Corrugated Plastic for Collector Material

amdx

Oct 7, 2008, 4:27:31 PM10/7/08
Hi All,
I know that the corrugated plastic has some problems to overcome to be
useful for collectors, like glueing on headers,
deterioration in the sun, temperature, but!
I saw this heavy duty corrugated plastic at Home Depot, they use it as sign
material in different departments.
The pieces are about 24" x 30" I don't know what it is made of. I don't know
where they get it, or if it comes
in 4' x 8' pieces.
The reason I mention it is because of the thickness, I have not seen it
this thick before. (maybe I don't get out enough)
See a picture here.

http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/Qmavam/?action=view&current=HomeDepotCorrogatedPlastic.jpg

How thick would paint need to be to protect the plastic from the sun?
How about a thin layer of aluminum laid over the plastic with a thermal
compound to assist heat transfer?

Just throwing out ideas, and asking questions
Mike

bdar...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2008, 8:15:58 AM11/24/08
On Oct 7, 3:27 pm, "amdx" <a...@knology.net> wrote:
>   Hi All,
>  I know that the corrugated plastic has some problems to overcome to be
> useful for collectors, like glueing on headers,
> deterioration in the sun, temperature, but!
> I saw this heavy duty corrugated plastic at Home Depot, they use it as sign
> material in different departments.
> The pieces are about 24" x 30" I don't know what it is made of. I don't know
> where they get it, or if it comes
> in 4' x 8' pieces.
>  The reason I mention it is because of the thickness, I have not seen it
> this thick before. (maybe I don't get out enough)
> See a picture here.
>
> http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/Qmavam/?action=view¤t=H...

> How thick would paint need to be to protect the plastic from the sun?
> How about a thin layer of aluminum laid over the plastic with a thermal
> compound to assist heat transfer?
>
>               Just throwing out ideas, and asking questions
>                                      Mike

Don't Do it! There was a post about against what these guys (Green
Power Science) suggested and it stated that this plastic off gases
with heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_mEoFRSAQ

schooner

Nov 24, 2008, 10:51:50 AM11/24/08
Seems pretty ineffecient, cardboard or plastic are not good conductors of
heat, the channels are far too small as well for any amount of airflow.
For the work invovled there are far better solar air collector designs
around. A simple flat collector made from sheet metal or aluminum would be
much better.

<bdar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Oct 7, 3:27 pm, "amdx" <a...@knology.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I know that the corrugated plastic has some problems to overcome to be
> useful for collectors, like glueing on headers,
> deterioration in the sun, temperature, but!
> I saw this heavy duty corrugated plastic at Home Depot, they use it as
> sign
> material in different departments.
> The pieces are about 24" x 30" I don't know what it is made of. I don't
> know
> where they get it, or if it comes
> in 4' x 8' pieces.
> The reason I mention it is because of the thickness, I have not seen it
> this thick before. (maybe I don't get out enough)
> See a picture here.
>

> http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/Qmavam/?action=view川=H...

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Nov 25, 2008, 4:20:59 AM11/25/08
schooner <scho...@accesswave.ca> wrote:

>> How thick would paint need to be to protect the plastic from the sun?

How about a thin layer of HP92W polycarbonate?

>Don't Do it! There was a post about against what these guys (Green
>Power Science) suggested and it stated that this plastic off gases
>with heat.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_mEoFRSAQ

It seems to do well up to 173 F...

http://www.boedeker.com/polyp_p.htm

A freeze-tolerant version might be continously filled with water.

Nick

amdx

Nov 27, 2008, 9:57:12 PM11/27/08

<bdar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Oct 7, 3:27 pm, "amdx" <a...@knology.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I know that the corrugated plastic has some problems to overcome to be
> useful for collectors, like glueing on headers,
> deterioration in the sun, temperature, but!
> I saw this heavy duty corrugated plastic at Home Depot, they use it as
> sign
> material in different departments.
> The pieces are about 24" x 30" I don't know what it is made of. I don't
> know
> where they get it, or if it comes
> in 4' x 8' pieces.
> The reason I mention it is because of the thickness, I have not seen it
> this thick before. (maybe I don't get out enough)
> See a picture here.
>
> http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/Qmavam/?action=view川=H...

> How thick would paint need to be to protect the plastic from the sun?
> How about a thin layer of aluminum laid over the plastic with a thermal
> compound to assist heat transfer?
>
> Just throwing out ideas, and asking questions
> Mike

>Don't Do it! There was a post about against what these guys (Green
>Power Science) suggested and it stated that this plastic off gases
>with heat.

Sorry, I didn't say it in my post but I was thinking about a water heater
design.
If headers could be molded on the ends, water could be pumped through,
the cost would be low.
Mike