Julio -- "An at-bat for the ages" (TSN)

1 view

CoolHandDuke tbdm

Apr 19, 2004, 3:34:29 PM4/19/04
Julio Franco: TWGH. :)

An at-bat for the ages
04/19/2004
Ken Rosenthal
Sporting News

Thirteen pitches, seven foul balls with two strikes, a bases-loaded showdown
that electrified a routine game.

The Braves' Julio Franco, 45, finally prevailed over Cubs reliever Kyle
Farnsworth on April 10, drilling a go-ahead, opposite-field, three-run double
over the head of right fielder Sammy Sosa.

Franco, who worked the count from 0-2 to 3-2, says it was his best at-bat ever.
Braves manager Bobby Cox calls it "one of the all-timers." Phillies scout
Gordon Lakey agrees.

"The two most memorable at-bats I've seen in person were George Brett's home
run off (Rich) Gossage in the 1980 playoffs and Gene Garber striking out Pete
Rose to end his (44-game hitting) streak," Lakey says. "But as far as an
ordinary game, this was the most impressive."

Farnsworth was throwing 95 to 99 mph, while mixing in a mid-80s breaking ball,
but he never came inside.

"I knew if he stayed out there, I had a chance," Franco says.

Senior writer Ken Rosenthal covers baseball for Sporting News. Email him at
kenros...@sportingnews.com.

George W. Bush Is A Liar And A Fraud
http://www.johnkerry.com/
Cheney Is A Real Dick