Take The Million Dollar Meetup Challenge for Dean

Dean 2004

Mar 8, 2003, 10:38:30 PM3/8/03
Take The Million Dollar Meetup Challenge for Dean

This idea started out of the New York Meetup... There are now almost
5,000 members signed up at Meetup.com for Howard Dean. March 31st is the
end of the 1st quarter for FEC reporting. As you know, Dean has been
getting great press but good press alone won't win the election.

The challenge is for all of us Meetup.com enthusiasts and netroots fans
of Dean to raise a million dollars for Dean's candidacy by March 31st.
Achieving such a goal would help Dean gain traction on all the press
he's been getting. Achieving such a goal would also help bring larger
donors in to the Dean campaign, and would secure Dean's position as a top
tier candidate for the Democratic nomination. And by adding a penny to
each donation, we'd demonstrate to the FEC and the press the power of
internet activism.

A million bucks, though? How do we reach that?

If every one of the 5,000 people who have signed up for Meetup or
joined a Yahoo group for Howard Dean took it upon themselves to donate the
cost of an average movie($10.00), and ensure that 10 friends do the
same, then we will have raised $500,000 for the campaign. Since Federal
campaign laws match every dollar raised under the $250.00 level, that's
$1,000,000 right there.

I think we can do it. And we can demonstrate the power of grassroots
internet activism by adding a penny for the internet. Go over to
www.deanforamerica.com and make a $10.01 contribution today. Then forward this
message on to 10 people and encourage them to to do the same. Or, print
up some of the contribution forms and have your friends fill them out.
Just be sure that your friends follow up by March 31st!

This could really work. But only if you do it! Please pass this message
along, post it, print it up, hand it out. Take the Million Dollar
Meetup Challenge for Dean!