I think it's finally happened...

ssp...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2002, 9:17:36 PM1/6/02
"Doc Tsai" <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in
message
>news:526_7.6538$cD4....@www.newsranger.com...
>
>> There must be a
newsgroup devoted to newsgroups, with
>advice-from-experience
>> about what
helps a newsgroup fail or flourish.>>

Mike said:

<<Oh there is. But it's not
much use, as everyone is arguing about what's best.>>

Yep, that sums it up
accurately! Those newsgroups are full of sockpuppets and flames :-) . That's
the way of Usenet.

<<BTW, the word experience means very little- despite what
many people think, experience is not the same as ability or expertise, it simply
means someone has being doing something a long time. Thats why effective
selection panels never use the word "experience".>>

More wisdom from the
Guv'nor! And a very sensible explanation.

Spark

Get REAL at alt.spanking.reality.moderated!

The Guv'nor

Jan 6, 2002, 10:24:30 PM1/6/02

<ssp...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> <<BTW, the word experience means very little- despite what
> many people think, experience is not the same as ability or expertise,
it simply
> means someone has being doing something a long time. Thats why
effective
> selection panels never use the word "experience".>>
>

> More wisdom from the
> Guv'nor! And a very sensible explanation.

I learned the hard way! Many years ago I wrote a report for a public
service selection panel detailing our reasons to appoint a certain
candidate. I used the phrase "greater experience". The unsuccesful
applicant appealed, and won mainly because I had cited an invalid reason.
The word "experience" is not allowed to be used in a report, and the
concept of experience is not a valid consideration.

I once appointed someone to a position who had been doing a job 4 years.
The person who lost out, had been doing a similar job for 35 years. He
complained to me that he had "35 years experience". So what! It means
bugger all to me.

As with many who makes such a boast, he was also stuck in the same
mindset as when he started. Whenever new methods were put in place, his
response was nearly always "I have been doing this job 35 years".

Eventually he came under my authority, so I gave him all the crap jobs to
do and included him in the heavy lifting duites, (he was 62 and kept
complaining he was ill, though wouldn't submit to an examination, and the
lifting was never more than the legal 16 kilograms anyway). Eventually,
for some strange
reason, he decided it was time to grow tomatoes. Don't know why - he
always wanted to stay till he was 65. Funny how some people change their
minds for no reason :)

Mike
Go on - Look at life from a New Perspective
"http://www.angelfire.com/ma/newperspectives/intro.html"

ssp...@webtv.net

Jan 7, 2002, 8:54:45 AM1/7/02
In article <RMf_7.6913$cD4....@www.newsranger.com>, SG says...

>Doc Tsai
says...

><<There must be a newsgroup devoted to newsgroups,
with
>advice-from-experience about what helps a newsgroup fail or flourish. Can
anyone
>point us the way?>>
>
>ASR is successful with or without the addition of
this
>particular thread.
>
>SG

Short, sweet and true, SG!