Anyone from the UK still here?

Northumbria Security

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
I have just got back on line after around a month without computers etc..
and don't see any posts from the UK! Is there something wrong with the new
server I use or is there no one in teh UK on here anymore?

Re the thread on monitoring or not....

--
Ken Mosley
Northumbria Security Services

Nigel Cox

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Hi Ken
Welcome back. What do you want to talk about? I must agree with you there
doesn't seem to be many of us over here posting to the site but as my dear
old Dad say's "Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open one's
mouth and remove all doubt":o). I keep coming up to see what's being said
but quite a lot is State side so isn't really pertinent although some of it
is interesting all the same. Well that's it from me for tonight,
incidentally did you gain a day or have I lost one? Your post is dated 28th,
I'm still on Thursday 27th not sure which planet some times but definitely
the 27th.

P.S. Why can't I attach a signature or business card to a "post".

TTFN

Nigel

Active Digital Security

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:29:37 -0700, "Northumbria Security"
<gen...@northumbria.enterprise-plc.com> wrote:

>I have just got back on line after around a month without computers etc..
>and don't see any posts from the UK! Is there something wrong with the new
>server I use or is there no one in teh UK on here anymore?

I think most of us are still here one way and a nother, but mostly
busy too. People have started retunring from their holidays - always
a busy time for us - now, who said that was a bargain holiday??? :-)

I personally haven't been responding to too many posts because all of
a sudden I seem to be getting told I'm wrong every time I do post, by
one of our American friends, who seems to have cornered the market in
arrogance and conceit these days.....

Talk away - I'm here....

Rgds,

Bill Boyd
Active Security Systems
"What Could you be Missing?"
Professional Electronic Security Installation and Service
Visit www.alarms.demon.co.uk today.....

Andy

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Northumbria Security wrote:

> I have just got back on line after around a month without computers etc..
> and don't see any posts from the UK! Is there something wrong with the new
> server I use or is there no one in teh UK on here anymore?
>
> Re the thread on monitoring or not....
>
> --
> Ken Mosley
> Northumbria Security Services
> Tel: 0191 2702272 (UK)
> kenm...@northumbria.enterprise-plc.com
> HTTP://come.to/northumbria

Im still here too,

Been busy, been away, had problems with PC,...this is my third post
tonight

Lets try to out talk our US 'friends'.
--
Andy Gilmore
Managing Director

julianna

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Hi gents.
I am in the industry in Canada, and we are primarily the same as the US
industry except for equipment listing (ULC or CSA vs. UL, CANASA vs. NBFAA,
etc.) but the equipment and practices are generally the same.

I am interested in learning from anywhere and have observed that the
standards in the UK seem to be far more stringent for quality control of
installs & equipment, licensing of tech's/installers (or engineers, if you
prefer), and communication integrity (largely aided by BT's monopoly).
Where can I get more info on the practices and standards you use over
there? I am particularly interested in commercial applications, even though
the NG is dominated by residential topics. Are there trade magazines that
are distributed free to members of the industry? Do any of you have any old
issues you could spare?

I hope to hear from some of you.

P.S. - Welcome back Ken.

Ron Reid
ADT Security Services Canada, Inc
100 Loftus Street
Moncton, NB
E1E 2N2

Northumbria Security <gen...@northumbria.enterprise-plc.com> wrote in
article <6s42b2$t0o$1...@news.enterprise.net>...

Northumbria Security

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Active Digital Security wrote in message
<35e5b0b1...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:29:37 -0700, "Northumbria Security"
><gen...@northumbria.enterprise-plc.com> wrote:
>
>>I have just got back on line after around a month without computers etc..
>>and don't see any posts from the UK! Is there something wrong with the new
>>server I use or is there no one in teh UK on here anymore?
>
>I think most of us are still here one way and a nother, but mostly
>busy too. People have started retunring from their holidays - always
>a busy time for us - now, who said that was a bargain holiday??? :-)

I would agree - it's getting busier, not sure if it's the holiday thing or
my advertising?

>I personally haven't been responding to too many posts because all of
>a sudden I seem to be getting told I'm wrong every time I do post, by
>one of our American friends, who seems to have cornered the market in
>arrogance and conceit these days.....

I would agree Bill, everyone should be entitled to their own opinion and way
of doing things, as long as it dosent slander or defame anyone, most people
are willing to learn new bits from the group and I have picked up a few
hints on how to do things differently from the group. It is always
interesting to see how other people resolve problems.... so go ahead, keep
replying to posts - can't please everyone all of the time!!!!

If someone dosent agree with the way someone does something, rather than
yell about it, a useful discussion would be more beneficial, we might learn
something then.....

Ken Mosley

Northumbria Security

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Nigel Cox wrote in message
<904241145.22947.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Hi Ken
>Welcome back. What do you want to talk about? I must agree with you there
>doesn't seem to be many of us over here posting to the site but as my dear
>old Dad say's "Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open one's
>mouth and remove all doubt":o). I keep coming up to see what's being said
>but quite a lot is State side so isn't really pertinent although some of it
>is interesting all the same. Well that's it from me for tonight,
>incidentally did you gain a day or have I lost one? Your post is dated
28th,
>I'm still on Thursday 27th not sure which planet some times but definitely
>the 27th.

My PC's say it's the 27th.... Not sure why my post says the 28th!!? Anyone
any idea's.. reminds me of a dodgy alarm panel I once looked at!

>P.S. Why can't I attach a signature or business card to a "post".

What software are you using nigel? I use outlook 98 & newsreader, I found
the signature options under the stationary section in the menu's........

Since my ad's went out in the yellow pages, I seem to be getting a lot of
callouts for B&Q type DIY systems that have gone faulty..... so far about
three per week... Is anyone else having a problem with these type of
systems? what's the industies view on repairing them? I have told about half
of my "New Found" customers to ditch them and I will sell them a decent one!

Northumbria Security

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

I just downloaded the posts for today to be told there was 150+

I think there may have been a fault on the news server I use!

Ken.

Nigel Cox

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

Northumbria Security wrote in message <6s5q5u$kdl$1...@news.enterprise.net>...

>My PC's say it's the 27th.... Not sure why my post says the 28th!!? Anyone
>any idea's.. reminds me of a dodgy alarm panel I once looked at!

Being a newbie I can't help you with that, sorry.

>>P.S. Why can't I attach a signature or business card to a "post".
>

>What software are you using nigel? I use outlook 98 & newsreader, I found
>the signature options under the stationary section in the menu's........

I'm using Outlook Express provided by my ISP, Demon. I can attach sig's and
bus cards to personal/individual mails but not when I'm posting to a NG.

>Since my ad's went out in the yellow pages, I seem to be getting a lot of
>callouts for B&Q type DIY systems that have gone faulty..... so far about
>three per week... Is anyone else having a problem with these type of
>systems? what's the industies view on repairing them? I have told about
half
>of my "New Found" customers to ditch them and I will sell them a decent
one!

We've been looking at a wire free system which has a volumetric base unit
and can monitor smoke/pir/contacts etc. The really nice thing that I like
about the system is that a car alarm is available which communicates with
the alarm panel when you are at home and with a pager when you are not. So
whenever you hear a car alarm going off in the distance or at night when
your in bed, you can be sure its not yours. Unless the house alarm or pager
activates.

The system is manufactured here in the UK by a company in the Midlands and
they have one customer who is selling 2,000 of these systems per month into
Portugal, Spain and Brazil. We are the only people here in the North (we
figure Leeds is in the North anyway:o)) with details on it but we are not
primarily alarm installers/providers and are not sure if we want to go with
it or not yet. If you want any info give me a ring.

I've just done as you said (about the stationary options) and found that I
hadn't completed the tab for "News". Done it now as you can see. Cheers.

TTFN

Nigel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nigel J Cox
CSP Associates
Branch Business Centre
Beecroft Street
LEEDS
LS5 3AS

Tel: 44 (0) 113 230 6188
Fax: 44 (0) 113 304 1050
E-mail: ni...@csp-associates.demon.co.uk
Web Site: http://www.csp-associates.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Northumbria Security

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
julianna wrote in message
<01bdd20a$b1924120$29a5...@julianna.nbnet.nb.ca>...

>Hi gents.
>I am in the industry in Canada, and we are primarily the same as the US
>industry except for equipment listing (ULC or CSA vs. UL, CANASA vs. NBFAA,
>etc.) but the equipment and practices are generally the same.
>
>I am interested in learning from anywhere and have observed that the
>standards in the UK seem to be far more stringent for quality control of
>installs & equipment, licensing of tech's/installers (or engineers, if you
>prefer), and communication integrity (largely aided by BT's monopoly).
>Where can I get more info on the practices and standards you use over
>there? I am particularly interested in commercial applications, even though
>the NG is dominated by residential topics. Are there trade magazines that
>are distributed free to members of the industry? Do any of you have any old
>issues you could spare?

I generally get two magazines, one named "Security Installer" - suprise,
suprise! and the other called "Proffessional Security Installer" - even
bigger suprise....... (Seems the industry here is a little conservative with
their names!)

The standards organisations have web sites located at www.ssaib.co.uk &
www.nacoss.co.uk , there may well be others but I think these are the two
main sites.......

From what I have seen in the group so far, it seems the one big difference
is the way we bill people. In the UK I think it's normal to get a lump sum
once a year from the customer for maint & monitoring etc.. where in the US
it seems to be monthly monitoring? I do however have payment plans for my
customers if they want to spread the cost of monitoring and maint over a few
months etc. Normally the installation work and parts are paid for when the
installation takes place......

Neil

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:19:42 GMT, secu...@alarms.de_spam_on.co.uk
(Active Digital Security) wrote:

>snip>

>I personally haven't been responding to too many posts because all of
>a sudden I seem to be getting told I'm wrong every time I do post, by
>one of our American friends, who seems to have cornered the market in
>arrogance and conceit these days.....

Nice to see Scottish wit is still alive and well :))
Regards
Neil ( one of them thick brummies ,who lives in the Black Country not
Birmingham)

ALARMIN

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
In article <35ea1c5e...@news.demon.co.uk>, neil@demondotcodotuk (Neil)
writes:

>Subject: Re: Anyone from the UK still here?
>From: neil@demondotcodotuk (Neil)
>Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:18:24 GMT

This is just a comment about this thread from a stateside participant.

I too was wondering if we had lost the Brit contingent of the group. I thought
that perhaps that some of the rudeness and in fighting had turned you off.
Although it seems that much of the British industry is not compatable with the
Colonies version it's still very interesting to see how it's done on your side.

Some one commented that this group was mostly residential ....... that's only
because commercial installers don't participate ..... not because they are not
wanted. Likewise ....... if you don't participate ......... Well .... you get
the point.

Glad to have you.

Active Digital Security

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
On 29 Aug 1998 19:15:46 GMT, ala...@aol.com (ALARMIN) wrote:

>In article <35ea1c5e...@news.demon.co.uk>, neil@demondotcodotuk (Neil)
>writes:
>
>>Subject: Re: Anyone from the UK still here?
>>From: neil@demondotcodotuk (Neil)
>>Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:18:24 GMT
>>

>This is just a comment about this thread from a stateside participant.
>
>I too was wondering if we had lost the Brit contingent of the group. I thought
>that perhaps that some of the rudeness and in fighting had turned you off.
>Although it seems that much of the British industry is not compatable with the
>Colonies version it's still very interesting to see how it's done on your side.

Nice to hear - my main reason for keeping quieter recently was mainly
to do with a certain stateside participant who seems to think that my
comments are fair game just now - maybe because he's just had a couple
of major threads about him, and he thought a Brit might be a softer
target - I don't know. But I'm still here, looking for interesting
debate, rather than in-fighting - there does seem to have been a fair
amount of that recently though.....

>Glad to have you.

Thanks - it's nice to be here on the whole....

Active Digital Security

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:18:24 GMT, neil@demondotcodotuk (Neil) wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:19:42 GMT, secu...@alarms.de_spam_on.co.uk
>(Active Digital Security) wrote:
>

>>snip>
>>I personally haven't been responding to too many posts because all of
>>a sudden I seem to be getting told I'm wrong every time I do post, by
>>one of our American friends, who seems to have cornered the market in
>>arrogance and conceit these days.....
>
>Nice to see Scottish wit is still alive and well :))

Aye.

>Regards
>Neil ( one of them thick brummies ,who lives in the Black Country not
>Birmingham)

Black Country is fine - I have a good friend from the Black Country,
and I'm damned if I can think of the name of the place.....it'll come
back to me....

Active Digital Security

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
On 27 Aug 1998 22:20:49 GMT, "julianna" <juli...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>Hi gents.
>I am in the industry in Canada, and we are primarily the same as the US
>industry except for equipment listing (ULC or CSA vs. UL, CANASA vs. NBFAA,
>etc.) but the equipment and practices are generally the same.

This is the way it had seemed to us, and I suppose that it would be -
you telecoms services seem to be very similar too. Is a phone call
from Canada to the States or vice versa considered international? Or
will a 1-800 number in Canada be valid in the States etc.,? Just one
of those silly questions....

>I am interested in learning from anywhere and have observed that the
>standards in the UK seem to be far more stringent for quality control of
>installs & equipment, licensing of tech's/installers (or engineers, if you
>prefer), and communication integrity (largely aided by BT's monopoly).
>Where can I get more info on the practices and standards you use over
>there?

I'd say that some standards are, and some aren't. Mainly all alarms
are installed to one standard these days - BS4737, whether domestic or
commercial. This will change in the coming few years as a new
European Standard takes it's place - EN 50131 - borrowing heavily on
BS4737 and some of the European stuff, which doesn't seem to go as far
as the UK stuff.

We don't licence technicians or installers as such, but we do have to
vet all staff for a period of ten years prior to the date of
application. Criminal records are out. There are qualifications for
security systems staff (technical) but the industry seems to have
ignored them on the whole - I'm thinking of our City and Guilds
Institute's course 1851.

More info is best found from manufacturer's sites, but also from
NACOSS, at www.nacoss.org, or SSAIB at www.ssaib.co.uk, or BSIA at
www.bsia.org - to get the real dirt on the standards, you'd need to
get a copy of the standard from the BSI (not the BSIA) who have a site
at www.bsi.org

>I hope to hear from some of you.

Hope some of this helps...

alarmist

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Active Digital Security wrote (while looking to start an argument):

> .... my main reason for keeping quieter recently was mainly

> to do with a certain stateside participant who seems to think that my
> comments are fair game just now - maybe because he's just had a couple
> of major threads about him, and he thought a Brit might be a softer
> target - I don't know. But I'm still here, looking for interesting
> debate, rather than in-fighting - there does seem to have been a fair
> amount of that recently though.....

If you're "looking for interesting debate, rather than in-fighting" as you
claim, may I suggest you avoid making comments like the above and those in
your other recent posts in the same paragraph. No one is fooled when you
make snide, insulting comments while claiming to be trying to avoid an
argument. This was the second such unprovoked post from you.

BTW, your comments are fair game if they are inaccurate. If you wish to
engage in an "interesting debate," expect to have someone take the opposite
side. If you wish to discuss security related issues, this is the forum.
But please refrain from crying in public about being a soft target while
making rude comments about another person in this forum in the same breath.
It is really quite unbecoming.

I am as interested as many of my US colleagues in hearing about UK
approaches to security, the kinds of problems you face and so forth. So
lets be done with the silly remarks and hear what you have to contribute
about alarms. But do expect some healthy debate from time to time.

Cheerio,
Robert

Bass, Robert L.vcf

alarmist

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Active Digital Security wrote:

> This is the way it had seemed to us, and I suppose that it would be -
> you telecoms services seem to be very similar too. Is a phone call
> from Canada to the States or vice versa considered international? Or
> will a 1-800 number in Canada be valid in the States etc.,? Just one
> of those silly questions....

Yes and yes. Telephone calls between the US and Canada are international
calls. But there are plenty of 1-800 numbers in Canada that can be dialed
directly from the US and (presumably) the reverse is also true.

Bass, Robert L.vcf

VSS DOUG

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
Robert Bass wrote in response to Active Digital Security

snip

>No one is fooled when you
>make snide, insulting comments while >claiming to be trying to avoid an
>argument. This was the second such >unprovoked post from you.

snip

We should all be so lucky if it was only the second such post from you.

snip

>But please refrain from crying in public >about being a soft target while
>making rude comments about another >person in this forum in the same breath.
>It is really quite unbecoming.

Unbelievable Robert, how on earth do you manage to keep a straight face when
you make such posts.

I was especially amused at the "crying and making rude comments in the same
forum" you have really outdone yourself with this post. I haven't laughed so
much in years.

You are joking right?? please don't spoil it by telling me you are serious.

Doug L.

alarmist

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
VSS DOUG wrote:

> please don't spoil it by telling me you are serious.

I've decided to use something I had not planned on using in this news group.
Welcome to the kill-file, Doug.

Bass, Robert L.vcf

Active Digital Security

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:03:14 GMT, "alarmist" <alar...@BassHome.com>
wrote:

A load of arrogant, biased, and misinterpreted crap, thus:

>Active Digital Security wrote (while looking to start an argument):

Not me matey. Look to your own arrogance for the answer to the
arguement starting.

>If you're "looking for interesting debate, rather than in-fighting" as you
>claim, may I suggest you avoid making comments like the above and those in

>your other recent posts in the same paragraph. No one is fooled when you

>make snide, insulting comments while claiming to be trying to avoid an
>argument. This was the second such unprovoked post from you.

I'm not the one attempting to fool people. Neither was the post
unprovoked. I'm happy to download the relevant posts from Dejanews if
your memory really is that short, or if your misguided arrogance
prevents you from doing so yourself.

>BTW, your comments are fair game if they are inaccurate. If you wish to
>engage in an "interesting debate," expect to have someone take the opposite
>side. If you wish to discuss security related issues, this is the forum.

I've never attempted to avoid "being fair game" when posting something
inaccurate. However, I do take exception when arrogance gets in the
way of context, such as was shown when you replied to my reply
concerning the availability of the Gemini in the UK and Ireland. I
recall that whilst I stated to the best of my knowledge it wasn't
available in either of these places, and nor had I heard of stock of
it outside of the US and Canada, you decided to treat this as an
irrefutable statement of fact on my part that England was the entire
world, and that it couldn't possibly be available elsewhere. My
ultimate response to the arrogance of this was to suggest you stuck it
up....somewhere.

>But please refrain from crying in public about being a soft target while
>making rude comments about another person in this forum in the same breath.
>It is really quite unbecoming.

No tears, Robert, pal, friend, whatever. I'm no soft target - I only
wrote the true reason for keeping quiet - I have no wish to engage in
tiresome dialogue with arrogant people. I'm not surprised you
recognised the description though. And, of curiosity, how would you
know what is becoming of me and what isn't? How, by the same token,
do I know that you don't look better in a frilly pink tutu than in
workwear? SO, if your majesty will allow it, I'll continue to speak
(or write) my mind - in the vein that if my game is fair, yours is at
least equally so.

>I am as interested as many of my US colleagues in hearing about UK
>approaches to security, the kinds of problems you face and so forth. So
>lets be done with the silly remarks and hear what you have to contribute
>about alarms. But do expect some healthy debate from time to time.

I'm glad to hear it - as you will recall, I've long stated my interest
in the way it's done your side of the water. I'm happy to leave this
stupidity where it is also. I expect nothing less than unbiased,
honest, fair, healthy debate.....nor to I expect to have to conribute
other than this.

>Cheerio,

Toodle pip, old bean.

>Robert

Bill

Active Digital Security

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:29:47 GMT, "alarmist" <alar...@BassHome.com>
wrote:

Well, that's a "healthy debate" attitude. Are his comments not fair
game, then?

Now, what was that about crying, soft target, rude comments, etc.....

Active Digital Security

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:16:32 GMT, "alarmist" <alar...@BassHome.com>
wrote:

Thank you, Robert. Another of life's little mysteries helpfully
cleared up.....

Rgds,

alarmist

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Active Digital Security wrote:

> "alarmist" <alar...@BassHome.com> wrote:
>
>> I've decided to use something I had not planned on using in this news
group.
>> Welcome to the kill-file, Doug.
>
>Well, that's a "healthy debate" attitude. Are his comments not fair
>game, then

I find most people I meet to be pleasant and interesting. However, every so
often I run across someone who for one reason or another whose company I do
not find rewarding at all. Rather than continue reading snide, provocative
comments which are unmitigated by anything of value, I simply elect not to
engage that person in further discussion.

I prefer not to continue this thread since it has gone off-topic and is no
longer im compliance with the FAQ. You may comment as you please. I won't
notice as there are now two names in my kill-file. That should be
sufficient.

Regards,
Robert

=====================>
Robert L Bass
Bass Home Electronics
http://www.BassHome.com
80 Bentwood Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-561-9542 voice
860-521-2143 fax
=====================>

Before posting to alt.security.alarms, check the FAQ
at http://asa.faq.simsware.com for more information.

Bass, Robert L.vcf

David Williamson

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Sorry been away a while suffering from vast amounts of over work. But have
I missed something interesting. Have the colionies revloted??

>irrefutable statement of fact on my part that England was the entire world,

Sorry Isn't it????

All the best

David.

PS. some of this content may be treated in jest.

Michael B. Baker

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:49:51 +0100, "David Williamson"
<xp...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Sorry been away a while suffering from vast amounts of over work. But have
>I missed something interesting. Have the colionies revloted??

--- snip ---

just a bit of a civil war is all.

=======================
Michael B. Baker
mbb...@teleport.com
www.bakerbunch.com
"Old nuc's never die,
They beta-decay away."
=======================

Michael Simpson

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

David Williamson wrote in message <6tp19g$l0k$1...@plug.news.pipex.net>...

>Sorry been away a while suffering from vast amounts of over work. But have
>I missed something interesting. Have the colionies revloted??
>
>>irrefutable statement of fact on my part that England was the entire
world,

>Sorry Isn't it????
>

>All the best
>
>David.
>
>PS. some of this content may be treated in jest.

Which part David??

Mike.

*Just* a transplanted Brit.
ww.wheresmybeer.pub