Attention...Lyndon

Skip to the first unread message

Bigbazza

4 Jun 2012, 21:42:2304/06/2012
I see you use the same version of 'Windows Live Mail' as I use..... How come
your posts have the > > marks before the posts you are responding to?.....
This version I use (which appears to be the same version you use) does not
separate my response from the other poster I am responding to with these
marks > > !!

Do you have to individually put them there yourself, or are they just part
of WLM ?

Barry Oz

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 03:59:5105/06/2012
"Bigbazza" wrote
>I see you use the same version of 'Windows Live Mail' as I use..... How
>come your posts have the > > marks before the posts you are responding
>to?.....

I put them in. Since I don't indent it's easy to add them just to the
Lyndon

Bigbazza

5 Jun 2012, 04:33:0805/06/2012

"The Welsh Windbag" wrote in message
LOL, Lyndon....So that was what Janet meant when she said
'Indentless'...Nevertheless she should have written 'indent less', or
without indents...:-)

I thought you must have....I have done that on a few occasions, but it
depends on just how much of the post that one's replying to, as one can have
a lot of >> to put in...

I am definately going to look around for a new newsreader.....I used to like
Outlook Express, and I see that some still use it!.....Does anyone know how
I could get and use it with Windows 7 ?

Barry Oz

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 04:52:5005/06/2012
"Bigbazza" wrote
>I see you use the same version of 'Windows Live Mail' as I use..... How
>come your posts have the > > marks before the posts you are responding
>to?.....

Lyndon replied
>I put them in. Since I don't indent it's easy to add them just to the

"Bigbazza" replied
>LOL, Lyndon....So that was what Janet meant when she said
>'Indentless'...Nevertheless she should have written 'indent less', or
>without indents...:-)
>
>I thought you must have....I have done that on a few occasions, but it
>depends on just how much of the post that one's replying to, as one can
>have a lot of >> to put in...

To my mind there is a big difference between 'indentless' - without indents,
and 'indent less' - use fewer indents, so I agree with Janet's use. It is
acceptable to me to construct a word, when the meaning is clear and
unambiguous from the component parts.

I think we are all responsible for the readability of our own messages. If
it is not readable, it is not worth writing it. If it only requires a little
editing of the quoted text to make it readable, then so be it.
--
Lyndon

Stephen Wolstenholme

5 Jun 2012, 05:02:4505/06/2012
Why not use a newsreader that puts quote marks in automatically? All
newsreaders apart from Windows Live Mail are automatic.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 05:16:1505/06/2012
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>Why not use a newsreader that puts quote marks in automatically? All
>newsreaders apart from Windows Live Mail are automatic.

Because they produce messages that begin like this, before you get to
anything relevant:

X-No-Archive:Yes
On 4 June, 01:29, "Joy" <toas...@real-me.net> wrote:
> "Judith in France" <judith.le...@googlemail.com> wrote in
> messagenews:4d9e15e6-3e91-4fac...@b1g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...
> X-No-Archive:Yes
> On 3 June, 08:19, "Joy" <toas...@real-me.net> wrote:
>

> > "Bigbazza" <ba...@bazlpus.org> wrote in message

> > > "Joy" wrote in message

Stephen Wolstenholme

5 Jun 2012, 07:00:2905/06/2012
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:16:15 +0100, "The Welsh Windbag"
<thewels...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>>Why not use a newsreader that puts quote marks in automatically? All
>>newsreaders apart from Windows Live Mail are automatic.
>
>Because they produce messages that begin like this, before you get to
>anything relevant:

That is up to the poster. Just like I have done here. What else do
thing is relevant?

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 07:37:4105/06/2012
>"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>>Why not use a newsreader that puts quote marks in automatically? All
>>newsreaders apart from Windows Live Mail are automatic.

Lyndon:
>Because they produce messages that begin like this, before you get to
>anything relevant

"Stephen Wolstenholme" queried:
>That is up to the poster. Just like I have done here. What else do
>thing is relevant?

I don't think the amount of editing you have to do is any less than that
which I do, so can't see the advantage of getting a different reader.

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 07:34:1605/06/2012
>"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>>Why not use a newsreader that puts quote marks in automatically? All
>>newsreaders apart from Windows Live Mail are automatic.

Lyndon:
>Because they produce messages that begin like this, before you get to
>anything relevant

"Stephen Wolstenholme" queried:
>That is up to the poster. Just like I have done here. What else do
>thing is relevant?

Stephen Wolstenholme

5 Jun 2012, 08:40:4305/06/2012
I don't have to any editing at all but I can if I need to. Just as in
a word processor.

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 08:49:5905/06/2012
Lyndon:
>I don't think the amount of editing you have to do is any less than that
>which I do, so can't see the advantage of getting a different reader.

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>I don't have to any editing at all but I can if I need to. Just as in
>a word processor.

Yeahbut, if you don't edit at all, you get the mess that I referred to
earlier in the thread. So we both edit in order to produce something
readable.

If I have to edit anyway, I find WLM to be as good as anything else.

Stephen Wolstenholme

5 Jun 2012, 09:08:0805/06/2012
I click the reply button and add my comment. No editing at all.

Gordon H

5 Jun 2012, 10:10:5205/06/2012
In message <gsCdncAatKkeclDS...@bt.com>, The Welsh Windbag
<thewels...@btinternet.com> writes
I don't have to do any editing. 8-p
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H

5 Jun 2012, 10:11:5305/06/2012
In message <3tednS3_B8TlnVPS...@bt.com>, The Welsh Windbag
<thewels...@btinternet.com> writes
Turnpike is *better* than anything else. :)

Stephen Wolstenholme

5 Jun 2012, 10:36:0605/06/2012
Apart from Forte Agent. :)

The Welsh Windbag

5 Jun 2012, 13:54:4705/06/2012
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>I click the reply button and add my comment. No editing at all.

I think we can draw the obvious conclusion.
You are happy with yours, and I'm happy with mine.

Janet

5 Jun 2012, 14:02:3105/06/2012
In article <a35uic...@mid.individual.net>, ba...@bazlpus.org says...

> LOL, Lyndon....So that was what Janet meant when she said
> 'Indentless'...Nevertheless she should have written 'indent less', or
> without indents...:-)

Nope. Prefixes and suffixes join straight onto their root word, with no
gap.

Your ignorance is endless.

Janet

Janet

5 Jun 2012, 14:02:3205/06/2012
In article <811ss7l1q8039j3b0...@4ax.com>, st...@npsl1.com
says...

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 13:49:59 +0100, "The Welsh Windbag"
> <thewels...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >Lyndon:
> >>I don't think the amount of editing you have to do is any less than that
> >>which I do, so can't see the advantage of getting a different reader.
> >
> >"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
> >>I don't have to any editing at all but I can if I need to. Just as in
> >>a word processor.
> >
> >Yeahbut, if you don't edit at all, you get the mess that I referred to
> >earlier in the thread. So we both edit in order to produce something
> >readable.
> >
> >If I have to edit anyway, I find WLM to be as good as anything else.
>
> I click the reply button and add my comment. No editing at all.

It's correct usenet protocol, to edit quoted posts and place your
response in such a position that other readers can see which poster's
remark you're responding to, and (in a long conversation) save everyone
scrolling pages to reach a oneline reply.

Janet

Gordon H

5 Jun 2012, 14:38:2905/06/2012
In message <696ss7tv1bs6r53b9...@4ax.com>, Stephen
Wolstenholme <st...@npsl1.com> writes
>On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:11:53 +0100, Gordon H
><Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In message <3tednS3_B8TlnVPS...@bt.com>, The Welsh Windbag
>><thewels...@btinternet.com> writes
>>>Lyndon:
>>>
>>>"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>>>
>>>Yeahbut, if you don't edit at all, you get the mess that I referred to
>>>earlier in the thread. So we both edit in order to produce something
>>>readable.
>>>
>>>If I have to edit anyway, I find WLM to be as good as anything else.
>>>
>>Turnpike is *better* than anything else. :)
>
>Apart from Forte Agent. :)
>
>Steve

I nearly added that my next choice when Turnpike no longer works with
Microsoft (xx) I will choose Forte Agent. :-)

Farm1

5 Jun 2012, 21:55:2305/06/2012
"The Welsh Windbag" <thewels...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lyndon:
>>I don't think the amount of editing you have to do is any less than that
>>which I do, so can't see the advantage of getting a different reader.
>
> "Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
>>I don't have to any editing at all but I can if I need to. Just as in
>>a word processor.
>
> Yeahbut, if you don't edit at all, you get the mess that I referred to
> earlier in the thread. So we both edit in order to produce something
> readable.

The only editing I had to do in order to reply to this post was to delete a
blank line that appears in front of your sig at the top of this email.

If I were Joan and replying to your post, she would just type in that blank
line. I don't do that because I hate seeing replies above the text to which
a reply is being given.

Gordon H

6 Jun 2012, 06:22:3206/06/2012
In message <jqmdaj$mqd$1...@dont-email.me>, Farm1
<Her...@owenothing.com.au> writes
I agree. I only make an exception for Joan because I'm a sapiosexual,
and she used to have fabulous legs and drive race cars.

(It's mainly the race cars that does it). ;-)

Jean B.

6 Jun 2012, 19:06:2706/06/2012
My opinion (unasked for) is that you are an interesting and
wonderful poster, and I don't care HOW you post or what you use to
do it.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

6 Jun 2012, 19:09:4306/06/2012
Gordon H wrote:

> In message <jqmdaj$mqd$1...@dont-email.me>, Farm1 writes:
[snip]
>> If I were Joan and replying to your post, she would just type in that
>> blank line. I don't do that because I hate seeing replies above the
>> text to which a reply is being given.
>>
> I agree. I only make an exception for Joan because I'm a sapiosexual,
> and she used to have fabulous legs and drive race cars.
>
> (It's mainly the race cars that does it). ;-)

BUT don't you think that even though we prefer bottom posting, we
can be flexible?

--
Jean B.

The Welsh Windbag

7 Jun 2012, 05:31:2907/06/2012
"Jean B."
>My opinion (unasked for) is that you are an interesting and
>wonderful poster, and I don't care HOW you post or what you use to
>do it.

That's very kind of you. Thank you Jean.
--
Lyndon

normak

7 Jun 2012, 15:10:1307/06/2012

"The Welsh Windbag" <thewels...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Good to know. I have "Windows Live Mail" now on my new computer, but I am
having a hard time getting used to it, betwee bout of illness and other
things that keep popping up. I am very resisant to getting away from
Outloook
Express.

NormaK

Joy

7 Jun 2012, 17:04:2207/06/2012
"normak" <njk...@qREMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
I know what you mean, Norma. I'm still using OE. I've tried a couple of
the other ones, but I keep coming back. I know how it works, and it does
what I want, so why change?

Joy

Jean B.

7 Jun 2012, 22:31:1707/06/2012