scooter road trip itinerary

1 view

Steve Wilbur

May 10, 2002, 5:09:52 PM5/10/02
OK, here it is - a complete first draft of my massive scooter trip
itinerary. If anyone wants to ride along on part of it, drop me an
email. If anyone has comments/suggestions/stuff-to-do along the way,
also drop me an email. (:

Summer 2002 Honda Reflex Scooter North American Roadtrip (17,000 miles)
Day 1: Thursday, May 16th
Anchorage, Alaska to Valdez, Alaska
An easy 320 miles. I need to be in Valdez Thursday night in order to
make the ferry the following morning.

Day 2: Friday, May 17th
Ferry MV Kennicott from Valdez, AK (USA) to Prince Rupert, BC (Canada)
The ferry leaves Valdez at 12:30pm on May 17th and arrives in Prince
Rupert at noon on May 20th. The ticket was about $600!! I hope itıs a
good trip.

Day 3: Saturday, May 18th
Ferry MV Kennicott from Valdez, AK (USA) to Prince Rupert, BC (Canada)
Continue traveling on the ferry. I have no idea what Iım going to do
with this time, but hopefully it will not include thinking about work.

Day 4: Sunday, May 19th
Ferry MV Kennicott from Valdez, AK (USA) to Prince Rupert, BC (Canada)
Continue traveling on the ferry. I have no idea what Iım going to do
with this time, but hopefully it will not include thinking about work.

Day 5: Monday, May 20th
Prince Rupert, BC to Prince George, BC (Canada)
Arrive in Prince Rupert, BC via ferry. Travel along TC Rt. 16 about
450 miles to Prince George. Will probably have to find a motel for the
night but I will camp if I can.

Day 6: Tuesday, May 21st
Prince George, BC to Blaine, Washington (USA)
Travel along Rt. 97/99/I5 about 550 miles and stop near Blaine, WA for
the night. Will probably camp in Birch Bay State Park.

Day 7: Wednesday, May 22nd (Day 1 of Four Corners Tour)
Blaine, WA to Lincoln City, Oregon
In the morning before I leave, I need to drop my Four Corners
Motorcycle Tour certification in the mail. It should carry a postmark
of May 22nd, which means the certification that I mail from Maine must
have a postmark of no later than 12 June 2002. I also will need to get
the 8,000 mile service on my scooter performed before I leave Seattle.
Iıll also have them put on the two new tires Iım carrying. Travel down
the coast of Washington into Oregon about 500 miles. Spend the night
camping near Lincoln City, OR.

Day 8: Thursday, May 23rd (FCT Day 2)
Lincoln City, Oregon to San Francisco, California
Travel about 600 miles down the coast into California. Spend the night
in a hotel in San Francisco.

Day 9: Friday, May 24th (FCT Day 3)
San Francisco, California to Las Vegas, Nevada
Travel 400 miles or so to Las Vegas and spend the night in a hotel.
Check out the surrounding area, including Hoover Dam, Area 51, and the
ET Highway. Win lots of cash.

Day 10: Saturday, May 25th (FCT Day 4)
Las Vegas, Nevada to San Diego, California
Travel some 600 miles through Death Valley, Bakersfield, Los Angeles,
and spend the night at a hotel in San Diego, or camping if I can find a
place and the weather is nice. Estimated trip distance so far is about
3,600 miles.

Day 11: Sunday, May 26th (FCT Day 5)
San Diego California to Tucson Arizona
Get an early start ­ the crack of dawn basically, and travel San Ysidro
to mail off my FCT certification for this corner. Continue on about
450 miles through Mexico to Nogales. Iım kind of concerned about this
stretch of road for a number of reasons, I guess weıll see how it goes.
Re-enter the US at Nogales and travel another 60 miles and spend the
night in a hotel in Tucson. Find a swimming pool and SOAK.

Day 12: Monday, May 27th (FCT Day 6)
Tucson Arizona to Holbrooke, Arizona
Travel to the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest. Spend the
night camping in Holbrooke if the weather is cool, otherwise find a
motel. Total distance of about 500 miles.

Day 13: Tuesday, May 28th (FCT Day 7)
Holbrooke, Arizona to Dallas, Texas
Travel a hard 800 miles to Dallas, Texas and spend the night with
relatives or in a hotel. Before I leave Dallas, Iıll need to get the
12,000 mile service performed on my Honda. Iım carrying some of the
parts required to do that service, since itıs doubtful they will have
them in stock.

Day 14: Wednesday, May 29th (FCT Day 8)
Dallas, Texas to Tampa, Florida
Attempt the Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 long-distance ride
(1000 miles in 24 hours) by traveling 1100+ miles from Dallas, TX to
Tampa, Florida. Depending on how the previous day goes, I may qualify
for the Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 36 hours) as well. When and if
I get to Tampa, I will definitely be looking for a hotel.

Day 15: Thursday, May 30th (FCT Day 9)
Tampa, Florida to Key West, Florida
Travel some 500 miles from Tampa to Key West Florida. I donıt see any
campgrounds on the map, so I will probably be in a hotel. In any event,
I need to mail off my FCT certification for this corner before I leave.
Estimated Trip distance is about 7,000 miles.

Day 16: Friday, May 31st (FCT Day 10)
Key West, Florida to Covington, Georgia
Travel some 800 miles to Covington, GA. Spend the night with friends.

Day 17: Saturday, June 1st (FCT Day 11)
Covington, Georgia to Blacksburg, Virginia
Travel some 400 miles to Blacksburg, VA and camp for the night. Spend
some time checking out my old haunts at Va Tech.

Day 18: Sunday, June 2nd (FCT Day 12)
Blacksburg, Virginia to Winchester, Virginia
Travel some 300 miles to Winchester, VA. Stay with relatives for a
couple of days and visit. I need 3 days to finish the trip and will
build in 4 days of contingency for emergencies (including ones that
have already happened by the time I get here. That means I can visit
for as few as 2 days and as many as five days, depending on how much of
my contingency I use up. For purposes of planning the rest of the trip,
I will assume I use all 6 days and begin my trip on the next day. I
estimate I will have about 15,100 miles on my Honda, with about 7,000
miles on my tires since Seattle. I have pre-placed two tires at my
parentsı house, and will have them installed before I leave. Also,
depending on how much riding around I do here, I may need to get the
16,000 mile service performed.

Day 24: Sunday, June 9th (FCT Day 18)
Winchester, Virginia to Camp May, New Jersey
Travel some 450 miles through Virginia (Norfolk), Maryland, Delaware,
to New Jersey and camp for the night at Camp May, NJ.

Day 25: Monday, June 10th (FCT Day 19)
Cape May, New Jersey to Burlington, Vermont
Travel some 500 miles through New Jersey, New York, and Vermont and
camp for the night near Burlington, Vermont.

Day 26: Tuesday, June 11th (FCT Day 20)
Burlington, Vermont to Madawaska, Maine
Travel some 450 miles through Vermont, Quebec, and Maine and camp for
the night in Madawaska, ME. This completes the Four Corners Motorcycle
Tour. I must stick around until the next day in order to send a letter
from the post office, getting a postmark no later than June 12th.
Estimated Trip distance is about 9,600 miles.

Day 27: Wednesday, June 12th (FCT Day 21)
Madawaska, Maine (USA) to Matane, Quebec
Mail my certification to the Four Corners Motorcycle Tour and continue
on my way (detailed route and schedule not yet completed). I have 19
days to reach Newfoundland and get back to Alaska in time for work on 2
July 2002. I need to be in Goose Bay, Labrador to catch the ferry to
Lewisporte, Newfoundland on June 15th at 5:30pm. That gives me four
days to get there (12th, 13th, 14th, 15th).

Travel from Madawaska (ME) to Matane along US 1 Alt. and Rt. 17 to
Campbellton. Take Rt. 132 to Rt. 195 on to Matane, a total distance of
about 200 miles. I need to catch the ferry to Baie-Comeau at 4:30pm ,
but I should have plenty of time to check out the surrounding area and
I plan to do so.

Ferry Info: http://www.traversiers.gouv.qc.ca/mantane/indexa.htm
Reservation office is open 8:30 AM ­ 8:00 PM every day, (418)562-2500
or (877)562-6560 (toll free in Quebec). The ferry leaves Matane at 5pm
on Wednesday (must arrive 30 minutes before depature)! The $40 trip is
about 2 and a half hours long.

By the time I get to Baie-Comeau and unload, it will be around 8pm. I
figure I can check out the surrounding area and either camp for the
night or find a motel somewhere. It will be important to get an early
start in the morning because Thursday is going to be a rough day.

Day 28: Thursday, June 13th
Baie-Comeau, Quebec to Labrador City, Labrador
Travel on Rt. 389 is about 350 miles under a variety of road
conditions, with a total estimated travel time of 9 hours. For updated
information on road conditions contact:
Quebec Minister of Transport Baie Comeau, Quebec Phone: (418)
589-2065/5610
Quebec Provincial Police Baie Comeau Detachment Phone: (418) 296-2324
Note that even if I donıt get all the way to Labrador City today, itıs
no big deal since Iım giving myself plenty of time to get to Goose Bay.

Section 1: Baie-Comeau, Quebec to Manic Cinq
Distance: 214 Kilometres (125 miles)
Surface: Paved, Winding and Narrow
Travel Time: 3 hours, average speed 70 - 90 km/h (45m/h)
Services: Gas, Telephones, Motel, Restaurant, Camping
Accommodations: Energy Motel - Manic 5, Route 389, Manic 5, Quebec
G0G 1M0
Phone: (418)584-2301 (21 Rooms)
Camping: Manic 2, Route 389, Manic 2, Quebec G0G 1M0
Phone: (418) 296-8009 (54 Campsites)

Section 2: Manic Cinq to Gagnon
Distance: 175 Kilometres (105 miles)
Surface: Gravel, Good Condition, Straight
Travel Time: 2 hours 30 minutes, average speed 70 km/h (45 m/h)
Services: Gas, Restaurant
Accommodations: Motel Relais Gabriel, Bassin Manic 5, Quebec G0G 1K0
Phone: (418) 589-8348 (7 rooms)
Note: Between Relais Gabriel and Gagnon there are three bridges, two
that only
handle one way traffic. Also caution should be exercised at railway
crossings.
Section 3: Gagnon to Fire Lake
Distance: 89 Kilometres (55 miles)
Surface: Paved, some pot holes
Travel Time: 1 hour, average speed 90 km/h (55 m/h)

Section 4: Fire Lake to Mount Wright
Distance: 63 Kilometres (40 miles)
Surface: Narrow and Winding
Travel Time: 1 hour 30 minutes, average speed 50 km/h (30 m/h)

Section 5: Mount Wright to Labrador City
Distance: 40 Kilometres (25 miles)
Surface: Paved, Good
Travel Time: 30 minutes, average speed 80 km/h (50 m/h)
Services: Gas, Car Repair, Banking, Telephones, Hotel, Restaurant,
Camping, Shopping
Accommodations: Hotel Fermont, Fermont, Quebec (418) 287-5451
Carol Inn, Labrador City, NF (709) 944-7736
Two Seasons Inn, Labrador City, NF (709) 944-2661
Wabush Hotel, Wabush, NF (709) 282-3221
Tamarack Bed & Breakfast, Labrador City, NF (709) 944-6002/6003
Camping: Duley Lake Family Park (709) 282-3660

Day 29: Friday, June 14th
Labrador City, Labrador to Churchhill Falls, Labrador
Total distance on the Trans-Labrador Highway is about 330 miles.
However, from what I understand the road is absolutely awful ­ massive
potholes, construction truck traffic, and other nasties. The tour of
the underground power plant at Chuchhill Falls is supposed to be a good
stop and Iıll probably check it out and stay there for the night, or
maybe travel on for another hour or two, depending on things.

Day 30: Saturday, June 15th
Churchhill Falls, Labrador to Goose Bay, Labrador
From the information at
http://www.gov.nf.ca/FerryServices/schedules/E-bond.stm it appears that
the ferry only leaves Goose Bay at 5:00pm on June 15th and doesnıt
leave again until the 19th, so itıs real important that I donıt miss
the ferry. I also need to contact the reservations people at
1-866-535-2567 and verify my information. In any event, the 36 hour
ferry trip is about $200 (CN).

Day 31: Sunday, June 16th
Ferry trip from Goose Bay, Labrador to Lewisporte, Newfoundland
I dunno what Iım going to do all day on this ferry ­ probably try to
rest and recouperate. By my calculations, it should get to Lewisporte
around 7pm. That should give me plenty of time to get to St. Johnıs on
the Atlantic coast. As near as I can tell, thatıs about as far east as
you can drive on this continent.

Day 32: Monday, June 17th
I will need to get an early start, as I will travel the 545 miles to
Port aux Basques so that I can be there to catch the ferry which leaves
at 11:30pm. Since you have to check in an hour before, I should make
sure that I am there no later than 10pm. Along the way, I want to of
course check out Terra Nova N.P., Gros Morne N.P., and anything else I
find interesting along the way.

Ferry Info:
Cost: $60 CDN (more or less).
Reservations: 1-800-341-7981
Arrival/departure info (recorded): 709-695-2124
Reservation info:
http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/marinee/reservations/nojava/index.htm
Schedule:
http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/marinee/reservations/main/pf_schedules2002.
htm

Iım sure I will beat by the time I get on the boat and we get underway
­ and since the trip is about six hours long, I figure I will try to
sleep on the route to North Syndey, NS.

Day 33: Tuesday, June 18th
The ferry gets here about 6am, which is definitely not my time of day.
However, if I get any sleep at all on the ferry, I donıt see myself
staying in town for additional sleep. Iıd like to have a nice easy
day, starting with a drive about 120 miles north to Cape Breton
National Park. Iıll guess Iıll get to Port Hawkesburg (another 120
miles) by noon and can stop there for lunch. With another 180 miles or
so, I can get to Halifax, where I will stop for the day.

Day 34: Wednesday, June 19th
At this point, I have 11 days to get back to Alaska and will need to
get up the road. So I will travel from Halifax down Rt. 103 to Rt. 8
and stop by Kejimkujik National Park. Then Iıll continue on to Rt. 8
and Rt. 101 to Halifax, Rt. 102 to Truro. From there, I will take the
shortest route to Prince Edward Island and make my way to Prince Edward
Island National Park, where Iıll camp for the night.

Day 35: Thursday, June 20th
I hope to get an early start so that I can make some miles. Iıll ride
back into New Brunswicke and take the shortest possible route to Saint
John and on back into Calais, Maine, which is about 230 miles. With
another 150 miles, I can get to Acadia National Park in Maine, where I
can hang out for a little while. I need to make my way to US 201 and
take it back into Quebec, for a total of about 550 miles for the day.
Iıll get as far along as I can, but it may be pushing it.

Day 36: Friday, June 21st
Assuming I get to where I want to be on the 20th, then itıs an easy 90
miles to Quebec City, where I plan to spend some time. I was here
before in 1995 as part of my geology field camp and I thought it was
pretty cool. I figure I may spend as many as five hours here, maybe
leaving just after lunch or something. I also figure the scooter will
be due for its 20,000 mile service. I hope I can find someone to do
it! I need to check into this before I leave, or figure something out.
I might have to do it myself, which would kinda suck. Itıs another 2
hours up the road to Montreal where I want to spend some time, and
since I also want to check out La Maurice National Park, I figure I
will not get any further than Montreal today. Estimated Trip distance
is about 12,500 miles.

Day 37: Saturday, June 22nd
I have 10 days to get back to Alaska, so I need to make some time. I
will travel 120 miles to Ottawa and then take route 17 Sault Ste.
Marie, for a total of about 600 miles. If I happen to be able to drive
any further, I will.

Day 38: Sunday, June 23rd
On this trip, I travel through three states that Iıve never been to
before, Michigan is one of them (Vermont and Louisiana are the other
two). That just leaves North Dakota, Idaho, Nebraska, and Hawaii.
Today Iıll travel through Michigan on a 550 mile segment to Voyageurs
National Park, Minnesota. Iıll travel along Rt. 28/US41 through
Marquette to Ironwood and continue on US 2 through Wisconsin through
Deluth, Minnesota and on US53 to the park. If I can travel further, I
will, stoping whenever I get tired.

Day 39: Monday, June 24th
With an early morning start, I should make some time today. Iıll enter
Ontario at Fort Frances on Rt. 11 and catch Rt. 71 to Rt. 17 and head
west into Winnipeg, Manitoba. Assuming I donıt get too lost, Iıll
continue north on Rt. 6 to Rt. 68. Iıll get to Dauphin and visit
Riding Mountain National Park. Then Iıll continue north on Route 10 to
Swan River and north to Rt. 77. My final stretch of the day will carry
me west to Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan to camp for the night after driving
about 600 miles.

Day 40: Tuesday, June 25th
This morning I will continue on Rt. 3 to Prince Albert and make a 120
miles side trip to visit Prince Albert National Park. When I get back
to Prince Albert, Iıll west on Rt. 3 to St. Walburg and camp somwhere.
Total distance for the day is about 580 miles.

Day 41: Wednesday, June 26th
I have six days to get back to Alaska, which means I need make 550
miles and get to Dawson Creek today. Iıll drive south on Rt. 21 and
take TC Route 16 into Edmonton. I need to visit Elk Island National
Park and Iıd also like to check out the big mall here. Iıve been to
Edmonton twice and both times it was night and I didnıt get to go to
the huge mall. I should consider the possibility to getting two new
tires installed here, as I will have over 7,000 miles on them. I
should call a motorcycle shop in Edmonton from Montreal and see if they
can order the tires for me, depending on my mileage status. When I get
done goofing off, Iıll catch Route 43 to Dawson Creek and camp for the
night. This is the start of the Alaska Highway, which will make a good
start in the morning. Estimated Trip distance is about 15,000 miles.

Day 42: Thursday, June 27th
Travel about 500 miles to Laird River Hotsprings.

Day 43: Friday, June 28th
Travel about 500 miles to Haines Junction, YK.

Day 44: Saturday, June 29th
Travel about 500 miles to Glen Allen, Alaska

Day 45: Sunday, June 30th
Travel the remaining 200 miles or so to Anchorage, Alaska and conclude
this adventure. I have to be at work on July 2nd. That gives me
basically two days of contingency in the return trip. If something
happens and I need a couple of more, I can extend my vacation long
enough to get back. I estimate the scooter will have about 9000 miles
on the tires, with 25,000 miles on the scooter itself, 1,000 miles past
the service due at 24K. I suppose thatıs really bad, but I donıt know
what to do about it. I donıt think there will be any place to do the
service when I am in Tok or wherever I am when I hit 24,000 miles.
Total Estimated Trip distance is about 17,000 miles.

General Notes
This schedule depicts a rough driving schedule. The main thing here is
where I plan to make my major stops. I may get to them a bit early, or
a bit late depending on road conditions etc. The idea here is to try
to set a pace which will get me from Washington to Maine via San Diego
and Keywest in 21 days or less and to get back to work by July 2nd.

WJLMD

May 10, 2002, 10:47:22 PM5/10/02
What makes you so sure that your psychiatrist will give you a 45 day pass from
the institution you surely must be in at this time? Perhaps if you increase
the dose of your medicine these delusions will become less bizarre.
Seriously, I do not see any accomidation for the enevitable bad weather which
will slow you down significantly. Second, if you plan on getting your 8000
mile service and a tire change I think you can plan on the major portion of a
day in the shop. Third, If you camp how long does it take to set up and break
camp, and can you do that in pitch dark? Forth, The reflex has a top speed of
at best 75 mph with no wind and no load --- what is the weight of equipment you
plan to carry? You will have to stop fo gas every110 to 120 miles if you are
pushing your speed - figure 15 min. each stop. Fifth, you can't chompdown a
hamburg and coke while riding 70 mph on a scooter so you will have to dine in
-- figure 25 min. that means on a 500 mile day you will spend 1 hour at a gas
station (if your kidneys can be made to shut down otherwise plan on a bit more
time for calls of nature). If you eat twice only and don't stop for coffee or
other liquid you will loose about two hours of travel time every day under the
best of circumstances. If it rains you will be riding at no more than 40 mph if
you have any sense. You will have to skip all of these sightseeing side trips
to do the four corners and even then you will need the luck of the irish so to
speak to do the corners. By the way do not plan on any more than 6000 miles on
the rear tire at the speed your going to have to ride to even come close to
your schedual.
Good Luck
wj...@aol.com

The older I get the better I was!

Canmore House

May 11, 2002, 1:18:17 AM5/11/02
Steve:

Its pretty ambitious......but you're the boss.

If you get as far as the Alberta border on the return portion, I'll try to
meet you with my Helix either in, or before Edmonton.

Drop me an email for contact information.

Murray
87 Helix
***no_spam***msun...@shaw.ca

"Steve Wilbur" <ultra...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Steve Wilbur

May 11, 2002, 2:36:04 AM5/11/02
Thanks for your encourgagement. (:

In article <20020510224722...@mb-cg.aol.com>, WJLMD

Steve Wilbur

May 11, 2002, 2:37:34 AM5/11/02
Yeah, it's ambitious...

Hooking up in Edmonton would be cool. Consider this my dropped email (:

In article <tQ1D8.60068$xS2.4...@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>, Canmore

GatrGrad68

May 11, 2002, 11:46:02 AM5/11/02
>OK, here it is - a complete first draft of my massive scooter trip

An ambitious undertaking, Steve. If you get all the breaks you can pull it
off. Best of luck. If you have computer access keep us posted on your
progress. You are going to be a prime candidate for a butt transplant when
this is over!!<G>

Gabby

May 12, 2002, 10:55:58 AM5/12/02

"Steve Wilbur" <ultra...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> OK, here it is - a complete first draft of my massive scooter trip
> itinerary. If anyone wants to ride along on part of it, drop me an
> email. If anyone has comments/suggestions/stuff-to-do along the way,
> also drop me an email. (:

Having driven from Goose Bay to Baie Comeau and back several times, I'm
impressed that you are attempting this trip by scooter. Can't say I'd want
to make the trip that way -- or be your butt when you get here. How far do
you get on a tank? There is no gas to be had between Lab City and Churchill
Falls or between Churchill and Goose. So you may have to take a jerry can
with you.

Ice conditions this year seem to be favouring an early start to the Goose
Bay-Lewisporte ferry run (it's been known to be delayed until mid July) so
you shouldn't have a problem making your connection.

Travelling on the "Bond" is an interesting experience. I hope you have a
cabin booked, otherwise it may be a loonngg 36 hours -- there is very little
to do. Too bad you couldn't travel on the 19th, you could hook up with our
drama group as we're heading out on the Bond that night.

Oops, looking at your schedule you write that you'll be in Lewisporte at 7
pm on the 16th, but it's more like 7 am on the 17th so you'd best check your
reservations from Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney if you plan to go to St.
John's first. And I don't think you'll have time to see much (if any) of
Gros Morne as it's off the beaten path.

Wish you luck. When you make it to Goose Bay we'd like to buy you a beer.

Gabby