Repost from "new guy says hi"

Ron Barnhart

May 21, 2001, 1:20:05 AM5/21/01
Hi All,

There is a thread going on way up the list that has turned out to be extremely
important. Some of the information posted can impact the group based on
perception and knowledge. The thread is "new guy says hi". If you can still
access these posts, I recommend you read them in order to understand the
context of the conversation. Below, I am reposting my latest response to this
thread. I feel the information presented is extremely important for the group
and hope you will find it useful. If you have any questions or comments about
the information I'll be glad to help. If your comments are more related to
the thread in general, please continue the conversation in the orginal thread.
Here is my latest post:

Hi Leon,

You are extremely right in pointing out that there is more involved with
Bruce's success than just self-talk. However, I think we need to make a point
clear. Positive self-talk is a very useful and powerful tool. You brought
out that it is part of a positive attitude and self-esteem. But at the same
time, your post seemed to give the impression that positive self-talk can't do
the things that Bruce mentioned. The fact is that it can. Again, the
distinction must be made that it isn't the only thing you need, but the things
Bruce said were right on the money.

Here's what I can tell you. Self-talk is a part of everyone's life, whether
they realize it or not. Self-talk is the conversation that you have with
yourself in your head all the time. Most people's self talk is negative.
This is because most people live in a negative environment, are around
negative people, and/or have many sources of negative influence. When people
make mistakes, they might say to themselves:

"I always screw up. Why do I do that? I hate it when I do that."

These types of statements influence the subconscious mind. They provide a
clear picture of what type of person we are, how we respond to situations, and
what actions to take based on these pictures.

This in turn influences our self-image and consequently our self-esteem. In
fact, this negative self-talk is a primary cause of low self-esteem (in
addition to other negative influences that fuel the negative self-talk).

Knowing this, it's not hard to see that we can also influence our mind in a
positive way. This is done through positive self-talk. Positive self-talk
influences our subconscious mind in the same way negative self-talk does. It
gives the subconscious mind a clear picture of the type of person we are, the
type of behaviors we display, and the actions that we take based on these
picutres. Again, this influences our self-image and self-esteem in a positve
way. Think about a guided misile that has been programed to hit a target.
That is what positive self-talk (and positive visualization) does. It
provides a clear target for your subconscious mind to go after.

Here's a statement that many people may not have considered, but it is a
scienctific fact: the subconscious mind can not tell the differnce between
reality and that which is vividly imagined. This theory has been tested by
very well-respected scientists, psychologists, and doctors. Dr. Jonas Sulk
and Dr. Denis Waitley are just two of the prominent doctors that have proved
that this is true. They worked with and studied American POW's, Olympic
champions, high-achieving atheletes, and NASA astronauts and determined many
things about how the brain works. The above statement is just one of thier
findings. It shows that it is possibe to say or visualize things about
ourself that aren't currently true, but can actually impact whether or not the
will occur in the future.

Here's one reason why this is true. When you use positive thinking principles
(which is a requirement for positive self-talk), your mind becomes more in
tune with what you want to achieve (particulary if you set realistic goals,
which is what successful people do). When your mind is in tune with what you
want to achieve, it will become intensely aware of anything that might help
you achieve these goals. Without positive thinking, and positive self-talk to
reinforce positive thinking on a regular basis, you would most likely miss out
on, or never even notice, the things that will help you achieve your goals.
It helps to think of positive self-talk as fuel for a positive attitude and a
positive self-image. I know these things not only from scientific evidence,
but also from personal experience.

However, let me restate that much more is needed than just positive self-talk
and positive visualization. In fact, neither of these will be effective
unless you have a positive attitude and good imagination skills (particularly
for visualization). Other things that are necessary are: accurate knowledge,
faith (an expectation based on something not yet realized), a burning desire
to succeed, definiteness of purpose, self-discipline, going the extra mile,
personal initiative, a pleasing personality, controlled attention (or focus),
teamwork, learning from past mistakes, just to name a few.

If you want to achieve something specific you also have to prepare to achieve
it. For example, if you want a masters degree in a particular field, first
you have to have a specific interest in that field and general knowledge of
the subject. You might start by reading every piece of information about the
field that you can get your hands on. Next, you would need an assosiates
degree. This would require the time and money to go to college (not to
mention a high school diploma or equivelent and a general ability to learn).
Next, you need to get a Bachlors degree (at least here in the U.S.), which
would again require that you have an assosiates degree and have the time and
money to do so. Once you have these things, you can go on to get your Masters
degree.

Bruce actually did a fantastic job of describing the principles of positive
self-talk. First they should be short phrases or sentences. Also, they need
to be stated in the positive and in the present tense. In other words, they
need to be stated as if they are already happening or already a reality. They
need to be positive because the brain can't focus on the reverse of an idea.
It focuses on the most dominate thought. For example, if you say: "I don't
want to smoke." The most dominate thought is "smoke". This actually
reinforces the negative behavior. A better way to state this would be: "I
enjoy clean, refreshing air." and "I am a health-conscious person." or "I
always surround myself with a healthy environment". These are just a sample
of what you can use. Another key point is to use positive self-talk when you
first wake up and right before going to bed. Your mind is most receptive to
new input during these two times. Saying positive self-talk out loud and in
front of a mirror is also a good technique. It helps you see yourself as the
person you are describing and you see yourself talking positive about yourself
(which most people never have an opportunity to see). The only part of his
post I saw anything wrong with was: "it really is that simple". It actually
is, but as you pointed out, there is more to it.

I have more information that I can post on positive self-talk and positive
visualization if anyone here in the group would like to learn more about it.

Have a good day.

"Leon Macfayden" <Leon.Ma...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Hi Bruce,
>

>And you truely believe all this happened simply as a result of your
>affirmations and visualisations? All you had to do was get a picture of some
>keys and suddenly, you were off to Florida? Whatever you request in that way
>just happens? I dont know your personal situation, but I know enough to know
>that isnt true. All these things may have aided you to think more positive
>and THEN go and do what is necessary to fufil your wants, but they certainly
>didnt create them for you.
>

>It is absolutely not. You are doing yourself a disservice in fact by
>neglecting to mention the hard work you have put into these projects in
>order to achieve them. You are also misrespresenting these ideas to others
>who I can PROMISE you will now think "Oh well Im off to the mirror and I
>reckon by the end of the week Ill be able to reverse years of self hate by
>chanting I am wonderful". At the end of this period, when they have NO
>results at all they will feel worse off than they already do because they
>will then think "Well it worked for Bruce". Come on Bruce, I know and you
>know these things havent happened quite the way you have stated.
>
>Leon.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Ron Barnhart

May 21, 2001, 12:35:04 PM5/21/01
Hi Ian,

Every contribution can have positive benefits. Even if something isn't clear
or not quite right, when everyone gets together and works on a solution, good
things can result.

Were all here to learn and grow, right? :-)

Have a good day!

"Ian" <ian...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Damn man, i started the whole thing when i arrived! Great to see i have a
>positive effect here! hehe
>
>--
>Ian is here....
>http://www.keleghar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ian
>

>Ron Barnhart <barn...@one.net> wrote in message

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

bruce_cool

May 21, 2001, 11:46:26 PM5/21/01
Leon,

am not sure how you can argue with sucess, but yet I feel I might understand
where you are coming from...especially in a world full of gimmicks. and scams.

I spent four hours today studying for the GMATS. I am not saying that the
affirmations "I am estatically and joyfully recieving a 750 on my GMATS replaces
studying, taking a KAPLAN prep class, and asking everyone you know what they
know. I am saying that in my experience, these affirmations give on the awareness
and motivation to do the work.

Did you ever learn a new word? Then shortly after learning a new work, you start
to notice it every where? Wierd eh? The word was always there, you just never
noticed it because it you were not looking for it...Your mind would never let it
in...kinda like when you want to see someone important but there sercreatry will
not let you in. (All of these ideas are stolen from Jack Canfield, who I feel is
really on track with a l tof this stuff. ) When I use the affirmation "I am
successfully running my own profitable business". I ride down the street and look
at businesses and thinhk about how I might do it. withou tthe affiramtion, during
that time, I'd probably be thinking about sex, the Yankees, the kids, or
something else.

Don't be so quick to argue. I think I know where you are coming from as far as "a
few affirmations don't do everything". Comsider this (this is original, taht is,
I didn't get it from someone else): If I say "To start the car, all you need to
do it have a key and put it in the ignition and turn it....that will start thet
car". You could say "they key does NOT start the...You need a battery with
potential energy in it and a starter motor and a workingm ignitionm system and
gas and oit and air and on a nd on. You are right. But, to start the car, all
you have to do is put the key in it and start.

In sharing with a lot of people I know, I have learned a lot of things that might
be useful to others. I have a full plate right now, but am working on a syllibus
for a class to be taught over several weeks, one night a week, to teach som eof
what I have learned. This is why I have been posting this group, kinda to try out
my wares.

Off to do my affirmations.

Peace

bruce

Al Koz

May 22, 2001, 2:21:37 AM5/22/01
I, for one, am going to give positive affirmations a shot. I've
never done it before, so we can see if it makes a difference.

I know for sure, that I do alot of negative affirmations. I don't
stand in front of a mirror and do it, but I do it in my head all the
time during the day. During any situation that is happening, there
are negative affirmations going on. I don't even notice I'm doing it.
I'll feel uncomfortable in a situation and not know why, but when I
stop to think about it, I realize the feelings are coming from what
I'm thinking. It's not the situation that's making be feel
uncomfortable, it's what I'm saying to myself. I going to keep track
of all the situations where I feel uncomfortable and write down what
I'm thinking. That way I can try to come up with positive things to
say to myself in those situations.

I saw this a long time ago, but don't remember where. It was someones
signature to their email.

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you deal with it.

It makes alot of sense.

Al.

Ron Barnhart

May 23, 2001, 12:48:41 AM5/23/01
Hi Bruce,

Very good examples. The bottom line is you can't argue with results. Keep
doing what works.

Have a great day.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Ron Barnhart

May 23, 2001, 1:00:14 AM5/23/01
Hi Al,

You couldn't be more right. What we say to ourselves on a daily basis affects
how we feel and how we act. It determines our behaviour and our attitude.

If we are constantly feeding our brain a steady diet of negative thoughts, our
subconscious will processes only negative thoughts. This produces negative
attitudes and negative behaviors. This creates a viscious cycle that quickly
gets out of control. All of this also affects our beliefs about ourself. We
tell ourselves that we "can't" and we become a self-fullfilling prophecy.
That reinforces our beliefs and the process continues.

Whether you use positive self-talk or negative self-talk, you will get out
what you put in.

This has been an awesome thread. I hope we can get more thoughts and opinions
on this topic. What it comes down to is learning how the brain works and how
to use it effectively to acheive the results that we want. Positive self-talk
is a key component to obtaining these results.

Have a great day.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

bruce_cool

May 23, 2001, 10:19:50 AM5/23/01
Al, Please beaware that it takes quite a while for noticable changes. I
have been using them for abotu to years. It takes a while.

bruce_cool

May 23, 2001, 11:03:41 AM5/23/01
So... to get more specific on "My Program",

I use Microsoft Power point. I write each affirmation on a slide. I use a huge font so that the phrase "I am worthy of having everything I want" takes up alomost the whole screen. The background is purple, the highest spiritual color (Not sure that makes any difference, but purple is easy on the eyes). The slides flip by, 3 seconds each. I takes about 12 minutes to go throught all of the slides. (I realize that most would think I am a nut for all of this. I agree but again, I am seeing results)

I have a second Power Point Presentation. In the book and audio tape series "The Alladin Factor: How to ask for and Recieve Everything you Want in Every Area of Your life" by Mark Victor Hansen and Jack Canfield (Six tapes....Great!) You can pick these up cheap on Ebay. The authors challenge us to write down 101 things you want. I did this in a Word doc and got to 68! It's hard (And I am really a materialistic person!). Try it! I listened to some tapes on NLP, Nuro Liguistic Programming, that teaches that changes come from having pictures in our mind which move and have color, etc. I took each thing I wanted, and like the affirmations, wrote it on a slide. When I could, I added a picture to the slide. For example "I want to always be caring and loving to my kids." I have a picture I scanned in of the kids. "I want to be in good shape" I found a picture of me when I was in really good shape. For "I want a better relationship with My God" I took a picture of my Church's Alter and scanned it in.

But wait...There's more...

In Canfields tapes series "Self Esteem and Peak Performance" Unabridged version, he has side nine, affirmations. Jack admonishes us to "Repeat each affirmations after you hear me say it. Saying these affirmations in your own voice will help lock it more quickly and deaply into your unconcious mind.:

Oh yeah? Ok Mr. Canfield, I'll do you one better! I went to the library, found a Windham Hill CD of new age kinda happy upbeat music. Got out a tape recorder (I wanted to buy a microphone and a Radio Shack $79.99 mixing board, but I didn't go that far. I recorded my voice saying affiramtion I wrote with music in the background. I play this in the car sometimes.

The rules for affirmations.

1. Short
2. Must start with "I AM"
3. Must be in the positive (If I say "Don't think about penguins" you get a picture of penguins. No negatives. YOu could say "My thoughts are free of penguins"
4. must have a feeling adverb (I think Adverb) "I am Happily recieving my MBA from NYU.

Ron Barnhart

May 23, 2001, 12:44:01 PM5/23/01
Hi Bruce,

You covered all of the bases. If someone were to follow this type of a
program combined with positive visualization, positive attitude, and positive
action they would surely make progress in their life and acheive the things
they set out to achieve.

Thanks for posting the info.

bruce_cool <Bruce...@excite.com> wrote:
>--------------5CD54498F305D7A0AAD279FC

Ron Barnhart
barnhart

Ian

May 23, 2001, 2:14:02 PM5/23/01
I've been trying to read this thread but to be honest i'velost interest. One
post said it takes a while and i'm too lazy to work on talking to yourself.
I had an mp3 of a relaxation thingy, tells you you're worthy and stuff and i
can't be bothered with it. surely theres an easier way to gain confidence?

a bit of a critic, Ian.

Ron Barnhart <barn...@one.net> wrote in message

Ron Barnhart

May 23, 2001, 7:42:25 PM5/23/01
Hi Ian,

I'll be honest with you. If your not willing to put forth effort or invest
time in yourself, you will not make much progress. In order to solve
problems, set goals, work towards goals, and strive to be the person we were
meant to be really takes a lot of time and effort. I mean a lot. You can
spend between one to two hours per day in personal study, thinking and
planning time, time management, self-talk, preparing for the next day, goal
planning and tracking, etc. That doesn't count the time you will spend working
towards your goals.

You sound like you want to make progress in your life and I know you want a
solution to your problem. So, I highly recommend that you replace the habit of
being lazy with the habit of being proactive. Nothing worthwhile can be
achieved without work and effort.

I sincerely hope you reconsider your options. Your life and your success are
too important to let go because you're not willing to put forth effort.

Hope this helps.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Al Koz

May 24, 2001, 12:33:42 AM5/24/01
O+.

>Whether you use positive self-talk or negative self-talk, you will get out
>what you put in.

Garbage in....garbage out???

bruce_cool

May 24, 2001, 2:10:45 PM5/24/01
I think it is not even a matter of whether.

Reseachers tell us that we think between 10-50 thousand thoughts a day, many of
which are about ourself. Society puts unrealistic expectations on us. So we
measure ourselves agaisnt society, our parents, our spouse, our boss. These
people may have pain in ther past which causes them to be angry and critical.
They in turn our critical of us. We use self talk to question our worth when
the reality is they are just angry, and their negativity toward us has nothing
to do with us at all. using positive affirmations gets us out of all of this.
It kinda renders us white as snow from the grime of hurts of the world. Postive
affirmations allow us to be the people we really are. Saying positive
affirmations allows us to simple tell the truth about ourselves.

Ron Barnhart

May 25, 2001, 12:11:15 AM5/25/01
Very well said. Thank you for putting things into perspective.

"telling ourself the truth about ourself." That's well worth remembering.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Al Koz

May 28, 2001, 8:37:17 AM5/28/01
Ian,
It's hard work, it's not supposed to be easy. I'm having a hard
time doing this myself, it's seems like there's no time to do all the
exercises and stuff. I know that the problem is not the "lack of
time", but me not making the time.
Here's and example, just for me to answer a post like this takes over
an hour. I have to read it, think about it, and think how I'm going
to answer. I'm very bad at articulating my thoughts, so that takes
time also. Anyway, I was sitting with my guitar which I wanted to
play, and was reading this post. NOw i had a choice, play guitar, or
do this post. I decided to do the post, but it wasn't an easy
decision, I really wanted to have fun.

Ron turned me onto a book "over the Top" by Zig Ziglar. Here's a
quote form the book "Don't wait until you feel like taking a positive
action. Take the action and then you will feel like doing it".

Once you put out the effort, you will start feeling the results. When
you start feeling better from feeling the results, you know the only
way to keep feeling that way(good),is to do the work. So enthusiasm
follows action. Latley I've been a little overwhemed, what started
out as just looking for answer to my low self esteem has turned into a
self improvement project. You just can't make the low self esteem go
away, you have to replace it with high self esteem. The more you do
that makes you feel better, the more of the low self esteem that will
be pushed out of you.

There, I did my work, now I'll play my guitar for a bit.

Later, Al.

Ron Barnhart

May 28, 2001, 4:49:09 PM5/28/01
Hi Everyone,

Always keep in mind that hard work pays off, regardless if it's physical work
or working on our self-esteem. We get out of life what we put into it. If we
don't actively work on improving ourselves (whether or not we have low-esteem)
we are leaving our life up to chance. We drift along without any real
direction. Learning the habit of being proactive is the best way to keep this
from happening.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

Leon Macfayden

May 28, 2001, 7:54:24 PM5/28/01
Hi Bruce,

bruce_cool <Bruce...@excite.com> wrote in message

> Leon,
>
> am not sure how you can argue with sucess,

I would never NEVER argue with success - I am simply debating your claim for
attaining it. And I even think your theory has some strong points to it -
but the way you portray it is misleading.

but yet I feel I might understand
> where you are coming from...especially in a world full of gimmicks. and
scams.

And there are so many gimmicks in this area especially, its often hard to
see the wood for the trees. This is why every idea needs to be debated and
then those things that arent true fall apart, some of the others become
modified and the real ones stand up to scrutiny.

> I spent four hours today studying for the GMATS. I am not saying that the
> affirmations "I am estatically and joyfully recieving a 750 on my GMATS
replaces
> studying, taking a KAPLAN prep class, and asking everyone you know what
they
> know. I am saying that in my experience, these affirmations give on the
awareness
> and motivation to do the work.

If that works for you then great. If it motivates you to do the work then
great. For me, I do not like to count my chickens before they hatch so that
statement wouldnt work. The reason for this is I KNOW that its always
possible in an uncertain world that I may not live up to my expectations.
However, I know also that I will do my best to try. I am less interested in
the outcome and more interested in the fact that I have tried my best.
Afiirmations do not help me in that respect.

> Did you ever learn a new word? Then shortly after learning a new work, you
start
> to notice it every where? Wierd eh? The word was always there, you just
never
> noticed it because it you were not looking for it..

I think I know what youre getting at here. I agree it is true that when you
begin to study a new concept, you become more aware of examples of that in
the world. I am currently doing law exams. Therefore I am more concious of
law in the world, but I havent used affirmations.

.Your mind would never let it
> in...kinda like when you want to see someone important but there
sercreatry will
> not let you in. (All of these ideas are stolen from Jack Canfield, who I
feel is
> really on track with a l tof this stuff. ) When I use the affirmation "I
am
> successfully running my own profitable business". I ride down the street
and look
> at businesses and thinhk about how I might do it. withou tthe affiramtion,
during
> that time, I'd probably be thinking about sex, the Yankees, the kids, or
> something else.

Then thats the difference. If I want to do something then I will just focus
on doing it. I dont want to tell myself Ive already done it because for one,
my mind KNOWS that isnt true and therefore wont accept it, and for another I
HAVENT done it and may not - therefore I will be more disappointed if I
fail.

> Don't be so quick to argue.

I discuss, I never argue.

I think I know where you are coming from as far as "a
> few affirmations don't do everything". Comsider this (this is original,
taht is,
> I didn't get it from someone else): If I say "To start the car, all you
need to
> do it have a key and put it in the ignition and turn it....that will start
thet
> car". You could say "they key does NOT start the...You need a battery with
> potential energy in it and a starter motor and a workingm ignitionm system
and
> gas and oit and air and on a nd on. You are right. But, to start the car,
all
> you have to do is put the key in it and start.

But thats a poor analogy. To start a car you do just have to put the key in
the car, despite the workings that made it possible. However, to be
successful in life you do NOT just say a few words. Starting a car IS easy.
Succeeding ISNT. I believe affirmations are a luxury thing to be indulged in
after a firm and real basis in confidence has been established. But I dont
want to sugarcoat how to get that basis. To get confidence you have to fight
against yourself every minute. You have to sweat, confront adrenaline and
fear and fight against yourself. There is no easy road and no let up as you
are always with yourself. You have to get out there and immerse yourself in
the things you fear. It is intensely painful and intensely difficult and
thats why so many people dont bother. Alternatively, they resort to "safe
stuff". Rather than go into the struggle of their lives, they remain in
their comfort zones reciting affirmations, playing with crystals, meditating
or looking at themselves in the mirror. All of that will fall to PIECES when
pressure tested in the real world. I admire meditation, crystals and all of
those things. But you wont get confidence from them. Many people do not ever
gain confidence and that is because the struggle to them is not worth it.
Its surprising how many people try to convince others that they desperately
want confidence and are desperately unhappy, and yet when an opportunity is
offered to them to change, they refuse to step up and make a difference - a
couple of these people are on this newsgroup. Thats because they arent SO
unhappy that they cant take it anymore. People want things handed to them on
a plate. By advocating safe options like affirmations you are buying into
the myth. Im not saying it doesnt ever work - sometimes it does. But the
things I am advocating ALWAYS will work if someone has the courage to see
them through because if you can overcome fear and pressure test yourself
constantly, you cant fail.

> In sharing with a lot of people I know, I have learned a lot of things
that might
> be useful to others. I have a full plate right now, but am working on a
syllibus
> for a class to be taught over several weeks, one night a week, to teach
som eof
> what I have learned. This is why I have been posting this group, kinda to
try out
> my wares.
>

> Off to do my affirmations.

Good luck and thank you for sharing your ideas. Debates such as these help
this group enormously.

Leon.

bruce_cool

May 29, 2001, 10:31:42 AM5/29/01
Hey Leon,

There are two areas which can be expolored, that I am no tgoing to delve into.
The first is the idea of structual tension. When the mind knows one thing to be
true (I work as a technology support person), but you tell it something else, (I
am an executive) the mind will work to resolve the tension. This dicotomy can be
resolved two ways...Stop saying "I am an executive" or become an executive. If
saying affirmations becomes a regular habit, the mind constantly recieves that
tension and will work to resolve it. This is the how and why affirmations work.
Advertisers are well aware of this.

The riticular (sp) activation system. This is what I spoke about below with the
new world. Affirmatoins allow insights and awareness in that otherwise would be
ignored.

Peace

Bruce

Leon Macfayden

May 29, 2001, 6:55:09 PM5/29/01

> Hey Leon,
>
> There are two areas which can be expolored, that I am no tgoing to delve
into.

Neither of these two arguments resolve the points I put forward in the
reality simply by saying something. However, I may be able to convince
myself I am a donkey. But as soon as I step outside into the real world,
everyone else will be quick to point out and notice that I am not. In the
same way, I can convince myself I am wonderful, confident, outgoing, rich,
attractive and whatever. But if it isnt true, the world will let me know.
Then the conflict will arise again, only stronger because now you really
believe you are all these things, yet you are being told quite categorically
that you are not. How many times would you have to say to yourself "We live
on mars" before you believed it to be true? For alot of people, to say "I am
self confident" is as absurd a statement as it is to say "I live on mars"
and therefore anyone who is in that situation absolutely will not suddenly
think "Hey I am self confident after all. Well Im glad that life of pain is
behind me, and all I had to do was say it was so." Affirmations is the
scientific word, but many people will recognise this as magical thinking.
Just because a person says something, it doesnt make it so. And that is
especially true for someone who doesnt believe they are worthwhile. You see,
if their mind is telling them they arent worthy, how can that same mind then
convince itself that it is?

> The first is the idea of structual tension. When the mind knows one thing
to be
> true (I work as a technology support person), but you tell it something
else, (I
> am an executive) the mind will work to resolve the tension. This dicotomy
can be
> resolved two ways...Stop saying "I am an executive" or become an
executive.

I would imagine 99% of the time, the person who says that will either stop
saying it or be incarcerated for losing his grip on reality. HE ISNT an
executive so why doesnt the person saying that stop pretending he is
something he isnt and live in the real world. He may WANT to be an executive
in which case he has to begin the process of achieving that goal. All that
time spent practicing magical beliefs would be better spent buying a suit,
practicing speeches and interviews and looking for vacancies.

If
> saying affirmations becomes a regular habit, the mind constantly recieves
that
> tension and will work to resolve it. This is the how and why affirmations
work.
> Advertisers are well aware of this.

Yes, when your mind is free of ideas on a certain topic, what people say to
you, if they say it enough, becomes ingrained if you are susceptible. But if
you already have a preconceived idea such as "I am unworthy" self talk will
not get you out of it. In fact, I challenge you to show me one example of
where it has because I have spent a long time now dealing with many cases of
people with low self esteem and the small number that have achieved success
did not do it with affirmations. Someone said here that you cannot argue
with results, and I totally agree. In my experience, results show
affirmations to be practically worthless as a method of gaining self esteem.

> The riticular (sp) activation system. This is what I spoke about below
with the
> new world. Affirmatoins allow insights and awareness in that otherwise
would be
> ignored.

There are many many other ways to achieve the same effect which are more
reliable than affirmations. You cannot affirm something that you dont
believe.

Leon.

Ron Barnhart

May 30, 2001, 12:06:41 AM5/30/01
Leon, Bruce, and Everyone,

We've gotten way off track with this discussion. I'm somewhat disturbed by it
because it's giving a lot of bad publicity to something that is really an
invaluable tool for success. In a previous post I mentioned scientific
evidence that anyone can research which clearly shows that positive
affirmations do work. Once again, they do not work all by themselves. It is
one tool that is extremely effective. Several other things that can also help
are: goal setting, positive action, positive visualization, positive attitude,
etc. Not one of these by themselves will make a person successful, but each
one is a valuable tool that can be used to achieve success.

I have read many things in the past few posts that I do not agree with. Many
of the examples were not reality based and in many cases the comparisons were
not accurate.

For example, there is a huge difference between:

"I am a successful business executive"

AND

"I am a donkey."

One example is reality based and the other is not. Becoming a successful
business person is something that is attainable for anyone who wants to attain
it (if they are willing to pay the price). Becoming a donkey is not possible
and neither is living on mars. So it can't compare to things that are within
our capability.

Here's another concept that was debated: telling yourself something that is
not currently a reality. It was stated that it won't work because your mind
knows it's not true. This is not accurate. Your conscious left-brain knows
that it's not true. Your subsconscious right-brain does not know that it
isn't true. And that's what we are trying to program when we use positive
affirmations. It comes down to knowing how the brain works. I can provide
example after example in real life how this is true. It has also been
scientifically proven. I provided this information in a previous post. It
can be researched. These are not opinions.

I think Leon made many valid points. There certainly are people who are using
positive affirmations without getting any results from them. Why? Because
their belief system doesn't match the self-talk. So, how do we get our belief
system to match up with the self-talk that we are using? First, we have to
determine what our beliefs are and what things we want to achieve. Second, we
have to make a game plan. Here's the process for making a game plan:

1. Set long-range goals that match the things you utlimately want to achieve
in life. Make sure they are realistic and attainable. (example: don't set a
goal to have a Rolls Royce in two months if you can't afford the payments on a
Honda right now).
2. Determine what steps are needed to reach these goals
3. Make these steps mid-range goals
4. Determine what steps are needed to reach these mid-range goals.
5. Make these steps your short-range goals.

Third, you need to take positive action towards achieving these goals. Each
step you take will provide motivation and confidence. It also re-affirms your
belief system.

When you get to this point, you can begin to use positive self-talk, positive
visualization, and other techniques to condition your subconscious mind for
success and provide realistic targets for your mind to work towards achieving.

It was also stated that there is no evidence that self-talk works. Once
again, this is far from accurate. I again refer to my previous post citing
the research conducted by Dr. Jonas Sulk at the Sulk Institute in LaHoya,
California. This research was conducted throughout the 1970's and 1980's.
The research was conducted on people who have achieved amazing things. For
example, they performed research on Prisoners of War that returned and managed
to become more successful than ever. Olypic athletes. Professional Athletes.
NASA astronauts. Extensive research was performed to determine how they
achieved phenominal success, despite huge obsticles.

A great example is Joe Montana, football Hall-of-Fame player. How was he able
to perform at the level he performed on such a consistent basis for so many
years? This secret was discovered when he was observed in numerous practice
sessions. He and his teammates practiced as if they were in a real game.
Every player played his very best in practice. Each practice was a simulation
of a real game. It was played as if it were a Super Bowl game. Each and
every practice session was done the same way. Some will say: "That's it?
That's the secret?" That's exactly what the secret was to his success. Was
hard work involved? Absolutely. However, hard work doesn't necessarily make
you a great football player. If it did, there would be a lot more people in
the Hall-of-Fame right now. If you want to find out why it worked, do
research on "cerebral motor cortex". It all comes back to learning how the
brain works. And this is only one example in many thousands.

Leon said it best when he said:

"You cannot affirm something that you dont
believe."

This is absolutely 100% true. So, change the belief system as described
above. If you believe you are a successful business executive, and you tell
yourself you are successful business executive, and you do all the things
necessary to become a successful business executive, there's a good chance you
will become a successful business executive.

Question: Can you become a successful business executive without positive
self-talk? The answer is yes. Next Question: If you use positive self-talk,
is it directly resposible if you do become a successful business executive?
The answer is no. This leads us to another question: Then why bother using
self-talk? Here's why: most people's self-talk is negative all the time. It
must be understood that there is a converstation going on in our mind every
minute that we are awake. This is self-talk. It's unconscious self-talk. It
happens automatically. If this self-talk is negative, it will undermine
everything positive we try to achieve. Everything we try to do will be harder
if you have unconscious negative self-talk. The way to change this is through
conscious positive self-talk. After we do this over a period of time, it will
become unconscious positive self-talk. At this point, success will no longer
be hard and painful. It will come easily and effortlessly.

There is one last piece to this puzzle, and that is a positive mental
attitude. If we don't have PMA, we won't be able to use any of these tools
successfully. So, how do we get PMA? By learning and applying success
principles in our lives. The best first step that I can recommend is a book
called Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill and W.
Clement Stone. You can get it for $6.00 on amazon.com.

Follow the steps, apply the principles, use the tools. That's what will
ultimately lead to success. This involves hard work, determination,
self-discipline, and many other success principles. When you first start
doing these things, it's not easy. I know this from experience. It's not
about easy. It's about results. There is no such thing as a quick fix.

I know these things have worked for me and they've also worked for Bruce.
They worked for Abraham Lincoln. They worked for Napoleon Hill. They worked
for every successful person who has applied them. It can work for anyone who
takes the time to learn how to do it properly and is willing to put forth the
effort necessary to get the desired results.

It's not necessary to use all of the success principles that we have
available. For example, if a person doesn't have a problem with negative
unconscious self-talk (which is extremely rare these days), then you don't
need to use positive self-talk. Why use a tool to solve a problem that
doesn't exist? But, as I hinted at, there are so many people that have a
problem with unconscious negative self-talk that it can be applied and taught
to just about anyone. If there were tons of people that didn't have a problem
with negative self-talk, there would probably be a lot more successful people
than there are now.

If you haven't tried positive affirmations (using them correctly) and have not
done any research on scientific findings, I highly recommend reserving
judgement until these things have been done. There is too much evidence to
show it's usefulness for it be discredited without these considerations.

I hope this will help in understanding the situation.

Ron Barnhart
barn...@one.net

bruce_cool

May 30, 2001, 11:30:47 AM5/30/01
Leon,

It's realy simple and it really works

If you say to yourself over and over "I am no good" you will be aware and look
for examples of when you are not good and you will look for negative : If you
say "I am recieving compliments often" you will be aware of times when people
compliment you and will begin to act in ways and respond to people in a way that
would have them compliment you. This is a reality.

I know that there have been many times when peopl ehave said positive things
about me. I didn't hear them. Since I have been working on my selve, I notice
when women smile at me or whne the boss says good job. You can alter your
awareness and it does work. Try it!

You sai dbelow "If it isn't true, the world will let me know. What I am saying
is that the world may be saying one thing or another but you are filtering what
you hear.

What you say to yourself determines what you believe
What you belive determines how you will act
How you act determines, for the most part, your life

Leon Macfayden

May 30, 2001, 12:06:29 PM5/30/01

Ian <ian...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've been trying to read this thread but to be honest i'velost interest.
One
> post said it takes a while and i'm too lazy to work on talking to
yourself.
> I had an mp3 of a relaxation thingy, tells you you're worthy and stuff and
> can't be bothered with it. surely theres an easier way to gain confidence?

My criticism of this subject Ian is that it is TOO easy to be effective. If
you think this is difficult then now I understand why you ignored the email
I sent you offering you help. YOu will be bothered with it when it matters
enough to you to change.
Regards,

Leon.

Message has been deleted