AD/ANN: ASP Castello Project - whats wrong?

RC Hamlin

Oct 24, 2006, 1:08:46 AM10/24/06
Okay ASP, what's wrong with the ASP Castello project that seems to be going
bust rather than boom?

At this point, after a week or so online we have 3 pipes reserved from the
first day (Oct 17th), but nothing else. I understand that there are not 200
pieces being offered to select from and I understand that the line is not
being offered at 50% off suggested retail, but we have included most of the
"good" shapes that you said you wanted as there are several 33's, 55's and a
#10 available, yet not taken. 1450+ page views to date and I know I've
quoted a lot of prices, yet very little action.

Looking at the history of NASPC Pipes
http://www.naspc.org/NASPC_Pipe_History.html the smallest number ordered
was 21 pipes and the most 66 with an average of over 30 for every edition -
nor are NASPC offers at give away prices - as well they shouldn't be....

Please understand that what I'm asking here is what is it you need to insure
this project is a success? So far it seems I've missed something and I'm
just trying to correct that problem.

Thoughts and comments are welcome !

-Bob

http://www.castellousa.com/asp_castello.htm

http://www.castellousa.com/asp_faq.htm

Group 4

Oct 24, 2006, 1:16:48 AM10/24/06
Hey Bob. I guess I'm a little confused. I thought that we were going
with an ASP pipe in a single shape. It appears to me that there are two
seperate ASP pipe projects going on now: The Castello project and this
other one with shape voting now going on. I'm a little confused and
tend towards dragging my feet on these things... and I apologize.

apipeguy

Oct 24, 2006, 3:12:23 AM10/24/06
RC: this is the "belge" discussion that was voted on recently? that was
quick if it was. List the prices!

RC Hamlin

Oct 24, 2006, 5:18:47 AM10/24/06
Nope, not the same thing....I guess timing is everything and it gets
confusing after a while - at least for us old guys :)

If you read the FAQ on the ASP Castello site, you'll see why prices are not
listed - but I'll be happy to quote those that you are interested in by
email no problem

-Bob

"apipeguy" <apip...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

RC Hamlin

Oct 24, 2006, 5:16:05 AM10/24/06
Just use the links I listed and you'll get a run down of the ASP Castello
project, or a Google search will take you back to when it was first talked
about last August. There are 51 different Castello Pipes to choose from
online - again use the links for more information.

-Bob

"Group 4" <agsilv...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Scott Curtis

Oct 24, 2006, 7:30:08 AM10/24/06
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:08:46 -0400, "RC Hamlin" <r...@pipeguy.com>
wrote:

I don't think you had that much interest in the first place. Most of
the post I read in your feeler thread said we either already have a
POY plan in place or they didn't want to spend the money on the
Castellos. There were maybe 5 or 6 people who said they would do it.

CS

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 24, 2006, 8:13:21 AM10/24/06
Scott Curtis schreef:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:08:46 -0400, "RC Hamlin" <r...@pipeguy.com> wrote:

>> Thoughts and comments are welcome !

>>http://www.castellousa.com/asp_castello.htm
>>
>>http://www.castellousa.com/asp_faq.htm

Maybe "Castello" isn't Rad Davis, Mark Tinky, Joel Shapiro or Sinan Altinok.
Castello doesn't really post here on ASP, and ASP would only like to buy
from ASP?

Good grief, I'm only guessing here ...

> I don't think you had that much interest in the first place. Most of the
> post I read in your feeler thread said we either already have a POY plan
> in place or they didn't want to spend the money on the Castellos.

I agree that there wasn't all that much interest in it in the first place.
What might be conflicting is the two runs of an ASP POY run, with the
"traditional" one getting the most interest -- the belge vs poker thing
probably contributed greatly to this. Heck, mr Curtis, I am sure you could
find a pretty fine specimen of a poker among the Castellos listed.

Personally, I don't see why we couldn't have two versions of a POY. If there
is absolutely no interest from anybody else, then that just is what it is.
If it is a boycot of some sort, I'd like to know more about this as well.

> There were maybe 5 or 6 people who said they would do it.

5 or 6, and only 3 who are actually putting their money where their mouth
is. What's up with that?

Sincerely yours,

--
Corneel Vermeulen corneel....@gmail.com http://pipelore.net/
"I am #1 !!"

Message has been deleted

Jeff H.

Oct 24, 2006, 8:23:59 AM10/24/06
wrote:

>Okay ASP, what's wrong with the ASP Castello project that seems to be going

I made a couple of inquiries and for me, it's all about the money.
I don't have really deep pockets so the purchase must have good value
for me to justify it. The pipe that I really liked came in at just
under a grand. I can have MT or Rad make me one for a third of that
and I know that I'll love it. I'm not a collector that's worried about
resale someday, as I don't part with any of my pipes. Again, I'm only
speaking for myself here. I do appreciate the effort and if I hit the
Lotto tonight, I'll be ordering several!
Jeff

Scott Curtis

Oct 24, 2006, 8:27:41 AM10/24/06
On 24 Oct 2006 12:13:21 GMT, Corneel Vermeulen
<corneel....@gmail.com> wrote:

My personal feelings are that I'd like my POY to be from someone who
contributes to the group. I don't think everyone feels that way. The
belge vs poker was all in good fun. I didn't really think the poker
shape had any chance of getting in the running. If it pissed you off
then I'm sorry but you campaigned pretty hard for the belge so I did
the same with the poker. I had hoped you would join in and have some
fun with it. I have my own reasons for not wanting to get into the
Castello group buy (2 teenagers). It's not a boycott from my end. I do
think it's a little funny that Bob didn't contribute to the group for
several years then started trying to organize a group buy just days
after he returned. But again, that's just me. As to only 3 people
putting up the actual money for the pipes; that's the way it's always
been for these kind of things. Look how long it took to get the first
round of ASP lighters ordered this year.

CS

Trever Talbert

Oct 24, 2006, 9:33:07 AM10/24/06

Corneel Vermeulen wrote:

> > There were maybe 5 or 6 people who said they would do it.
>
> 5 or 6, and only 3 who are actually putting their money where their mouth
> is. What's up with that?

That's actually pretty normal for any sort of group buy, Corneel.
Having done several such group/club pipes in the past, I speak from
experience. It's like booking airline tickets - if you get 20
requests, expect about 12-14 actual sales. The rest will usually back
out for surprise money reasons, change their minds, or just totally
vanish. Way o' the world, unfortunately.
TT

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 24, 2006, 9:35:23 AM10/24/06
Scott Curtis schreef:

> My personal feelings are that I'd like my POY to be from someone who
> contributes to the group. I don't think everyone feels that way.

Most do.

> The belge vs poker was all in good fun. I didn't really think the poker
> shape had any chance of getting in the running.

I didn't think it stood a chance at all, really. Just goes to show that you
may have missed a carreer in marketing ;-)

> If it pissed you off then I'm sorry but you campaigned pretty hard for the
> belge so I did the same with the poker.

What makes you think I am pissed off?

I didn't campaign for the belge. I was pretty much surprised to see it
mentioned 5 times (or thereabouts) before I got involved. The campaign has
been done for me, really. I would have mentioned and proposed it as my
prefered shape anyway, but before reading the posts already mentioning the
shape I didn't think it would stand a chance either.

All I did was answer questions that were asked.

For instance, that article was something that has been in a drawer for
months. I thought I could finish it off in my own time, but the increasing
number of questions about this shape made me finish it off. Took me an
entire afternoon's work of typing, and I am still not entirely satisfied
with it. But that's something personal, I'll continue to work on that
article as I find more.

I was, however, startled by the reactions I got. The day I published that
article all records on my site were broken, as far as hits and such are
concerned, in a few hours time.

> I had hoped you would join in and have some fun with it.

I decided against that. I provided the information in the form of the
article. Personally, I didn't feel like it was a belge vs poker match, but
rather a democratic decision for this year's most prefered shape. For me
everybody who wanted a bulldog or billiard could state so as well, there are
more than 2 pipe shapes after all.

When someone points out that a poker can be had any day, anytime, where a
belge is a rare shape and this might be a rare chance to buy one, I can only
agree.

For me personally, I would prefer it if more carvers took notice of the
belge and started making them again. Just so it could be seen and found
again. Rad is doing a great job now (and I actually purchased one of his
last week, I hope it will arrive here shortly), and if Joel, Mark and Sinan
would take up on it, I'd say all the better.

I'd probably buy one, with or without the ASP POY stamp/connection. I know,
I'm horrible, but then again, I collect the shape, so why not? I will not
buy a poker, though. POY or no POY <g>

> I have my own reasons for not wanting to get into the Castello group buy
> (2 teenagers).

It probably is a money issue for more ASPers, but not for all of us. There
must be more than 3 people interested in a good price on a Castello?

> It's not a boycott from my end. I do think it's a little funny that Bob
> didn't contribute to the group for several years then started trying to
> organize a group buy just days after he returned.

Bob returned a little before that. Actually, his first post back here on ASP
ended up as one of the Classic Posts (
http://www.aspipes.org/posts/20060516.html ). Faut le faire.

> But again, that's just me. As to only 3 people putting up the actual money
> for the pipes; that's the way it's always been for these kind of things.
> Look how long it took to get the first round of ASP lighters ordered this
> year.

Aw come on, a real Castello, straight from the factory at a considerable
discount? Why not take advantage of the opportunity if you can?

I still am #1 ;-)

Cheers,

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 24, 2006, 10:02:57 AM10/24/06
Trever Talbert schreef:

> Corneel Vermeulen wrote:
>> > There were maybe 5 or 6 people who said they would do it.
>>
>> 5 or 6, and only 3 who are actually putting their money where their mouth
>> is. What's up with that?
>
> That's actually pretty normal for any sort of group buy, Corneel.
[...]

> Way o' the world, unfortunately. TT

I sort of expected that in general. But I still find it odd in this case ...
It didn't really look like an average group buy. Doesn't matter, I'm still
#1.

Thanks ;-)

Brian Scott

Oct 24, 2006, 10:07:42 AM10/24/06
RC Hamlin wrote:

Price has been the biggest drawback for me thus far, Bob. I should be
fair and say perceived price as I am not going to bother to email for a
quote. If prices were on the page to begin with and one was actually
within my range, then I might pull the trigger on it. Of course, I was
one of the folks that said Castello's were out of my range anyway in the
beginning when you started this thing, especially considering I can get
Tinsky for around the same price or less.

One last consideration is the time of year. Christmas is fast
approaching and some people may not have it in their budget for a new,
expensive pipe. I would imagine summer is your best bet.

--
Cheers,
Brian Scott

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=292

mariop...@comcast.net

Oct 24, 2006, 10:35:37 AM10/24/06
Hi Bob, and ASPer's all,
Having bought 1 of the 3, I am actually considering another!! Alas,
that is not the issue. I think that perhaps letting other groups know
about the ASP pipe might be worth the trouble. For example I have
several of the German DAFT pipes,but I don't participate in their
newsgroup per se. I wonder if you posted there and perhaps "Jeff
Folloders" chat group etc..., there might be some interest. I know that
"some" folks there might not read asp regularly but tend to be
collectors.....so the logic goes that some in these other groups might
like a Castello ASP pipe..

On a personal level, I love the pipe I ordered. I HOPE it will be an
ASP pipe. I just want all here to know that if we do not meet the 20
minimum for the project...that would be sad.BUT I STILL WANT THAT PIPE
either way!!

FWIW, and this is only my opinion, I am not in agreement that Bob is
here just for some financial gain or whatever.....this thinking is pure
bullshit. Bob Hamlin has done so much for this hobby of ours its
staggering. Some in this group need to know at least a little about him
before questioning his motives. Will he make some money from the
project?...OF COURSE!! so does everyone else that ever sells anything
like this.He is going to a lot of trouble to offer us something rather
unique...at least as far as Castello goes.
\\
Rather, I see his attempt to provide a product to ASP that he thinks
might be of some interest as a sign of good will.

My .03

Mario Persico

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ben R.

Oct 24, 2006, 11:12:30 AM10/24/06
So much for my idea of having Baldo Baldi create ASP's 2007 POY. :-P

Dusty Miller

Oct 24, 2006, 11:13:46 AM10/24/06
I'm new here so you will excuse me if I ask "Whose on first?"

Dusty

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 24, 2006, 11:15:32 AM10/24/06
Hello,

mariop...@comcast.net schreef:

> Having bought 1 of the 3,

No, you haven't. _I_ got 1, you either got 2 or 3 <g>

> I think that perhaps letting other groups know about the ASP pipe might be
> worth the trouble.

You might be on to something there.

> On a personal level, I love the pipe I ordered. I HOPE it will be an
> ASP pipe. I just want all here to know that if we do not meet the 20
> minimum for the project...that would be sad.BUT I STILL WANT THAT PIPE
> either way!!

As things are standing now, I am getting a pretty pipe for a pretty price.
It will be up to ASP to decide whether it will get a stamp bearing its name
or not.

I snipped everything else, because I don't like "me too" and "I agree"
posts.

> My .03

And this is my .03 e

Todd R. Jerabek

Oct 24, 2006, 11:16:17 AM10/24/06
Having read all the posts to date, I figured I'd better chime in. I made an
inquiry about price and stats on a pipe. There were two issues that kept me
from pulling the trigger. 1 - It was too heavy. 2 - Price.

Also, having just visited the site again, I found 17 pipes to select from,
although Bob, you mention there are 51??? Hmmm.

I am limited in budget, I have a couple Castellos in my collection - all
estate pipes that I got very reasonably. For me to purchase one new, it
would have to be above and beyond, a pipe that WOWed the socks off of me.
And then, it would still have to be in my price range.

Todd

--
Rev. Todd R. Jerabek
Pastor - Zion & St. Peter Lutheran Churches

Alan Dye

Oct 24, 2006, 11:16:44 AM10/24/06
I'm in with Jeff here.

I checked out the price of Castello's on the web from various internet
vendors. Prices range from $300-$700+. Assuming the 'net discount' puts
them in this range, they're well out of my price range. And, I guess if I'm
going to spend that much, I'll buy a Dunhill since I know the label better
than Castello. Additionally, since they aren't limited editions, but simply
Castello's regular line only stamped with ASP POY 2006, there isn't much
incremental value for me in purchasing one of these over purchasing a stock
model from another online vendor. I'd also like to purchase from a carver on
ASP as well.

To summarize, the price is too high, the product isn't exclusive to ASP, the
label isn't as well known as others in that price range, and it isn't a
local (ASP) carver.

FWIW,

Alan

"Jeff H." <jh...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 24, 2006, 11:18:30 AM10/24/06
Dusty Miller schreef:

> I'm new here so you will excuse me if I ask "Whose on first?"

I'm not sure I understand your question?

Help me out here, please ...

Ben R.

Oct 24, 2006, 12:07:28 PM10/24/06
Corneel,

His comments refers to a comedy bit from yesteryear from Bud Abbott and
Lou Costello:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

Warren F

Oct 24, 2006, 2:26:39 PM10/24/06

On Oct 24, 12:08 am, "RC Hamlin" <r...@pipeguy.com> wrote:
> Okay ASP, what's wrong with the ASP Castello project that seems to be going
> bust rather than boom?

I think the others nailed the main points. You're relatively unknown
to most of us on ASP. Prior to wanting to sell this Castello ASP pipe
project, you posted about 10 times in the past year. Not exactly a
regular participant.

And, as was pointed out by myself and others, most of us are not buyers
for $300+ pipes. You decided to press ahead anyhow, contrary to most
of the advise you received. When I asked you why you were going with
Castello and not a more affordable brand, you replied with the
following:

>Warren:
>
>There have been various ASP pipe projects over years and NASPC today runs an
>annual club pipe.
>http://www.naspc.org/NASPC_Pipe_History.html

>I have a 22 year personal relationship with the Castello factory and I am
>asking for ideas on offering a "Castello Project". I'm sure there are many
>pipe makers and pipe dealers that would be willing to provide an ASP Club
>pipe from various other sources, at various price points.

>-RCH

So, I would suggest that it is you who came to us with a "Castello
Project" to sell, rather than those of us on ASP who were asking for
one.

JtN©

Oct 24, 2006, 4:11:06 PM10/24/06
I looked... I aint gonna buy ... not because of cost or anything like
that.

I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
protected.

Sorry ... you get no support from me at all but I did look so now you
can add another to the pade view count.

JtN ©2006

Scott Curtis

Oct 24, 2006, 5:14:04 PM10/24/06
On 24 Oct 2006 13:11:06 -0700, "JtN©" <jim_the...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I looked... I aint gonna buy ... not because of cost or anything like
>that.
>
>I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
>what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
>life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
>used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
>block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
>protected.
>
>Sorry ... you get no support from me at all but I did look so now you
>can add another to the pade view count.
>
>JtN ©2006

I didn't even look.

CS

JtN©

Oct 24, 2006, 5:17:23 PM10/24/06
You didnt miss much.

JtN ©2006

Jimmy Muraco

Oct 24, 2006, 7:10:47 PM10/24/06
I thought that whole thing was Ser Jacapo pipes and Ebay. Perhaps
Castello did this as well?

Jimmy "da Pipe" Muraco
http://thesmokingtiger.blogspot.com/
http://straightgrain.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmuraco/

Bigron

Oct 24, 2006, 11:05:48 PM10/24/06

JtN© wrote:
> I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
> what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
> life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
> used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
> block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
> protected.
> JtN ©2006

I really don't care one way or the other about the ASP Castello 2007
POY project, but what's this other topic you're bringing up? It sounds
weird. How could someone stop others from selling any particular brand
via ebay? That couldn't happen, could it?

Brian Scott

Oct 24, 2006, 11:38:05 PM10/24/06
Bigron wrote:

>JtNŠ wrote:
>

>>I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
>>what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
>>life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
>>used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
>>block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
>>protected.

>>JtN Š2006

>I really don't care one way or the other about the ASP Castello 2007
>POY project, but what's this other topic you're bringing up? It sounds
>weird. How could someone stop others from selling any particular brand
>via ebay? That couldn't happen, could it?

It happens all the time. Brand names, most time those prone to knock
offs like designer clothes and handbags, can and do search eBay for
their products and have eBay pull them saying there is no way to verify
that the item is not a counterfeit. It's generally their way of keeping
their brand name from being sold for less than they wish all wrapped up
in the guise of protecting the consumer. Because we all know that
businesses want to protect us stupid consumers and not their bottom lines.

I have seen items with receipts to prove legitimacy pulled. The
designer argues that one can forge or fake a piece of paper as easily as
a leather bag. For more information go to ebay and search for "vero"
and you'll get the full skinny.

RC Hamlin

Oct 25, 2006, 1:41:50 AM10/25/06

JtN© wrote:
> I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
> what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
> life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
> used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
> block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
> protected.
> JtN ©2006

I'd like to know what you are talking about too. Protect my pocket? How
exactly did I do this since I don't own or control the Trademark of anything
Castello related, never have and never will, nor do I have the desire or
"power" to tell eBay how to run their business. Seems to me that Castello
products are sold on eBay every day, I bought a very nice OA Bent Bulldog on
eBay just a couple of weeks ago. If you have any proof I'd sure like to see
it because it would be news to me.

-RCH

David Quisenberry

Oct 25, 2006, 7:16:55 AM10/25/06
You are probably one of the most uninformed dumb asses to ever grace ASP.
Bob was a huge seller of castello's on ebay. Check the id denmother. When
castello [and other mfgrs] used Ebay to help them control pricing [I didnt
like it either] it hurt Bob more than anyone because he discounted new
pipes. You really should go find a newsgroup you fit better in like
alt.asswipeswithpipes.

"JtN©" <jim_the...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Briarroot

Oct 25, 2006, 7:18:08 AM10/25/06
Bigron wrote:

> JtNŠ wrote:
>> I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
>> what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
>> life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
>> used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
>> block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
>> protected.
>> JtN Š2006

> I really don't care one way or the other about the ASP Castello 2007
> POY project, but what's this other topic you're bringing up? It sounds
> weird. How could someone stop others from selling any particular brand
> via ebay? That couldn't happen, could it?

It has to do with the exclusivity contracts of US distributors of
certain pipe brands. I don't remember reading anything about
Castello doing it, but there was a huge brouhaha associated with Ser
Jacopo pipes and eBay a few years ago. It seems that certain
individuals were buying new Ser Jacopo pipes directly from Italian
vendors at a substantial discount via the internet, and then selling
them on eBay thus undercutting the prices generally charged by US
retailers. I don't recall the precise details, but it seems the US
distributor of Ser Jacopo pipes, exercising his contractual rights,
was able to convince eBay to pull certain auctions for new Ser
Jacopo pipes. There was a big stink about all this here on ASP. I
pass no judgments, one way or the other.

Regards,

Tim Parker ... Germain's Medium Flake in a basket bulldog

--
"To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that
of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare others who

David Quisenberry

Oct 25, 2006, 7:22:02 AM10/25/06
Im sure Bob is unknown to many of the flybynight newbies in here. I bet
that frank burla guy who only posts once a month about some pipe show is
unknown to you. Or maybe some guy who rarely posts called BigPipeGuy. What
that means is you have been here long enough to only know the ones who put
msgs here all day because they have nothing better to do.
But hey, everyone has an opinion to go along with their arsehole.

"Warren F" <blackd...@mchsi.com> wrote in message

JtN©

Oct 25, 2006, 8:55:08 AM10/25/06
Now take RC Hamlin and Castello. Bob cant go after E-Bay but the
manufacture can and Bob at the time being the US Distributor of
Castello saw Castello pipes being sold mainly in the US on E-Bay and
the majority of them were not going through his hands or should I say
pocket. There was also the issue that was brought up about warrantys
and such in case of a burn out pipe on who exactly would be responsible
for that pipe. The distributor would either have to replace pipe or
prove pipe was not purchased originaly within the US and refuse to do
anything about it thus pissing off the smoker about Castello, the
dealer who sold the pipe about Castello and Bob and overall pissing off
Bob because he was now possibly going to lose a dealer selling his
wares and that would hurt Bob's pocket. So as a distributor for
Castello he got Castello to work with E-Bay and thus trying to solve
his problems.

Overall RC Hamlin cares about his pocket and as long as he is selling
pipes he is happy. He is not promoting anything other than himself and
his pocket. Like I have said before Iwould much rather support a carver
where the money is going directly to the carver instead of into a
dealers/distributors pocket.

BTW ... who thinks it would overall be easier to just list the prices
of the pipes Bob is trying to siphon out of his inventory instead of
the whole e-mail for price and info routine. Post it for the world to
see and be done with it.

Ya know I dont remember Ser Jac's doing it as well but I'm sure there
were others in all products sold on E-Bay that we just never realize
are doing it.

JtN ©2006

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 25, 2006, 9:08:28 AM10/25/06
Briarroot schreef:

> Bigron wrote:
>> I really don't care one way or the other about the ASP Castello 2007
>> POY project, but what's this other topic you're bringing up? It sounds
>> weird. How could someone stop others from selling any particular brand
>> via ebay? That couldn't happen, could it?
>
> It has to do with the exclusivity contracts of US distributors of
> certain pipe brands. I don't remember reading anything about
> Castello doing it, but there was a huge brouhaha associated with Ser
> Jacopo pipes and eBay a few years ago. It seems that certain
> individuals were buying new Ser Jacopo pipes directly from Italian
> vendors at a substantial discount via the internet, and then selling
> them on eBay thus undercutting the prices generally charged by US
> retailers. I don't recall the precise details, but it seems the US
> distributor of Ser Jacopo pipes, exercising his contractual rights,
> was able to convince eBay to pull certain auctions for new Ser
> Jacopo pipes. There was a big stink about all this here on ASP. I
> pass no judgments, one way or the other.

That is exactly what I read here:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=castello_pipes

Message has been deleted

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 25, 2006, 9:11:05 AM10/25/06
David Quisenberry schreef:

> Im sure Bob is unknown to many of the flybynight newbies in here. I bet
> that frank burla guy who only posts once a month about some pipe show is
> unknown to you. Or maybe some guy who rarely posts called BigPipeGuy. What
> that means is you have been here long enough to only know the ones who put
> msgs here all day because they have nothing better to do.
> But hey, everyone has an opinion to go along with their arsehole.

<Scott Curtis>
I like you.
</Scott Curtis>

JtN©

Oct 25, 2006, 9:25:11 AM10/25/06
Bob stopped being the US Distributor for Castello a few years ago and
thus the issue with Castello's on E-Bay stopped being an issue and
Castello.

I lost respect for Bob as a person over the entire VERO thing. Everyone
sits back and talks about all that Bob did for the pipe world ... well
during the VERO and E-Bay time all he did was protect his pocket. He
didnt care about the pipe world as a whole at that time but instead he
cared about his pocket.

I also do seriously find it very strange that if Bob is so important a
contributor to the pipe world that he makes a great appearance on ASP
after being gone for so long and all of a sudden he is offering some
special ASP Castello pipe project. Call me cynical but Bob has pockets
to fill and ... well ... where has he been in the past ASP pipe deals
if he is such a big and important part of the pipe world and been on
ASP for so long?

JtN ©2006

Bill wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2006 05:55:08 -0700, "JtN©" <jim_the...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Castello he got Castello to work with E-Bay and thus trying to solve
> >his problems.
>

> I see lots of Castello pipes on Ebay. What's up with that?

Alex

Oct 25, 2006, 9:32:48 AM10/25/06

Briarroot wrote:
> Bigron wrote:

> > JtN© wrote:
> >> I refuse to give any sort of buisness to your or Castello because of
> >> what you did to people who wanted to sell Castello's on E-bay. For the
> >> life of me I cant remember the exact terminology of it all that was
> >> used but you were trying to protect your pocket by having Castello
> >> block E-Bay sales of there pipes so that your pocket could be
> >> protected.
> >> JtN ©2006

Interesting. Tim (or anyone else), I've notice that some Italian
retailers (Bollito for instance) won't tell you the price of a Castello
until you contact them. Is this because they're marking up the pipes
they sell to Americans?

Alex

Oct 25, 2006, 9:35:06 AM10/25/06

David Quisenberry wrote:
> You are probably one of the most uninformed dumb asses to ever grace ASP.

> You really should go find a newsgroup you fit better in like
> alt.asswipeswithpipes.

If he's not the most, then I don't know who is.

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 25, 2006, 9:42:58 AM10/25/06
Bill schreef:
> On 25 Oct 2006 05:55:08 -0700, "JtNŠ" <jim_the...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
>>Castello he got Castello to work with E-Bay and thus trying to solve
>>his problems.
>

> I see lots of Castello pipes on Ebay. What's up with that?

Read

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=castello_pipes

Or you could just scroll down a bit, and read what can and what cannot be
sold on eBay. I really don't see anything wrong with that. I also don't see
any personal connection with Bob in this whole VeRO thing, as it also seems
to apply for Europe, and everywhere else where eBay is "active".

The way I read it is that it is fine for me, as a collector, to sell my
Castello on eBay. I am not allowed to sell any warranty with it (which is
only normal, I'd think) ands I should list it as used / estate. If I would
start to doctor with it, clean it up, drill it out to remove all cake or
traces of it being an estate pipe, restain and so on, and sell it as a new
pipe, that would not be allowed.

You wouldn't like it any other way either, as a buyer, would you?

Louis F. Carbone

Oct 25, 2006, 9:43:34 AM10/25/06
JtN© wrote:

Man, some people just can't help themselves...

> where has he been in the past ASP pipe deals
>> if he is such a big and important part of the pipe world and been on
>> ASP for so long?

What does an ASP Pipe deal have to do with what he has contributed to
the hobby as a whole? How does his involvement or lack of in any past
ASP Pipe project have anything to do with the "pipe world" or his
contribution to it?

Give it a rest already. Just refuse to buy a pipe from him.

Lou, NY

Corneel Vermeulen

Oct 25, 2006, 9:44:51 AM10/25/06
JtN© schreef:

> where has he been in the past ASP pipe deals if he is such a big and
> important part of the pipe world and been on ASP for so long?

Maybe he retired for a few years, and has recently got back in the pipe
business?

Maybe you know better ...

Jim

Oct 25, 2006, 10:11:13 AM10/25/06
For $300 + bucks, I expect the pipe to come with a buxom young lady to
fill & light it for me plus fetch the coffee <g>

Jim

Ron Jenkins

Oct 25, 2006, 10:54:12 AM10/25/06

[...]

Maybe he hasn't been gone from ASP, maybe he is Uncle Paddy!!!

Jimmy, me lad!

Have you ever thought of doin the same with yer lips? 'Cause
every time you open them, nothin' but crap seems to come out!

So what's the deal here laddie? Ye seem to have a lot of time
on yer hands, 'cause yer doin nothin but poundin' that keyboard an
actin' like yer the self-appointed guardian of ASP. Did ye lose yer
job, laddie? Did ye ever have one? Why don't ye take up a hobby then,
like pullin' yer pud to work off some of that agression, laddie?

I don't mean to sound personal, laddie, but yer dumber than a
fencepost, and have all of the class of a redneck livin' in a trailer.
And considerin' that yer jest a loudmouthed sack o'shit, that ain't
sayin much, is it laddie?

Well, laddie, you think about gettin' a life - ye know, the
kind with *real* people in it - rather than spendin' all of yer time
on ASP, will ye now?

Uncle Paddy
Erinmore in a Peterson

JtN©

Oct 25, 2006, 11:01:37 AM10/25/06
Come on Uncle Ron Paddy Jenkins ... it might be an oldie and a goodie
but being the troll that you are and using it after almost everytime I
say something makes it lose its lustre. Might I suggest you refrain
from abusing your musings and only post your work every so often? I
only suggest this so that you might be able to get some extra long term
milage out of your rambling.

Kind of like keepin it fresh instead well used and abused.

JtN ©2006

Ron Jenkins

Uncle Paddy

Oct 25, 2006, 1:31:08 PM10/25/06
On 25 Oct 2006 08:01:37 -0700, "JtAŠ" <jim_the...@hotmail.com>
mincing about in pretty pink toe-slippers did whine:

>Might I suggest you refrain
>from abusing your musings and only post your work every so often? I
>only suggest this so that you might be able to get some extra long term
>milage out of your rambling.
>
>Kind of like keepin it fresh instead well used and abused.

Why Jimmy, me lad!

I was just going to say the very same thing aboot yer
postin's!

We all know that ye have way too much time on yer hands, an'
between yer idleness and that yer as dumb as a fencepost - well
laddie, that's a combo made for usenet abuse! I mean have ye ever
asked a normal person to read some of the crap that ye post here?

Naah, I doubt it - with yer nasty mouth, ye don't have a
friend in the world, much less a normal one, eh laddie?

Haven't ye noticed that not one of the lad here comes to yer
defense? Most of ASP calls ye an asshole or worse!

Despite yer many postin's in this thread, ye haven't said one
worthwhile word; jest yer usual piss an' vinegar. So why don't you do
us all a favor, Jimmy-lad, and just go away, eh laddie?

Uncle Paddy
FourSquare in a Peterson

Joe LaVigne

Oct 27, 2006, 1:29:40 AM10/27/06
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:22:02 -0500, David Quisenberry wrote:

> Im sure Bob is unknown to many of the flybynight newbies in here. I bet
> that frank burla guy who only posts once a month about some pipe show is
> unknown to you. Or maybe some guy who rarely posts called BigPipeGuy. What
> that means is you have been here long enough to only know the ones who put
> msgs here all day because they have nothing better to do.
> But hey, everyone has an opinion to go along with their arsehole.

What's "flybynight" in your book, David? I have been here for a few years
now, and the only posts I have ever seen by Bob have been recent, and
before that in the VERO threads.

That said, I know who he is, and his sacred cow position in the "pipe
community". And don't mind him posting ads at all (as if that would matter
anyhow). My only personal gripe is this very thread. And I'm going to let
it go now, as it doesn't really matter anyhow.

If someone wants his pipes, they'll buy them. I know I certainly won't.
If I ever DO buy a Castello, I'll make sure it is from overseas...

--
Joseph M. LaVigne
jlav...@hits-buffalo.com

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is
purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
--Stephen Hawking

David Quisenberry

Oct 27, 2006, 7:13:58 AM10/27/06
I consider a FlyByNighter somone who shows up excited about pipes and
tobacco, but they are more interested in being funny or antaganistic, or
simply want to be popular so within a few days, or weeks or possibly
months, they start being more of a pain in the ass and less than an asset
[in any form] to the group. If you think about that, you can surely come up
with plenty who are here now. Dont get me wrong, I have no problems with
social posting. But there is a clear demarcation between the type I
described and a social poster. Your remark about sacred cows gets under my
skin, but instead of replying with the first thing in my head, I will try
respond with this. Check how many posts I have made in the last few years.
Not too many. Yet I have been on this board since the early 90s when 5
posts a day was a windfall. There is a huge list of people who were major
contributors who left simply because of the type of posters I first
described. Many others like me are still here checking the newsgroup every
day, but rarely responding. Bob is one of those. Greg Pease is one of
those, along with Frank Burla, Richard Esserman and a number of others who
dont come to mind at the moment. Unfortuantly, too many simply got tired of
it and dont even read the newsgroup anymore. As far as the Vero program and
where you would purchase pipes I dont have any problem with that at all, I
also purchase pipes where I can get the best deal many times.

"Joe LaVigne" <jlav...@hits-buffalo.com> wrote in message

davesix...@yahoo.com

Oct 27, 2006, 8:45:26 PM10/27/06
Bob Hamlin does not need anybody to stick up for him but hears my take.
I well remember the Hollco Days, some very average Castellos, if you
wanted the great pieces Bob could get them at better prices. Bob has
supported pipe shows for longer than I've been around. We have many
different types of collectors here, my average for a pipe is $300, some
may spend that in a lifetimes collection. Some may average $1200 but we
all take pleasure from them. Lets be nice and share the pipe info.
that has been missing since the Ephemeris' end. I think Bob Hamlin is
good for the hobby. Dunhill 21,000 in a P&T Cooke POTY

dennis

Oct 27, 2006, 9:03:57 PM10/27/06
Go get'em Dave.

You guys should see Dave in action at the DFW pipe club meetings.

... dennis