ASSC-History of Lap Dancing?

noman

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

I was just reviewing the web site for Flashdancers in NYC, which claims
to be the first club to bring table dancing to NYC (I happen to remember
this as true). It started me wondering--in what city/cities were table
dancing, lap dancing and couch dancing first offered? I think in
Memphis I saw advertisements for "Texas style" dancing. Is that the
beginning? But when did Tampa become so big on nude dancing?

Anyone know?

noman

Z Bone

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In Los Angeles, the first time I found full contact lap dancing was at
Deja Vu, Ontario (called Eyefull) on or about 1988(?). RJ might know
the exact year since he was a fan of that club before they went down the
drain. POOCH?

I'm pretty sure Tampa had laps before that year because I started
hearing about Mon's around that time from dancers.

--
Z Bone

Z Bone's LA Strip Club Connection
http://1worldnet.com/zbone/

LEBOKIKI

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I am trying to remember what I read a while back, sorry to say my brain is
medium-well to well done and in dire need of a weekend ASSCing vacation,
but i recall a story that the lap dance originated in an old west saloon ,
perhaps, Kansas City, where the saloon girl slipped and fell into a
patron's lap. Well it seems the patron was thrilled and tipped her, and
the rest is history.She continued to slip and fall on men's laps nightly
after that.
Anyone remember the details?

pab...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Lap Dancing Began (from memory) at Rick's in Houston circa 1982/1983. They called it Couch Dancing. They had these psychiatrists couches (20-25) where the girl would dance around, on, and upon the customer.

I believe Playboy had an article on it around 1984.

Soon after it began to spread to various clubs in Houston and Dallas alike. It of course began to mutate a la Lap-Andromeda Syndrome.

Hasta,
Pablo
aka
Arzach

WookMan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:56:05 -0500, noman <gre...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I was just reviewing the web site for Flashdancers in NYC, which claims
>to be the first club to bring table dancing to NYC (I happen to remember
>this as true). It started me wondering--in what city/cities were table
>dancing, lap dancing and couch dancing first offered? I think in
>Memphis I saw advertisements for "Texas style" dancing. Is that the
>beginning? But when did Tampa become so big on nude dancing?
>
>Anyone know?

Those were the good old days! I can remember my first trip into the
Mons as a wide-eyed high school senior - or was it junior?! - in the
spring of 1974. Nude dances on the stage were going on strong then.
Upstairs in the saucer at the 2001 (yes, it's that old) the dances
were only topless but the girls stood on a low table so that her
crotch was right in your face. Details are sketchy.

At this time, liquor was still allowed in the nude clubs but I can
remeber having to leave the Tanga and go to a separate small building
for the nude lap dances. The Tanga also use to have one long stage
that ran the entire length of the building. Sort of like the current
three stages connected by runways. The Mons was pretty much the same
as it is now, except less expensive.

So, to make a long story short, Tampa was offering nude dances and
laps as early as mid 1974.

WookMan
I am the Original Walking Carpet...
woo...@gte.net
Florida Gators = 1996 National Champs !

Mr. John R. Viola

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Hasn't anyone mentioned the likely originator of lap dancing, the
Melody Theatre in NYC (the ancestor of the Harmony). At least as early
as the late '70s, the Melody had "Mardi Gras" which was lap dancing.

CMG

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

WookMan wrote:

>Those were the good old days! I can remember my first trip into the
>Mons as a wide-eyed high school senior - or was it junior?! - in the
>spring of 1974.

Wow! Are you sure you aren't off by a decade, Wook? I had always heard
that Mons opened in the early 80s.

Nude dances on the stage were going on strong then.
>Upstairs in the saucer at the 2001 (yes, it's that old) the dances

Heh heh. Scams are always older than you figure.

>were only topless but the girls stood on a low table so that her
>crotch was right in your face. Details are sketchy.
>
>At this time, liquor was still allowed in the nude clubs but I can
>remeber having to leave the Tanga and go to a separate small building
>for the nude lap dances. The Tanga also use to have one long stage
>that ran the entire length of the building. Sort of like the current
>three stages connected by runways.

The Tanga goes back that far? Here again, I always heard that it was much
younger. But, hey, if a Wookie tells me it's so, I'm not gonna make a
scene.

>The Mons was pretty much the same
>as it is now, except less expensive.
>
>So, to make a long story short, Tampa was offering nude dances and
>laps as early as mid 1974.

Actually, I'd like to hear the long version sometime. I bet you've got
some wild tales from 23 years down there.

CMG

Vaxhacker

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

pab...@aol.com wrote:

> Lap Dancing Began (from memory) at Rick's in Houston circa 1982/1983. They called it Couch Dancing. They had these psychiatrists couches (20-25) where the girl would dance around, on, and upon the customer.

Nope. MBT called in "New York City Live" back around 1980-81. And with
one of the patron, he already had several stories about it. (Ah, the old
days, when a dollar would get you a lap, and two could get you something
more.)
--
Vaxhacker

May The Source Be With You... Always.

WookMan

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:29:23 -0500, cgo...@ix.netcom.com (CMG) wrote:

>WookMan wrote:
>
>>Those were the good old days! I can remember my first trip into the
>>Mons as a wide-eyed high school senior - or was it junior?! - in the
>>spring of 1974.
>
>Wow! Are you sure you aren't off by a decade, Wook? I had always heard
>that Mons opened in the early 80s.

Clearly remember the 2001 and the Tanga in the late '70's. Don't
really remember the Mons though... Could always run down to the
courthouse and go through the Public Records. I think it came after
the Tanga.

>The Tanga goes back that far? Here again, I always heard that it was much
>younger. But, hey, if a Wookie tells me it's so, I'm not gonna make a
>scene.

Wise move. Would hate to have to rip your arms out of thier
sockets...

>Actually, I'd like to hear the long version sometime. I bet you've got
>some wild tales from 23 years down there.

I remember the friends, the enemies, the dances and the dancers -
especialy the dancers.

CMG

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

WookMan wrote:

>Clearly remember the 2001 and the Tanga in the late '70's. Don't
>really remember the Mons though... Could always run down to the
>courthouse and go through the Public Records. I think it came after
>the Tanga.

No need to play Paul Drake, Wook. But, hey, thanks for the offer. Why not
just pick out the oldest dancer and count her teeth?

>>The Tanga goes back that far? Here again, I always heard that it was much
>>younger. But, hey, if a Wookie tells me it's so, I'm not gonna make a
>>scene.
>
>Wise move. Would hate to have to rip your arms out of thier
>sockets...

Last person to try that with me was a dancer at 2001. She didn't get me to
buy a dance, but she might not have had your strength.

>>Actually, I'd like to hear the long version sometime. I bet you've got
>>some wild tales from 23 years down there.
>
>I remember the friends, the enemies, the dances and the dancers -
>especialy the dancers.

Gee thanks, Wookie. That was wild, but, you know, I kinda expected it to
be longer...

CMG

Ken Springer

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Lap dancing started in New York in a place called the Melody Theater
on about 48th street in the early 70's, about 73 if memory serves me
right. The Melody was later closed down the owner then opened what in
now the Harmony Theater. By the way for those of you who have been to
the Harmony, the action is extreamly mild compaired to the old Melody.

>noman wrote:
>>
>> I was just reviewing the web site for Flashdancers in NYC, which claims
>> to be the first club to bring table dancing to NYC (I happen to remember
>> this as true). It started me wondering--in what city/cities were table
>> dancing, lap dancing and couch dancing first offered? I think in
>> Memphis I saw advertisements for "Texas style" dancing. Is that the
>> beginning? But when did Tampa become so big on nude dancing?
>>
>> Anyone know?

daveb

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

kspr...@mail.phoenix.net (Ken Springer) wrote:

>Lap dancing started in New York in a place called the Melody Theater
>on about 48th street in the early 70's, about 73 if memory serves me
>right. The Melody was later closed down the owner then opened what in
>now the Harmony Theater. By the way for those of you who have been to
>the Harmony, the action is extreamly mild compaired to the old Melody.

That's an understatement. In those more innocent (pre-AIDS, even
pre-herpes {remember herpes?} standard lap dances (albeit not a whole
song) were $1, and for those with $5 and stage-side seats the dancers
were spread-eagled and accepting oral sex. And hand jobs along the
outside walls were pretty common as well!

Murf

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Ahhh, the age of innocence...

Then again, sex was loose and crazy back then: you could get laid a WHOLE
lot easier than you can today...

I 'spose that kinda 'competition' kept the prices low, eh?

Now a 'dollar dance' lasts about 8 measures... :)
Remove '*' from EMail address to reply:
character was inserted to annoy mass mailing jerks

gregg wright

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

arthur wrote:

> noman <gre...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> ><snip>
> >

> I just had to say I like your nickname.
> From the odessy or iliad, Fill us in.
Ha! Finally, someone got the reference (or at least acknowledged it).
Congratulations and thanks.

noman (revealed)

Lil' Davie

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

bamu...@primenet.com* (Murf) wrote:

>In article <5efv82$g...@nnrp4.farm.idt.net>, da...@daveb.com (daveb) wrote:

<snip>

>Now a 'dollar dance' lasts about 8 measures... :)

In America maybe. With a Canadian dollar, you might get a kick in the
shins for being a smart ass....
;)

Lil' Davie
hun...@colosseum.com

arthur

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

I forget who, but i saw you called Norman,once.
Odesy or Iliad?
my memory is failing me.