Caminetto pipe nomenclature

Terry Freeman

Mar 14, 2001, 12:06:12 PM3/14/01

OK, I haven't been able to find anything on the 'net, so I appeal to
those of you who are left here and who haven't killfiled me :)

Can anyone tell me about Caminetto nomenclature? I have a gorgeous
red squat bulldog marked 0•L•14 but I can't make heads or tails of
what that may mean...

FWIW, I've got it loaded with Rattray's "Jock's Mixture" and am ready
to light 'er up as soon as the tea is ready. Mmmm...Gao Shan Mei Ren
Oolong...

Reg'ds,

Terry

--
Every nonzero finite dimensional inner product space has an orthonormal basis.

It makes sense, when you don't think about it.

flatulent1

Mar 14, 2001, 3:08:42 PM3/14/01
Send it to me. I'll decifer the markings and send it back to you in a
few years, my pleasure.

fred

snufkin

Mar 14, 2001, 5:14:33 PM3/14/01
Maybe I remember reading something about this in Hacker's Ultimate Pipe Book
?

Possibly not - I have the memory of a fish. If I remember (ha) I'll have a
look when I get home, if you don't have a copy.

snufkin

"Terry Freeman" <absi...@teleport.com> wrote in message

> OK, I haven't been able to find anything on the 'net, so I appeal to
> those of you who are left here and who haven't killfiled me :)
>
> Can anyone tell me about Caminetto nomenclature? I have a gorgeous

> red squat bulldog marked 0.L.14 but I can't make heads or tails of

Bruce Harris

Mar 14, 2001, 8:28:27 PM3/14/01
I had a similar question a few weeks back. Jimmy Hankins suggested I contact
Antonio Pinter (pinternet on ebay). Antonio was kind enough to respond as
follows:

Hi Antonio,
> Jimmy Hankins in the USA suggested I write to you. I just picked up a new
> Caminetto. The stampings on the pipe are 54, 6, 2, 01 (arranged in the
four
> quadrants of a cross). Do you know the meaning of these numbers? Does
> Caminetto still use the "cross" system of stampings?
> Thank you very much for your help. I own a couple of the older production
> Caminettos (including a nice Super Moustache), but this is my first
Caminetto
> of the newer production. It is light as a feather and a beautiful pipe. I
> haven't smoked it yet. I think I am going to break it in with some
Caminetto
> tobacco.
> Bruce Harris
> USA

Hi Bruce,

the quadrant is no longer in use but the basics of grading are always the
same.

54 should be the shape #
6 is the finish (I guess your pipe is blasted or maybe rustic)
2 the serie (2 was the serie of classic shapes)
01 is first year of the new caminetto = 1986

Caminettos were great pipes in the old days, and still are some of the best
in Italy, in my opinion.

I did not ever try Caminetto tobacco. I guess it is lightly flavored, upon
some reviews I've read.

Say hello to Jimmy!