Comoy lines

Robert Michael Alexander / T.D.C.

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
You like Dublin shaped?
I do!
Belief does not change Fact.
-Robert Alexander

Robert Michael Alexander / T.D.C.

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Speaking of youth, I tried a pipe several times before now, from
corncob wich I smoked because I didn't care what it tasted as much as
getting experience... to some ?? briars, some I threw out because the
taste got bad.. never cleaned them and rarely finished a bowl..
>On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 01:22:22 -0700, Ronald S. Ipock <smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>R.M.A.@pdq.net (Robert Michael Alexander / T.D.C.) wrote:
It was me going through some old stuff and finding it in the barn
when I started to smoke one again and get some advice.. I tossed it
back in a box because it smelled MUSTY and Algae-like
Maybe I ought to go take a look at it since I know a little about
pipes... it may be in line for a SALT treatment.
>>Aesthetically I do, but the only dublin I've ever owned was a bad
>>pipe. It was a Jobey and I actually threw it away! Oh the folly of
>>youth! I'm a no-hands smoker and the angle of dublin bowl when
>>dangling from my mouth spills the tobacco and the fire-hot cherries.
>>But if I ever had the chance to own a Comoy dublin, I wouldn't
>>hesitate.

Latakia taste so fine
makes me wanna grind
how bout a bowl or two
it can be good for you
[Empty]

Ronald S. Ipock

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the lines of pipes
that Comoy ever made. Could everyone please just list all the lines
that you've ever heard of. Any other Comoy information would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Ipock

Jim Beard

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
On 30 Oct 1999, Ronald S. Ipock <smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote ...

Herewith a post from Gregory Pease that Steve Smith collected and sent on
to me, along with the descriptions of Comoys that are in or have passed
through my collection.

Cheers!

j...@blckhrse.clark.net
UNIX is not user-unfriendly. It merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.

**--- Included file [COMOYS.TXT] starts here ---**

Thus spake Uncle Al <uncl...@pdnt.com>:

>Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of a source of Comoy nomenclature information on the
>web? I recently picked up a beautiful bulldog "estate" and would like
>to get more informaion on it and a few others I have on hold. Not that I
>really need to know anything other than that it smokes GREAT.

Yet another great post from Greg Pease, which I took the liberty of
copying to my archive. Hope it helps:
Though exact dating of older Comoy pipes is not an area of expertise
for me, the examples of these which I have seen (and the two that I
own) were all made in the early fifties at the latest, more likely
inthe forties. Of all the Comoys I've owned, and I've owned a lot of
them, the old Grand Slams smoke the best for me, followed by the
London Prides and Sandblasts, then Traditions and Blue Ribands.
Though the pipe has little monetary value, it's value as a great
smoke is hard to beat. Every old Grand Slam I've had has been
wonderfully rich, cool smoking and complex, with or without weird
plumbing for which the patent was applied.

The "Made in England" circle stamp is older than the "Made in London"
circle underlined with "England". Older still is "London Made". On
very old pipes, such as a couple I have from the teens and twenties,
you'll find "COMOY'S" (with the apostrophe), whereas pipes made in the
30's of 40's (don't have a large enough sample group to figure this
one out) are stamped "COMOYS" (no apostrophe). Also, on the very old
pipes, "Comoy's" was stamped in a semi-circle, or on one example I
have, in *script*. (That one has a silver band. The hallmark
indicates it to be a 1910.)

Sometime, perhaps in the 1970's, Comoy produced a "De Luxe" which
resembles an old De Luxe in everyway, except the apostrophe and the
"Made in London, England" stamping.

Steve Smith

^
~~ ~~ ^
@ ~ @~~ ^
^
\/ ^
~~ ~~ ^
<>-------0
\/

-A portrait of the pipe smoker as a young man-

"taking up a glowing cinder with the tongs and lighting with it the
long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was
in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood" -- Dr. John H. Watson

**----------- Included file [COMOYS.TXT] ends here ----------**

31. Everyman sandblast bent
The EVERYMAN London Pipe Made in England by Comoy's 214; short, long, and
short white lines stacked on left side of mouthpiece adjacent to shank,
running along long axis of mouthpiece. End of mouthpiece ragged. (Replaced
by Maryann July 1997.) Bowl inside diameter 13/16 in. depth 1 5/8 in.
Comoy second. First-tier bent.

38. Comoy bulldog straight
Lower right of diamond shank bears markings Comoy's Sandblast, Made in
London, England, 5 (digit at lower left corner). Logo C on mouthpiece.
Bowl inside diameter 13/16 inch, depth 1.5 inch. First-tier straight.
Superb piece of briar.

xx. Comoys Royal
On left shank, Royal and below that Comoys. On right shank Made in England
with Made and England forming a circle containing the in and to the right
131. Scratched under the shank, 3-19-38 PLAINFIELD (LD indistinct)
Bowl inside diameter 11/16 inch, depth 1 5/16 inch.
One of 37 pipes swapped to John B. Hayes on 6 April 1998 for two Upshalls.

xx. Everyman Smooth
On left shank, on three lines, The, Everyman, London Pipe. On right shank
Made in England with Made and England forming a circle containing the in
and to the right 47. Mouthpiece bears three horizontal bars adjacent to
shank (top and bottom short, middle about twice as long).
Bowl inside diameter 11/16 inch, depth 1 3/8 inch.
One of 37 pipes swapped to John B. Hayes on 6 April 1998 for two Upshalls.

56. Comoy Quarter-Bent Bulldog.
On top left of shank, Comoy's Blue Riband; on right, Made in London,
England 409. Letters of Made and London form a circle surrounding the
word "in." England below that. 409 to right. Mouthpiece has Comoy C
logo. Smooth finish. Bowl inside diameter a generous 13/16 inch or scant
7/8 inch, depth 1 1/4 in. First-tier bent.

xx. Comoy straight
Under bowl: Comoy's Sandblast, under shank: Made in London, England, 484.
Bowl inside diameter 13/16 inch, depth 1 9/16 inch. Marvellous piece of
wood. First-tier straight.
Sold to Todd Bezenek 980328 for USD 30.

85. Comoy bent
Acquired 28 March 1998 from "The Europeans" (Christian Deschamps) for USD
10, Comoy's on left of shank; on right, the number 13 and near the
mouthpiece Made in London (circled, word in in the circle) and under that
England. The C on the mouthpiece left looks like the left half of a
slightly bottom-heavy O (oh) or 0 (but no slash). Bowl inside diameter a
scant 3/4 inch, depth 1 9/16 inch. Smooth finish.

93. (Comoy) Selected Straight Grain
On left of shank, Selected (arced), Straight, Grain. On right of shank,
Made in London, with the in encircled by the Made and London, above
England, and model number 210. On short mouthpiece top, next to shank, an
oval like that of the GBD mark was distinguishable (barely) but the
letters were not. Ident as a Comoy based on the Made in London, England,
marking. Under strong sunlight, four tiny fills on the bowl may be found.
Bowl inside diameter 3/4 inch, depth 1 1/2 inch.

111. Comoy pebble grain
Acquired 5 December 1998 from "The Europeans" (Christian Deschamps). Swap
for a 24-pipe rack (rectangular, 12 down each side) and a can of
McClelland's Mixture 14. Under shank, Comoy's over Pebble Grain, to the
right Made in London over England, shape 42. Bent billiard. Mouthpiece
has white C on smoker's left. Bowl inside diameter 3/4 inch, depth 1 5/8
inch. May have to call this one a first-tier bent.

Terry McGinty

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Ron,

Here's one not mentioned by Steve in Jim's post.

COMOY’S GOLDEN GRAIN - purchased new on February 2nd, 1975 from Sebastian’s
Tobacco Shoppe at 28972 Orchard Lake Rd., Farmington, Mi. - 48024. I paid
$25 for this pipe, and it has always been an excellent smoke. The shape is
what would be called an APPLE with a straight stem. The size is about
medium but it is on the sturdy side rather than delicate. It has an
especially nice birdseye grain on both sides with a tight cross grain on the
front and back of the bowl. On the left side is stamped “COMOY’S “ and just
below, “ GOLDEN GRAIN” stamped slightly smaller. To the right of the circle
is stamped the number 334, which I believe is the shape number. On the
right side of the shank, it is stamped close to the stem, “MADE IN LONDON”
in a circle. Below the circle is stamped, “ENGLAND” in a straight
horizontal line.

Ronald S. Ipock wrote in message ...

>I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the lines of pipes
>that Comoy ever made. Could everyone please just list all the lines
>that you've ever heard of. Any other Comoy information would be
>appreciated.
>

>Thanks,
>Ron Ipock

Cgeedee

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Hi Ron,

Dumped your e-mail address. I havea few files that I would drop off concerning
Comoy's pipes. They are in a microsoft format that compuserve will not let me
cut and past and I'm to lazy to convert it to text and reformat the columns.

So, leave me your e-mail address again.

chas.

Cgeedee

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Not to mention Comoy's Blue Riband, which I am lucky enough to have in my
fingers at this moment. A very light weight dublin 202, walnut straight-grain,
all around.

Arguably, the most collectible of Comoy's current production pipes. The
arguement is not in the quality, but, in the scarcity. It is said that they
only produce 10-12 pipes of this grade each year. If so, how come there are so
many around? Are they all in the US? Are they all on eBay? .... ;-)

chas.

Ronald S. Ipock

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
cge...@cs.com (Cgeedee) wrote:

thanks. I do appreciate any info. the address is
smon...@ix.netcom.com. The Blue Riband is a beauty. I almost got
one for my birthday, but my wife got me a new recliner instead.

smoking a Comoy Spectrum full-bent with Pirate Kake,

Ron

Ronald S. Ipock

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

Antti Kalliokoski

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:38:43 -0700, Ronald S. Ipock
<smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the lines of pipes
>that Comoy ever made. Could everyone please just list all the lines
>that you've ever heard of. Any other Comoy information would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron Ipock

Hi Ron and other Comoy owners,
Sorry, no list at all from me, only one bent sb. billiard with
semitransparent lucite bit (Cumberland type?). Under shank is: COMOY'S
SILVER CLOUD. There is also the MADE IN LONDON in circle and under it
ENGLAND. Under the England there is an "F" or "E", hard to say because
the sb. area reaches very near to the letter. There is still "42",
which must be the shape code. I think this "Silver Cloud" series is
from the cheaper end of their production. Could anyone perhaps
enlighten me about this pipe, which is my only one from Comoy's?
It is a rather good smoker, though.

Mellow puffs and dry ashes!
-- Antti
<http://www.uta.fi/~hoanka/pipe.htm>

Robert Crim

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

And don't forget the "Royal" line. It stopped in the '50s when the
Blue Riband came in.

Robert

Sheldon Richman

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
I have a Comoy Wembley bent bulldog.

Sheldon

McClelland Dark Star in a Prince of Wales carved straight bulldog.

Lance Sang

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Ron,
I have an Oom Paul that has the following markings:

Right side: circular Made in London, over ENGLAND, and the shape 256.
Left side: COMOY'S over BLUE RIBAND over EXTRAORDINAIRE

Hope this is useful.
Lance

Ronald S. Ipock <smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Ronald S. Ipock

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
"Lance Sang" <san...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Ron,
>I have an Oom Paul that has the following markings:
>
>Right side: circular Made in London, over ENGLAND, and the shape 256.
>Left side: COMOY'S over BLUE RIBAND over EXTRAORDINAIRE
>
>Hope this is useful.
>Lance

Thank you. It is very useful except for the fact that it makes me
sinfully covetous

Gregory Pease

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
In article <30347431...@blckhrse.clark.net> , "Jim Beard"
<j...@blckhrse.clark.net> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 1999, Ronald S. Ipock <smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote ...
>> I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the lines of pipes
>> that Comoy ever made. Could everyone please just list all the lines
>> that you've ever heard of. Any other Comoy information would be
>> appreciated.
>
> Herewith a post from Gregory Pease that Steve Smith collected and sent on
> to me, along with the descriptions of Comoys that are in or have passed
> through my collection.

Just for fun, here's a repost of some dating information I put together
later than the article you quoted. It's got a bit more meat, but still isn't
much to chew on. I've had a chance sine then to gather a little more
verification of some of the eras' stampings, but it's still not a lot to go
on.

==========

I've finally started to put together some information on Comoy dating, and
though this is going to be a long project, and there's lots more research to
do, I thought I'd share what I have with the group, and solicit any
additional information which must exist out there in Cyberia.

There are a few things which seem to allow the Comoy collector to get an
idea of the vintage of a particular piece. The lettering style and the
stamping of the country of origin are the most obvious things to consider.

I am fortunate to have a few pieces with original hallmarked silver bands
that helped to put this somewhat sketchy information together. I'll have to
describe the stampings, so bear with me.

The oldest I have verified, dates a pipe to the teens and before. The
stamping reads, "Comoy's" in script, with "LONDON MADE" in block letters
beneath. I have a pipe from 1916 with this style of stamping.

This is followed, in the twenties through at least 1938 with, "COMOY'S," all
upper case serif type, with the "C" larger than the rest, printed with a
slight curve. The origin stamp is "LONDON" over "MADE," in a sort of
football shape. The grade of the pipe is stamped in block letters under
the "COMOY'S" stamp.

The third period, running through the early 40's or so, has the same
"COMOY'S" stamp and grade, with the country of origin changing to the
circular "MADE IN ENGLAND," the word "IN" in the center of the circle formed
by the words "MADE" and "ENGLAND."

It gets murky, here. Later in the 40's, the fancier "COMOY'S" stamp was
replaced with a sans serif, block lettered "COMOYS," with no apostrophe,
while the country of origin stamp remained the same. I'll have to track
down the patent dates on these pipes to get a closer idea of the date.

In the early 50's, the sans serif "COMOY'S" was stamped, with the
apostrophe, and the country of origin stamp changed to "MADE IN LONDON" in a
similar circle, with "ENGLAND" underneath in a straight line.

Sometime in the 60's, it appears, the serifs were returned to the "COMOY'S"
lettering, though the typeface is not quite as fancy as the earlier one.

It seems that some grades carried different stamps, or at least that the
stamping changed in different years for some grades. Again, my samples are
too small to verify this, so it's just a speculation at this point.

This should be enough information to, at least, get pretty close to the
decade of an old Comoy. I have no interest in anything made later, so have
never looked at them very closely. I do know that at some point, the "C" on
the stem, which had previously been fabricated into the stem, was painted
on. This, I believe, indicates a Cadogan era pipe, when GBD, Comoy, Orlik
and Loewe all, in my opinion, went to hell on a sled.

I'll continue in my search for Comoy Truth, and post any new information
when I can verify it. I hope this is of interest to some of the many fans
of old Comoys out there, and would really enjoy hearing any additional
information. Some day, I hope to be able to find dates of introduction of
many of the various grades. If you have old Comoy's and would like to help
me in this research, drop me a line with a description of the stampings,
the grade of the pipe, and anything you know about its origin, and I'll add
this to my files.

When time permits, I'll get all the stampings on line in some form so they
can actually be viewed...but only AFTER the F&P website is on-line...

Regards,
Gregory

--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth
is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Marsha Mong

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Ron,..........I have an old Comoy Grand Slam...originally w/ a
filter...dennis
Lance Sang wrote in message <7vhsih$7cg$1...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>Ron,
>I have an Oom Paul that has the following markings:
>
>Right side: circular Made in London, over ENGLAND, and the shape 256.
>Left side: COMOY'S over BLUE RIBAND over EXTRAORDINAIRE
>
>Hope this is useful.
>Lance
>
>Ronald S. Ipock <smon...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the lines of pipes
>> that Comoy ever made. Could everyone please just list all the lines
>> that you've ever heard of. Any other Comoy information would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ron Ipock

Cgeedee

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
There is also a Comoy with a scrimshaw inlay (real?) that is now on eBay.

chas.

Keith Beardsley

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99

I also have several Comoy's. My best smoker is a Tradition straight
billiard with a similar Grand Slam following a close second.

By far though the best I have is a Chapus Comoy brass banded Dynastie
model that not only looks great, but is a fantasic smoker.

--
Keith Beardsley, Ottawa, Canada (ham radio VE3SVQ)
"The Opposition cleans and purifies those in power, we are the