Pizza story (related to Re: Pizza delivery and other states of ridiculousness

NandO BBS System

Mar 3, 1994, 11:38:17 AM3/3/94
In my posting yesterday about pizza delivery, etc., I neglected to
mention that I am *not* a boomer--I was born in 1972, one of the years in
which real wages first began to plummet.

From talking to a friend of mine, I decided that our generation's crisis
is less economic than spiritual/existential. There are lots of "jobs"
out there--but none of them seem to be worth doing. Also, the employment
marketplace is changing. Many corporations prefer to hire 2 part-timers
instead of 1 full-timer, leaving many GenXers working two part-time jobs
(or more) with no benefits. My parents, like many of yours, are still
the beneficiaries of full-time employment situations, and their
generation seems to be guarding their positions with great care.

A brief pizza delivery tale. . . Our store closes at 1am on Friday, but
we take orders until that time, so a delivery might go out as late as
1:45. The last order of the night was assigned to me. I arrived at a
run-down wooden whitewash house (the kindou see all over the South) and
stepped up on a porch lit by what must have been a 20 watt bulb. The
interior of the house was unlit, but I knocked on the door anyway. For
at least 5 minutes, at least 10 sets of eyeballs peered at me through the
blinds--I was getting nervous. A man stumbled out, drunk/stoned/high.
In the polite Pizza Hut manner, I said, "That will be $28, sir." (He had
ordered a pizza with so many toppings it was $28!) He fumbled around,
dropping money off the porch, giving me a $1 bill instead of a $5 bill.
We had finally made the deal, when the noise of a commotion emanated from
the house. As a ran to my car, keys in hand, I heard the man yell at the
people in his house, "I'LL CALL THE AMBULANCE IN A MINUTE!!!"

To anyone who thinks my topic is inane and useless, I apologize. I'm
exploring the option of starting an alt.pizza.boy group--I know my
brethren are out there and are dying to be heard.

Ross Perot's comment on pizza delivery illustrates the relevance of the
topic to this group (I paraphrase): "Why is it that everyone who delivers
a pizza to my house has a college degree?"

Chad Dickerson
ch...@nando.net

Dan Sherrill

Mar 3, 1994, 2:09:19 PM3/3/94
NandO BBS System (na...@nando.net) wrote:
[...]

When I first read this, I thought of a common "argument" I've seen
in t.p.g and recently used in a magazine (can't remember the 'zine) article
titled "A Nation of Cowards". Often, when talking about guns,
police protection, self defense, etc., someone will say "Call for a pizza,
call for an ambulance and call for the police. See who shows up
first."

Perhpas these folks were trying to repeat this experiment (obviously
they need some help here!).

: To anyone who thinks my topic is inane and useless, I apologize. I'm

Leslie Devlin

Mar 5, 1994, 9:33:27 PM3/5/94
NandO BBS System <ch...@wart.nando.net> wrote:
>Ross Perot's comment on pizza delivery illustrates the relevance of the
>topic to this group (I paraphrase): "Why is it that everyone who delivers
>a pizza to my house has a college degree?"

There was a great cartoon in the daily Texan about two or three
months ago, which is now hanging above my desk at work. It shows
two Xer cafe waiters, one saying:

"I finally found a use for my diploma -- I laminated it to my tray."

-Leslie, who doesn't care where she works as long as the weather
stays this nice (86 high in Austin today! WooooooOOOOOO!)
>Chad Dickerson
>ch...@nando.net

Leslie Devlin * lde...@nyx.cs.du.edu * qar...@hyperion.com * la...@io.com
Texas: Where the men are men and the women are elected officials