The slop at Belmont

DASBABY932

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00

I'm watching the Belmont card at Fox Sportsnet and so far (race 4) every horse
out of the gate seems to want nothing more than to run their hearts out in the
slop. Traction? Not a problem! The Big Sandy is a big lake, and the horses
are eating it up. What's up with that? Maybe these animals have been
training the heat and the mini-Sahara that Belmont's main track becomes in
mid-summer so the cooler temperatures and the downpour was like a vacation to
them. But I've seldom seen such happy running horses at Belmont before, win or
lose.