Preliminary DEVOtional Report - TOP SECRET

Rev. Ivan Stang

Aug 31, 2008, 3:05:08 PM8/31/08

DEVOtional has gotten to be a lot like X-Day, only indoors. About the
same number of attendees -- 100 to 200 at peak -- and after so many of
these events, it's getting to be as much a reunion of weirdo friends
as a DEVO tribute. Like with devivals, only a smattering of the crowd
was local. People came all over the USA and even from Australia. We
DEVOtees are a dedicated lot.

This one was preceded by the Jocko Dome-O art show the night before.
One side of an art gallery in Tremont, Asterisk, was taken up by
paintings by Rev. KRK Ryden, and the other contained the couple of
dozen mutated Power Dome hats. About half of those were done by
SubGenii -- Susie the Floozy, St. Byron Werner, KRK Ryden, Rev. Nickie
Deathchick Wild, Salacia the Overseer, StangDoe, Hellswami Satellite
Weavers, St. Joe Riley and many others. Most of these actually sold
for prices starting at $100! The gallery was pretty crowded by 10 pm.
Rev. HV Monkey and his wife Anna masterminded this project and it was
very successful on all levels. I will eventually post a jillion photos
of the various objects.

The DEVOtional at the Beachland Ballroom was very similar to last
year's, that is, A SMORGASBORD OF GORGEOUS NERRRD GRRLS of every shape
and size. Another feature that other persons might have noticed are
the various DEVO "research and emulation" bands. Poopy Necroponte's
band CLEVO changed some DEVO oldies into, variously, reggae versions,
death metal versions, and even "classic rock" style. In the middle of
a song they'd suddenly morph it into Sympathy for the Devil, or an old
Santana jam. A very sarcastic performance.

I spoke on The Graying of DEVO (not what the title might suggest) and
introduced the Mutant Mountain Boys, who convert DEVO songs to
Appalachian folk tunes which sound like they're from the 1920s. The
mountain "boys" are actually half girls, esp. main singer Rev.
Samantha, who performed her new antique bluegrass SubGenius hymn as
well. What a beautant clown. (In real life she's a shrink!) If my
video sounds OK I'll probably post those to my GoogleVideo account.

KRK Ryden, who has done DEVO graphics for centuries, accompanied some
rare DEVO songs on Theremin. Some pretty amazing archival footage was
shown for the first time in public, including a 1975 concert from
their earliest days, and an astoundingly re-edited 1977 film (yes,
FILM) of their Max's Kansas City (NYC) performance. The Beachland has
a nice big screen behind their stage and this time was benefiting from
the sound and projection expertise of our pro A.C.E. friend Regis
Sedlock.

About 9:30, the real members of DEVO, who were getting ready to play
at a San Diego racetrack, gathered around a video camera backstage so
they could answer DEVOtional audience questions live, over a web TV
connection. It was a little glitchy technically but basically worked.
The DEVOs are still really funny guys. I have always said they missed
their calling as sarcastic TV show hosts.

The DEVOtional highlight is always THE SPUDBOYS, who do superb
emulations of actual DEVO shows. This year they out-did themselves by
procuring and using (with many updated shots inserted by organizer
Alex Brunelle) the rear-projection videos made to sync with the band
on the SHOUT album tour. That syncing takes some devilish timing, but
The Spudboys pulled it off flawlessly. It's highly "interactive." For
example, a giant pirate on the screen could kick the band's asses and
they'd go flying, or the singer (Rev. Scot Orsi) could pick off vapid
computer-girls with his virtual pistol, and when hit they would burst
into particles and float away. The Spudboys played for at least 2
hours straight. The second half was a sort of DEVOoke whereby DEVOtees
who had arranged for it beforehand could take the stage and provide
vocals. This isn't nearly as awful as it sounds! It's a great way to
close the DEVOtional.

I learned some interesting things. Apparently Prof. Mark
Mothersbaugh's Little Red Book has been reprinted in blue and now has
a foldout introduction by me! I'll be very curious to see that
someday, as I don't remember writing that. In the '80s I did write
some Club DEVO newsletter samples including a ghostwritten General Boy
rant, so maybe some of that got used somehow. I also learned that
Jerry Casale, the oldest member DEVO, is now 60.

We also got to hear and see very, very special things that I can't
talk about! "What happens in DEVOtional STAYS in DEVOtional." This is
why the hard-core fans MUST make the pilgrimage to Cleveland at least
once in their lives.

I hope this DEVO weekend has managed to shake out the songs that were
stuck in my head. Up until this evening I'd been unable to make my
brain stop playing the entire Rainmakers catalog inside my skull. Now
the only thing stuck in my head is "Uncontrollable Urge." (In more
ways than one.)

Special thanks to Rev, Michael Pilmer for managing Club DEVO so well!
He's a swell interface between DEVO and we DEVOtees. And thanks to SHE-
VO for the pizza!

Rev. Toth Wilder has a new compilation DEVO covers CD, "Not
Necessarily Beautiful but Mutated, Vol. 7," which is marvelous. It's
$15 postpaid in U.S., $17 everywhere else, PayPal to:
RevW...@neo.rr.com
Includes many SubGenius-affiliated bands such as Byron Werner's RURAL
WAR ROOM, OCCUPANT, MUTANT MOUNTAIN BOYS, and KRK Ryden's band JOSH OF
KEN THE MAGIC CORNER GOD.

Rev. Diva Schematic

Aug 31, 2008, 3:45:52 PM8/31/08

Bah.
Why can't I get to one of these.
Move Ohio near the fuck to the UK. Screw the rest of the states.

Rev. Tom Sane

Sep 4, 2008, 2:42:59 PM9/4/08
I could not attend the DEVOtional so I did the second best thing, I
went to a race track and saw DEVO.

It was pretty cool and I could feel the luck plane tilting as I got my
hands on the last VIP bracelet (which was lost, then found, then given
to me).

I bought an energy dome but then some bitch stole it. I'm guessing
that was another luck plane tilt, she probably had some VD or
something. So if you ever meet a 37 year old blonde from San Diego
with an energy dome who knew some guy from Oingo Boingo (after they
ceased to be popular), she'll probably give you herpes or syphilis.

I'm sure that the DEVOtional was a lot of fun but I had a good time
too.