Should Medicare Be Available to All AND Be Voluntary?

Michael Ejercito

Jan 14, 2007, 4:26:37 PM1/14/07
Currently, Medicare is funded by taxes which everyone has to pay,
even though not everyone is covered under Medicare.

I have heard and read about how good a program Medicare is.
Therefore, if it is good, most people will choose to enroll. So I
propose reforming Medicare so that it is voluntary, there is no age
qualification, and it is entirely funded by those who choose to enroll
in Medicare.

Michael

blazinglaser

Jan 14, 2007, 4:57:07 PM1/14/07
On 14 Jan 2007 13:26:37 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Michael! Haven't seen you around for a while. Been posting under
another name?

The idea has its merits but it fails to address the one real problem
with private insurance.

Private insurance companies want to cherry-pick only the healthiest
people to insure. That's why we have medicare in the first place,
because the insurance companies got the govt. to take the old and
chronically sick off their back.

Under the 'voluntary medicare' system, the people who went for
medicare would be people who couldn't get insurance from private
insurers. They would cost more per person, so the medicare would cost
more per person.

The idea of UNIVERSAL health coverage is that EVERYONE is in the same
pool. That means everyone is covered and everyone shares the expense
The healthy and/or rich pay a little more than they might if they were
in a pool by themselves, but the sick and/or poor can still get the
access to health care that they need.

Adam Albright

Jan 14, 2007, 5:15:46 PM1/14/07
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, Medicare is funded by taxes which everyone has to pay,
>even though not everyone is covered under Medicare.

No doofus, not everyone has to pay. Members of Congress don't for
example. They voted themselves a much sweetier deal where they get
some of the best health care in the world and it doesn't cost them a
dime. Pretty sick you consider that Congressmen get a six figure
salary.

liber...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2007, 9:19:19 PM1/14/07

Sayyyyyy, this has possibilities. How about making the Iraq invasion
and war payable by those who support it? That alone is at least a
$1,000,000,000,000 savings to the nation.

Foxtrot

Jan 15, 2007, 10:28:10 AM1/15/07
liber...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Michael Ejercito wrote:
>> Currently, Medicare is funded by taxes which everyone has to pay,
>> even though not everyone is covered under Medicare.
>>
>> I have heard and read about how good a program Medicare is.
>> Therefore, if it is good, most people will choose to enroll. So I
>> propose reforming Medicare so that it is voluntary, there is no age
>> qualification, and it is entirely funded by those who choose to enroll
>> in Medicare.

The only people who would enroll are those with big medical
problems. The people who need it can't afford to pay much into it.
When recipients expect far more than they intend to put into it,
you have what is known as a pyramid scheme. Good way to make
the point that the program is an unfair handout.

>Sayyyyyy, this has possibilities. How about making the Iraq invasion
>and war payable by those who support it? That alone is at least a
>$1,000,000,000,000 savings to the nation.

You're obsessed, Liberalwhore. Seek help.

Well Done

Jan 16, 2007, 3:53:50 PM1/16/07
Foxtrot <fox...@null.com> wrote:

>liber...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>Sayyyyyy, this has possibilities. How about making the Iraq invasion
>>and war payable by those who support it? That alone is at least a
>>$1,000,000,000,000 savings to the nation.
>
>You're obsessed, Liberalwhore. Seek help.

Yet another example of a lefty entering a discussion with no intention
of actually "discussing". To take his moronic example further, then,
those who finance the war would have exclusive access to all benefits
accruing from it, including reduced terror in the world. Yes, it's
dumb, but that's the left. Their minds take them places we don't want
to go. The results of their bullshit have created almost all of the
world's problems.
--
): "I may make you feel, but I can't make you think" :(
(: Off the monitor, through the modem, nothing but net :)