Re: Tom Tom GO Change location

Message has been deleted

Rick

Jun 22, 2006, 4:17:23 PM6/22/06
YOu will find a (Nearly) full manual on the cd you got with your new 910.

H.T.H.

"Patrick Nethercot (ngs)" <nos...@this.address.ok> wrote in message
> Ah, I found the way to change maps - it's buried quite deep in the menu
> structure - and without the manual, it's all trial and error. The TT
> website is not very forthcoming about the manual either, no PDF for
> download that I can find.
>
> --
> Patrick (Durham UK)
> http://www.pcrrn.co.uk
> Do not reply direct, email via website above.
> "There are 10 types of people in the world - those that know binary and
> those that don't."

Jack Erbes

Jun 22, 2006, 5:35:42 PM6/22/06
Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:
> Ah, I found the way to change maps - it's buried quite deep in the menu
> structure - and without the manual, it's all trial and error. The TT
> website is not very forthcoming about the manual either, no PDF for
> download that I can find.

Is that done from a Preferences menu using a Switch Maps icon? If so,
then the software on the 910 is similar to Tom Tom 5 Navigator (TT5N).
I've been using on a PDA with a cabled GPS receive for a year or so now.

The U.S. mapping for TT5N is arranged as a number of regions (about 15
of them) and there is also one "region" that contains all the major
roads for the entire U.S.

The street level detail is stored in the regional folders. There is
some street level detail for major cities in the Major Roads folder but,
for the most part, the street level detail is stored by geographical
regions.

Only one of the regions can be in use at a time, and the regions are
selected and switched using the Switch Maps option from the Preferences
menu.

So on my TT5N SD card I have a number of folders, one for each region
and one for the Major Roads region.

The common form of reference for addresses or specific locations, is to
save them as "Favorites". The favorites are saved to a file in the
folder of the region that is in use when the Favorite is created.
Favorites in one region folder cannot be seen from from other region
folders so when you change maps you lose access to favorites in any
other map or region.

TT5N has a feature called Itinerary planning that can use Favorites as
waypoints or destinations in a route. So what you might try is to go to
the region you want to plan routes for and use Browse Maps or Address
Search or any other method of finding locations and then, as the
locations are found, create a Favorite for each location.

After you have all the locations you want to use in routes in your
Favorites for the current region or map, you can create any number of
Itineraries and save those too.

So at this point you will have the routes and destinations saved to
Itinerary files. You cannot yet calculate those routes or view them on
maps because you cannot do that without a GPS fix that is within the
boundaries of the map region you are planning for.

There is an Advance Planning feature in TT5N that will let you do that
but only for a single destination.

As soon as you get a GPS fix within the region you are planning for, you
can open the Itineraries, it will calculate the routes, and you can
start navigating.

But those will be "dumb routes". It goes unsaid that only someone that
does not know any better uses the routes that the 910 or TT5N or any
other GPS software creates. Those routes are devoid of the local
knowledge and other inputs that make people take those itineraries and
commence to adding more waypoints to them to force the software to go
the smart way instead of the dumb way.

But as a visitor to another land, having a dumb route will be better
than having no route at all.

What I am describing here is speculative, I don't have a 910. It would
be interesting to hear if it did work and if the 910 can be used like
TT5N.

Tom Tom, as a company, seems to be unapproachable by and unresponsive to
consumers. I say that because they need to add some features (like
track display, track history files, track replay, better use of lat/long
inputs, etc.) to their pretty good software if they want to stay in the
fight for the market. But I've never found anyplace (forum, feedback
page, etc.) to make suggestions, ask questions, or do any of the other
things that I would be able to to with a company that was interested in
preserving or advancing their market share.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jack Erbes

Jun 22, 2006, 9:34:19 PM6/22/06
Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

<anip>
> I've only looked at one route so far, from an address in St Catharines,
> Ontario to Columbus Ohio. From that, it seems that on the Go 910, the
> mapping is seamless, ie not split into regions, but I haven't explored
> further yet. I need more time to play! :-)

That is interesting then. One of the limitations with TT5N is that your
route cannot cross over into another region. All U.S. regions overlap
each other by at least a few miles or more but there is no overlap in
map details along the U.S. and Canadian border. If I'm in Calais, ME
and want to know what the road or highway in called in Canada I can't
tell without changing to the Canadian region. And when I do, I lose all
the U.S. detail. Stupid!

> The Go 910 has a 20 GB HDD, so maybe it's because it's not using cards
> that it can take the whole the N America in one go, as I think it does
> with western Europe, although I have so far only tried routes in the UK.
> I should try a route or two in Germany which I know quite well.

I'm sure you're right, they had to create the regions so that users
could select chunks of data that would fit on smaller SD cards. I think
you can get all the TT5N regions for the U.S. and Canada on a 2Gb SD
card though.

>>The common form of reference for addresses or specific locations, is to
>>save them as "Favorites". The favorites are saved to a file in the
>>folder of the region that is in use when the Favorite is created.
>

> I've seen Favourites in the menu tree, but haven't investigated that yet.

<snip>
> Thanks. I need to look at itineraries more. So far each route I have
> tried that I know, it tales me the way I would go, so, so far so good.

Favorites and Itineraries turned out to be the strong magic for me as
far as having complete control of routing. And it took a while to
figure it out.

Your collection of Favorites can get pretty complicated if you find you
need to use them a lot to control routing. But I am your basic anal
retentive control freak on taking trips, I pre-plan almost everything
and want it to go the way I want it to go. And TT5N lets me do that.

But it can also be used no brainer style in what I call the "take what
you get" mode.

<snip>

> So true. Ever been lost in the Czech Republic? :-)

No, never got there. But if I did, I'd just look for a cool bottle of
Pilsner beer.

> We're making a good start here... :-)
>
> Thanks for the help. I'll keep playing - and trying to find the *******
> manual!

You're welcome. You may find the online manual for TT5N somewhat
helpful in using the Favorites and Itineraries:

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/mob5_nav5/ttmob5nav5_manual.htm

I'm pretty well addicted to using GPS in several forms and places, Tom
Tom is my current choice for the car and motorcycle so I'm always happy
to get the impressions and comments from the early buyers on the new
stuff.

I'm thinking Tom Tom will be my choice for the future but I sure wish
they would give us some way to keep track of some of the details of
times, places, speed, etc.

Message has been deleted

milsabords

Jun 23, 2006, 10:50:20 AM6/23/06

"Jack Erbes" <jack...@adelphia.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
e4KdnV3OfM1K2QbZ...@adelphia.com...

> Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:
>

> I'm thinking Tom Tom will be my choice for the future but I sure wish they
> would give us some way to keep track of some of the details of times,
> places, speed, etc.
>
> Jack
>

> --
> Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
> (also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

There is a free plugin which does what you want here:
http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/

Message has been deleted

Jack Erbes

Jun 23, 2006, 12:59:52 PM6/23/06
Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

<snip>
> I also need to look at timings. The route from St Catharines to Columbus
> I know takes 5 hours driving time. TT estimated it at 5:58. But I
> haven't found to change any settings for speeds yet.

Nope, that is none of your business. Just like where you have been.
:>) At least that is the case on TT5N.

But the good news is that one of the things you can choose to display on
the status bar with TT5N is your estimated time of arrival. It seems to
calculate the initial ETA based on the type of roads it has in the
route. But once you start moving the ETA will start changing. As you
speed up and slow down the ETA will change but I've found the time you
get while at cruising speed to be pretty accurate if you are going to
make most of your journey at that speed.

> I have used the Toyota system before, and they have Memory Points, I
> guess that's the equivalent of Favourites in TT. BTW, my TT does spell
> it Favourites. :-)

Ahh, the common English misspelling for the old American word favorite.
:>) I have a version with the U.S. mapping and it is spelled the
American way.

> I should post here more often. Each time I post a problem, I then find
> the answer myself. Is there a connection? Maybe I'm getting old, but
> having searched the CD several times, just after posting last night, I
> found the file TomTom_GO_EN.pdf on the CD!

Oh yeah, the PDF fairies came in the night...

Jack Erbes

Jun 23, 2006, 1:01:44 PM6/23/06
milsabords wrote:

> There is a free plugin which does what you want here:
> http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/

Why thank you! I'll have to give that a try.

Richard Thomas

Jun 24, 2006, 1:31:38 PM6/24/06
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:34:19 -0400, Jack Erbes
<jack...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Your collection of Favorites can get pretty complicated if you find you
>need to use them a lot to control routing. But I am your basic anal
>retentive control freak on taking trips, I pre-plan almost everything
>and want it to go the way I want it to go. And TT5N lets me do that.

Have you considered creating custom POI files? It's pretty
straightforward.

Rich
--
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
--Robert A. Heinlein