Bauer attacked by 'flu terrorist' Dan Savage

1 view

John Crawford

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Sickening Column Saddens Bauer
Magazine columnist intentionally sought to infect GOP candidate

Field Reports From the Campaign Trail
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/BRIEFS.html

Jan. 28 - Gary Bauer says he is saddened by an article that details the
first-person, undercover exploits of a columnist who secretly joined his
Iowa campaign to give him a contagious virus.

In the online magazine Salon, the sex columnist Dan Savage (fomerly a
personal relationship columnist for ABCNEWS.com) chronicles trying to give
Bauer his flu bug by licking doorknobs, keyboards and coffee cups at the
campaign's Des Moines, Iowa, headquarters. Savage says he even chewed and
licked pens and then gave them to Bauer to write with.
"I'm not particularly feeling anger," Bauer said. "I just feel kinda sad for
the guy that he's so consumed with hate that he would not only do something
like this, but actually brag about it."
The openly gay columnist said he was trying to get back at Bauer for
opposing gay marriage.
- ABCNEWS

xona

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
The really nice thing about the human creep and bigot Bauer is that
Alan Keyes is destroying him as the two try to see who can get the
most support from the far-right bigoted, racist, homophobic,
sexuyally-repressed, anti-woman faction of the religious scum of
America.

xona

John Crawford

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Attack of the slobber slinger
by: Joel Miller
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_miller/20000129_xcmil_attack_slo.shtml
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com
SATURDAY
JANUARY 29, 2000

"A cough is something that you yourself can't help, but everybody else does
on purpose just to torment you." --Ogden Nash

The great thing about politics today is that you don't need to address
issues, propose policy, or refute charges from your opponents. All you need
is drool.

In a move that gives all new meaning to "licking your enemy," Salon.com sex
columnist Dan Savage -- posing as a volunteer for Republican presidential
hopeless Gary Bauer -- actually plotted to give the undersized former Reagan
domestic policy advisor the flu.

After hearing Bauer on MSNBC say, "Our society will be destroyed if we say
it's OK for a man to marry a man or a woman to marry a woman," the openly
homosexual Savage decided to live up to his name. Sick with the flu, Savage
hatched a little "germination" political strategy: "Naked, feverish and
higher than a kite on codeine aspirin, I called the Bauer campaign and
volunteered. My plan? Get close enough to Bauer to give him the flu, which,
if I am successful, will lay him flat just before the New Hampshire
primary."

With a plot as tight as an Agatha Christie novel, Savage had the details
worked to a Typhoid Mary "T."

"I would go to Bauer's campaign office and cough on everything -- phones and
pens, staplers and staffers," he wrote in his Salon column. "I even hatched
a plan to infect the candidate himself. I would keep the pen in my mouth
until Bauer dropped by his offices to rally the troops, and when he did, I
would approach him and ask for his autograph, handing him the pen from my
flu-virus incubating mouth."

Somehow I don't recall germ juggling a tactic recommended in Saul D.
Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals," but, as Salon has said in the past, "ugly
times call for ugly tactics."

Danny the Drooler certainly got ugly. With no one around to observe the
proceedings and his sinuses "running like an open tap," sick-as-a-dog Savage
went from doorknob to doorknob slobbering like a rabid St. Bernard, leaving
a trail of saliva intended to "get as many of (Bauer's) people sick as I
could, and hopefully one of them would infect the candidate."

What a sweetie.

"My plan was a little malicious," Savage admitted, "even a little
mean-spirited -- but those same words describe the tactics used by Bauer and
the rest of the religious right against gays and lesbians," which of course
justifies the whole stunt, right? Man calls you a name, you give him your
bug. Makes sense ... in a third-grader sort of way.

In the end, however, maybe Savage will graduate to the big time -- or at
least serve some.

Wanting to participate in the caucus vote itself, Savage was handed a form
to fill out: "You must be a citizen of the United States," it said.

"Check," he wrote.

"At least 17 and a half years old," it said.

"Check," he wrote.

"Never been convicted of a felony," it said.

"Be patient," I write.

According to a spokesman for Iowa's attorney general's office, Savage's
saliva stunt leaves the germ warrior open to felony assault charges.

This might actually be the entire point. Not to itch my John
Birchist-Illuminati-Trilateralist-NWO side but I think I might know the real
reason behind the slobber strategy. According to Matt Drudge, "For the last
three months, Salon.com' s operating expenses were $9,817,000 with revenue
of only $3,016,000. The website spent $5,641,000 on promotion. ..." In other
words, Salon's got a spending problem worse than the federal government.

Looking at the incident in this light, perhaps gay-guerilla tactics are just
a clever ruse -- a lavender herring, so to speak. Maybe Salon was just
looking to cut its promotion budget and thought all that free-trial
publicity would be a way to do it. I bet O.J. got more TV coverage sitting
beside Johnny Cochran not fitting into blood-stained gloves than when he was
busy hustling the pigskin on the 100-yard green.

Meanwhile, after making a lame attempt to support the guy, Salon would be
justified in firing the yutz -- another brilliant budgeting move. One more
bum off the payroll, after all, is money in the bank.

Wanting to research more on this angle, I yanked my phone off the hook and
started dialing like a 900-number junkie. Much to my dismay, however, out of
the corner of my eye, I spied the Rod Dreher's New York Post column on the
mouth job -- specifically the spot where he said that Savage couldn't be
reached for comment.

"He's lost somewhere in the Midwest," according to his Seattle office --
which probably means back on the campaign trail, incognito, busily trying to
infect Alan Keyes with tuberculosis. More power to him, I say. I only hope
the next doorknobs he licks on the campaign trail are of the outside, frozen
variety. Then everyone can laugh at the spittle soldier with his tongue
stuck on the latch.

Joel Miller is managing editor of WorldNetDaily Publishing.

Thomas Mahoney

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <86ve4q$fm6$1...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,
Craw...@worldnet.att.net says...

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary
(Quincy, Illinois)

For Immediate Release January 27, 2000

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE

January 25, 2000

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)

In my report to the Congress of July 19, 1999, I provided further
information on the deployment of combat-equipped U.S. Armed Forces to
Bosnia and Herzegovina and other states in the region in order to
participate in and support the North Atlantic Treaty Organization
(NATO)-led Stabilization Force (SFOR), which began its mission and
assumed authority from the NATO-led Implementation Force on December 20,
1996. I am providing this supplemental report, consistent with the War
Powers Resolution, to help ensure that the Congress is kept fully
informed on continued U.S. contributions in support of peacekeeping
efforts in the former Yugoslavia.

The U.N. Security Council authorized member states to continue SFOR for a
period of 12 months in U.N. Security Council Resolution 1247 of June 18,
1999. The mission of SFOR is to provide a continued military presence in
order to deter hostilities, stabilize and consolidate the peace in Bosnia
and Herzegovina, contribute to a secure environment, and provide, within
its means and capabilities, selective support to key areas and key civil
implementation organizations.

The U.S. force contribution to SFOR in Bosnia and Herzegovina is in the
process of being reduced from approximately 6,200 to 4,600 personnel. In
the second half of 1999, all NATO nations and 19 others, including Russia
and Ukraine, have provided military personnel or other support to SFOR.
Most U.S. forces are assigned to Multinational Division, North, centered
around the city of Tuzla. In addition, approximately 1,500 U.S. military
personnel are deployed to Hungary, Croatia, and Italy in order to provide
logistical and other support to SFOR. The U.S. forces continue to
support SFOR in efforts to apprehend persons indicted for war crimes. In
the last 6 months, U.S. forces have sustained no combat-related
fatalities.

I have directed the participation of U.S. Armed Forces in these
operations pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S.
foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive, and in
accordance with various statutory authorities.
I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress
fully informed about developments in Bosnia and Herzegovina and other
states in the region. I will continue to consult closely with the
Congress regarding our efforts to foster peace and stability in the
former Yugoslavia.

Sincerely,

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

# # #

The White House

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

tony G as Frank Cannon

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:47:04 -0500, "John Crawford"
<Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

I'm assuming that you don't know that Dan Savage writes satire.

I suppose only RUSH is funny to some people.

The White House

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <86vojj$sc4$1...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>,
Craw...@worldnet.att.net says...

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release January 22, 2000

RADIO ADDRESS BY THE PRESIDENT
TO THE NATION

Pasadena, California

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. In just a few days, I will
report to the American people and the Congress on the State of the
Union, and I'll propose new ways to meet the many challenges of this
exciting new century. One of the most important challenges we have is
strengthening and modernizing Medicare. Today I want to give you a
progress report on our efforts to do just that, through our ongoing
fight against fraud, waste and abuse in the Medicare system.

For more than 30 years now, Medicare has helped us fulfill one
of our most fundamental obligations, to protect the health of older
Americans. But when I became President, Medicare was projected to go
bankrupt by 1999. Since I took office we have made tough choices to
strengthen Medicare. We've extended the life of the trust fund until at
least 2015, with better management not only of Medicare, but of the
economy, and by waging a sustained campaign against Medicare fraud.

Medicare fraud and waste are more than an abuse of the system,
they're an abuse of the taxpayer. By over-billing, charging for phony
procedures and selling substandard supplies, Medicare cheats cost
taxpayers hundreds of millions a year. That's why we've assigned more
federal prosecutors and FBI agents than ever to fight this kind of
fraud, and why we've invested in new tools to investigate and prosecute
these crimes. All told, our efforts have prevented the wasteful
spending of an estimated $50 billion. And aggressive enforcement has
recovered nearly $1.6 billion for the Medicare trust fund.

Today I'm releasing two reports that show just how effective
this fight against fraud has been. Americans can be proud. The first
report shows that in 1999, we recovered nearly half a billion dollars in
fines and settlements, and returned three-quarters of that to the
Medicare trust fund. The second report, on Medicare integrity, shows
our success in catching fraudulent claims and preventing $5.3 billion
worth of inappropriate payments in the last year alone. So when it
comes to prosecuting fraud and abuse, we're doing more than filing
cases; we're also winning convictions.

In the last year, convictions in health care fraud cases shot
up by a fifth, for an increase of more than 410 percent since I became
President. Just this week, the Department of Justice won another
important victory for Medicare beneficiaries. A health care company had
been bilking Medicare by sending patients for needless tests and
procedures. The more tests providers ordered, the more kickbacks they
got in return -- lavish dinners, yacht trips. Federal prosecutors took
the company to court and won the largest such settlement in history,
recovering nearly a half a billion dollars.

The more cases we win, the more criminals we convict, the
clearer the message becomes: Medicare fraud is a serious crime with
serious consequences.

Though our efforts are stronger than ever, Medicare
contractors still pay false claims totaling in the billions. That is
simply unacceptable. So today, I'm announcing a new initiative to crack
down on fraud and abuse in Medicare. My balanced budget for 2001 will
create a team of Medicare fraud fighters -- one in the office of every
Medicare contractor in America -- and take other new steps to ensure
that our response to fraud is coordinated and quick. The budget also
funds new technologies to track false claims.

I urge Congress to make these investments, and to give
Medicare the authority to bid competitively for contractors who
administer the program, as well as for services provided directly to
beneficiaries.

Medicare is vital to the health of our nation. It's too
important ever to be compromised. If we take these steps to reform and
strengthen Medicare, and if we modernize it with a voluntary
prescription drug benefit, then we will adapt a program that has worked
in the past to the needs of the future.

Thanks for listening.

END

Replicant

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <389ba086....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as
Frank Cannon) wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:47:04 -0500, "John Crawford"
> <Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> I'm assuming that you don't know that Dan Savage writes satire.

Yeah...those "hate crimes" sure are a hoot!

Lenscap1

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
And this clown is being paid to write pieces on "personal relationships"
and pieces dealing with the tender topics of human sexuality...? What a
fucking joke....

John Crawford <Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<86ve4q$fm6$1...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> Sickening Column Saddens Bauer
> Magazine columnist intentionally sought to infect GOP candidate

Lenscap1

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
hey wait a minute...isn't your below listed statement just filled with
'mean-spirited", "intolerant", "offensive" adverbs...? can anyone say
hypocrite...? I can......

xona <xo...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<86vf4f$m3m$2...@nnrp03.primenet.com>...
> The really nice thing about the human creep and bigot Bauer......

Bill

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
tony G as Frank Cannon wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:47:04 -0500, "John Crawford"
> <Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> I'm assuming that you don't know that Dan Savage writes satire.

That was my first thought as well. I mean, can you really imagine
someone licking doorknobs? At the Gary Bauer headquarters, yet?

D.G. Porter

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Gary Bauer himself, maybe.
"Um, yummy-nums, tastes like penis!"

tony G as Frank Cannon

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:35:02 -0500, Replicant
<a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:

>In article <389ba086....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as

>Frank Cannon) wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:47:04 -0500, "John Crawford"
>> <Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm assuming that you don't know that Dan Savage writes satire.
>

>Yeah...those "hate crimes" sure are a hoot!

What hate crimes would that be?

Replicant

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <3897ef8a....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as
Frank Cannon) wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:35:02 -0500, Replicant
> <a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <389ba086....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G
> >as
> >Frank Cannon) wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:47:04 -0500, "John Crawford"
> >> <Craw...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm assuming that you don't know that Dan Savage writes satire.
> >
> >Yeah...those "hate crimes" sure are a hoot!
>
> What hate crimes would that be?

Attempting physical harm to someone because of their political or religious
views.

benrand

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
It's really about getting an upper hand on someone else, not justice.
Witness this sleaszy asshole, Savage.

tony G as Frank Cannon

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:55:36 -0500, Replicant
<a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:

>In article <3897ef8a....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as
>Frank Cannon) wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:35:02 -0500, Replicant
>> <a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <389ba086....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G
>> >as

>> >Yeah...those "hate crimes" sure are a hoot!
>>
>> What hate crimes would that be?
>
>Attempting physical harm to someone because of their political or religious
>views.

When did he do that? Like I said he writes satire.

Replicant

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <38a19595....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as
Frank Cannon) wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:55:36 -0500, Replicant
> <a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <3897ef8a....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G
> >as
> >Frank Cannon) wrote:

> >> What hate crimes would that be?
> >
> >Attempting physical harm to someone because of their political or
> >religious
> >views.
>
> When did he do that? Like I said he writes satire.

Was it "satire" when he broke election laws when he illegally voted in the Iowa
caucus? Do you think the judge will buy such a far-fetched story of someone
who's been shown to have a disrepect for the law based on their desire to
achieve a political goal?

tony G as Frank Cannon

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 00:25:16 -0500, Replicant
<a_rep...@hotmail.NOSPAM4ME.com> wrote:

Why do so many people on usenet have such a hard time following the
context of things?

You whined about his "Attempting physical harm" and I responded to
that and then you whine on about election fraud. I find it amazing
that people brains can work(or not) like this.

I suppose this what years of RUSH does to the average neo-con.

Replicant

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <38a3df27....@news.supernews.com>, kur...@ass.ass (tony G as
Frank Cannon) wrote:

Which he claimed he was attempting.

> then you whine on about election fraud. I find it amazing that people brains

Yes, you can see a pattern of purposed criminal manuevering in his activities in
Iowa.

> can work(or not) like this.
>
> I suppose this what years of RUSH does to the average neo-con.

What is it that causes ultra-libs to think that "hate crimes" are funny?

maf

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00

Replicant wrote:

> What is it that causes ultra-libs to think that "hate crimes" (Dan Savage licking
> doorknobs in an attempt to infect famlinazi Gary Bauer: maf) are funny?

As the first person to post a bit of the original article on this newsgroup (which
people ignored) I feel compelled to comment.Savage's only crime was in horrendously
over-estimating the critical facilities of his reading audience. Satire and
metaphor. Repeat that to yourself until you understand.
First, Bauer called Savage (and his family) "terrorists", no he said Savage and his
family were _worse_ than terrorists.
Then Savage, definitely under the influence of a mind-altering affliction, tried to
_act_ like one with absolutely dismal results (he really did do his job and his
attempts to "infect" Bauer were pathetically ineffective and his tactics indicated
that most people have no clue how the flu is really spread, sort of a metaphor for
A---S).
Metaphor and satire. Reread the damn thing, carefully this time.

And try to answer the question that Savage wishes all those "liberal" journalists
would ask gay-bashing repubes.

-mike farris

Rob Robertson

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
maf wrote:

> Replicant wrote:
>
> > What is it that causes ultra-libs to think that "hate crimes" (Dan Savage licking
> > doorknobs in an attempt to infect famlinazi Gary Bauer: maf) are funny?
>
> As the first person to post a bit of the original article on this newsgroup (which
> people ignored) I feel compelled to comment.Savage's only crime was in horrendously
> over-estimating the critical facilities of his reading audience. Satire and
> metaphor. Repeat that to yourself until you understand.

It read like a factual report, and in that report Savage claimed to have willfully
and with premeditation set out to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus. *That* is a
crime, as far as I'm concerned.

> First, Bauer called Savage (and his family) "terrorists", no he said Savage
> and his family were _worse_ than terrorists.

No, that's not what he said. Read it again;

From http://www.salon.com/politics2000/feature/2000/01/25/bauer/index.html;

[...]

On day three, still sick as a dog, I decided I had to get out
of bed and do my job. I had planned on following one of the
loopy conservative Christian candidates around -- Bauer or
Keyes -- and writing something insightful and humanizing
about the candidate, his campaign and his supporters. Then,
from my deathbed, I caught Gary Bauer on MSNBC. "Our

society will be destroyed if we say it's OK for a man to

marry a man or a woman to marry a woman," Bauer said.
Seeing Bauer go off about gay marriage reminded me of
something he said back in December when the Vermont
Supreme Court came out for same-sex marriage. "I think
what the Vermont Supreme Court did last week was in
some ways worse than terrorism," Bauer told the Associated
Press.

> Then Savage, definitely under the influence of a mind-altering affliction, tried to
> _act_ like one with absolutely dismal results (he really did do his job and his
> attempts to "infect" Bauer were pathetically ineffective and his tactics indicated
> that most people have no clue how the flu is really spread, sort of a metaphor for
> A---S).

Do you mean AIDS? AIDS is transmitted primarily by sexual contact, blood transfusion
or shared (unsterilized) needles. Influenza is a virus that is spread by breathing in
airborne water droplets or coming into contact with surfaces that are contaminated
with the virus and transferring them to mucous membranes, such as the mouth or nose.
Equating the method of spreading the flu with that of AIDS is ridiculous.

> Metaphor and satire. Reread the damn thing, carefully this time.

From http://www.salon.com/politics2000/feature/2000/01/25/bauer/index1.html;

In my Sudafed-induced delirium I decided that if it's
terrorism Bauer wants, then it's terrorism Bauer is going get
-- and I'm just the man to terrorize him. Naked, feverish and

higher than a kite on codeine aspirin, I called the Bauer
campaign and volunteered. My plan? Get close enough to
Bauer to give him the flu, which, if I am successful, will lay
him flat just before the New Hampshire primary.

...and from http://www.salon.com/politics2000/feature/2000/01/25/bauer/index3.html;

"Gary is having a press conference today at the World War II
memorial by the state capitol," Andy tells me when I arrive
for my second shift at Bauer 2000 HQ. "We'd like to have a
crowd of supporters there." Andy hands me a list of phone
numbers and shows me to a phone. It's about 11 a.m. in the
morning, and I've come thinking I could make calls for a
couple of hours, cough on a some phones and then head
over to the volunteer appreciation pizza party, where I'd give
Gary Bauer my pen and, hopefully, the flu. But Andy wants
me to call people until 15 minutes before the press
conference, which means I'm going to miss the party.

[...]

I went from doorknob to doorknob. They were filthy, no
doubt, but there wasn't time to find a rag to spit on. My
immune system wasn't all it should be -- I was in the grip of
the worst flu I had ever had -- but I was on a mission. If for
some reason I didn't manage to get a pen from my mouth to
Gary's hands, I wanted to seed his office with germs, get as
many of his people sick as I could, and hopefully one of

them would infect the candidate.

So, much as it pains me to confirm a hateful stereotype of
gay men -- we will put anything in our mouths -- I started
licking doorknobs. The front door, office doors, even a
bathroom door. When that was done, I started in on the
staplers, phones and computer keyboards. Then I stood in
the kitchen and licked the rims of all the clean coffee cups
drying in the rack.

[...]

But I couldn't bring myself to lick Andy's keyboard
or phone. He'd been so nice, and however far apart we
were politically, I wouldn't wish this flu on him.

[...]

He took the picture, and then I pulled the pen out of my
mouth and handed it to him. Score! My bodily fluids -- flu
bugs and all -- were all over his hand! When he went to sign
the photo, no ink came out. Gary looked up at the cameras
and said, "Looks like everything is frozen." He grabbed a
poster and scribbled on it to get the ink flowing, then signed
the picture. He handed me my pen, and started to walk
toward his van. He stopped to answer a reporter's question,
and I saw him run a finger under his nose. Perfect. I didn't
need to lick all those doorknobs after all.

< end cite >

I read the entire article, and the idea of infecting Gary Bauer
with the flu virus was not a hypothetical situation; it is what
he actually tried to do as a political dirty trick. Savage also
claims to vote in every Republican primary in order to skew the
race to the hard-right *and* he lied about Iowa residency to
vote, so his intent was not merely 'satire' or creating some
kind of 'metaphor'; it was akin to germ warfare and he should
be facing an assault charge.

> And try to answer the question that Savage wishes all those "liberal"
> journalists would ask gay-bashing repubes.

He marginalized any legitimate questions he may have when he decided
to intentionally infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus for political
purposes, and anyone interested in addressing those questions and issues
should address *that* first. Any further refusal to face up to the facts
only makes matters worse.

> -mike farris

_
Rob Robertson

Replicant

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00

> Replicant wrote:
>
> > What is it that causes ultra-libs to think that "hate crimes" (Dan Savage
> > licking doorknobs in an attempt to infect famlinazi Gary Bauer: maf) are
> > funny?

....and better yet, what makes ultra-libs think that attributing things never
said by a person (the above text) makes them any more credible?

> As the first person to post a bit of the original article on this newsgroup
> (which people ignored) I feel compelled to comment.Savage's only crime was in
> horrendously over-estimating the critical facilities of his reading audience.

You're right. You would have thought that a reasonable person would find hate
crimes humorous </sarcasm>. Radio disc jockeys have been fired for less.

> Satire and metaphor. Repeat that to yourself until you understand. First,

> Bauer called Savage (and his family) "terrorists", no he said Savage and his

Yeah..I get the irony.

> family were _worse_ than terrorists. Then Savage, definitely under the

> influence of a mind-altering affliction, tried to _act_ like one with
> absolutely dismal results (he really did do his job and his attempts to

Was it also his job to break election laws?

> "infect" Bauer were pathetically ineffective and his tactics indicated that

His election fraud shows that he's not likley the brightest bulb in the pack, so
that he's "ineffective" is hardly a suprise.

> most people have no clue how the flu is really spread, sort of a metaphor for

> A---S). Metaphor and satire. Reread the damn thing, carefully this time.

> And try to answer the question that Savage wishes all those "liberal"
> journalists would ask gay-bashing repubes.

What's a "repube" or is that just another example of what you think passes as
humor? That might have made me giggle in grade school....now that I think of it.

maf

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00

Rob Robertson wrote:

> maf wrote:
> >
> > Replicant wrote:
> >
> > > What is it that causes ultra-libs to think that "hate crimes" (Dan Savage licking
> > > doorknobs in an attempt to infect famlinazi Gary Bauer: maf) are funny?
> >
> > As the first person to post a bit of the original article on this newsgroup (which
> > people ignored) I feel compelled to comment.Savage's only crime was in horrendously
> > over-estimating the critical facilities of his reading audience. Satire and
> > metaphor. Repeat that to yourself until you understand.
>
> It read like a factual report, and in that report Savage claimed to have willfully
> and with premeditation set out to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus. *That* is a
> crime, as far as I'm concerned.

Well then I'm assuming you

Good boy.

> AIDS is transmitted primarily by sexual contact, blood transfusion
> or shared (unsterilized) needles. Influenza is a virus that is spread by breathing in
> airborne water droplets or coming into contact with surfaces that are contaminated
> with the virus

Didn't you have English class in high school?MetaphorFlu = AIDS
Savage = patient zero
Savage's behavior in story = famlinazi stereotypes of shameless gay behavior
pen = penis
meeting between Savage and Bauer = sexual encounter

> > And try to answer the question that Savage wishes all those "liberal"
> > journalists would ask gay-bashing repubes.
>
> He marginalized any legitimate questions he may have when he decided
> to intentionally infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus for political
> purposes

So queers don't get any civil rights because Savage tried to infect Bauer. _DAMN_! his
cock-sucking hide!!!!!!

> and anyone interested in addressing those questions and issues
> should address *that* first. Any further refusal to face up to the facts
> only makes matters worse.

I suppose you would have prosecuted Swift for advocating cannibalism.

-mike farris

Rob Robertson

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
maf wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:
>
> > maf wrote:

> > > As the first person to post a bit of the original article on this newsgroup (which
> > > people ignored) I feel compelled to comment.Savage's only crime was in horrendously
> > > over-estimating the critical facilities of his reading audience. Satire and
> > > metaphor. Repeat that to yourself until you understand.
> >
> > It read like a factual report, and in that report Savage claimed to have willfully
> > and with premeditation set out to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus. *That* is a
> > crime, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Well then I'm assuming you

Yes, and I'm assuming you. That's how Usenet works.

> Good boy.

> > AIDS is transmitted primarily by sexual contact, blood transfusion
> > or shared (unsterilized) needles. Influenza is a virus that is spread by breathing in
> > airborne water droplets or coming into contact with surfaces that are contaminated
> > with the virus
>

> Didn't you have English class in high school?MetaphorFlu = AIDS
> Savage = patient zero
> Savage's behavior in story = famlinazi stereotypes of shameless gay behavior
> pen = penis
> meeting between Savage and Bauer = sexual encounter

I can see the metaphor, but the story was not written *as* a metaphor;
it was an actual account of what Savage DID, and what he did was to try
to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus for political purposes.

> > > And try to answer the question that Savage wishes all those "liberal"
> > > journalists would ask gay-bashing repubes.
> >
> > He marginalized any legitimate questions he may have when he decided
> > to intentionally infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus for political

> > purposes
>
> So queers don't get any civil rights because Savage tried to infect Bauer. _DAMN_! his
> cock-sucking hide!!!!!!

Queers deserve *human* rights - end of story. But that wasn't my point;
my point was that larger issues of gay rights are subsumed by the issue
of Savage deliberately trying to infect Gary Bauer with the flu, and
the issue of gay rights is not served by his actions or his story but
are in fact *harmed* by them.

This is not a matter of gay or straight, left or right; it is a
matter of right and wrong, and what Savage did was wrong. Period.

> > and anyone interested in addressing those questions and issues
> > should address *that* first. Any further refusal to face up to the facts
> > only makes matters worse.
>

> I suppose you would have prosecuted Swift for advocating cannibalism.

_The Simpsons_ is cutting social satire in the finest tradition of Swift;
Savage's article is hateful, vengeful *trash*, and he should be denounced
for his *actions*, not for his sexual orientation.

maf

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00

Rob Robertson wrote:

> maf wrote:
> >
> > Rob Robertson wrote:
> >
> > > maf wrote:
> > > >

> > >?

> > Well then I'm assuming you
>
> Yes, and I'm assuming you. That's how Usenet works.

(sung to the tune of old ABBA song)

Assuming me, assuming you (uh huh)
There is nothing we can('t?) do ..... oh never mind.

I accidentlally "sent" before I was done editing and then was too lazy to send something
else.
Anyway, what I _meant_ was:

"I'm assuming you've read some of Savage's previous articles" (or words to that effect)

The big difference between our interpretations is I've read a lot of his stuff and to me it
was obvious he was making most of the story up. I read it as satire/fiction a hallucinatory
account of what he was thinking about, you read it as a factual, straight (if you'll pardon
the expression) account of what he really did.
I just might be wrong, but I doubt it. Now I'm sure he _thought_ about doing all those things
and they're not nice, but he himself admits he's not nice and what Ga(r)y Bauer said (about
Savage's family) wasn't nice either.

-mike farris

Rob Robertson

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
to m...@salon.com
[posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.impeach.clinton,alt.politics.liberalism,
alt.rush-limbaugh,alt.society.conservatism and emailed to Politics 2000
Portal Editor Max Garrone <m...@salon.com>]

maf wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:

<snip>

> Anyway, what I _meant_ was:
>
> "I'm assuming you've read some of Savage's previous articles" (or words to that effect)

No, I haven't, and I don't need to review the history of a particular writer
to differentiate between satire and a factual account. What I read was an angry,
spite-filled report of Dan Savage trying to sabotage Gary Bauer's campaign by
infecting him with the flu virus.

> The big difference between our interpretations is I've read a lot of his stuff and to me it
> was obvious he was making most of the story up. I read it as satire/fiction a hallucinatory
> account of what he was thinking about, you read it as a factual, straight (if you'll pardon
> the expression) account of what he really did.

I think my reading of the article is the correct one, and that seems to be
corroborated by the editors of Salon who commissioned and ran the article;

http://www.salon.com/politics2000/feature/2000/01/29/savage_reaction/index.html;

Jan. 29, 2000 | Last week Salon sent writer Dan Savage to
Iowa to cover the presidential primary caucuses. While
there, he came down with the flu. The story he filed -- a
feverish, compelling and disturbing account of how candidate
Gary Bauer's crusade against gays drove him to try to infect
Bauer with his flu -- was not what we had in mind.

[...]

We still believe publishing the article was the right choice,
but we also feel compelled to say: We didn't assign Savage
to infect Bauer. We don't condone or endorse what he says
he did.

But every day Salon prints good writing
that describes ideas, points of view, even
actions we don't endorse or condone.... Our own
staff at Salon harbors a wide range of
opinion on Savage's article and his actions
-- but we defend his right to write about them.

Statements of fact. He *did* come down with the flu, which you yourself echoed
when you said, "definitely under the influence of a mind-altering affliction"
in a prior post. Why would the editor state "We don't condone or endorse what
he says he did" if they know it to be a fictional account? I've also sent this
as an email to Politics 2000 Portal Editor Max Garrone <m...@salon.com> in the
hopes that we'll get some clarification on this point.

Was this a factual account, or was it a work of fiction?

> I just might be wrong, but I doubt it. Now I'm sure he _thought_ about doing all those things
> and they're not nice, but he himself admits he's not nice and what Ga(r)y Bauer said (about
> Savage's family) wasn't nice either.

"Two wrongs don't make a right", mike.

> -mike farris

_
Rob Robertson

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi
or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction
between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the
distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought)
no longer exist."

- Hannah Arendt, _The Origins of Totalitarianism_, p. 474

maf

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00

Rob Robertson wrote:

> Statements of fact. He *did* come down with the flu, which you yourself echoed

> when you said, "definitely under the influence of a mind-altering affliction"
> in a prior post

Exactly, I'm sure he had the flu. I never doubted that.

> . Why would the editor state "We don't condone or endorse what
> he says he did" if they know it to be a fictional account? I've also sent this
> as an email to Politics 2000 Portal Editor Max Garrone <m...@salon.com> in the
> hopes that we'll get some clarification on this point.
>
> Was this a factual account, or was it a work of fiction?

I doubt if you'll get a straight (if you'll pardon the expression) answer. For your amusement, an
excerpt from Mr. Savage's latest sex-advice column. at
http://avclub.theonion.com/savage.html

"I asserted in the column you object to that women's secretions are produced by tiny gnomes
stomping tiny champagne grapes in tiny tubs at the tippy-top of women's vaginal canals."

"If anyone else would like to share their unusual masturbation methods, please feel free to write
them down and send them to Dr. Laura Schlesinger, c/o Premiere Radio Networks (etc)"

"Questions from my gay "brothers" do not get special consideration; cocksuckers have to get in line
with everyone else. And, I'm sorry, but shoe-fuckers and bird-stuffers are more interesting than
fags too dumb to go to bookstore."

Get the picture?
Here's what I think happened:
He went to Iowa catching the flu on the way, volunteered a little in Bauer's office (which has been
very quiet about the whole experience) and didn't have enough for a story and made up a bunch of
stuff based on his sickness/mind-altering medication induced revenge fantasies and people fell for
it. If he'd labelled it "fiction" or wrote about fantasizing about licking doorknobs then it
wouldn't have been published.

> "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi
> or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction
> between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the
> distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought)
> no longer exist."

Well, you can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

-mike farris

Rob Robertson

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
maf wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:
>
> > Statements of fact. He *did* come down with the flu, which you yourself echoed
> > when you said, "definitely under the influence of a mind-altering affliction"
> > in a prior post
>
> Exactly, I'm sure he had the flu. I never doubted that.

...but you don't think he intentionally tried to infect Gary Bauer. Is that it?

> > . Why would the editor state "We don't condone or endorse what
> > he says he did" if they know it to be a fictional account? I've also sent this
> > as an email to Politics 2000 Portal Editor Max Garrone <m...@salon.com> in the
> > hopes that we'll get some clarification on this point.
> >
> > Was this a factual account, or was it a work of fiction?
>
> I doubt if you'll get a straight (if you'll pardon the expression) answer. For your amusement, an
> excerpt from Mr. Savage's latest sex-advice column. at
> http://avclub.theonion.com/savage.html
>
> "I asserted in the column you object to that women's secretions are produced by tiny gnomes
> stomping tiny champagne grapes in tiny tubs at the tippy-top of women's vaginal canals."
>
> "If anyone else would like to share their unusual masturbation methods, please feel free to write
> them down and send them to Dr. Laura Schlesinger, c/o Premiere Radio Networks (etc)"
>
> "Questions from my gay "brothers" do not get special consideration; cocksuckers have to get in line
> with everyone else. And, I'm sorry, but shoe-fuckers and bird-stuffers are more interesting than
> fags too dumb to go to bookstore."
>
> Get the picture?

Yes I do, because I know the difference between The Onion and Salon. Do you?

I *expect* articles from The Onion to be twisted, demented and satirical, and
that's just great because I know that going into it. Salon, on the other hand,
tries to present itself as a factual newsmagazine, not a satirical web e-zine.
Now, I don't put a lot of stock in something that I consider to be little more
than a DNC propaganda rag, but I expect their articles to be factual, even if
slanted, especially articles in the Politics2000 section.

Maybe I'm missing something. What in that article made you think that it was
a fictional account and not a factual one?

> Here's what I think happened:
> He went to Iowa catching the flu on the way, volunteered a little in Bauer's office (which has been
> very quiet about the whole experience) and didn't have enough for a story and made up a bunch of
> stuff based on his sickness/mind-altering medication induced revenge fantasies and people fell for
> it. If he'd labelled it "fiction" or wrote about fantasizing about licking doorknobs then it
> wouldn't have been published.

I see. So it was fiction CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS a factual report of
intentionally setting out to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus for
political purposes. I have to admit, he had me fooled because it looks
*exactly* like a factual story.

> > "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi
> > or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction
> > between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the
> > distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought)
> > no longer exist."
>
> Well, you can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

Don't stand there looking too long. Do you notice your shadow in front
of you getting shorter? Do you wonder why?

maf

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00

Rob Robertson wrote:

> I know the difference between The Onion and Salon. Do you?

Yes, one's updated weekly (at most) and the other's updated daily. I only read the Onion for Savage's
column and Pathetic Greek Stories (strangely compelling stuff).

> Maybe I'm missing something. What in that article made you think that it was
> a fictional account and not a factual one?

Not one big thing, lots of little things.I do have a general familiarity with Savage's style (if this is
the first thing someone read by him it's sounds genuine, if you're familiar with his style, it doesn't,
it's an intuition thing, like I said I might be wrong, I doubt if we'll ever know for sure).
Holes in continuity (didn't anyone in the office notice he was sick and tell him to go home? I don't
think it's easy to masquerade as healthy when you've got the flu, I've never been able to manage it).
The complete silence from the Bauer camp about this (as far as I can tell) is suspicious. A seasoned
gay-basher like Bauer would certainly not miss the opportunity for a "I told you so!! the queers are
trying to infect us all!" press-release or some sort of sanctimonious crap about "forgiving" Savage and
urging him to stop licking doorknobs (or more likely trying to stir up a movement to take Savage's and
his partner's son away).

> I have to admit, he had me fooled because it looks
> *exactly* like a factual story.

It may be, I doubt it, but it may be.
I think we can agree if he really did lick door knobs it was a scuzzy thing to do and he shouldn't do it
again. (and he shouldn't get so grossed out at the letters he gets in his sex advice column).
I think we can also agree (I hope we can) that Ga(r)y Bauer's hysterical anti-gay rhetoric is destructive
and ill-advised (though no justification for licking his doorknobs)
and if it _was_ fictional he should have made it clearer. Otherwise let's agree to keep this topic on
hold pending new information.

amike
-mike farris

Rob Robertson

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
maf wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:
>
> > I know the difference between The Onion and Salon. Do you?
>
> Yes, one's updated weekly (at most) and the other's updated daily. I only read the Onion for Savage's
> column and Pathetic Greek Stories (strangely compelling stuff).

How often they're updated is *not* the difference between The Onion and Salon.
The Onion *is* satire through-and-through, whereas Salon pretends to be serious
'journalism' - factual political reporting, opinion, commentary - and yes, the
occasional satirical piece, but not in the Politics2000 section.

> > Maybe I'm missing something. What in that article made you think that it was
> > a fictional account and not a factual one?
>
> Not one big thing, lots of little things.I do have a general familiarity with Savage's style (if this is
> the first thing someone read by him it's sounds genuine, if you're familiar with his style, it doesn't,
> it's an intuition thing, like I said I might be wrong, I doubt if we'll ever know for sure).

Ah, yes; "We may never know." That's why I CC'd Max Garrone, editor for Salon's Politics2000
section, on a prior post. Not only did Savage's story read like a factual account, the reply
by the editor in the 'savage reaction' section stated, "The story he filed -- a feverish,

compelling and disturbing account of how candidate Gary Bauer's crusade against gays drove

him to try to infect Bauer with his flu -- was not what we had in mind."

Do you think they were likewise fooled by this clever bit of satire?

> Holes in continuity (didn't anyone in the office notice he was sick and tell him to go home? I don't
> think it's easy to masquerade as healthy when you've got the flu, I've never been able to manage it).

I have. I've battled the flu, got on top of it long enough to get done what needed to get done,
and then crashed as soon as I got home. Rest, fluids, and psych myself up the next day to do it
all over again until the little viral bastards figure out they've invaded the wrong body.

I think Savage intentionally tried to infect Gary Bauer with the flu virus, and that's not nice.

Bad Savage. Bad.

> The complete silence from the Bauer camp about this (as far as I can tell) is suspicious. A seasoned
> gay-basher like Bauer would certainly not miss the opportunity for a "I told you so!! the queers are
> trying to infect us all!" press-release or some sort of sanctimonious crap about "forgiving" Savage and
> urging him to stop licking doorknobs (or more likely trying to stir up a movement to take Savage's and
> his partner's son away).

I haven't seen anything on the flu angle (beyond public outrage expressed on the 'net), but he's
got some questions to answer regarding his fraudulent voter registration in Iowa. Since you're
sure Bauer won't miss this prime gay-bashing opportunity, I'm sure you'll be along with a press
release to that effect. In the meantime;

From http://www.apbnews.com/media/mediawatch/2000/02/03/columnist0203_01.html;

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Prosecutors plan to investigate allegations of voter fraud
before deciding whether to prosecute a Seattle columnist who voted in last week's
presidential caucuses.

"Integrity of the process is always important," Polk County Attorney John Sarcone said.
"I'll look at the law, see what evidence is there and we'll go from there."

Sarcone was responding to statements made this week by the leader of Gary Bauer's Iowa
presidential campaign and the state Republican Party. GOP officials say columnist
Dan Savage, a Seattle resident who registered to vote in the Jan. 24 caucuses, should
be prosecuted.

The story unraveled in Salon.com, an online magazine where Savage chronicled his time
in Iowa posing as a volunteer for Bauer's presidential campaign. Savage said he also
voted in the caucuses, which Republican Party officials confirmed by producing his
voter registration card.

Columnist targets Bauer

In his column, Savage said his role as a political grunt was merely a ruse to
infect Bauer with the flu. Savage, who is openly gay, said he targeted Bauer
because of his stance against homosexuals.

Savage blew the whistle on himself when he explained the tale in a piece
titled "Stalking Gary Bauer."

Savage, who said he was suffering from the flu, wrote that he licked
doorknobs and coffee cups and slobbered on a pen, all in hopes of slowing
Bauer and his conservative agenda.

Sarcone will decide whether to pursue the case.

"I want to see what's on that voter registration card," Sarcone said. "I haven't
had a chance even to check and see if we need a law enforcement agency."

<end>

They didn't seem to view it as a piece of satire, either.

> > I have to admit, he had me fooled because it looks
> > *exactly* like a factual story.
>
> It may be, I doubt it, but it may be.

Okay.

> I think we can agree if he really did lick door knobs it was a scuzzy thing to do and he shouldn't do it
> again. (and he shouldn't get so grossed out at the letters he gets in his sex advice column).
> I think we can also agree (I hope we can) that Ga(r)y Bauer's hysterical anti-gay rhetoric is destructive
> and ill-advised (though no justification for licking his doorknobs)
> and if it _was_ fictional he should have made it clearer. Otherwise let's agree to keep this topic on
> hold pending new information.

Well, that's been my point all along, mike. I don't think there should be special protections for
gays because I think there should be equal protection for all *people* regardless of their sexual
orientation. Given that, I don't think Bauer's 'gay-bashing' is justification for someone to try
to intentionally infect him with the flu virus. Wrong is wrong, as simple as that.

Savage can write all kinds of flaming satire in The Onion. That's fine. He can speak out loud and
clear against what he sees as 'gay-bashing', and he can vote for the candidate the he believes will
serve the cause of *justice* ---

...and at this point I'd like to mention that the Libertarian Party seems to be the obvious choice.

Go to http://www.lp.org/, and if gay issues are your priority, then maybe Larry Hines is your guy;

http://www.gaywired.com/larryhinesin2000/, though personally I'm going to write in the *honorable*
U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, a true champion of freedom in America, on election day;

Homepage of the Honorable Rep. Ron Paul;
http://www.house.gov/paul/openingpage.htm

Then go to http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ronpaul/petition-sign.html
and sign the petition.

Dr. Ron Paul of Surfside, TX.

Our purpose is simple, our goal will take much planning -- to draft sitting
U.S. Representative Ron Paul of Texas, a reform and liberty-minded constitutionalist,
to run for President in 2000.

For more information please visit our Grassroots Committee to Draft Ron Paul for
President of the United States of America in 2000, visit:

http://www.majority.com

The undersigned people of the United States of America do hereby endorse and draft
the honorable Dr. Ron Paul for President of the United States of America in 2000.

- but back to the topic in question (I *had* to plug the LP somewhere in the thread!),
I guess we'll just have to agree that we read the article differently, and let it play
out from here.

Take care, and be well.