Please help a beginner!

Nathan L. Clegg

Nov 15, 1994, 8:55:31 AM11/15/94

Greetings all weightlifters...

I've just received a weight machine and would like to start
working out. My goal is to get bigger and stronger, not to
become Mr. Universe. I was hoping some of you pros
out there could help me get started.

First I need a program. From the reading and observing I've
done, what seems best is to work out three times a week (I'd do
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). Is this true? Although I could
do it in the afternoon, the most convenient time for me is at
night, soon before I go to bed. I can hop in the shower and then
hit the sack. Are there any reasons that this isn't a good idea?

What exercises should I begin with? How many reps each?

Again, I am *just* starting. I was hoping that someone more
experienced than I could help me out defining a program that
would be good for a beginner such as myself and then how to
progress.

Please reply in e-mail or in this newsgroup. Thanks in advance!

--
Nathan Clegg
ncl...@io.com

Chris D Koeberle

Nov 15, 1994, 3:12:12 PM11/15/94
Nathan Clegg (mor...@mcmuse.mc.maricopa.edu) wrote:
> First I need a program. From the reading and observing I've

I would say the first stop on your program should be to buy a good book
or two on weight training. It should be significantly more comprehensive
than this newsgroup might be. Ask around for some recommedations.

> Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). Is this true? Although I could
> do it in the afternoon, the most convenient time for me is at
> night, soon before I go to bed. I can hop in the shower and then
> hit the sack. Are there any reasons that this isn't a good idea?

Well, i wouldn't exactly call a shower and sleep a good cool-down period,
for one. :)

> What exercises should I begin with? How many reps each?

The ones you won't injure yourself doing. And not enough reps to injure
yourself. :)
--
_ __/| chris koeberle ***** did you hear something outside it sounded like
\`o.O' kod...@netcom.com *** a gun stay away from that window boy it's not