GOP pulls Bush ad & the George W. Bush superhighway turns into a rock-filled path.

Harry Hope

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00

From The Associated Press, 8/23/00:
http://www.newsday.com/ap/topnews/ap893.htm

The next week or so will be crucial as the numbers settle down, people
in both campaigns say.

More often than not, the candidate ahead on Labor Day wins the
election.

As Gore basked in the afterglow of his convention from the deck of a
Mississippi riverboat, the Republican nominee had a ragged few days of
campaigning:

-- Bush's assertion to the Veterans of Foreign Wars that President
Clinton had let the military decline since 1993 was challenged by both
Gore and the only Republican in the Clinton Cabinet, Defense Secretary
William Cohen. Defense budgets actually started falling in 1986,
during the Reagan administration, and the military last year got the
biggest pay raise in a generation.

-- In an unusual admission, Bush told reporters he needed ''to do a
better job'' to defend his $1.3 trillion tax cut proposal against
criticism that it is too costly and favors the wealthy. Caught off
guard by the intensity of the Democratic attack, the Bush campaign was
scrambling to prepare a counteroffensive for Thursday to criticize
Gore's more modest $500 billion, 10-year tax cut plan.

-- At a fund-raiser in Des Moines, Bush appeared tired and mangled his
words several times, repeating phrases and at one point saying the
nation shouldn't be held ''hostile'' by terrorists or rogue powers --
when he meant to say ''hostage.''

Both campaigns were working to fine-tune their messages and keep or
regain their footing.

The Republican National Committee, with the knowledge of the Bush
campaign, had planned this week to air a biting ad questioning Gore's
veracity.

But the spot was pulled at the last minute Wednesday after senior
Republicans -- including Bush advisers -- raised objections.

The spot, which had been sent to dozens of TV stations in several
states, featured a 1994 Gore interview in which the vice president
said neither he nor Clinton had lied in their public careers.

Critics inside the GOP's highest ranks called the interview outdated
and questioned whether such a critical ad should run in the midst of
Gore's convention bounce.

They also feared it could backfire if moderate and independent voters
thought Republicans were raising the Monica Lewinsky case again.

Trouble in Grand Oil Party paradise. The house is beginning to sag.

Harry

"When we carry Iowa in November, it'll mean the end of four years of
Clinton-Gore."

Georgie W. "Dimwit" -- At Iowa fundraising, Reuters, 8/22/00

R. Decker

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
In article <39a44f14....@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,
riv...@ix.netcom.com (Harry Hope) wrote:

> From The Associated Press, 8/23/00:
> http://www.newsday.com/ap/topnews/ap893.htm
>
> The next week or so will be crucial as the numbers settle down, people
> in both campaigns say.
>
> More often than not, the candidate ahead on Labor Day wins the
> election.
>
> As Gore basked in the afterglow of his convention from the deck of a
> Mississippi riverboat, the Republican nominee had a ragged few days of
> campaigning:
>
> -- Bush's assertion to the Veterans of Foreign Wars that President
> Clinton had let the military decline since 1993 was challenged by both
> Gore and the only Republican in the Clinton Cabinet, Defense Secretary
> William Cohen. Defense budgets actually started falling in 1986,

Typical libshit, equating "decline" with "not as much spending".
Apparently Gore and Cohen do not realize that cash isn't the only
solution to problems, and that there are greater reasons for low morale
and preparedness then the amount of money being spent.

> during the Reagan administration, and the military last year got the
> biggest pay raise in a generation.
>
> -- In an unusual admission, Bush told reporters he needed ''to do a
> better job'' to defend his $1.3 trillion tax cut proposal against
> criticism that it is too costly and favors the wealthy. Caught off
> guard by the intensity of the Democratic attack, the Bush campaign was
> scrambling to prepare a counteroffensive for Thursday to criticize
> Gore's more modest $500 billion, 10-year tax cut plan.

Not hard....Gore isn't proposing a tax cut. He's proposing several new
big government entitlement programs.