Quentin Tarantino sued by Don Murphy

sk...@wam.umd.edu

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

Does Murphy have enough of a case to win $5 million? For what was
described as a series of slaps get you $5 mil and cause mental pain?
-------------------------------------------------------------------- From
Variety:

Film producer Don Murphy sued "Pulp Fiction" director Quentin Tarantino
for $5 million Friday, accusing the movie wunderkind assaulted him in a
trendy Hollywood eatery.

In his suit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Murphy said Tarantino
threatened him, then slammed him against a wall and
punched and slapped him.

The unprovoked attack was so violent that Tarantino broke his watch strap
while hitting him at the fasionable Ago restaurant in
West Hollywood, Murphy said.

As a result, Murphy said he sustained head and hand injuries that are
still causing "great mental and physical pain and suffering."

Murphy is seeking at least $5 million in general and punitive damages,
medical expenses and lost earnings.

The suit does not specify why Tarantino approached Murphy in the first
place, but after the Oct. 22 confrontation, Tarantino's
spokeswoman said it was because Murphy had been "bad-mouthing" Tarantino
around town.

Tarantino himself said afterwards, "I really slapped some respect into the
guy. ... We shook hands and agreed not to badmouth
each other anymore."

Their feud apparently stems from Oliver Stone's movie "Natural Born
Killers" on which they both worked -- Tarantino as original screenwriter
and Murphy as one of the film's producers.

The restaurant brawl came just after Murphy's producing partner Jane
Hamsher published a book "Killer Instinct," a behind-the-scenes look at
"Natural Born Killers" that painted an unflattering portrait of
Tarantino.

A Los Angeles Sheriff's deputy was called to the restaurant, but no
criminal charges were filed.

Stephen Gilliard

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

>Their feud apparently stems from Oliver Stone's movie "Natural Born
>Killers" on which they both worked -- Tarantino as original screenwriter
>and Murphy as one of the film's producers.
>
>The restaurant brawl came just after Murphy's producing partner Jane
>Hamsher published a book "Killer Instinct," a behind-the-scenes look at
>"Natural Born Killers" that painted an unflattering portrait of
>Tarantino.

You have to wonder about these guys.

Hamsher and Murphy seem like they have a bigger death wish than Julia
Phillips. At least she was a hasbeen when she told tales out of
school. These people are deluded enough to trash the people they work
with and then wonder why they get pissed.

Like anyone would work with these people again.

Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?

Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.

You know, this may seem odd, but I have a lot more sympathy for
Tarantino than these two, and here's why:

These spoiled yuppies think they can say anything, do anything and not
have people react. No one opened one fucking door for Tarantino. No
one asked him to join their club. He did it on merit. He did it on the
quality of his work.

Now he may have been a shit or a pure egotist. Fine. He's an asshole.
Hollywood is filled with them. You either deal with it or don't play.

I don't know of one thing these people did that makes one fucking
difference in the world. They produce movies. They don't act in them,
they don't write them. They produce movies.

I can imagine exactly why Tarantino kicked the shit out of this guy.

You get these fucking people, who's only role in life is to act like
they do something. I can imagine their "helpful" suggestions and
"good" ideas. They think they create something.

So, the project is done. One where Tarantino was unhappy pretty much
from the begining. And what do these people do? Write a book and make
themselves into heroes while he's an asshole.

These people don't write, they don't direct. They carp. They tell the
world the "inside" story, one where they look like heroes instead of
the cloying middle managers that they so obviously are. They shit on
people when the day is done and wonder in amazement why someone might
be pissed at them.

Now, I don't have a problem with people telling their stories. But I
don't like these people. I don't like them one bit, because they are
so full of themselves it annoys me. They get to trash reputations
because they know the famous people won't trash back. After all, you'd
look stupid attacking some producer.

But Murphy went after Tarantino's reputation, which is how he gets on
in Hollywood. Publicly, and in a way that hurts.

So, now, even after a handshake, Murphy, runs like a total bitch,
into court. I mean, what a pussy, gutless move. If he wanted to
complain, have him arrested, or fight back. Don't run to court like a
punk bitch. Especially after shaking on it and basically agreeing to
forget about it.

Murphy is hardly an innocent here. He and his partner did go after the
man. And while I dislike the phony tough guy crap common in Hollywood,
this says a lot more about the kind of man Murphy isn't than the kind
of man Tarantino is.

>A Los Angeles Sheriff's deputy was called to the restaurant, but no
>criminal charges were filed.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/7600
The Gilliard News

Jesse Garon

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

gill...@bigfoot.com (Stephen Gilliard) writes:
>Hamsher and Murphy seem like they have a bigger death wish than Julia
>Phillips. At least she was a hasbeen when she told tales out of
>school. These people are deluded enough to trash the people they work
>with and then wonder why they get pissed.

Don Murphy didn't have anything to do with writing the book, apart
from posing for the jacket photo.

>Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?
>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.

Say, aren't you the same guy who hopes Sidney Blumenthal convinces
a bunch of people Matt Drudge damaged his reputation?

>These spoiled yuppies think they can say anything, do anything and not
>have people react.

Yuppies? Have you READ "Killer Instinct," Stephen? And there IS a
difference between expecting people to 'react' and expecting them
to go bugfuck in the middle of a restaurant in broad daylight.

>I don't know of one thing these people did that makes one fucking
>difference in the world. They produce movies. They don't act in them,
>they don't write them. They produce movies.

Oh, I see. The people who write movies and act in them, THEY make a
difference, but the people who actually get the movies MADE don't.
That's smart logic there, Tex.

>I can imagine exactly why Tarantino kicked the shit out of this guy.

I can too, and the phrase "high as a kite" is a key part of it.
But that's just my imagination, of course.

>You get these fucking people, who's only role in life is to act like
>they do something. I can imagine their "helpful" suggestions and
>"good" ideas. They think they create something.

No, they think, quite rightfully, that they bought a screenplay off
a guy and they get to do what they want with it once they own it.

>Now, I don't have a problem with people telling their stories. But I
>don't like these people. I don't like them one bit, because they are
>so full of themselves it annoys me. They get to trash reputations
>because they know the famous people won't trash back. After all, you'd
>look stupid attacking some producer.

Unless, of course, you actually ATTACK them with your fists.

>But Murphy went after Tarantino's reputation, which is how he gets on
>in Hollywood. Publicly, and in a way that hurts.

Murphy said precious little about it. Hamsher's the one who wrote
the book. If Tarantino has a problem, he should fight her. All of
Hollywood knows Quentin doesn't have a problem with hitting women.

>So, now, even after a handshake, Murphy, runs like a total bitch,
>into court. I mean, what a pussy, gutless move. If he wanted to
>complain, have him arrested, or fight back. Don't run to court like a
>punk bitch. Especially after shaking on it and basically agreeing to
>forget about it.

Well, had Tarantino kept his end of the bargain, I'm sure that's what
would have happened. Hell, Tarantino WAS in the back of the police car,
all set to go to jail, until a Weinstein brother saved his ass. And then
he goes on television and brags about beating on the guy? I say Murphy's
got every dime of that five million dollars coming to him, just to teach
Quentin how to keep his mouth shut.

Tarantino's big mouth was bound to get him in trouble sooner or later.
Apparently all those movies he watched at Video Archives made him think
he could walk around beating people up.

"Jesse Garon": the God damnedest mass of tact known to the human race
gri...@primenet.com http://www.primenet.com/~grifter/jesse.html

Monysmom

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

>Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?
>
>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.

Well, actually, he didn't file suit, it appears, until after QT went on late
night talk shows and kept braggiing about "bitch-slapping " Murphy and said
somthing like "There's nothing like a good uitch-slap to humiliate someone".
If QT had the sense to keep his mouth shut, the problem probably would have
stayed out court, as their mutual friend had previously arranged.

Monysmom

Jesse Garon

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

gill...@bigfoot.com (Stephen Gilliard) writes:
>On 18 Nov 1997 23:19:18 GMT, mony...@aol.com (Monysmom) wrote:

Stephen moans:

>>>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.

>>Well, actually, he didn't file suit, it appears, until after QT went on late
>> night talk shows and kept braggiing about "bitch-slapping " Murphy and said
>> somthing like "There's nothing like a good uitch-slap to humiliate someone".
>> If QT had the sense to keep his mouth shut, the problem probably would have
>> stayed out court, as their mutual friend had previously arranged.

>What's worse: having a book where you're depicted as an asshole for
>hundreds of pages or being humiliated on TV.

Being humiliated on TV. Nobody in the industry actually READS books
that aren't being vetted for their adaptability.

>If I was Murphy, I'd save my money. Because he, not Tarantino, started
>this mess.

How so? Jane Hamsher wrote the book, not Don Murphy.

Mesha Nova

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

>>Their feud apparently stems from Oliver Stone's movie "Natural Born
>>Killers" on which they both worked -- Tarantino as original screenwriter
>>and Murphy as one of the film's producers.
>>
>>The restaurant brawl came just after Murphy's producing partner Jane
>>Hamsher published a book "Killer Instinct," a behind-the-scenes look at
>>"Natural Born Killers" that painted an unflattering portrait of
>>Tarantino.
>>
>You have to wonder about these guys.
>
>Hamsher and Murphy seem like they have a bigger death wish than Julia
>Phillips. At least she was a hasbeen when she told tales out of
>school. These people are deluded enough to trash the people they work
>with and then wonder why they get pissed.
>
>Like anyone would work with these people again.
>
>Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?
>
>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.
>
>You know, this may seem odd, but I have a lot more sympathy for
>Tarantino than these two, and here's why:

Sorry, I don't have as much sympathy for Tarantino, and
here's why, what they wrote about him in the book wasn't
that bad. Oliver Stone said much worse things about Tarantino
and vice-versa. Should they "Slap some respect into each
other" and "not bad-mouth each other around town".
No, it's called freedom of the press, and if you have
a problem with it then vocalize your opinions right back.
God knows Oliver Stone has. In fact the joke is it wouldn't
be a Oliver Stone interview if he didn't make someone
feel like total shit.
Violence is not a solution to your problems.
kiddies, never has never will be
As for Tarantino, I still admire his films and think his work
is great and look forward to his next endeavor, however
as to his character, well I'm not so sure about. Remember
this is life not a scene out of Goodfellas.

Just my .02 worth

Mesha Nova

Stephen Gilliard

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

On 18 Nov 1997 23:19:18 GMT, mony...@aol.com (Monysmom) wrote:

>>Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?
>>
>>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.
>>

>Well, actually, he didn't file suit, it appears, until after QT went on late
> night talk shows and kept braggiing about "bitch-slapping " Murphy and said
> somthing like "There's nothing like a good uitch-slap to humiliate someone".
> If QT had the sense to keep his mouth shut, the problem probably would have
> stayed out court, as their mutual friend had previously arranged.
>

>Monysmom

What's worse: having a book where you're depicted as an asshole for
hundreds of pages or being humiliated on TV.

If I was Murphy, I'd save my money. Because he, not Tarantino, started
this mess.

Stephen Gilliard

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

On 19 Nov 1997 07:11:11 GMT, mesh...@aol.com (Mesha Nova) wrote:

>>>Their feud apparently stems from Oliver Stone's movie "Natural Born
>>>Killers" on which they both worked -- Tarantino as original screenwriter
>>>and Murphy as one of the film's producers.
>>>
>>>The restaurant brawl came just after Murphy's producing partner Jane
>>>Hamsher published a book "Killer Instinct," a behind-the-scenes look at
>>>"Natural Born Killers" that painted an unflattering portrait of
>>>Tarantino.
>>>
>>You have to wonder about these guys.
>>
>>Hamsher and Murphy seem like they have a bigger death wish than Julia
>>Phillips. At least she was a hasbeen when she told tales out of
>>school. These people are deluded enough to trash the people they work
>>with and then wonder why they get pissed.
>>
>>Like anyone would work with these people again.
>>

>>Now they drag Tarantino into court? Why?
>>
>>Hey, Murphy should have hit him back, not run to the lawyers.
>>

>>You know, this may seem odd, but I have a lot more sympathy for
>>Tarantino than these two, and here's why:
>
>Sorry, I don't have as much sympathy for Tarantino, and
>here's why, what they wrote about him in the book wasn't
>that bad.

To you. What about his friends, his family. The people he works with.
It wasn't that bad is not really a defense for shitting on someone.

> Oliver Stone said much worse things about Tarantino
>and vice-versa. Should they "Slap some respect into each
>other" and "not bad-mouth each other around town".

No. But I can't buy a book with their comments and a spin to make one
of them look bad. Tarantino would be an idiot to attempt to slap
Stone, the decorated Vietnam Vet around.

Here's my problem: these two tangential people are trying to boost
their reputation by shitting on people they worked with. It's a low
act.

>No, it's called freedom of the press, and if you have
>a problem with it then vocalize your opinions right back.

I'm a writer. I understand all about freedom of the press. But these
people didn't play fair. I'm not saying Tarantino should have slapped
him around. But, these people are climbing on his back to make their
name. They enhanced their reputation at his expense. The stuff he did
and said around them was not for public consumption. Was he an
asshole? Probably. But when he went after Stone, it was about the
work.

You have freedom of the press. But you can't be surprised when your
words harm people. That's a professional obligation. Your words have
impact. You have to know that. He's hardly the first person who got
into a punch up over what they wrote or their partner wrote. And he
won't be the last.

>God knows Oliver Stone has. In fact the joke is it wouldn't
>be a Oliver Stone interview if he didn't make someone
>feel like total shit.

Yeah, but that's an occuaptional hazard. He's full of himself. He uses
his ego to make himself feel better. In RL, he's not exactly popular.
Want to see people turn red with anger, walk into a room of Vietnam
Vets and mention his name. Hoo boy. He is no hero to them. None at
all.

> Violence is not a solution to your problems.
>kiddies, never has never will be

Nope. But don't piss on my leg and expect me to smile. Hamsher pissed
on him and Murphy was shocked there was a reaction. Sorry, some people
take what you say harder than others.

>As for Tarantino, I still admire his films and think his work
>is great and look forward to his next endeavor, however
>as to his character, well I'm not so sure about. Remember
>this is life not a scene out of Goodfellas.

No, because if it was, he would have shot him and buried him in the
San Gabriel Mountains. I think he handled it poorly. But if Murphy was
any kind of a man, he would have written it off. You write about
people, some get pissed, you deal with it., Or you charge him with
assault. Not run to court to make more money off his name.

>Just my .02 worth
>
>Mesha Nova

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/7600
The Gilliard News