Nice cue or not?

Poolplayer

May 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/21/00
Viking, Helmstetter, Lucasi, a low end custom cue. I hear this fella named Sheldon
of Sheldoncue.com makes a pretty mean hitting cue :).

LAWLERJD wrote:

> I thank both of you for your responses. So what do you guys suggest instead of
> a Meucci? Thanks for your time
>
> Joe

John Walkup

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
LAWLERJD wrote:

> I thank both of you for your responses. So what do you guys suggest instead of
> a Meucci?

How much are you wanting to spend?

--
The Cue Gallery http://www.cuegallery.com

Top quality custom cues by :
Michael Capone Russ Espiritu Nova Cues Inc. Greg Winningham

waldo...@my-deja.com

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
You hear correctly about Sheldon Cues! He makes a sweet stick. Worth
much more than he charges. A great cue for the money! Get one before the
price goes up, they won't stay at the current rate for long.

Ww "Happy Sheldon Lebow cue owner"

In article <3928BB47...@yahoo.com>,

Poolplayer <pool...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Viking, Helmstetter, Lucasi, a low end custom cue. I hear this fella
named Sheldon
> of Sheldoncue.com makes a pretty mean hitting cue :).
>

> LAWLERJD wrote:
>
> > I thank both of you for your responses. So what do you guys suggest
instead of

> > a Meucci? Thanks for your time
> >
> > Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Walkup

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
waldo...@my-deja.com wrote:

> You hear correctly about Sheldon Cues! He makes a sweet stick. Worth
> much more than he charges. A great cue for the money! Get one before the
> price goes up, they won't stay at the current rate for long.

Okay, I take it back. Rec.sport.billiard.marketplace would not be
such a bad idea. Yeah, I said that the proliferation of SPAM wasn't
so bad, but what did I know? I was young, and naive.

--
John

Bradley E. Robertson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

John wrote:

> Okay, I take it back. Rec.sport.billiard.marketplace would not be
> such a bad idea. Yeah, I said that the proliferation of SPAM wasn't
> so bad, but what did I know? I was young, and naive.

John a good and true salesman won't complain about a competitor's product,
he would be on the phone trying to pickup that hot selling line.

Brad . . . who's dad was a super salesman

John Walkup

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

Did I complain about the product? Besides, I don't allow the fact that
I sell billiard products prostitute my opinions. I say what I want to
say.
There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and
r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and
r.s.b.
has tolerated it as long as they have.

--
John

Bradley E. Robertson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
I can't believe your serious, John.

Brad . . . tell me it isn't so, Joe

P. S.

> Did I complain about the product?

Let me replace product with competition

Besides, I don't allow the fact that
> I sell billiard products prostitute my opinions. I say what I want to
> say.

Knowing you are in the cue Business influenced how I viewed your

> There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and

> r.s.b. for this not to be organized. [must think these spontaneous
outbursts from happy customers is blatant advertising]

I am surprised this newsgroup and
> r.s.b.
> has tolerated it as long as they have.

This IS ASP, right Mike?

sheldoncue

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

> >There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and

> >r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and

> >r.s.b.
> >has tolerated it as long as they have.

I have never asked anyone to post anything on my behalf. The people that
have posted reviews of my cues did so entirely on their own. I will admit I
have had a lot of posts related to me and my cues, but the only thing I did
was make some damn fine cues! Sue me! LOL!!!!!
I enjoy the NGs and do not feel like I have abused them in any way. I try to
keep out of most discussions and limit my post to helping people with
questions, but occasionally I have to state my opinion and set the record
straight. I am sorry if I caused anyone undue suffering by selling cues that
made some people happy enough to go and clutter up the newsgroup with a
bunch of crap about how much they like the things. I probably shouldn't post
this, but what the hell--noone will remember it in a week anyway!!!!!! I was
born sarcastic. I can't help it.
Sheldon <----------promises to sell crummy sticks from now on. NOT!

> >John
> >

> As for as i can tell, sheldon has not spammed either group. Yes, he has
> informed people that he makes cues, and has solicitated business, when
someone
> has shown interest. But, unlike other posters. he has not included a link
> his web site on all his posts like other people.
>
> In fact John, I think you yourself have e-mailed me directly to help me in
my
> search for a cue, although you didn't directly ask for my business.
Sheldon,
> posts things off interest at many times, I don't think that what has
transpired
> is either organized or spam. He is just a good cue maker that
participates in
> the ng, as does Ted Harris, Jerry Pechauer et al. No one has ever accused
them
> with spamming. It seems, sitting over in this corner of the world, that
John's
> business and personal opinions are begining to overlap.
>
> Bert <-- ever consider that Sheldon makes a damn fine cue????

SxyRedChef

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
>There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and
>r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and
>r.s.b.
>has tolerated it as long as they have.

John Walkup

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
SxyRedChef wrote:

> >There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and
> >r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and
> >r.s.b.
> >has tolerated it as long as they have.
> >
> >--
> >John
> >

> As for as i can tell, sheldon has not spammed either group. Yes, he has
> informed people that he makes cues, and has solicitated business, when someone
> has shown interest. But, unlike other posters. he has not included a link to
> his web site on all his posts like other people.

I am not saying that Sheldon was doing the organizing, although that is
what I first suspected. Most likely this is being done by a customer
who
thinks he is doing the man who made his cue a favor.

> In fact John, I think you yourself have e-mailed me directly to help me in my
> search for a cue, although you didn't directly ask for my business. Sheldon,
> posts things off interest at many times, I don't think that what has transpired
> is either organized or spam.

No, a bunch of people, thinking completely independently, just decided
start promoting a particular brand of cue in this newsgroup.

> He is just a good cue maker that participates in
> the ng, as does Ted Harris, Jerry Pechauer et al. No one has ever accused them
> with spamming. It seems, sitting over in this corner of the world, that John's
> business and personal opinions are begining to overlap.

I resent that.

> Bert <-- ever consider that Sheldon makes a damn fine cue????

That was never the issue.

--
John

John Walkup

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
sheldoncue wrote:

> > >There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and
> > >r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and
> > >r.s.b.
> > >has tolerated it as long as they have.
>
> I have never asked anyone to post anything on my behalf.

Okay, that's good enough for me.

Really, I wouldn't mind it a lick if you came in here and told us about
your pool cues. I don't like the "satisfied customer" angle, because
it looked organized. Sorry if I misjudged you, but keep in mind
that this newsgroup would have been all over me if there had been a
flood
of posts in here, from unrecognizable sources, telling everyone how
great my service is. Not THAT many pool players know about
alt.sport.pool,
so finding a bunch of new posters spouting similar opinions all of a
sudden
would have looked suspicious. Of course if I had nothing to do with it
then
I wouldn't be at fault.

--
John

barenada

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

John Walkup wrote...
(snip)

> I am not saying that Sheldon was doing the organizing, although that is
> what I first suspected. Most likely this is being done by a customer
> who thinks he is doing the man who made his cue a favor.
(snip)

This reminds me of the recent Grady Matthews thread where anyone who chimed
in to support Grady got a thankful response directly from the Man himself.
Perhaps people, knowing that Sheldon is a regular here, are just hoping for
a similar response - maybe a free cue or something. :-)

Also, you can't swing a dead cat in either group without hitting one of
MM^^'s posts, and he bought a cue from Sheldon and wrote a post about how
much he loved it. Perhaps some of the "newbies" posting about Sheldon's
cues are doing so in an effort to align themselves with MM^^. That way when
the government collapses and MM^^ and his kind are running things they'll go
"So you like Sheldon's cues too? Okay, we won't eat you unless things get
REALLY bad."

I can honestly say I never heard of Sheldon or his cues until I started
reading these newsgroups. From everything I've read they're very well-built
cues, and Sheldon may end up being one of the few cuemaker wannabes to
actually make it into the big time. I hope I get a chance to meet Sheldon
and try out one of his cues someday. Heck, with all the press he's been
getting here, NONE of it bad, those cues just might be pretty special.

--
Dave

sheldoncue

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Nice reply Dave--
I have not been making cues for long--and yes, I am a wannabe! But I would
not stoop to what JW suspected me of doing. I have devoloped some really
good methods of putting together a cue, because almost everyone who has
gotten one really likes them. I think MM^^ kinda started a little trend
there with the cue reviews. I can see where someone might jump to
conclusions about the origin of so many posts, but I assure you there is
nothing behind it but satisfied cue owners.
If you ever get to Oregon look me up and we will get together and play some!
Sorry, No free cues today! LOL

SxyRedChef

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
>Sheldon <----------promises to sell crummy sticks from now on. NOT!
>
>> >John
>> >

>> As for as i can tell, sheldon has not spammed either group. Yes, he has
>> informed people that he makes cues, and has solicitated business, when
>someone
>> has shown interest. But, unlike other posters. he has not included a link
>> his web site on all his posts like other people.

SxyRedChef

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
>I resent that.

>John

John you were supposed to resent it. It seemed from my perspective that you
were being very unfair and quite biased. I was not the only poster who thought
this way. I am gratified that you have realized that you suspicions were
unfounded and i apologize for being harsh, but your "flame" really was un
called for and considering that you are "in business" certainly lent a sour
grapes tone to your original post

Bert <-- waiting for my Sheldon cue

Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
John do I detect a little jelousy of Sheldon's acceptance here and RSB?
Maybe his cues just hit solid and are a very good value. Maybe your
sales are off or maybe you are just having a Walkup day :o). There is
plenty of room in the world for all cuemakers who build solid good
playing cues at a fair price and he certainly cannot be responsible for
his customer's rave reviews of his cues.

As far as you "Besides, I don't allow the fact that I sell billiard
products prostitute my opinions." letting your business influence your
remarks here and in RSB I know for a fact that most of us in the
business are guilty of letting money cloud the issue at times. Some
examples that come to mind are:

Keep in mind that a cuemaker cannot make a cue that will hit like
> you describe. First, describing hit is nearly impossible. Second,
> even if the cuemaker understood clearly what you want, there is no
> guarantee that he can match it.
>
> Unless you really want something in particular, I would buy a
> custom cue that is already made. That way you don't have to wait
> a year to have it made, and you have far less problem returning it
> if it doesn't hit to your satisfaction.

Do those words sound familiar? Wonder who said that?

Just to set the record straight. There are many of us cuemakers who can
satisfy our customers, that speak English and communicate effectively,
that can build a cue to hit like you like it and if not refund your
money with no hastle. As far as the wait you still have to get on the
schedule to get a cue made just for you. Fast just means that
unseasoned wood was used and the cue was not made properly cause there
ain't no shortcuts. Now if you want a cue made to the usual
specifications then there are lots available with no wait. Whether you
return your unacceptable to John or a cuemaker should make no
difference.

As I have been saying for some time: "In order to make this sport grow
and prosper we are all going to have to pull together and make
contributions that are not necessarily self serving." Arnot

I am happy that Sheldon's customers are happy with their cues. In the
end the truth will stand regardless of what any of us think. Keep up
the good work Sheldon. Just don't let your head get tooooooo big :o).

John Walkup wrote:

> Bradley E. Robertson wrote:

> > John wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, I take it back. Rec.sport.billiard.marketplace would not be
> > > such a bad idea. Yeah, I said that the proliferation of SPAM wasn't
> > > so bad, but what did I know? I was young, and naive.
> >
> > John a good and true salesman won't complain about a competitor's product,
> > he would be on the phone trying to pickup that hot selling line.
>

> Did I complain about the product? Besides, I don't allow the fact that

> I sell billiard products prostitute my opinions. I say what I want to
> say.

> There have been far too many Sheldon "customers" pop up in here and
> r.s.b. for this not to be organized. I am surprised this newsgroup and
> r.s.b.
> has tolerated it as long as they have.
>

> --
> John

Arnot Serving tag line:

Arnot Q Custom Cues
3717 Jeanne Avenue, Lake Worth, FL 33461
(Located in the Heart of Palm Beach County)
http://arnotq.com Ar...@arnotq.com
"The Emphasis Here Is On The Cue Because
That's The Work I Love To Do"
561 439-0441

SxyRedChef

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
sorry about that. Sheldon, please wait at least 6 months before embarking on
making crummy cues. I want MINE crummy-less

Bert <- <big grin, just joking>

Brett Turley

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
First of all, I can't believe the petty and small minded direction this
thread has gone. I have been lurking and occasionally posting (I've changed
my display name a couple of times) for a long time, so I don't consider my
post of my Sheldoncue review the act of a "newbie" trying to align myself
with MM. Since we live on opposite sides of the country, I doubt I will
ever even get to meet the man. I have been working with computers and on
the Internet since there was such a thing, and I have been shooting pool
since I was 13, so I don't consider myself a "newbie" in ANY area. I did
however, buy a cue from Sheldon based on the great comments from MM. Is
this the first time other people have bought a product based on a review?
Why would someone even begin to think it's a conspiracy? Wait, you guys are
right, everybody that bought a cue from Sheldon has been getting one free
cue for every nice post about him or his cues! We are trying to put
everyone else out of business! This is ridiculous! I just thought that
people, Sheldon included, might be interested in knowing what my thoughts on
the cue were. I guess I was wrong. Don't worry, it won't happen again.
Maybe we should all just keep our comments and opinions to ourselves from
now on. That would be alot of fun, wouldn't it?

Brett <-----can't believe that people can get offended so easily over
nothing

"barenada" <bare...@aye.net> wrote in message

Patrick Johnson

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> [...] I don't consider myself a "newbie" in ANY area. [...]

> Brett <-----can't believe that people can get offended so easily over
> nothing

...except maybe this area.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

barenada

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

>Brett <-----can't believe that people can get offended so easily over
>nothing

I would have thought that the smiley face next to the free cue remark, along
with the whole bit about the post-apocalyptic cannibalism, might have
indicated that my entire post was pretty much tongue-in-cheek.

I put quotes around the word "newbies" to soften the word up a bit. Guess
that didn't take either.

--
Dave <-- can't believe that people can get offended so easily over nothing

John Walkup

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Brett Turley wrote:

> Why would someone even begin to think it's a conspiracy?

Because you weren't the only one that endorsed the product. This issue
is
not petty at all. We don't have a .marketplace newsgroup, so it is
important that we keep the hype advertising down to a minimum. I could
easily
have told my customers to tell everyone in here about my services. I
could also tell my friends to post in here as well, regardless of
whether they bought a cue from me or not. And there is nothing
stopping me from doing so. But if I did, I guarantee you that I would
be getting the same flack that I (undeservedly, it appears) gave
Sheldon.

I actually wish Sheldon would put a business .tag line in his
posts so people can visit his web site. I would like to see what
he has as well.

John Walkup

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
SxyRedChef wrote:

> >I resent that.
>
> >John
>
> John you were supposed to resent it.

Good.

--
John

Brett Turley

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Sorry, I honestly couldn't tell if you were serious or not. I also know
that you were not the one that changed the topic of this thread. It's just
that it got too ridiculous and I had to vent a little.

Brett

"barenada" <bare...@aye.net> wrote in message

John Walkup

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III wrote:

> John do I detect a little jelousy of Sheldon's acceptance here and RSB?

I don't recall having any problems with YOU, J. Pechauer, Richard Black,
or Ray Schuler. Your cues received FAR MORE testimonials over the last
few years than Sheldon's have, and I never had any problems with it.
Do you recall me ever complaining about all the publicity you were
getting?

> Maybe his cues just hit solid and are a very good value. Maybe your
> sales are off or maybe you are just having a Walkup day :o).

Or maybe my opinions are genuine. Does a person have to be a cue
salesman
to have an opinion on what he thinks is unethical advertising? Or,
if a person sells cues, must he form only good opinions on what the
advertising he sees?

> There is
> plenty of room in the world for all cuemakers who build solid good
> playing cues at a fair price and he certainly cannot be responsible for
> his customer's rave reviews of his cues.

THAT is the issue!! Was HE responsible for the customer reviews?
At first, it appeared he was, because all of a sudden an unknown
cuemaker gets lots of raves about his product in a newsgroup that
is largely unknown to the pool-playing public. Now it appears that he
wasn't responsible at all, and that I made a mistake. But at the
same time, my concerns were genuine.

> As far as you "Besides, I don't allow the fact that I sell billiard
> products prostitute my opinions." letting your business influence your
> remarks here and in RSB I know for a fact that most of us in the
> business are guilty of letting money cloud the issue at times.

But that doesn't mean my opinions on this issue were clouded by
financial consideration.

> Some examples that come to mind are:
>
> Keep in mind that a cuemaker cannot make a cue that will hit like
> > you describe. First, describing hit is nearly impossible. Second,
> > even if the cuemaker understood clearly what you want, there is no
> > guarantee that he can match it.
> >
> > Unless you really want something in particular, I would buy a
> > custom cue that is already made. That way you don't have to wait
> > a year to have it made, and you have far less problem returning it
> > if it doesn't hit to your satisfaction.
>
> Do those words sound familiar? Wonder who said that?

I said it, and I meant every word of it. What's the matter with that?

r.s.b. and a.s.p. are public forums. It would be great that the
posts in both newsgroups were designed to inform the public. Those
wanting a cue need to hear all sides of the argument. Most importantly,
they need GENUINE information. My problem with the Sheldon cue
endorsements
is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact, it appears that one of
the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
for Sheldon. I am convinced that Sheldon was not behind it and would
not have encouraged it.

> Just to set the record straight. There are many of us cuemakers who can
> satisfy our customers, that speak English and communicate effectively,
> that can build a cue to hit like you like it and if not refund your
> money with no hastle.

Just to set the record straight: You have not refuted my comment that
"describing a cue's hit is nearly impossible." And it IS nearly
impossible.
Sure you can communicate in English clearly. But that doesn't mean you
can
understand the type of hit a customer wants, does it?

And you have not refuted my comment that you can guarantee a cue to hit
like
the customer wants even if you know what he wants. Because you
COULDN'T.
No cuemaker can. I am not faulting them, because I cannot guarantee
that a
cue I ship will be what the customer really wants either.

> As far as the wait you still have to get on the
> schedule to get a cue made just for you. Fast just means that
> unseasoned wood was used and the cue was not made properly cause there
> ain't no shortcuts.

Fast means that the cue was already made. There is no inherent
difference between
the cure times between a pre-made custom cue and a custom ordered cue.

> Now if you want a cue made to the usual
> specifications then there are lots available with no wait. Whether you
> return your unacceptable to John or a cuemaker should make no
> difference.

Like I said, "Unless you really want something *in particular*,

I would buy a custom cue that is already made.

One small problem: If he returns the cue to you, he has waited a year
and still has no pool cue. What is he supposed to do now? Wait another
year for you, or another cuemaker, to make another one?

If he returns the cue to a retailer, he is only out a few days. That
is a convenience that cannot be ignored.

Now, if you disagree with my statements above, refute them logicallly.
But this notion that my opinions don't matter because I am a cue
salesman
is pure BS. You certainly don't seem to have any problems furthering
opinions that enhance your business. Have I ever taken you to task for
it?

--
John

Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
John you make it sound like you are the only person that can communicate
with cuemakers and customers. You are correct about everything :o).

Mountain Mike^^

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with the

Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact, it
appears that one of
> the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
> about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
> for Sheldon

Care to be more specific? Because I sure don't know to whom you are
referring. Maybe I started the Sheldon trend, but let me explain why. I was
asking here about a break cue and didn't want to spend a fortune for one.
Sheldon posted he would make one for $140 and it sounded like a good deal,
so I ordered one. My review on this stick included it's deficiencies too.
(Not a perfect finish). My objective in posting the review was to inform
those here about the incredible bargain I had found. AND, if it had been a
POS, I would have said so. What other motivation could I have?
I think you're "tilting at windmills" again John. And your motives seem
a bit suspect considering *you* are in the business. I still don't see what
your main bitch is either........MM^^

MarkO

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
And while we're at it.......

I have a good friend, Dan Trogdon, that is a dedicated full-time cuemaker.
His cues look and play wonderful. I have 'played' (as opposed to having
owned them all) with dozens of different makers' cues over the years and
would readily stake my reputation and credibility on the quality of his
workmanship. Although I have only occasionally posted his url when people
are looking for stuff (I most recently posted it for a request for a 'penny'
radius shaper) it troubles me that Sherm, JP, Schuler, and a few others are
constantly getting plugs while I bite my tongue (or would that be more
properly-- bite my fingers?!) instead of plugging his cues.

Dan deserves a break too. We have people in this group that collect cues
like I collect matchbooks. Come on, step up and order a cue, check out his
work. His prices are very reasonable, his workmanship is excellent, and the
cues play great.

--
Mark0

+=+=+=+ Dan Trogdon Custom Cues +=+=+=+
+=+=+=+ Better Performance Through Superior Equipment +=+=+=+
www.bigfoot.com/~cuemaker

"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message

thered

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
What was this origional post about?

Also I have a Schon and a Meucci as well as a Hansonburg (sp?) San Francisco
cue that i need to find some prices on them (I want them appraised) Also how
does Schon number their cues and how do i find out what series and # ect...
My Meucci is from what i understand an "M-10" ? does that sound right.
Thanks !

Brett Turley

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
It's a conspiracy because more than one person bought a cue from the same
cue maker? I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I have read countless
posts of people claiming that Southwest cues are the greatest on earth, that
nothing hits or feels better, and that they are worth waiting on for years.
Why isn't there a Southwest conspiracy? Honest to god, if I had tons of
money, I would buy a cue from every cue maker on earth just to see what they
are like. But I'll be damned if I would ever post ANY comments about any of
them. I'm glad that MM posted his original review. I got a great cue from
reading it. I'm sorry that you considered my thoughts of my new cue as
"advertising hype".

Sheldon doesn't need to put a tag line in his posts for people to find his
web site. Search engines work pretty good, as well as Arnot's cue maker
list.

Brett

sheldoncue

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> "John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with the

> Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact,
it
> appears that one of
> > the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
> > about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
> > for Sheldon

This is getting out of hand--nothing was forged--The only people that have
posted about my cues were my customers and did so entirely on their own. I
would be the first one to say something if someone forged a post relating to
me or my work. End of story.

Smorgass Bored

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III wrote:
John do I detect a little jelousy of Sheldon's acceptance here and RSB?

John answered :

I don't recall having any problems with YOU, J. Pechauer, Richard Black,
or Ray Schuler. Your cues received FAR MORE testimonials over the last
few years than Sheldon's have, and I never had any problems with it. Do
you recall me ever complaining about all the publicity you were getting?

(*<~ Well,I imagine that 99% of Arnot's testimonials and publicity
for over a year in RSB came from me and that was not an organized
campaign (as I'm sure you know). I was simply a VERY happy & satisfied
customer. Now, many others speak highly of him also (as is deserved).
You'll notice that I haven't been jumping in with praise &
testimonials for quite some time now. That is because I'm in the process
of drawing up an ironclad contract assuring me of sponsorship and
compensation (in the form of a 'special fancy one of a kind Smorgass cue
with a smaller diameter butt,a 20" Pro Taper and lots of goo-gaws and
supplied to me for FREE as 'Official Arnot Attack Cue Spokesperson/'C'
Player Representative').
Doug

PS
OR, he could just buy me some BEER........
Yeehaaaaaaa !

Doug
~>*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~

fuZZbuTT

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

>"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with the

>Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact, it
>appears that one of
>> the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
>> about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
>> for Sheldon

At first, it appeared that John's crystal ball-powered lie detector
needed a recharge on the dilithium crystal.
Now, it simply seems that John let alligator mouth overload
hummingbird ass.

Ron<---waiting on MY sheldoncue - stay tuned for the review, John

LAWLERJD

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Thanks for all the input guys. I am gonna look around and see what I personally
like, however I am going to keep all the names and information that was
presented to me in mind. I never thought this thread would go so far, but I
thank those who helped me. I appreciate your time. Take care,

Joe

>Viking, Helmstetter, Lucasi, a low end custom cue. I hear this fella named
>Sheldon
>of Sheldoncue.com makes a pretty mean hitting cue :).
>

>LAWLERJD wrote:
>
>> I thank both of you for your responses. So what do you guys suggest instead
>of
>> a Meucci? Thanks for your time
>>
>> Joe

sam

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <392B53...@telepath.com>, John says...

John, I absolutely LOVE Sheldon Cues. I think they are the greatest thing since
sliced bread. They hit awesome and feel great. They look terrific too. Ha Ha
:o) Sincerely, Sam (what's a Sheldon cue)

>I am not saying that Sheldon was doing the organizing, although that is
>what I first suspected. Most likely this is being done by a customer
>who
>thinks he is doing the man who made his cue a favor.
>

>John

SxyRedChef

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
>supplied to me for FREE as 'Official Arnot Attack Cue Spokesperson/'C'
>Player Representative').
> Doug
>
> PS
>OR, he could just buy me some BEER........
> Yeehaaaaaaa !
>
> Doug
> ~>*(((><)))*<~

Doug,

Take the cue, There is always more beer around the next corner

Bert

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Brett Turley wrote:

> It's a conspiracy because more than one person bought a cue from the same
> cue maker? I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

That wasn't the issue. The point I have made continually in this
thread is that some of the posts did not appear genuine. In fact,
my gut feeling is that one of his customers forged some of the posts
to drum up business.

> Sheldon doesn't need to put a tag line in his posts for people to find his
> web site. Search engines work pretty good, as well as Arnot's cue maker
> list.

I typed in "Sheldon Cue" in Altavista's search engine, and his site did
not
appear. MY site appeared, however. InfoSeek and Go.com couldn't find
it
either. Neither could Yahoo. Now sure, if a person is willing to try
enough search engines I am sure he could find the site. Wouldn't a
business
.tag line be much easier on everybody?

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Mountain Mike^^ wrote:

> "John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with the

> Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact, it
> appears that one of
> > the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
> > about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
> > for Sheldon
>
> Care to be more specific? Because I sure don't know to whom you are
> referring.

YOU. Was that specific enough for you?

> I think you're "tilting at windmills" again John.

No, I think I have it all figured out.

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
fuZZbuTT wrote:

> >"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with the

> >Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In fact, it
> >appears that one of
> >> the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
> >> about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
> >> for Sheldon
> >
> At first, it appeared that John's crystal ball-powered lie detector
> needed a recharge on the dilithium crystal.
> Now, it simply seems that John let alligator mouth overload
> hummingbird ass.
>
> Ron<---waiting on MY sheldoncue - stay tuned for the review, John

I hope you like it. I am sure you will. That was never the point.

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III wrote:

> John you make it sound like you are the only person that can communicate
> with cuemakers and customers.

In other words, you could not refute anything I said.

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Smorgass Bored wrote:

> Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III wrote:
> John do I detect a little jelousy of Sheldon's acceptance here and RSB?
>
> John answered :

> I don't recall having any problems with YOU, J. Pechauer, Richard Black,
> or Ray Schuler. Your cues received FAR MORE testimonials over the last
> few years than Sheldon's have, and I never had any problems with it. Do
> you recall me ever complaining about all the publicity you were getting?
>
> (*<~ Well,I imagine that 99% of Arnot's testimonials and publicity
> for over a year in RSB came from me and that was not an organized
> campaign (as I'm sure you know). I was simply a VERY happy & satisfied
> customer. Now, many others speak highly of him also (as is deserved).

And I have never had any problem with that. Because all the
endorsements
of Arnot's cues appeared genuine.

As for my bias, I have endorsed Jerry Pechauer's cues in here and in
RSB. In fact, I have said many times that his entry models were some
of the best deals I had seen on the web. I don't sell J. Pechauers.
I have said nothing but good things about Ray Schuler's cues, even after
we parted ways. Every cue I help Ray and Jerry sell is, I suppose, a
cue
I don't sell. But that hasn't stopped me from helping them promote
their product.
How about Sherm Adamson? I don't sell his cues, but I heartily
recommend
them because I have owned two of them and loved them both.
And despite the huge amount of bandwidth by Arnot and his minions, I
have
never objected to any of it, even though he is technically a competitor.
I have never said anything good about Arnot's cues because I have never
tried, or seen, one. If I did and I liked it, I would probably be
telling
people to try them as well. The same applies to Sheldon. I never told
anyone not to buy his cues, or that his cues were anything but swell.
My
objection was very simple: The frequent postings by Sheldon customers
seemed,
to me, staged. So I raised the point. In return, I was accused of
(1) trying to ruin Sheldon's business to enhance my own, which is
completely
absurd, and (2) trying to imply that Sheldon was behind a mass
"conspiracy"
to promote his product. I never said there was a conspiracy, and I
never said
Sheldon was behind it. In fact, I am fully convinced that Sheldon was
NOT
behind it now that I have heard his statements. You see, I can actually
READ his statements, UNDERSTAND what he is saying, and JUDGE the
situation
accordingly.

This thread got out of hand because people simply assumed that I must
have been acting out of self-interest, without examining why I raised
the
issue in the first place. But it won't matter, because some idiot will
respond
to this post after missing the point entirely, yet again.

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
LAWLERJD wrote:

> Thanks for all the input guys. I am gonna look around and see what I personally
> like, however I am going to keep all the names and information that was
> presented to me in mind. I never thought this thread would go so far...

Thank God he wasn't looking for a Balabushka.

--
John

Jim White

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
John get a life!.

Jim

> fuZZbuTT wrote:
> >

> > >"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with

the
> > >Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In
fact, it
> > >appears that one of

Mountain Mike^^

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message > > YOU. Was that
specific enough for you?

Yes. It proves you're a fucking idiot. Care to back up your accusations or
do we just take your baseless claims as *facts* simply because you're having
a heavy flow day? What the hell is your problem?

MM^^

Fred Agnir

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

sheldoncue wrote:

>The people that have posted reviews of my cues did so entirely on their own

I explicitly asked for a review posted on this newsgroup. I'll take the
blame.

Regards,

Fred Agnir <---- wants the reviews to continue

Fred Agnir

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

John Walkup wrote in message <392CCB...@telepath.com>...

>I typed in "Sheldon Cue" in Altavista's search engine, and his site did
>not
>appear. MY site appeared, however. InfoSeek and Go.com couldn't find
>it
>either. Neither could Yahoo. Now sure, if a person is willing to try
>enough search engines I am sure he could find the site. Wouldn't a
>business
>.tag line be much easier on everybody?

http://www.sheldoncue.com/ .

Bvinco

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

This thread (like most of the ones you post in) is out of hand because you keep
saying the same thing over and over again to the people who respond to your
posts, whether you need to or not. Smorg didn't disagree with you, he simply
stated he was probably the one doing 99% of the testimonials for Arnot (and
wasn't this a perfect opportunity to do another one?)...

Believe it or not, MOST of us get your point the first time and a few more have
gotten it by the 2nd or 3rd time and if the rest don't get it, why do you care
what "idiots" think?

Becky

Anthony DeAngelo

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
John Walkup wrote:

> Smorgass Bored wrote:
> >
> > Arnot Q. Wadsworth, III wrote:
> > John do I detect a little jelousy of Sheldon's acceptance here and RSB?
> >
> > John answered :

> > I don't recall having any problems with YOU, J. Pechauer, Richard Black,
> > or Ray Schuler. Your cues received FAR MORE testimonials over the last
> > few years than Sheldon's have, and I never had any problems with it. Do
> > you recall me ever complaining about all the publicity you were getting?
> >
> This thread got out of hand because people simply assumed that I must
> have been acting out of self-interest, without examining why I raised
> the
> issue in the first place. But it won't matter, because some idiot will
> respond
> to this post after missing the point entirely, yet again.
>
> --
> John

I know, I know. In fact, I think your original statement was something
along the lines of "I take it back, we do need a rec.marketplace". I
admit that all the hooplah seemed a bit overdone to me as well. Don't
get me wrong. I could give a shit. But it always amazes me how some
people get away with murder in this ng, and others are always policed,
especially when it comes to business. I can understand some sap wanting
to suck up to Grady, TW, Bill Stroud, or someone of that ilk, but why
Sheldon Lebow, I wondered? I mean no offense to him or his work, I'm
sure his cues are great-but I would be very surprised if they were
significantly better than the cues of Ted Harris, Keith Josey or Michael
Capone, just to mention 3 cuemakers with vastly more experience who also
sell really nice cues at bargain prices (IMO). Yet whole months can go
by without testimonials for these guys. Meanwhile, every day another
Sheldon post. I don't mind. I'm not saying they weren't genuine.
Please don't miss the point. However, it seemed contrived, repetitive,
and well, fishy. And that's one slobs opinion.

sheldoncue

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

Thanx Fred!

"Fred Agnir" <oha...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Mountain Mike^^ wrote:

> "John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message > > YOU. Was that
> specific enough for you?
> >
> Yes. It proves you're a fucking idiot. Care to back up your accusations or
> do we just take your baseless claims as *facts* simply because you're having
> a heavy flow day?

You can do whatever you wish with my accusations.

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Jim White wrote:

> John get a life!.

You don't understand, the proper reply is "whatever."

--
John

John Walkup

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Bvinco wrote:

> This thread (like most of the ones you post in) is out of hand because you keep
> saying the same thing over and over again to the people who respond to your
> posts, whether you need to or not. Smorg didn't disagree with you, he simply
> stated he was probably the one doing 99% of the testimonials for Arnot (and
> wasn't this a perfect opportunity to do another one?)...
>
> Believe it or not, MOST of us get your point the first time and a few more have
> gotten it by the 2nd or 3rd time and if the rest don't get it, why do you care
> what "idiots" think?

You're absolutely right.

I have said all I need to say. (At least in this thread.)

--
John

waldo...@my-deja.com

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
When I came to this board I read the post about custom cues & saw
Sheldon Cues being talked about among some of the other custom makers. I
decided to give Sheldon cues a try. So I ordered one. A natural
progression. Once I recieved it, I ordered another one. Would I do that
if I didn't like the hit or playability? I think not.

Nothing contrived about it. I got a Sheldon cue, I posted about it
several times & will continue to do so at my leasure. Because I want to,
not for any other reason.

What can I say. I like his cues... If this offends anyone here, then
all I can say is chill! Folks get pissed to easy here.

Ww

In article <392CFE...@mindspring.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mountain Mike^^

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

"John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message > You can do whatever

you wish with my accusations.

Well, it's becoming apparent that you have no intention of trying to prove
that I "forged, organized, or "otherwise" attempted to influence the readers
here. What I DID do was write a review about every cue product I've
purchased in the last 2 years, for the express purpose of gratifying the
readers here at ASP. EVERY time I posted a review, I also stated whatever
negatives I had with the product. (including Sheldon's cues).
What I don't understand is your attack on me personally. I can sorta
understand how you would be miffed by all the posts recently, but to single
me out as a "ringleader" of some kind is absurd. And when I asked you to
back up your accusations, you slither away. You can retract your accusations
and apologize or you can go fuck yourself.

MM^^<--or whatever

SxyRedChef

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
>You can do whatever you wish with my accusations.
>
>--
>John

Sounds to me like the lie, thats told often enough, becomes the truth. Either
come up with the facts or make a public retraction. In either case your
reputation has been seriously damaged

Bert <-- not some mindless idiot influenced by whatever someone else calls a
fact

SxyRedChef

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
>However, it seemed contrived, repetitive,
>and well, fishy. And that's one slobs opinion.

>From: Anthony DeAngelo

You know, I never thought of it that way, until your post , Tony. But, it all
started innocently enough, when Sheldon offered to make a cue. It snowballed.
I think everyone just jumped on the bandwagon, what was perceived as the newest
fad. I mean, if one kewl dood bought a pet rock, and extolled its virtue, then
everyone who wants to be equally kewl just ran out and bought one too, so as
not to be left out. Besides, Sheldon, posted here frequently, and being
unknown, was infinitely more "accesible" than some other cue maker.

In the end, Sheldon is a new cue maker who makes good cues and everyone wanted
to share the secret, sort of like a brand new restaurant.

Bert <-- a chef who knows bad fish with just one whiff, and I don't smell no
rat

waldo...@my-deja.com

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
I learned along time ago that the one who points & makes accusations
most, is usuially the one with the problem.

What kind of hoopla is this? Sheldon cue endorsements not genuine or
faked? I wish you would tell us who this person was John?

I read the thread that MM posted & ordered one also. I was new to this
board & new to customs. I read the archived subjects till the post about
custom SP's came up. I read all the post in there, ask about Sheldons
web site then ordered. This to me is a natural progression.

Now that I have my Sheldon cue & shoot with it every day, I decided
after a week that I wanted another. My orders in. This isn't
endorsement, just fact. All my words mean nothing. But my actions are
speaking louder than this text.... I may order a third?

Checks in the mail Sheldon!

Ww

In article <8gh2u...@news2.newsguy.com>,

"Mountain Mike^^" <not...@freewwweb.com> wrote:

> "John Walkup" <cue...@telepath.com> wrote in message My problem with
the
> Sheldon cue> endorsements> is that some didn't appear genuine. In
fact, it
> appears that one of
> > the posters in this NG (and I think everyone knows who I am talking
> > about) forged some of the testimonials in order to enhance business
> > for Sheldon
>

> Care to be more specific? Because I sure don't know to whom you are

> referring. Maybe I started the Sheldon trend, but let me explain why.
I was
> asking here about a break cue and didn't want to spend a fortune for
one.
> Sheldon posted he would make one for $140 and it sounded like a good
deal,
> so I ordered one. My review on this stick included it's deficiencies
too.
> (Not a perfect finish). My objective in posting the review was to
inform
> those here about the incredible bargain I had found. AND, if it had
been a
> POS, I would have said so. What other motivation could I have?
> I think you're "tilting at windmills" again John. And your motives
seem
> a bit suspect considering *you* are in the business. I still don't see
what
> your main bitch is either........MM^^

Anthony DeAngelo

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00

That's a good analogy...the new restaurant that you want to share with
your friends. I think that's what happened here exactly. I think that
I just naturally resisted the bandwagon though (again, I'm sure Sheldon
makes a fine cue, that's not what I'm saying), the same way I do when
everybody tells me that I just HAVE to see some movie because it's SO
great and I will love it.

SxyRedChef

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
>From: Anthony DeAngelo

> the same way I do when
>everybody tells me that I just HAVE to see some movie because it's SO
>great and I will love it.

And how many times have you looked at yuor friends in crazed wonderment and ask
" You LIKED that movie????????""

Thanks for understanding my point, its always gratifying when someone is won
over by honest and clear debate

Bert <--Waiting for my Sheldon cue like a kid on Christmas eve

waldo...@my-deja.com

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
Maybe I did just pop up on here & start posting. So what, I only found
this place about a month ago. I've been a regular on the Billiards
Digest board for a couple years now. Also frequenting Playpool & help
moderate the Talisman site. Which BTW, they make some good tips...

So I'm new here. Big deal. I got a Sheldon cue, So what! The way your
carrying on I don't think I'll get one of yours or Arnot's for that
matter...

Sheldon never told, ask or hinted to me to post anything about his
cues. I do this of my own free will. As a satisfied pool shooter who
likes the stick he uses. I used predators for 2 years prior the new
Lebow cue.

I'm not trying to be ugly or rude. I just find it sad that some here
are acting childish and making false accusations. There is no
conspiracy! Actually all your doing is creating more advertising for
Sheldon cues. Giving me and others a reason to share our happiness with
his cues...

As long as this keeps going on I will keep standing up for the truth.
If you don't like the post, then don't read them!

Sounds simple to me... But don't be making up rumors, what's up with
that? Your not doing your business any favors there.

Ww

In article <392B57...@telepath.com>,
cue...@telepath.com wrote:

> > I have never asked anyone to post anything on my behalf.
>
> Okay, that's good enough for me.
>
> Really, I wouldn't mind it a lick if you came in here and told us
about
> your pool cues. I don't like the "satisfied customer" angle, because
> it looked organized. Sorry if I misjudged you, but keep in mind
> that this newsgroup would have been all over me if there had been a
> flood
> of posts in here, from unrecognizable sources, telling everyone how
> great my service is. Not THAT many pool players know about
> alt.sport.pool,
> so finding a bunch of new posters spouting similar opinions all of a
> sudden
> would have looked suspicious. Of course if I had nothing to do with it
> then
> I wouldn't be at fault.
>
> --
> John

Sally George

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I have been lurking on this issue and have never posted to
this NG, but here goes.

Not only have I purchased one of Sheldon's cues, I have
ordered an additional cue soon to be finished. He
encouraged me to have input on the design, worked endlessly
to accomplish what I had suggested, and suggested some
alternative expressions. His cues are beautiful (and I have
seen many) and his workmanship is exquisite. He is always
coming up with new designs. As I was fairly new to the pool
game, and not doing so well, I decided to take some lessons
from him--he is a great instructor, personable and very
knowledgeable. I am now playing in a tournament and doing
quite well. His excellent cue and his teaching ability have
helped me so much--I love the game!

Sally George

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

waldo...@my-deja.com

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Thankyou Sally,

I ordered a 2nd Sheldon cue also. Will be getting a third too....

He is very understanding with instructions. I should know, I've been
making the process tougher than it has to be. For him that is....

Got any pictures of the cues? I'd love to see them.

Ww

In article <00019ddb...@usw-ex0109-069.remarq.com>,