Should I go for a splat ?

VM

Jun 2, 2004, 11:34:41 PM6/2/04
When I get a poor shot (eg. a bad ceiling close to the side wall) should I
try to go for a splat (and kill it) or should I go for a low down-the-line
or crosscourts? In my experience, the splats are a sure point or sideout (if
they come out correctly) but they can be dangerous if they're too high. They
usually come out too high and my opponent kills it with a soft pinch. SO
lately I've working more on crosscourts, low passing shots, instead of
risking it with a splat.

Is this a good idea?

Spiderman

Jun 2, 2004, 11:42:35 PM6/2/04
vonchi ... I think you need to practice your splats a lot more. If you're
not confident you can hit with a 70% success rate ... you need to hit
another shot or practice til you get to it. Tonight ... my splat percentage
killed me ... I was probably 25% but I kept at it cause I was working on
endurance ... I often wear this kind of "scuba suit" which challenges my
energy level after 2-3 games and I have to make more of a mental committment
to move ... period! Again ... handicap during actual play is hard to "best"
in the weight/cardio room.

Ed.
--
ProRacquetball.Net
http://www.ProRacquetball.Net

Racquetball Central
http://www.RacquetballCentral.Com

"VM" <vonc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jordan Kahn

Jun 3, 2004, 12:09:52 AM6/3/04
Depending on the shot, your ability and if your game is "on or off", play
"percentages" of what allows you the best chance.

Practice "lower" percentage shots to increase you chances.

Assuming you are near the side wall AND in the back corner.

Best return shot is a cross court pass, which can be hit from any height
regardless if you are off balance or have a setup.

Depending on how hard you hit the ball dictates the contact height on the front
wall. This should be hit hard enough to pass the opponent but not hard and high
enough to be played off the back wall.

A good cross-court pass will be hit high on the front wall so the first bounce
will occur near mid court. If the ball bounces before mid court, or in front of
your opponent, the ball will slow down and may become returnable.

Hitting the "Cross-Court" pass is a higher percentage than the down-the-line
pass because it has less chance to "nick" the side wall in either direction
before or after hitting the front wall.

A down-the -line pass will also ‘trap" the hitter into that back corner.

A cross-court pass allows the hitter to move away and out of the back corner to
a better center court position without hindering the opponent.

The old saying, "Pass for Dough and Kill for Show" applies.

If you are good enough to hit a "kill shot" or a "splat shot" you should be
good enough to hit the pass shot.

Obvious exceptions occur when the only shot available will force you into
hitting a "splat" when the ball dies in the corner or passes the hitter.

Another "percentage shot" is a soft touch from deep back court with the wrist.
This is a do-or-die effort when you can’t hit a ceiling or high lob pass shot
with the wrist.

You are just hitting the ball with a limited arc to the front wall (pass or
pinch) at about 55 MPH and aiming for a slow kill shot.

This can also be practiced, on either foot, facing different off-balance
positions in the back corners.

This resembles a baseball in-fielder scooping up a ball and throwing to first
base when off balance and facing the wrong position, but a lot slower.

Jordan

--

Subject: Should I go for a splat ?
From: "VM" vonc...@yahoo.com
Date: 6/2/2004 10:34 PM Central Standard Time

LunkHead

Jun 3, 2004, 3:59:40 AM6/3/04
"VM" <vonc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Kbwvc.282$783...@fe39.usenetserver.com>...

It all depends on your opponent's skill, game play type and more
importantly his/her court positioning at the time you want to take the
shot. I would say if your opponent is center court or back to go for
the spalt. If your opponent is forward of center court to go for a
passing shot or cross court. Every situation is going to be
different.. Are you playing a power or finesse player? Does this
person have good court positioning and are they of the highly mobile
super fast type. What works against one player will not work against
necessarily work against the next.....

I have always had great success and have had others have great success
against me with passing shots...

I know I did not help much, but that's my 2 cents on it….

pds

Jun 9, 2004, 1:39:48 AM6/9/04
I think the key thing is how far forward your opponent is, the odds
he will get to the likely path of the ball and if a slight miss will still
pressure
him or set him up for an easy high percentage shot.

Splats are low percentage compared to low hard pass attempts that don't fly
off the back wall.

That said, I know I rely pretty heavily on ceiling balls that make my
opponents hit over the shoulder (usually with the backhand) from deep in the
corner of the court. The two other "low percentage" offensive shots that
hurt me
most from the over shoulder hit are frontside splat and reverse pinch. If
you can "master" those shots they will serve you well. Prior to working
real hard on either of those shots though you should really make
sure your down the line and cross court passes are consistently not hitting
the back or side
wall. Wide angle pass is another good one. The best thing about the splat
is when
you can use it to punish the opponent for not moving up when you have pushed
him behind you and captured center court. The key thing is to remember it
is kind of like the icing on the cake when you can master the splats and
then use them sparingly to compliment your passes.