Ted Casablanca's hints on the Liz Smith blind item

kir...@jumpnet.com

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

Hey guys-

If you haven't read Ted's new column at E!Online, he reveals a few clues
as to the identity of the currently-closeted gay person in that Liz Smith
column:

1) It's a she.
2) It isn't Candice Bergen.
3) It's a "long-running TV icon" who will be coming out as soon as her
current contract ends.
4) The name of the person is mentioned somewhere in his column this week
(in another context).

This much is certain: it *HAS* to be either Oprah Winfrey or Barbara
Walters. They're the only two female TV icons mentioned in this week's
column (besides Bergen, who Ted specifically says is not the woman in
question). The problem is there's absolutely NO way to figure out which
one of them it is!! Both have longtime male companions (Stedman and Sen.
John Warner) that they've never gotten around to marrying (for whatever
reason - obviously in one of their cases it's because of the l______
thing); both having TV careers which are "winding down" (the Winfrey
show has been on for ages, as has 20/20); and either one of them coming
out would *definitely* cause gargantuan repercussions.

So who could it be? Walters has had a very lengthy career and is getting
towards the age where she might want to retire, so her coming out
wouldn't really damage her career. Oprah, OTOH, has revealed plenty of
dirt about her private life before (unlike Walters, who is generally
kinda quiet about it), and seeing as she's worth well over $100 million,
if coming out did affect her career she doesn't exactly need the money
anyway. Oprah was also on the "Ellen" outing episode, plus she
interviewed Ellen and Anne Heche that same day, which could definitely be
subtle hints. Still...it could be either one.

I'm stumped, kiddies. My gut tells me it's Winfrey (especially given her
relationship with Gayle what's-her-name, that local TV broadcaster), but
my 'dar tells me it's Walters (can't explain why).

Jeff

Stephen Gilliard

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

>You're right about this being a tough one to guess. Wouldn't it be
>*wild* if it turned out to be Jane Pauley though? Middle America would
>just shit a brick.

I don't know. Jane did have the twins and all. No one ever suggested
she played on her own team. It's possible, but a divorce might have
come first, you know.

What would she say? I'm a lesbian, but I'm still married and have sex
with my husband?

This is hard, kinda like the AB Calculus AP exam, but for gossip.

>-vince-
>who would have lost vast sums by betting on Candice and who is sending
>his gaydar in for a tune-up

http://www.interport.net/~gilliard
The Gilliard News

Craig Smith

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

On Thu, 15 May 1997 23:38:54 GMT, jf...@erols.com (Jeanne M. Fiander)
wrote:

>No question about the repercussions, but...Walters career is hardly
>"winding down", I think. She has a new talk show in the works--a
>daytime deal, with a panel of commentators/reporters exploring the
>"issues of the day". I don't recall whether the show is definitely
>a go, but it doesn't appear that Barbara's going anywhere soon.
>
>I would absolutely *love* it if Oprah was indeed the answer
>to this blind item. It seems, however, that she's been making
>a great deal of "I'm not gay" sort of statements of late. (Perhaps
>because she knows that she's the most obvious answer to
>Liz's item?) If she were truly thinking of coming out, wouldn't
>she be paving the way rather than trying to stem speculation?
>
>Alas, I'm reluctantly concluding that Ted's hints point directly to
>Helen Hunt. She is mentioned in his column and that "Happy
>hunting!" remark can't easily be ignored. Granted, I don't consider
>her an "icon" nor a "role model to millions", but, given the extreme
>level of hyperbole generally found in blind items, Helen could be very
>well be our girl. ASGers may be completely underwhelmed
>to see Helen step out of the closet, but her emergence would
>definitely fuck with any number of less perceptive heads.

Jeanne, I think you're right on the money, in all of your analysis. And
she certainly fits the "long-time star" clue, having been on television and
the movies since her childhood. Rumors have been rampant about her for
years, including a sighting of her lip-locked with a woman in lesbian bar
recently. (And her role in "Twister" was the most butch performance I've
seen from a woman since Sigourney Weaver did "Aliens.")

My only question: what statement is Hank Azaria going to make? That they
were "just friends" all this time? That she's really bi? That he was a
beard? That his role in "Birdcage" had more truth about it than we
supposed? What?

Craig
___________________

"Please let us to enjoy sexing as funny as possible." --Anonymous spammer

3finger

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

In article <5lg6qn$8...@winter.erols.com>, jf...@erols.com (Jeanne M.
Fiander) wrote:

> Alas, I'm reluctantly concluding that Ted's hints point directly to
> Helen Hunt. She is mentioned in his column and that "Happy
> hunting!" remark can't easily be ignored. Granted, I don't consider
> her an "icon" nor a "role model to millions", but, given the extreme
> level of hyperbole generally found in blind items, Helen could be very
> well be our girl. ASGers may be completely underwhelmed
> to see Helen step out of the closet, but her emergence would
> definitely fuck with any number of less perceptive heads.

And Helen is saying that next year is her last on Mad About You. Hmmm....

3finger

Tina S

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

kir...@jumpnet.com wrote in article <8637197...@dejanews.com>...

> I'm stumped, kiddies. My gut tells me it's Winfrey (especially given her
> relationship with Gayle what's-her-name, that local TV broadcaster), but
> my 'dar tells me it's Walters (can't explain why).

I think it's Walters. Between the "running-down" reference -- Oprah seems
as powerful as ever, while Walters must be close to retirement -- and
Walters "engagement" to the hyper-closeted red-baiter Roy Cohn in the 50's,
for me there's no argument. She certainly is a role model as one of the
first female broadcasting stars. Also, Walters reveals little about her
private life, so such a revelation would be truly shocking.

Lke0213

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

smith...@mindspring.com (Craig Smith) wrote:

<<>Alas, I'm reluctantly concluding that Ted's hints point directly to
>Helen Hunt. She is mentioned in his column and that "Happy
>hunting!" remark can't easily be ignored. Granted, I don't consider
>her an "icon" nor a "role model to millions", but, given the extreme
>level of hyperbole generally found in blind items, Helen could be very
>well be our girl. ASGers may be completely underwhelmed
>to see Helen step out of the closet, but her emergence would
>definitely fuck with any number of less perceptive heads.

Jeanne, I think you're right on the money, in all of your analysis. And

she certainly fits the "long-time star" clue, having been on television
and
the movies since her childhood. Rumors have been rampant about her for
years, including a sighting of her lip-locked with a woman in lesbian bar
recently. (And her role in "Twister" was the most butch performance I've
seen from a woman since Sigourney Weaver did "Aliens.")

My only question: what statement is Hank Azaria going to make? That they
were "just friends" all this time? That she's really bi? That he was a
beard? That his role in "Birdcage" had more truth about it than we
supposed? What?

Craig>>

That reminds me. In the current TV Guide, there's a little item about next
year between Helen Hunt's last on "Mad About You." The item says she wants
to make films and spend time with her "guy pal," Hank Azaria. When I first
read that, I thought it said "gay pal" LOL. Hmm, maybe TV Guide is sending
a subliminal message?

Guess this place has warped my mind, or maybe it was warped before.

Laura

danak

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

> | >My only question: what statement is Hank Azaria going to make? That they
> | >were "just friends" all this time? That she's really bi? That he was a
> | >beard? That his role in "Birdcage" had more truth about it than we
> | >supposed? What?
> | .
> | Might pose a few interesting questions for Matthew Broderick, too!
>
> Does this cause a ripple effect that spreads onward to Sarah Jessica,
> then, to Robert Downey, Jr.? I got lost at the jump to MB, so, ...
>
> 'One of the RATS Donnas & Mouse Pushing Wacko, DonnaB
> 'Vote For YOUR Emmy Winners at http://www.delphi.com/soapopera/emmys.html

Although my gaydar has been wrong many times, I've always thought Sarah
was a beard and possible L_________ herself to Robert Downey Jr. and
Matthew B. Check out that cute little wiggle in Robert's walk in the
movie 'Short Cuts.'

Stephen Gilliard

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

>My only question: what statement is Hank Azaria going to make? That they
>were "just friends" all this time? That she's really bi? That he was a
>beard? That his role in "Birdcage" had more truth about it than we
>supposed? What?
>
>Craig>>

What could he say?

Hank: "So, Steve, where do you go when your ex-girlfriend comes out?"

Steve:"Cabo San Lucas. Fishing is a good way to get your mind off of
things."

Hank: "Really? Should I send a fax around trying to explain myself?"

Steve: "Fuck no. Are you crazy? I sent a fax out and everyone laughed
at me. Look, when Anne decided to fall in love with Ellen on TV I was
drunk for days. Look, Hank, you wanna be out of the country when Helen
goes on Oprah. Give it a week or two and Eddie Murphy will be sucking
toes or something. Just get lost."

Hank: "Lost?"

Steve: "Lost enough so phone calls can't reach you. And master that
contrite, 'we're still friends' line or whatever.' You'll need it when
you get back.."

Kingsrow

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

Barbara MacRae wrote:

> In article <337be187...@news.interport.net> gill...@interport.net (Stephen Gilliard) writes:
> >>You're right about this being a tough one to guess. Wouldn't it be
> >>*wild* if it turned out to be Jane Pauley though? Middle America would
> >>just shit a brick.
> >>

> >I don't know. Jane did have the twins and all. No one ever suggested
> >she played on her own team. It's possible, but a divorce might have
> >come first, you know.
> >
> >What would she say? I'm a lesbian, but I'm still married and have sex
> >with my husband?
>
> Nah. No one would believe THAT.
>
> Heh heh.
>
> -Barb

How about Katie Couric, she certainly looks like a l______?

Kingsrow

wild

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Okay Chicagoians I need the gossip on this show.

It ran in your fair city for a year and is rumoured to be Broadway
bound....What can you tell us about this show?

Is is fabulous...will it blow the dissapointed shows currently on
Broadway out of the water?

Tell all.

R.I. LuSan

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Helen Hunt..................................................!

>(And her role in "Twister" was the most butch performance I've
> seen from a woman since Sigourney Weaver did "Aliens.")

Speaking of Sigourney.....Can we? Please?

AzureBleu

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria recently announced their engagement.

mel...@qnet.com

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

azur...@aol.com (AzureBleu) wrote:

>Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria recently announced their engagement.

Azurebleu, before becoming a candidate for AOLoser of the month, go
read the anti-FAQ. *NaNcY* (asterix fixed, guys!) posted it just a
couple of days ago. Read it.

************************************
mel...@qnet.com
asgtpr#237
official asg hillbilly

"The radical invents the views. When he has worn them
out, the conservative adopts them." Mark Twain

"I do not pretend to know, where many an ignorant man
is sure -- that is all `agnosticism' means."
Clarence Darrow

"We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!"
Homer Simpson

AzureBleu

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

>>>Azurebleu, before becoming a candidate for AOLoser of the month, go
read the anti-FAQ. <<<

LOL, do they require that all participants accept at face value ridiculous
drivel about celebrities sexuality?

mel...@qnet.com

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

azur...@aol.com (AzureBleu) wrote:

Kiddo, just go read it...please...you're only making the situation
worse.

Jesse Garon

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

mel...@qnet.com writes:
>>read the anti-FAQ. <<<

>>LOL, do they require that all participants accept at face value ridiculous
>>drivel about celebrities sexuality?

>Kiddo, just go read it...please...you're only making the situation worse.

And if you persist in this attitude, we'll have to find your home address
and phone number and post it, which is okay, since you're not famous.

"Jesse Garon": the God damnedest mass of tact known to the human race
gri...@primenet.com http://www.primenet.com/~grifter/jesse.html