Can't access/mount floppy in Solaris 9 X86

ohaya

Nov 21, 2004, 3:00:56 PM11/21/04

In Gnome, I try to right-click on the desktop, and click on "Floppy"
with a DOS-formatted diskette in the floppy drive, I am getting a
"segmentation fault", then the icons on the desktop disappear for awhile
and then re-appear. If I do that again, a new icon appears on the
desktop, and I get a window for formatting, but if I click on the Format
button, I can see the floppy accessed for less then a second, then the
new icon disappears. If I do a "mount", I can see an entry for "fd" but
it looks like it's not mounted (no mount point).

If I reboot, and try to do a "volcheck" the icon appears, and if I right
click on that and select Format, the same thing happens.

Can someone tell me what's wrong or how to access the floppy drive, as
I'd like to use it to move some files from another Windows PC.

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

Nov 22, 2004, 9:29:48 PM11/22/04

I think I may've found a possible fix at:

http://supportforum.sun.com/sunos/index.php?t=msg&goto=1415&rid=7008&SQ=9b1a167d3d3f1beb37861f434c58836d#msg_1415

which links to:

http://www.riddleware.com/solx86/solarisonintel/msg36664.html

But, I can't seem to do the patch.

When I run the initial command to display the code, it looks like:

physmem 3f86d
fdcsense_chng+0x2d:movl +0x24(%eax),%eax
fdcsense_chng+0x30: addl $7,%eax
fdcsense_chng+0x33: pushl %eax
fdcsense_chng+0x34: movl (%esp),%edx
fdcsense_chng+0x37: xorl %eax,%eax
fdcsense_chng+0x39: inb (%dx)
fdcsense_chng+0x3a: addl $4,%esp
fdcsense_chng+0x3d: movl +8(%ebp),%ecx
fdcsense_chng+0x40: cmpl $2,+0x38(%ecx)
fdcsense_chng+0x44: jne +7
<fdcsense_chng+0x4b>
fdcsense_chng+0x46: xorl $0x80,%eax
fdcsense_chng+0x4b: andl $0x80,%eax
fdcsense_chng+0x50:

Notice that instead of "physmem 3f7bb", I am getting "physmem 3f86d".
The rest seems the same as on the linked page.

And, when I try to run the patch command, I am getting:

physmem 3f86d
adb: failed to write to 0 at address 0xd3a5ddcf: target is not open for
writing

Does anyone know what I need to do to adjust the patch to work on my
system?

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

Nov 22, 2004, 9:57:30 PM11/22/04

Boy, I really have to learn to read CAREFULLY. I forgot the "w" in the
patch command, i.e, I had "adb -k" whereas it should've been "adb -wk".

After that, the patch worked like a charm for me, and I can now access
my floppy drive!!!!

Jim