Disagreement ...

1 view

Harry Archer

Nov 2, 2003, 5:49:29 AM11/2/03
Have just read the following WSA News release
http://www.worldsnooker.com/snooker_media_centre/world_snooker/articleshow.asp?articleID=1626&categoryID=1
and am a little mystified by Sir Rodney Walker's comment : "We are lucky to
have the support of BBC TV and BSkyB. We have more TV coverage than any
other sport with the exception of football .............."

Does anyone else agree that we have more snooker coverage than that of golf
or horse racing or cricket for example?

These kind of comments frustrate me immensely when it is clearly not the
case. Does anyone else agree? Just curious.

Harry.

Karl Goddard

Nov 2, 2003, 6:47:02 AM11/2/03
Its a question of perception. If we look at terrestrial TV...

Snooker gets saturation coverage during events - 5 hours+ per day is quite
common during an event - but events on the BBC are separated by lengthily
spells - LG Cup, a month gap, then UK Champs, 2 month gap, then Masters,
almost 3 month gap, then Embassy WC.

Horse Racing, for example, is shown frequently on TV - e.g. on a weekly
basis on Grandstand - but the actual length of coverage is normally only for
a few minutes - preview to race, the race itself, back to Hazel in the
studio. There are exceptions - Royal Ascot for instance where we may get an
afternoon or two of horse racing, but overall we don't see any extensive
coverage of horse racing, just little snippets, frequently.

So, if you counted up the actual screen time, snooker will almost certainly
get more coverage than horse racing, boxing, golf or tennis. But, because we
get isolated spells of excellent coverage, it appears that 'snooker is never
on the telly'.

Well, that's my view of it anyway!

Karl

"Harry Archer" <ha092003@[remove]hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dutchnugget

Nov 2, 2003, 9:33:42 AM11/2/03

"Karl Goddard" <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht

> Its a question of perception. If we look at terrestrial TV...
>
> Snooker gets saturation coverage during events - 5 hours+ per day is
quite
> common during an event - but events on the BBC are separated by lengthily
> spells - LG Cup, a month gap, then UK Champs, 2 month gap, then Masters,
> almost 3 month gap, then Embassy WC.
>
> Horse Racing, for example, is shown frequently on TV - e.g. on a weekly
> basis on Grandstand - but the actual length of coverage is normally only
for
> a few minutes - preview to race, the race itself, back to Hazel in the
> studio. There are exceptions - Royal Ascot for instance where we may get
an
> afternoon or two of horse racing, but overall we don't see any extensive
> coverage of horse racing, just little snippets, frequently.
>
> So, if you counted up the actual screen time, snooker will almost
certainly
> get more coverage than horse racing, boxing, golf or tennis. But, because
we
> get isolated spells of excellent coverage, it appears that 'snooker is
never
> on the telly'.
>
> Well, that's my view of it anyway!

I think you are absolutely right Karl

Vortex

Nov 2, 2003, 5:26:27 PM11/2/03
I agree...
.... but I wouldn't mind if there would be more snooker on telly ;)

"Dutchnugget" <dutch*remove*nug...@quicknet.nl> schreef in bericht

Global Snooker

Nov 4, 2003, 9:02:05 AM11/4/03
Snooker is a WORLD sport so it seems unfortunate that the first comments
should concentrate on terrestrial coverage available to only the UK
snooker is shown on tv in a number of countries - packaged highlights of the
bbc or sky events on Eurosport for instance
and countries like Thailand, China, India etc televise their own "domestic"
snooker and Eurosport network the European championships, but the main
professional tour is really very poorly televised in vast parts of the
snooker world.

If WORLD snooker is to be totally UK based and seeking uk sponsorship then
yes bbc and sky coverage is great - but it's a very narrow minded blinkered
view of a Global sport, in my opinion.

--

Janie E Watkins
globalsno...@lineone.net

Karl Goddard

Nov 4, 2003, 10:05:30 AM11/4/03
Sir Rodney's comments were almost certainly directed at the coverage snooker
gets in the UK and the parts of Europe which can get BBC and or BSkyB
broadcasts, hence my comments regarding snooker coverage relating to other
sports.

Snooker is certainly not a world sport. It never has been and never will be.
Having the potential to be a world sport and being a world sport are two
different things.

I'd bet its safe to say that there is near zero TV coverage of snooker in
North America, zero coverage in South America, zero coverage throughout
Africa and, if the comments from the Australian posters to this group are
factual, snooker's TV coverage is minimal in Australia and New Zealand -
which is quite alarming don't you think, considering A) the Australians love
of sport, and B) the huge ex-pat community in Aus / NZ.

We can't even say with any degree of truth that snooker is even a European
sport. Bluntly speaking snooker is a British sport that's played (probably
marginally when compared with each individual country's sporting activities)
in other countries - China, Thailand and probably India excluded.

"Global Snooker" <globalsno...@lineone.net> wrote in message

Austin K. Williams

Nov 4, 2003, 10:23:17 AM11/4/03
Ouch! Those reality checks smart, don't they?

"Karl Goddard" <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Karl Goddard

Nov 4, 2003, 11:09:52 AM11/4/03
to the best of my knowledge what I posted is overall a pretty accurate, but
also very general, assessment of snooker as a 'world sport' - bluntly put or
not bluntly put.

I wasn't intending to be rude or shirty, but snooker is not a global sport
but anyone who says it is, is quite simply wrong.

It had a huge potential, but through bad administration and poor /
inexperienced leadership the sport is currently in somewhat of a decline. I
truly hope it reaches the heights it once achieved in it's 'golden days',
but I'm not going to hold my breath :-)

"Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Austin K. Williams

Nov 4, 2003, 12:13:49 PM11/4/03
Karl,

I agree entirely with your assessment. The sin of hubris is coming back to
haunt UK snooker. By failing so miserably to promote and expand the game
into markets other than the UK, snooker was left vulnerable to any
significant reduction in support in its home market. That reduction has
occurred and the game is in ruins. Furthermore, in neglecting to seed the
game amongst youngsters across the globe, snooker has, at best, a grim
future. Too bad, greatest cuesport ever.

Austin

"Karl Goddard" <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Gerard Armstrong

Nov 5, 2003, 5:14:40 PM11/5/03
In the sport's 'Golden Days' it was even more concentrated in the UK than it
is now. The professional game is almost exclusively UK based, but snooker
as a game is played all over the world in very large numbers, and the
standard in many of these countries is rising all the time.

If that is decline, then I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Belgium, Iceland and Finland have all provided European Champions in the
past 6 years in the form of Bjorn Haneveer, Robin Hull and Kristjan
Helgasson and all 3 now feature on the main tour. Marco Fu was IBSF
champion 6 years ago and is now a top pro so hopefully both Australian Steve
Misfud and Pakistan's Pankaj Advani, the last 2 IBSF champions will progress
through the professional ranks.

Snooker may not be in great shape, but people all over the world are still
playing and players from around the world are still making their way through
the pro ranks. It is most definitely still a WORLD sport, and what time the
highlights show starts on BBC2 doesn't change that fact.

Karl Goddard

Nov 6, 2003, 3:41:54 AM11/6/03
This is one of those very few times where I have to agree fully with you
Peter.

"GAG" <g...@girlsandguns.co.uk.INVALID> wrote in message

> How can it be a world sport if most of the world cant even see it .

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 11:25:02 AM11/6/03
Since when was the definition of a world sport defined by TV coverage?

"GAG" <g...@girlsandguns.co.uk.INVALID> wrote in message

> <alt.sport.snooker , Gerard Armstrong , ga009...@blueyonder.co.uk>

> > Snooker may not be in great shape, but people all over the world are
still
> > playing and players from around the world are still making their way
through
> > the pro ranks. It is most definitely still a WORLD sport, and what time
the
> > highlights show starts on BBC2 doesn't change that fact.
> >

> How can it be a world sport if most of the world cant even see it .
>

> UK is only local coverage if you look at the big round thing from outer
> space .

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 12:07:28 PM11/6/03
Good point. What does TV have to do with sports anyways? Just because it
connects advertising revenues to the various sports organizations, gives
sponsors a ready-made market for their products and generates salaries,
promotion budgets and public awareness of the sport, TV isn't everything.

Look at lacrosse or curling or horseshoes - oops, you can't - they're not on
TV. Well I'm sure they're doing fine wherever they are. On the other hand,
who would have any interest at all in "fringe" sports like skateboarding,
motocross or cheerleading - oops, millions, I guess due to exposure on TV.

Get real, Gerry. Sports IS television and if a given sport can't grab a
slice of the media ($$$) pie, it is doomed. On that basis, snooker is in the
last stages of a terminal illness. Women's snooker? Dead. Women snooker
players? Alive and well playing US 9-ball on ESPN. You figure out the
difference.

Austin

"Gerry Armstrong" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

PockitWeesil

Nov 6, 2003, 12:34:54 PM11/6/03

Exactly so !

Weesil would additionally observe that although inclusion of a
sport in the Olympic Games may not be everyone's definition of
world-wide participation, that is certainly one of the criteria
applied by the IOC.

Snooker, of course, has been recognised by the IOC for some years
and is also included in the programme for the Asian Games (which
unfortunately did not get any coverage on the BBC)

A glance at the IBSF membership on http://www.ibsf.org/ may also
be of interest, as presumably these countries would only be
affiliated to the IBSF if the population played snooker .. or
billiards, of course. If you don't want to look it up, the
numbers are:

Africa .. 7
Americas .. 2
Asia .. 31
Europe .. 24
Oceania .. 4

Nothing from Antarctica unfortunately, but it does seem to cover
most continents.

Despite what they may like you to think, snooker as a game, does
not revolve around the WPBSA, its professional circuit, or its
negotiating skills with TV companies (thankfully).

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:25:02 -0000, "Gerry Armstrong"
<no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

: Since when was the definition of a world sport defined by TV coverage?

:

Karl Goddard

Nov 6, 2003, 12:36:34 PM11/6/03
Give the man a coconut!

TV broadcast rights are the Holy Grail of the sports business and are an
excellent indicator of the 'popularity' of a sport. Without them any sport
would be almost certain to become extinct - even the big boys like F1,
football, golf and tennis. Snooker would like to go global, but it can't
because it's not a globally marketable sport. Main reason being it's single
county centric - well the UK, but you get what I mean.

Barry Hearn tried to take it global in the 1980's - USA, South America,
Mexico, Middle East and the Far East. His only real success was in the Far
East. If Hearn can't pull the gig off in the biggest market of all the
numpty's in Bristol and part time administrators certainly can't.

If there was a demand for global syndication of a snooker event some
enterprising TV production company would supply the demand. The absence of
no worldwide coverage of snooker indicates there simply is no significant
interest of the sport overseas.

Sad but true.

"Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Karl Goddard

Nov 6, 2003, 12:50:37 PM11/6/03
Chris,

I think we could argue about the definition of a 'global' sport all day
long. Yes snooker is a global sport if you say it's physically played in
Tunisia or Bahrain or some other obscure corner of the world, but it could
never be seen as a global commodity in same way other sports are.

My view is that snooker cannot be seen as global sport (or commodity) when
viewed against the likes of Tennis, Golf, Rugby Union, F1, Cricket etc

"PockitWeesil" <gra...@hole.com> wrote in message

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 2:46:29 PM11/6/03
I wholeheartedly disagree. Sport is most certainly not TV and television
coverage does not define whether a sport is played and enjoyed around the
world by millions of people.

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 2:47:46 PM11/6/03
Here here!!! (Gerry waves his dispatch papers in vigorous agreement).

Karl Goddard

Nov 6, 2003, 3:41:04 PM11/6/03
Once again, I have to agree with our resident Armenian asylum seeker Peter.
Twice in a week.... I feel faint

The IOC has recognised snooker..... and what tangible benefit has that
honour bestowed on snooker? Now't at all.

What improvement in the marketability, or public awareness of snooker has
this achieved. None, or none that is apparent to me and quite a few others
in the group.

I'd rather have a blinkered (yet realistic) view of snooker than have a
blindfolded view of snooker.

> <alt.sport.snooker , Gerry Armstrong , no...@nowhere.com>

> > Here here!!! (Gerry waves his dispatch papers in vigorous agreement).
> >
> > "PockitWeesil" <gra...@hole.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Snooker, of course, has been recognised by the IOC for some years
> >

> Eh ? .
>
> Snooker could be recognised by slartibartfast for all the difference it
> makes .

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 4:11:02 PM11/6/03
No, it's a world sport AND it's played by millions of people around the
world. Glad we got that one cleared up.

> <alt.sport.snooker , Gerry Armstrong , no...@nowhere.com>
>

> > I wholeheartedly disagree. Sport is most certainly not TV and
television
> > coverage does not define whether a sport is played and enjoyed around
the
> > world by millions of people.
> >
> > "Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > Good point. What does TV have to do with sports anyways? Just because
it
> > > connects advertising revenues to the various sports organizations,
gives
> > > sponsors a ready-made market for their products and generates
salaries,
> > > promotion budgets and public awareness of the sport, TV isn't
everything.

> I see .
>
> The new official truth is - its not a world sport anymore - just one
> thats played around the world .

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 4:19:47 PM11/6/03

> I'd rather have a blinkered (yet realistic) view of snooker than have a
> blindfolded view of snooker.

OK, perhaps we're arguing/talking about 2 different things here. Let's see
if we can make some progress and clear a few things up.

When you refer to snooker, exactly what do you mean? Are you talking about
the WSA professional circuit or the game at large?

I don't think there is anyone who would disagree that snooker at
professional level is in a pretty sorry state and has been for a number of
years. But despite that fact, millions of people around the world still
play the game and an increasing number of countries are becoming involved in
competitive snooker and are starting to produce professional standard
players.

That to me says that despite the frankly awful running and administration
the professional game has endured for many a long year, the sport continues
to survive and will surely grow and flourish again in the fullness of time
when the fannies are finally sorted out and the pro scene is organised and
run in a fit and proper way that the sport deserves.

Anything there you'd care to agree with?

Sandy Morton

Nov 6, 2003, 4:27:01 PM11/6/03
In article <fNyqb.2$kD...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, Gerry Armstrong

<no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> No, it's a world sport AND it's played by millions of people around the
> world. Glad we got that one cleared up.

Best comment so far.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

Sandy Morton

Nov 6, 2003, 4:32:09 PM11/6/03
In article <rVyqb.53$YE...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Gerry Armstrong <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Anything there you'd care to agree with?

Total agreement for the second time in about 10 minuets.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
Council Member for Area 4

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 4:39:49 PM11/6/03
OK, so TV is king.

Then explain to me why, despite the largest TV contract in the history of UK
football being currently in place, there are more clubs in debt and
administration than at any time in history, more and more pro footballers
and ending up on the dole and what little investment there is in grass roots
level football comes from lottery handouts which has sod all to do with
Sky's cheque book.

Perhaps I'm not the one who needs to "get real".

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 4:58:12 PM11/6/03
Gerry,

Depends on your view of the way things work. If you look at things from the
grassroots or supply level, it would seem you've got lots of participation
with talent rising all the way up to the semi- and pro levels. If you look
at things from the demand side, you've got megabucks at the pro level
generating dependent demand on each and every level all the way down. There
are always inefficiencies and inconsistencies in the movement of money
downwards and talent upwards. Basic economics tells us that such problems
will resolve themselves absent governmental interference and/or monopolistic
practices.

You appear to view things from the supply side and from that perspective I
can see where you might see things as problematic but not especially dire.
Should you consider things from the demand side, I think you'll quickly come
to the conclusion that without money feeding the pro level, demand will very
shortly crater throughout the remaining levels.

Think about it.

Austin

"Gerry Armstrong" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 5:04:18 PM11/6/03
If that was the case it would be dead by now.

Many other sports which don't get large amounts of TV coverage or revenue
continue to thrive while other sports who do get the coverage and revenue
flounder on the rocks. I have thought about it and my conclusions are
clear.

Snooker is a great sport, its my sport and I love it, and fortunately there
are millions of others like me, and no amount of incompetence at the top
level of the sport will kill it, in my honest opinion.

After all, what else is there left for them to make an arse of?

"Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Global Snooker

Nov 6, 2003, 5:28:15 PM11/6/03
wee welsh witch sadly drowned in her cauldron.

but as I come up for my last gasp of breath then I''m with Weesil, Gerry and
Sandy on this one.

but it's nice to actually see a decent debate on ASS again - I must find a
snorkle see if I can climb up the sides of my cauldron.

--

> <alt.sport.snooker , Karl Goddard , karlosDO...@ntlworld.com>

> > Once again, I have to agree with our resident Armenian asylum seeker
Peter.
> > Twice in a week.... I feel faint
> >

> Best not to say that sort of stuff in public ..... I can almost hear the
> wee witch warming up her cauldron :-)

Karl Goddard

Nov 6, 2003, 5:30:22 PM11/6/03
once again, for those of us who have difficulty in understanding.... just
because it is played overseas does not make it a 'global' sport. Yes, it is
geographically a global sport, but it is not commercially a global sport.
Unless of course it's a 'global' sport that just happens to be played almost
entirely in the UK.

If you have difficulty in understanding that, you must be dense. Rude?
probably but I've had enough of going round in circles.

Snooker is bigger in terms of participation numbers and TV broadcast time -
an indication of a sports popularity - than almost every sport in the UK. It
beats hands down mainstream sports like Tennis, Cricket, Rugby Union, Golf
etc. Therefore, the sport must be an attractive package, loved by millions
(in the UK) that's why it gets pretty decent coverage on TV and why the BBC
parts with millions of our pounds to secure the rights to show it - because
there is an audience who wants to see it.

Why then is this not the case for snooker on the worldwide stage, when the
'lesser' sports mentioned above make it to the big time overseas? Because
the 'customer' base is not there. It's neither played on a large enough
scale or the general interest isn't there. The only probable exception to
this is China - and that mammoth potential audience isn't as attractive as
it first appears, as about 40% of the nation live in abject poverty.

Snooker is played overseas - no one is denying that, but it is played
marginally when compared to other sports - eg Judo is more popular in France
than snooker, power boat racing is more popular than snooker in Italy. Two
dimensional examples admittedly but it may illustrate that snooker is way
down the list on the sporting agenda as soon as you cross the English
Channel.

If snooker is this all singing and all dancing, cancer curing, all things to
all sportsmen of a sport, where are the international tournaments? where are
the major, heavyweight international sponsors? Where's the snooker coverage
on ESPN. When was the last major tournament held overseas? When did a non UK
country last hold a successful, major event?

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any, there is none, there hasn't
been any.

You can agree with that, or you can disagree with that (which I'm guessing
you'll probably do)

Anyway, that's my view, like it or not. End of discussion from this end.

"GAG" <g...@girlsandguns.co.uk.INVALID> wrote in message

> <alt.sport.snooker , Karl Goddard , karlosDO...@ntlworld.com>
>

> > Once again, I have to agree with our resident Armenian asylum seeker
Peter.
> > Twice in a week.... I feel faint

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 5:47:34 PM11/6/03
Gerry,

Snooker is also very near and dear to me. I consider it a game of elegance
and finesse, a rare and precious thing these days.

Unfortunately, the game is doomed. I saw it die in Canada and that show is
coming to you folks courtesy of political correctness and the corporate
imperative to maximize profits. The first might have been avoided -
nobody'll be smoking anyways in 25 years due to social pressure alone. The
second, however, is the real killer.

There's just no way to reconcile the foregone revenue at the club level when
snooker is compared to the higher $/sqft return and broader market appeal of
pool games. Furthermore, the demands of the game are way out of line with
the leisure time choices and instant gratification today's youngsters favor.
As snooker playing venues dry up and potential players occupy themselves
with other pursuits, truly talented snooker players will become increasingly
rare. As will the people who could appreciate their mastery of this
wonderful game. Shame. Best cue game ever.

Austin

"Gerry Armstrong" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 5:54:04 PM11/6/03
Then why are you involved in a site called, of all things, Global Snooker?

"Karl Goddard" <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

<snip>

Sandy Morton

Nov 6, 2003, 5:53:52 PM11/6/03
In article <3faac...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Global Snooker

<globalsno...@lineone.net> wrote:
> wee welsh witch sadly drowned in her cauldron.

I am an optimist - the bottle is half full - or a pessimist - the same
bottle is half empty! Hope your cauldron was full of something nice.

> but as I come up for my last gasp of breath then I''m with Weesil, Gerry
> and Sandy on this one.

In all honesty I would prefer to play billiards but it's difficult to get
a decent game, on a decent table and with decent opposition these days.
Snooker at a local participant level is still a great game with a very
large support. At TV level we need the high profile performers - we all
have our own favourites - but we need sponsors! I am very involved in
Curling where Scotland and the UK are amongst the best in the world but we
also need sponsors. Therefore the quality of the game and it's
participants are important but the people with the megabucks are very much
more important.

> but it's nice to actually see a decent debate on ASS again - I must find
> a snorkle see if I can climb up the sides of my cauldron.

Most people would use a ladder but maybe a snooker cue up your "ASS" would
help:-) sorry couldn't resist!

--
A T (Sandy) Morton

on the Bicycle Island
In the Global Village
http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 5:56:35 PM11/6/03
I have to disagree that the game is doomed. I guess we'll have to agree to
disagree. However, I have enjoyed at least having a discussion. Gets very
quiet in here!!

"Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 5:56:51 PM11/6/03
Hey Janie,

What's with the links on GSC? Lots of dead ends. Have the targets changed
location or have they gone down?

Austin

"Global Snooker" <globalsno...@lineone.net> wrote in message

Sandy Morton

Nov 6, 2003, 5:58:48 PM11/6/03
In article <boej2a$4qg$1...@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Austin K. Williams
<AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote:

> There's just no way to reconcile the foregone revenue at the club level
> when snooker is compared to the higher $/sqft return and broader market
> appeal of pool games.

Pool is an abomination played on toy tables with pockets you could drive a
JCB into. Snooker is a game of grace and skill.

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 6:04:33 PM11/6/03
Shame I didn't see it that way. You might want to work on your quoting
skills, Sandy.

"Snooker is also very near and dear to me. I consider it a game of elegance
and finesse, a rare and precious thing these days."

"Sandy Morton" <a...@sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Bob Jewett

Nov 6, 2003, 8:37:29 PM11/6/03
Karl Goddard <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> The IOC has recognised snooker..... and what tangible benefit has that
> honour bestowed on snooker? Now't at all.

Um, well, in some countries it means that the government is
giving direct financial support to the national cue sports
organization. Italy is one such country, which would explain
the many new Italian faces in the pro snooker events. Well,
maybe not yet.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 8:40:42 PM11/6/03
"Bob Jewett" <jew...@sfbilliards.com> wrote in message

I might as well reply as no-one else will. Some people don't like facts
getting in the way of their opinion.

Austin K. Williams

Nov 6, 2003, 8:54:45 PM11/6/03
So now you're pinning your hopes on governments supporting the game? That's
just plain pathetic.

"Gerry Armstrong" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Gerry Armstrong

Nov 6, 2003, 10:02:25 PM11/6/03
No, but someone pointed out that IOC recognition has done nothing for the
sport where in actual fact, in Italy at least it has. Fact vs opinion.

And in some cases, government support can be very valuable. For example, in
the upcoming billiards championships in India next month, the Indian
government is footing the bill for entire tournament. Scotland is sending
two representatives and the flights, accommodation and a daily allowance is
all included, all courtesy of the Indian Billiards Association which is
funding the whole thing via government backing. Again, fact vs opinion.

"Austin K. Williams" <AustinW...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Karl Goddard

Nov 7, 2003, 2:18:35 AM11/7/03
Thanks for the reply Bob,

Do you happen to know which countries associations will get financial
support? I'd like to see what sort of sums will be coming into snooker now
that it has IOC recognition.

Regards,
Karl

Bob Jewett

Nov 7, 2003, 1:30:53 PM11/7/03
Karl Goddard <karlosDO...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Do you happen to know which countries associations will get
> financial support? I'd like to see what sort of sums will be
> coming into snooker now that it has IOC recognition.

Unfortunately, no. The US is one country in which the NOC
(national Olympic committee) has not yet recognized cue sports,
and it goes on a country-by-country basis. I'm pretty sure that
most countries in Europe have government support for all IOC-
recognized organizations. Often the problem is for the gvmnt to
decide which of several organizations to support. In some cases,
the chosen organization is incapable or unwilling to support all
three major disciplines.