.3% (26/78)
> 7 Manwaring,K, Col 31.9% (30/94)
> 8 Hernandez,C, SD 29.3% (24/82)
> 9 Servais,S, Chi 28.1% (25/89)
> 10 Kendall,J, Pit 27.8% (32/115)
>

> Without Pickoffs
>
> 1 Lopez,J, Atl 33.8% (27/80)
> 2 Johnson,C, LA 31.7% (26/82)

Shining the Light,
Marty Winn
http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~winn/marty/pages/gmaddux.htm

Mac Thomason

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

KeyHit wrote in message <19981006005739...@ng114.aol.com>...

>Mound conferences happen between every pitcher and catcher. They're not
rare.
>Billy
>(don't hate me because I use AOL.)

Not like this. Most conferences come about when there's trouble, runners on
base, a tough batter at the plate or on deck. These seem to happen for no
reason except they're disagreeing about what pitch to throw.

C. R. Burrell

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

KeyHit wrote in message <19981006220739...@ng96.aol.com>...

Well, there was that ugly "Polish Sausage" versus "Turkey Kielbasa" at
the post-game mean controversy a few years back....

And didn't they have the controversy last year with Kenny Loftin
regarding the rap music versus best of Morris Albert stuff?

Russ Burrell

Countdown 8

C. R. Burrell

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

Scott Willsey wrote in message <361b306c...@news.calweb.com>...

|On 7 Oct 1998 02:07:39 GMT, key...@aol.comnospam (KeyHit) wrote:
|

|>>All the Braves starters have had excellent seasons with a variety
|>>of different catchers over the last 8 seasons. Why is this talked
|>>about so much?
|>>
|>>--Peter
|>
|>It's an attempt to create a controversy on a team with which
controversies are
|>very rare.
|>

|>Billy
|
|In my case, it has nothing to do with the desire to see or start a
|controversy, but simply a belief that Maddux is more comfortable with
|Perez. I think it shows during the games.

Except that it didn't show as Maddux was winning the Cy Young in the
only year when Lopez caught him full time.....

Russ Burrell

Countdown 8

Terry May

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Wed 07-10-98 10:03, Mac Thomason pitched the following:

>Not like this. Most conferences come about when there's trouble, runners on
>base, a tough batter at the plate or on deck. These seem to happen for no
>reason except they're disagreeing about what pitch to throw.

The operative word being "seem." In fact, you have no idea what
they're talking about. They could be talking about strategy or signs
or any number of things.

--
Otagger ß1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV

KeyHit

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

>From: outr...@lvdi.net (Terry May)
>Date: 10/7/98 11:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>On Wed 07-10-98 10:03, Mac Thomason pitched the following:
>
>>Not like this. Most conferences come about when there's trouble, runners on
>>base, a tough batter at the plate or on deck. These seem to happen for no
>>reason except they're disagreeing about what pitch to throw.
>
>The operative word being "seem." In fact, you have no idea what
>they're talking about. They could be talking about strategy or signs
>or any number of things.

I read an article about mound conferences once. Piazza once went to the mound
with Candiotti pitching and said, "So, did you watch Beavis and Butthead last
night?"

Billy

Coral

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

mw...@space.honeywell.com wrote in message
<6vg2rc$esa$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>All:
>
>Marty Winn now writes: Any one got a guess why Atlanta had 0 pickoffs when
>Javy was catching and LA (or FLA) pitchers had 11 while Johnson was
catching.
> Do Brave pitchers just stink picking off runners?

Baserunners, the few that exist, just don't attempt to run on the Braves
pitching staff. Both John Smoltz and Tom Glavine are very quick to the
plate, and Greg Maddux just doesn't put anyone on. Look at how many few
attempts were tried this year. Smoltz usually lead the staff with fewest
steals tried, and I believe only 4 tried to steal on Glavine after the
break.

Terry May

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
On Thu 08-10-98 08:22, KeyHit pitched the following:

>I read an article about mound conferences once. Piazza once went to the mound
>with Candiotti pitching and said, "So, did you watch Beavis and Butthead last
>night?"

Reminds me of a story about Joe Montana in a real pressure situation
(I think it was a game winning drive in the Super Bowl against the
Bengals). He came into the huddle and said, "Hey look over there,
John Candy is in the stands!" Loosened everybody up and the rest, as
they say, is history.

--
Otagger ß1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV

Atlanta Braves - Seven straight division titles!

KeyHit

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

>From: hangtow...@thelostweb.com (Scott Willsey)
>Date: 10/8/98 9:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:41:17 -0400, "C. R. Burrell"
><bur...@baseballmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Except that it didn't show as Maddux was winning the Cy Young in the
>>only year when Lopez caught him full time.....
>>

>>Russ Burrell
>>
>>Countdown 8
>>

>I didn't say "uncomfortable with Lopez", I said "MORE comfortable"
>with Perez. Did they have Perez then?? No...

However, they did have Charlie O'Brien, but he caught Smoltz that year.

Billy