How to power a BT GPS and iPAQ together?

Andrew Smith

Jan 25, 2004, 6:31:05 PM1/25/04
I've got an iPAQ 4350, Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever and TomTomNav2.
The iPAQ and the GPRS both use a cigar lighter adapter for charging,
obviously my car only has one cigar lighter.
What is the best way to get these wired in properly so that I don't have to
mess about changing cigar lighter adapters all the time?
Can I just cut the cigar lighter adapters off and connect the wires to the
ones that provide power to the cigar lighter? I'm thinking it might not be
that easy, right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tony Clark

Jan 25, 2004, 7:38:37 PM1/25/04
Try this site http://pc-mobile.net/

TC

"Andrew Smith" <None@AllThanks> wrote in message

Andrew Smith

Jan 25, 2004, 8:19:51 PM1/25/04
Hi Tony.
They don't seem to do anything for my model of iPAQ.
Thanks anyway.

"Tony Clark" <curiousg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

English Bob

Jan 26, 2004, 1:25:18 AM1/26/04
Buy a power socket splitter or 3 in one adapter... available at most motor
stores.

--
Craig J Hadfield - Fresno, California.

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 26, 2004, 11:33:11 AM1/26/04

DO NOT cut the cigar lighter adapters off! They contain the parts that
reduce the 12v vehicle electrics to the voltage (normally 5v) that your PDA
and BT GPS expect.

Some BT GPS units come with a cigar lighter adapter that will power both BT
GPS and PDA, mainly those such as the Emtac which have the same power
requirements and share the same socket as HP's iPAQ's. PC-Mobile
(www.pc-mobile.net) have a Y-Cable that performs a similar function, see
PPY2 http://www.pc-mobile.net/compaq.htm .

Failing that, a 2 into 1 Cigar Lighter adapter available from most car
accessory outlets will do the job.

--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

gomez

Jan 26, 2004, 6:37:10 PM1/26/04
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:25:18 -0800, "English Bob"
<Craigjhadf...@hotmail.com> dropped the following oil-slick:

>Buy a power socket splitter or 3 in one adapter... available at most motor
>stores.

Halfords do a 4 socket power strip with a neat power switch built into
its plug. Looks like a baboons arse when turned on at night though
:)
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)

gomez

Jan 26, 2004, 6:43:54 PM1/26/04
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:31:05 -0000, "Andrew Smith" <None@AllThanks>
dropped the following oil-slick:

>I've got an iPAQ 4350, Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever and TomTomNav2.
>The iPAQ and the GPRS both use a cigar lighter adapter for charging,
>obviously my car only has one cigar lighter.

These guys do combined power / data cables for most combinations

http://www.thesupplynet.com

Can't find anything for the Emtac GPS but if you email SupplyNet they
may quote you to make one up for you. Alternatively see the other
posts about getting a socket-splitter.

Daniel TONG

Jan 27, 2004, 9:50:58 AM1/27/04
"Andrew Smith" <None@AllThanks> wrote in message news:<107507356...@iris.uk.clara.net>...
> I've got an iPAQ 4350, Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever and TomTomNav2.
> The iPAQ and the GPRS both use a cigar lighter adapter for charging,
> obviously my car only has one cigar lighter.

i am sure ipaq 4350 is a great pda but it is just not geared up for
gps

for gps, you are better off with 2210 or 220 with dual slots and with
a cf gps powered up by your pda directly

> What is the best way to get these wired in properly so that I don't have to
> mess about changing cigar lighter adapters all the time?

this may do the job:

http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSPPCC&Category_Code=

> Can I just cut the cigar lighter adapters off and connect the wires to the
> ones that provide power to the cigar lighter? I'm thinking it might not be
> that easy, right?

the device (re the U S link) should do the job

it consists of one more wire to power up your gps

even if you are in europe there must be something similar

good luck

daniel
toronto

> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 27, 2004, 1:40:39 PM1/27/04
Daniel TONG wrote:
> i am sure ipaq 4350 is a great pda but it is just not geared up for
> gps
> for gps, you are better off with 2210 or 220 with dual slots and with
> a cf gps powered up by your pda directly

Have to disagree there. The most adaptable GPS is a BT one which works fine
with a 4350.

Andrew Smith

Jan 27, 2004, 6:49:24 PM1/27/04
"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <dar...@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote

> Andrew Smith wrote:
> > I've got an iPAQ 4350, Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever and TomTomNav2.
> > The iPAQ and the GPRS both use a cigar lighter adapter for charging,
> > obviously my car only has one cigar lighter.
> > What is the best way to get these wired in properly so that I don't
> > have to mess about changing cigar lighter adapters all the time?
> > Can I just cut the cigar lighter adapters off and connect the wires
> > to the ones that provide power to the cigar lighter? I'm thinking it
> > might not be that easy, right? Any other suggestions?
>
> DO NOT cut the cigar lighter adapters off! They contain the parts that
> reduce the 12v vehicle electrics to the voltage (normally 5v) that your
PDA
> and BT GPS expect.

That's kind of of what I suspected

> Some BT GPS units come with a cigar lighter adapter that will power both
BT
> GPS and PDA, mainly those such as the Emtac which have the same power
> requirements and share the same socket as HP's iPAQ's.

Actually I do have an Emtac GPS receiver but the power lead for it does not
fit my iPAQ 4350.
It is a double one, like it's supposed to power two devices - just not the
one I have!

> a 2 into 1 Cigar Lighter adapter available from most car
> accessory outlets will do the job.

I wanted something a bit more professional than that really.

Thanks for the help again though Darren.

Andrew Smith

Jan 27, 2004, 6:54:35 PM1/27/04
"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <dar...@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:BfyRb.28227$qx2.3...@stones.force9.net...

> Daniel TONG wrote:
> > i am sure ipaq 4350 is a great pda but it is just not geared up for
> > gps
> > for gps, you are better off with 2210 or 220 with dual slots and with
> > a cf gps powered up by your pda directly
>
> Have to disagree there. The most adaptable GPS is a BT one which works
fine
> with a 4350.

That's right Darren, the 4350 works great with a BT GPSR, I'd just like to
be able to power both at the same time.

Daniel TONG

Jan 27, 2004, 8:07:48 PM1/27/04
"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <dar...@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in message news:<BfyRb.28227$qx2.3...@stones.force9.net>...
> Daniel TONG wrote:
> > i am sure ipaq 4350 is a great pda but it is just not geared up for
>
> > for gps, you are better off with 2210 or 2220 with dual slots and with

> > a cf gps powered up by your pda directly
>

> Have to disagree there. The most adaptable GPS is a BT one which works fine
> with a 4350.

I am also sure that it would be fine provided the user has to put up
with one more piece of wiring supplying power to the gps which
otherwise would draw power from the pda.

The original thread of this discussion (see below) started off with
Andrew Smith having difficulty locating a linked power supply to both
devices. Why not you suggest one then?

Daniel
Toronto

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 28, 2004, 2:30:06 AM1/28/04
Andrew Smith wrote:
> That's right Darren, the 4350 works great with a BT GPSR, I'd just
> like to be able to power both at the same time.

And you can , I provided a link to PC-Mobile earlier who sell the necessary
'Y' cable to permit this.

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 28, 2004, 2:31:49 AM1/28/04
Daniel TONG wrote:
> I am also sure that it would be fine provided the user has to put up
> with one more piece of wiring supplying power to the gps which
> otherwise would draw power from the pda.
>
> The original thread of this discussion (see below) started off with
> Andrew Smith having difficulty locating a linked power supply to both
> devices. Why not you suggest one then?

Not sure why you are taking that tone but if you check back I have provided
a link in this thread to PC-Mobile who sell the necessary Y-Cable, OK?

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 28, 2004, 2:36:36 AM1/28/04
Andrew Smith wrote:
> Actually I do have an Emtac GPS receiver but the power lead for it
> does not fit my iPAQ 4350.
> It is a double one, like it's supposed to power two devices - just
> not the one I have!

That's the adapter I was referring to :) If it has two connectors which are
both the same as that which fits the Emtac then all you need is the dongle
which converts one of these outputs to the 4350 connector. Most iPAQ's came
with one of them, certainly my 3970 and 2210 did? See
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=274707-B21> one of the outputs
your Emtac charge would plug into the base of this dongle which then
connects to your iPAQ.

Daniel TONG

Jan 28, 2004, 9:21:56 AM1/28/04
"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <dar...@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in message news:<MyJRb.28363$qx2.3...@stones.force9.net>...

> Daniel TONG wrote:
> > I am also sure that it would be fine provided the user has to put up
> > with one more piece of wiring supplying power to the gps which
> > otherwise would draw power from the pda.
> >
> > The original thread of this discussion (see below) started off with
> > Andrew Smith having difficulty locating a linked power supply to both
> > devices. Why not you suggest one then?
>
> Not sure why you are taking that tone but if you check back I have provided
> a link in this thread to PC-Mobile who sell the necessary Y-Cable, OK?

Sorry. Maybe I did not make it that clear.

My point was that even with the Y link you mentioned or the one that I
mentioned at http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSPPCC&Category_Code=
,
the set-up of iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever is not as
versatile/convenient as iPaq 2220 with any CF gps . That I assume the
best scenario that the iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever
actually works flawlessly.

Can you imagine the iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever being
used in a car, pedestrian or hiking situation with its tangling
wiring mess?

Individually iPAQ 4350 or Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever are great
devices. But their combination is not the best gps set-up . It is an
OK set-up at best.

Personally I love iPAQ 4350 with its cool keyboard. But when it
comes to GPS nothing beat ipag2220/Dell X5 (anyone with dual slot)
with a cf gps with which I can walk and drive around at ease.

Incidentally, I found the antennae that I bought for the CF gps
absolutely useless and I wrote to the manufacturer for a refund. I
never had a problem locking on signal without the antenne. It is a
pleasant surprise.

C if you agree with me: one less wire one less hassle.

Daniel
Toronto

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Jan 28, 2004, 12:34:53 PM1/28/04
Daniel TONG wrote:
> Sorry. Maybe I did not make it that clear.
>
> My point was that even with the Y link you mentioned or the one that I
> mentioned the set-up of iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever is not

as
> versatile/convenient as iPaq 2220 with any CF gps . That I assume the
> best scenario that the iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever
> actually works flawlessly.
>
> Can you imagine the iPAQ 4350 + Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever being
> used in a car, pedestrian or hiking situation with its tangling
> wiring mess?
>
> Individually iPAQ 4350 or Emtac Bluetooth GPS reciever are great
> devices. But their combination is not the best gps set-up . It is an
> OK set-up at best.

I agree that it can result in more wires but as it has a battery it does not
need to be plugged in at all times. Most users just top up the battery
using the additional cable when necessary. With a BT GPSR you can site your
PPC where it suits you and have the BT GPS in the optimum position for
satellite reception. This is not possible with a CF GPS and if you opt for
the external antenna then you are back to square one with an extra wire!

I have nothing against CFR, Mouse or BT GPS, I personally prefer BT, others
think differently :) Either option can produce a great GPS solution.

Andrew Smith

Jan 30, 2004, 6:40:54 PM1/30/04

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <dar...@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:gDJRb.28365

> That's the adapter I was referring to :) If it has two connectors which
are
> both the same as that which fits the Emtac then all you need is the dongle
> which converts one of these outputs to the 4350 connector. Most iPAQ's
came
> with one of them, certainly my 3970 and 2210 did?

I found it! It was attached to the cable that's plugged into my desktop
docking/charger thing.
Thanks Darren (I seem to be saying this a lot lately! )

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Feb 1, 2004, 4:09:44 AM2/1/04
Andrew Smith <None@AllThanks> wrote:
> I found it! It was attached to the cable that's plugged into my
> desktop docking/charger thing.
> Thanks Darren (I seem to be saying this a lot lately! )

You're welcome, glad it's now resolved :)