Does Forte C++ 6 update 2, work with Solaris 10?

Larry Lindstrom

Oct 16, 2005, 3:49:36 AM10/16/05
Hi Folks:

When I start Forte C++ 6, update 2 with the
"workshop" command the "About WorkShop" window
pops up, and another window with "License Error:
Unable to check out a license" in the title bar.
Both windows have some fields colored in to show
that something would be displayed in that area,
but no text or buttons.

The "Sun Studio Support Matrix" at:

developers.sun.com/prodtech/cc/support/support_matrix.html

shows Forte Developer 6 update 2 only supporting
Solaris 7 through 9.

Is that it? I have a license for an IDE that
can't be used on Solaris 10?

I have collected some error messages, but if
Forte will never run on Solaris 10, I won't
pursue this further.

Trading up to Sun Studio 10 for $1000 is a
little steep for me right now. What's the deal
about a free copy for members of the OpenSolaris
community?

Thanks
Larry

Alan Coopersmith

Oct 16, 2005, 1:27:01 PM10/16/05
Larry Lindstrom <Nob...@aracnet.com> writes in alt.solaris.x86:

| The "Sun Studio Support Matrix" at:
|developers.sun.com/prodtech/cc/support/support_matrix.html
|shows Forte Developer 6 update 2 only supporting
|Solaris 7 through 9.

I think that's more about not wanting to spend the effort to
test and support a release that old on the new OS, than about
any known incompatibilities, but I don't know for sure.

I know the teamware portions of Forte 6 Update 2 still run on
Solaris 10 and later, since we still use those to manage our
source trees on those OS'es, and like the workshop GUI, those
weren't included in Sun Studio 7 & later.

| Trading up to Sun Studio 10 for $1000 is a
|little steep for me right now. What's the deal
|about a free copy for members of the OpenSolaris
|community?

If you're a member of the OpenSolaris community, it's free to use. If
you're going to upgrade, and cash is tight, you might want to wait for
the upcoming Sun Studio 11 release, which I think may be a little more
affordable for individual developers. (Though like you, I'm mainly a
user of the compilers, not part of the team, so I'm going on what I've
heard from others. I don't even know the exact release date, but it was
out in Beta a while ago and they're already publishing benchmarks using
it: http://www.sun.com/software/products/studio/benchmarks.xml and SPEC
has rules about how long you can publish before you release.)

Alan Coopersmith * al...@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coo...@Sun.COM
http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/ * http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

Larry Lindstrom

Oct 17, 2005, 3:18:55 AM10/17/05
Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Larry Lindstrom <Nob...@aracnet.com> writes in alt.solaris.x86:
> | The "Sun Studio Support Matrix" at:
> |developers.sun.com/prodtech/cc/support/support_matrix.html
> |shows Forte Developer 6 update 2 only supporting
> |Solaris 7 through 9.
>
> I think that's more about not wanting to spend the effort to
> test and support a release that old on the new OS, than about
> any known incompatibilities, but I don't know for sure.
>
> I know the teamware portions of Forte 6 Update 2 still run on
> Solaris 10 and later, since we still use those to manage our
> source trees on those OS'es, and like the workshop GUI, those
> weren't included in Sun Studio 7 & later.

Thanks Alan:

The license e-mail Sun sent includes a reference to
teamwork, so I'd like to try to start it and see if that
runs on my machine.

If it fails, with the same complaint about the license,
then perhaps there is something I failed to do in setting
up my machine.

I've never used this feature. How do you start the
teamware portions of Forte 6?

Thanks
Larry

Alan Coopersmith

Oct 18, 2005, 10:30:53 AM10/18/05
Larry Lindstrom <Nob...@aracnet.com> writes in alt.solaris.x86:
| I've never used this feature. How do you start the
|teamware portions of Forte 6?

"codemgrtool" should bring up the TeamWare GUI.

Alan Coopersmith

Nov 15, 2005, 2:49:24 PM11/15/05
Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes in alt.solaris.x86:

|If you're a member of the OpenSolaris community, it's free to use. If
|you're going to upgrade, and cash is tight, you might want to wait for
|the upcoming Sun Studio 11 release, which I think may be a little more
|affordable for individual developers.

And now it's announced - Sun Studio 11 licenses cost $0 for all users:
http://www.sun.com/software/products/studio/index.xml

Andrew Gabriel

Nov 15, 2005, 4:03:14 PM11/15/05
In article <dlde44$25v5$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
> Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes in alt.solaris.x86:
>|If you're a member of the OpenSolaris community, it's free to use. If
>|you're going to upgrade, and cash is tight, you might want to wait for
>|the upcoming Sun Studio 11 release, which I think may be a little more
>|affordable for individual developers.
>
> And now it's announced - Sun Studio 11 licenses cost $0 for all users:
> http://www.sun.com/software/products/studio/index.xml

Unfortunately, the download page it sends you to only has
Sun Studio 8, 9, and 10 on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Larry Lindstrom

Nov 15, 2005, 4:19:24 PM11/15/05
Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes in alt.solaris.x86:
> |If you're a member of the OpenSolaris community, it's free to use. If
> |you're going to upgrade, and cash is tight, you might want to wait for
> |the upcoming Sun Studio 11 release, which I think may be a little more
> |affordable for individual developers.
>
> And now it's announced - Sun Studio 11 licenses cost $0 for all users:
> http://www.sun.com/software/products/studio/index.xml

Thanks Alan:

That's interesting news.

Offering the best operating system and development
environment for free is nice, but I'm concerned for
Sun's viability.

I'm reminded of the saying, "We're selling at a
loss, but we make it up in volume".

Thanks
Larry

Larry Lindstrom

Nov 15, 2005, 4:45:57 PM11/15/05

Hi Andrew:

I was vectored to the same page, but after stepping
through the links back to the Studio 11 page, I was able
to download Sun Studio 11.

Have you had a chance to test your backup and recovery
scripts under Solaris 10?

I'm still bothered that ufsdump didn't save a critical
file under Solaris 8. But what other choice is there?

Larry

Andrew Gabriel

Nov 15, 2005, 5:53:54 PM11/15/05
In article <sLmdnVixweS...@comcast.com>,

Larry Lindstrom <nob...@aracnet.com> writes:
> Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> In article <dlde44$25v5$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>> Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>>And now it's announced - Sun Studio 11 licenses cost $0 for all users:
>>> http://www.sun.com/software/products/studio/index.xml
>>

>> Unfortunately, the download page it sends you to only has
>> Sun Studio 8, 9, and 10 on it.
>
> Hi Andrew:
>
> I was vectored to the same page, but after stepping
> through the links back to the Studio 11 page, I was able
> to download Sun Studio 11.

Found it. You have to pick the US link, and not the Int'l
link. Int'l link always takes you back to pages with only
Studio 8, 9, and 10.

> Have you had a chance to test your backup and recovery
> scripts under Solaris 10?

I haven't used it after Solaris 7.

mkfs_ufs was broken in Solaris 8, 9, and late Solaris 10
Express releases. I can't remember if I checked it in FCS.
There was a bugid on it, but it got closed as a dup of a
another bug, which then failed to fix the original fault.

> I'm still bothered that ufsdump didn't save a critical
> file under Solaris 8. But what other choice is there?

I vaguely recall seeing that. It made me suspect there
is a problem if the kernel recreates /etc/path_to_inst
during a ufsdump, when ufsdump has scanned the directory
structure but not yet copied the files. That is the only
possible reason I can think /etc/path_to_inst could be
missing from the dump (new /etc/path_to_inst has different
inode, and thus won't be in the dump). If that's the problem,
it's rather serious as it means a system restored from backup
will not be bootable.

I suspect that to avoid this, you would need to drop back
into single user mode to do the dump, and kill off devfsadmd
before you start it, if it's running.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel

Nov 15, 2005, 8:01:10 PM11/15/05
Just rebuilt an amd64 executable with studio11, and program
is 10% faster than when built with studio10 with same options.
(C program, CPU-intensive).

--
Andrew Gabriel