Good Morning all!

Skip to the first unread message

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 05:03:0904/06/2012
Didn't she do well?
Didn't the good old British public do well in the pouring rain?
Did I hear that the monarchy was to be dissolved and all their worldly
goods given to the poor?
No?
Shame?
Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of admiration for the Queen.
Can you imagine?
President Cameron. Ugh!
President Blair. worse Ugh!
Had a marvellous weekend. The birthday knees-up was a great success...
Nice lot of posts to read.

Bobbie

toci

4 Jun 2012, 06:12:1804/06/2012
William looks fair to do a good job when it's his turn, and even
Charles looks good for his stint earlier. You all seem to be set for
awhile. As for the other, we might send you our leftover presidents
when we're done with them, if you'd like that better. Toci

Gordon H

4 Jun 2012, 06:38:3504/06/2012
In message <a33bud...@mid.individual.net>, Bobbie
<nowyo...@gone.net> writes
>Didn't she do well?
>Didn't the good old British public do well in the pouring rain?
>Did I hear that the monarchy was to be dissolved and all their worldly
>goods given to the poor?
>No?
>Shame?
>Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of admiration for the Queen.
>Can you imagine?
>President Cameron. Ugh!
>President Blair. worse Ugh!

No I can't... :-(

I always get emotional watching the Queen, especially when they show
photos of her in her early 20s, because my wife had an astonishing
resemblance to her, especially when she wore a tiara at our wedding!

If I revive my photo site I'll post a photo.

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Janet

4 Jun 2012, 07:58:1604/06/2012
In article <a33bud...@mid.individual.net>, nowyo...@gone.net says...
I so enjoyed Kate's outfit... how simple and elegant.

Janet

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 08:16:4004/06/2012
Isn't she always? She puts a good number of the lady royals to shame at
times.
Looking back over old photos some of the Queen's hats were really
lovely, not sure I like the big ones she favours now, too madhatterish.
Did you by any chance watch the Royal programme presented by Charles, it
was really good?

Bobbie

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 08:22:0704/06/2012
Please do.
It is likely to be a particularly moving few days for you then, Gordon.
No doubt about it, the Queen really is an amazing old lady.

Bobbie

The Welsh Windbag

4 Jun 2012, 08:25:5004/06/2012
"Janet" wrote
> I so enjoyed Kate's outfit... how simple and elegant.

Shame about the anorexia though. I hope they can sort her out quickly.
--
Lyndon

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 08:29:0404/06/2012
Does she have Anorexia or just overdoing a diet? She is very thin, to be
sure, but it would be very sad if it was due to an eating disorder.

Bobbie

thewels...@gmail.com

4 Jun 2012, 08:32:2504/06/2012
to nowyo...@gone.net
I thought all the rain was an attempt to dissolve the monarchy.
--
Lyndon

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 08:42:5804/06/2012
LOL did I really say that?
It wont work, I told them.

Bobbie;-)

The Welsh Windbag

4 Jun 2012, 08:44:5004/06/2012

"Bobbie" wrote in message news:a33o0f...@mid.individual.net...
>Does she have Anorexia or just overdoing a diet? She is very thin, to be
>sure, but it would be very sad if it was due to an eating disorder.

She appears to be losing weight at an alarming rate. I'd have thought that
overdoing a diet to that extent was a sign of anorexia?

--
Lyndon

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 08:52:0504/06/2012
Oh, Lyndon, while I have your attention, I have a super word for you. I
confess it is new to me. I think one need to enunciate it properly.
My spell checker just couldn't handle it.:-)

cunctator

PRONUNCIATION:
(kungk-TAY-tuhr)

MEANING:
noun: One who hesitates; a procrastinator or delayer.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin cunctari (to hesitate, delay). Earliest documented use: 1654.

USAGE:
"No cunctator, James quickly provided his wife with the surefire
ammunition to divorce him -- adultery."
Richard Kepler Brunner; With Marriage Penalty, It Can Pay to Get
Divorced; The Morning Call (Allentown, Pennsylvania); Oct 3, 1999.

Explore "cunctator" in the Visual Thesaurus.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
I would have made a good Pope. -Richard M. Nixon, 37th president of US
(1913-1994)

Bobbie :-)

The Welsh Windbag

4 Jun 2012, 09:35:5704/06/2012
Bobbie wrote:
>Oh, Lyndon, while I have your attention, I have a super word for you. I
>confess it is new to me. I think one need to enunciate it properly.
>My spell checker just couldn't handle it.:-)
>
>cunctator

Oh, what a great word. As a cunctator myself I will one day get round to
using it, but I had better not do it straight away.

On a different topic, while you were away I mentioned the winner of the
Young Musician 2012 - 15 year old Laura van der Heijden, a cellist. Did you
see her by any chance. Her final performance was absolutely spell binding.

--
Lyndon

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 12:09:2104/06/2012
I did indeed, and fairly choked over it. It was beautiful. Such a pretty
young thing too. As you said at the time, Classical music is in good
hands., or words to that effect.:-)
I have listened to that performance over and over. I feel sure she has a
great future.

Bobbie

thewels...@gmail.com

4 Jun 2012, 12:46:4504/06/2012
For some strange reason, I am only seeing some of your posts in Google and not in WLM, so if I ignore you, can assumption 1 be I haven't seen you, and only assumption 2 be that I am an ignorant Welsh peasant with no social skills.

I've kept the recording of her performance, but haven't manage to play it over again yet, though I've played her semifinal performance a couple of times.
--
Lyndon

Janet

4 Jun 2012, 12:59:0704/06/2012
In article <a33n98...@mid.individual.net>, nowyo...@gone.net says...

> On 04/06/2012 12:58, Janet wrote:
> > In article<a33bud...@mid.individual.net>, nowyo...@gone.net says...
> >>
> >> Didn't she do well?
> >> Didn't the good old British public do well in the pouring rain?
> >> Did I hear that the monarchy was to be dissolved and all their worldly
> >> goods given to the poor?
> >> No?
> >> Shame?
> >> Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of admiration for the Queen.
> >> Can you imagine?
> >> President Cameron. Ugh!
> >> President Blair. worse Ugh!
> >> Had a marvellous weekend. The birthday knees-up was a great success...
> >> Nice lot of posts to read.
> >>
> >> Bobbie
> >
> > I so enjoyed Kate's outfit... how simple and elegant.
> >
> > Janet
>
> Isn't she always? She puts a good number of the lady royals to shame at
> times.
> Looking back over old photos some of the Queen's hats were really
> lovely, not sure I like the big ones she favours now, too madhatterish.

In the older pics and films she wore some stunning dresses.

> Did you by any chance watch the Royal programme presented by Charles, it
> was really good?

Yes.. even John enjoyed those old family cinefilms.

Janet

Gordon H

4 Jun 2012, 12:56:4504/06/2012
In message <MPG.2a36b32d5...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Janet <H...@invalid.net> writes
Yes, but it would have looked better on Pippa. ;-)

Gordon H

4 Jun 2012, 12:57:5404/06/2012
In message <es2dnfvxWKXTNFHS...@bt.com>, The Welsh Windbag
<thewels...@btinternet.com> writes
>"Janet" wrote
>> I so enjoyed Kate's outfit... how simple and elegant.
>
>Shame about the anorexia though. I hope they can sort her out quickly.

I have been pondering that, I'm sure she has some eating disorder, you
can't see her when she turns sideways. :-(

Bobbie

4 Jun 2012, 13:58:4004/06/2012
On 04/06/2012 17:46, thewels...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, 4 June 2012 17:09:21 UTC+1, Bobbie wrote:

>>> Oh, what a great word. As a cunctator myself I will one day get round to
>>> using it, but I had better not do it straight away.
>>>
>>> On a different topic, while you were away I mentioned the winner of the
>>> Young Musician 2012 - 15 year old Laura van der Heijden, a cellist. Did
>>> you see her by any chance. Her final performance was absolutely spell
>>> binding.
>>>
>> I did indeed, and fairly choked over it. It was beautiful. Such a pretty
>> young thing too. As you said at the time, Classical music is in good
>> hands., or words to that effect.:-)
>> I have listened to that performance over and over. I feel sure she has a
>> great future.
>>
>> Bobbie
>
> For some strange reason, I am only seeing some of your posts in Google and not in WLM, so if I ignore you, can assumption 1
be I haven't seen you, and only assumption 2 be that I am an ignorant
Welsh peasant with no social skills.

That is a shame, think of all the pearls of wisdom you are missing, not
to mention some damn fine jokes. ;-)
Seriously, Lyndon, don't give it another thought.

> I've kept the recording of her performance, but haven't manage to play it
over again yet, though I've played her semifinal performance a couple of
times.

Apart from the stirring patriotic music, I have never been much of a
Walton fan, but Laura's performance was sublime. What is more, I was
able to enjoy it despite my hearing loss, and what that does to so many
pieces of music.

Bobbie

Joan F (MI)

4 Jun 2012, 18:38:4604/06/2012
Oh, I liked that white hat she was wearing much better than her usual ones,
the way the side swept up was quite flattering to her face.

Joan F (MI)

4 Jun 2012, 18:45:1804/06/2012
Here's one for you:

sapiosexual (n.) - a person who is sexually attracted to intelligence in
others.

The Welsh Windbag

4 Jun 2012, 18:53:5104/06/2012
Hey, I'm one of those too. I'm a cunctating sapiosexual. It doesn't exactly
roll off the tongue does it? But it probably explains why Leslie Winkle is
my favourite character in BBT

"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message

Gordon H

5 Jun 2012, 05:29:4405/06/2012
In message <0qCdnZ-fjNHTp1DS...@giganews.com>, "Joan F
(MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> writes
>Here's one for you:
>
>sapiosexual (n.) - a person who is sexually attracted to intelligence in
>others.

Put me down for that!

Throw in - used to have fabulous legs and drive race cars and I'm
hooked.
;-)

Joan F (MI)

5 Jun 2012, 17:57:2005/06/2012
;-)

Farm1

5 Jun 2012, 21:19:1005/06/2012
"Bobbie" <nowyo...@gone.net> wrote in message
> Didn't she do well?

She AND Phil. I was astonished that these 2 old people were expected to
stand for so long on the boat on the Thames. Elder abuse I thought.

Farm1

5 Jun 2012, 21:31:0405/06/2012
"toci" <gin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Many, many years ago, long before Charles was married the first time and he
still didn't even have a steady known girlfriend, I remember reading a
'prophesy' from an Indian chap in one of the Australian women's mags. At
that time the only ?Australian women'd mags were the Australian Women's
Weekly, the New Idea or the Woman's Day so it was in one of those.

An Idian chap (as in from the Subcontinent) said that the next monarch would
be called William. I remembered it because given those in the line of
succession who were then alive, he should have said that the next Monarch
would be called Charles. I was scratching my head as to who this 'William'
could possibly be. Of course now we do have a William and I keep remebering
that prophesy every time I see either Cahrles or William.

Gordon H

6 Jun 2012, 06:16:1506/06/2012
In message <jqmbsu$gjg$1...@dont-email.me>, Farm1
<Her...@owenothing.com.au> writes

>Many, many years ago, long before Charles was married the first time and he
>still didn't even have a steady known girlfriend, I remember reading a
>'prophesy' from an Indian chap in one of the Australian women's mags. At
>that time the only ?Australian women'd mags were the Australian Women's
>Weekly, the New Idea or the Woman's Day so it was in one of those.
>
>An Idian chap (as in from the Subcontinent) said that the next monarch would
>be called William. I remembered it because given those in the line of
>succession who were then alive, he should have said that the next Monarch
>would be called Charles. I was scratching my head as to who this 'William'
>could possibly be. Of course now we do have a William and I keep remebering
>that prophesy every time I see either Cahrles or William.

You have to remember that most Royal male children are given a string of
names, usually George, Henry, William and Charles at least. ;-)
Then they choose one name to be dominant.

I had a cousin called George William Henry who became an eminent surgeon
in S Africa.

You need a lorra, lorra names if you want to become important. ;-)

Gordon H

6 Jun 2012, 06:18:0806/06/2012
In message <Tr2dnX38luArHVPS...@giganews.com>, "Joan F
(MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> writes
I'm off to see nurse Phyllis to have my dressing changed today, I'm
going to tell her I'm a sapiosexual and note her reaction.

Gordon H

6 Jun 2012, 06:19:5006/06/2012
In message <jqmb6m$dkk$1...@dont-email.me>, Farm1
<Her...@owenothing.com.au> writes
My newspaper said yesterday that they were afraid to sit on those two
horrible red thrones in case the colour 'ran' onto her white dress!
I can understand that. ;-)

Janet

6 Jun 2012, 09:07:0006/06/2012
In article <dryQxADv...@g3snx.demon.co.uk>,
Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid says...

> In message <jqmbsu$gjg$1...@dont-email.me>, Farm1
> <Her...@owenothing.com.au> writes
> >
> >Many, many years ago, long before Charles was married the first time and he
> >still didn't even have a steady known girlfriend, I remember reading a
> >'prophesy' from an Indian chap in one of the Australian women's mags. At
> >that time the only ?Australian women'd mags were the Australian Women's
> >Weekly, the New Idea or the Woman's Day so it was in one of those.
> >
> >An Idian chap (as in from the Subcontinent) said that the next monarch would
> >be called William. I remembered it because given those in the line of
> >succession who were then alive, he should have said that the next Monarch
> >would be called Charles. I was scratching my head as to who this 'William'
> >could possibly be. Of course now we do have a William and I keep remebering
> >that prophesy every time I see either Cahrles or William.
> >
> You have to remember that most Royal male children are given a string of
> names, usually George, Henry, William and Charles at least. ;-)
> Then they choose one name to be dominant.

The name Kings are crowned, is not necessarily the name they use in
private life. For instance the Queen's father King George, was always
Bertie to friends and family. His brother King Edward, was always known as
David. It's very possible that Charles will be crowned some other name, to
avoid any connotations associated with two previous King Charles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4557924.stm

Janet

Gordon H

6 Jun 2012, 10:08:5406/06/2012
In message <MPG.2a3957d31...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Janet <H...@invalid.net> writes
>In article <dryQxADv...@g3snx.demon.co.uk>,
>Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid says...
>>
>> You have to remember that most Royal male children are given a string of
>> names, usually George, Henry, William and Charles at least. ;-)
>> Then they choose one name to be dominant.
>
> The name Kings are crowned, is not necessarily the name they use in
>private life. For instance the Queen's father King George, was always
>Bertie to friends and family. His brother King Edward, was always known as
>David. It's very possible that Charles will be crowned some other name, to
>avoid any connotations associated with two previous King Charles.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4557924.stm
>
> Janet

Quite. Or he could be King Arfur, and have a round table..

Jean B.

6 Jun 2012, 19:18:2506/06/2012
Bobbie wrote:
> Didn't she do well?
> Didn't the good old British public do well in the pouring rain?
> Did I hear that the monarchy was to be dissolved and all their worldly
> goods given to the poor?
> No?
> Shame?
> Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of admiration for the Queen.
> Can you imagine?
> President Cameron. Ugh!
> President Blair. worse Ugh!
> Had a marvellous weekend. The birthday knees-up was a great success...
> Nice lot of posts to read.
>
> Bobbie

So this was a doubly exciting time for you. Yes, that was quite a
tribute. Too bad Prince Philip missed so much of the celebration.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

6 Jun 2012, 19:22:5906/06/2012
Joan F (MI) wrote:
> Here's one for you:
>
> sapiosexual (n.) - a person who is sexually attracted to intelligence in
> others.

Aha! That describes me!!!
--
Jean B.