Looking to get a new Mio DigiWalker

1 view

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 13, 2007, 9:18:36 AM10/13/07
Last March I got the Mio DigiWalker C310x
http://www.mio-tech.com/US/gps-navigation-products-c310x-overview.htm . I
used it a number of times and really liked it a lot, but I lost it. I'd like
to get another Mio - I like the interface and the size - but I'd also like
to get a GPS that announces the street names, instead of just saying "turn
left here". I also like the idea of getting real time traffic updates, and
would pay for that if it was a reasonable price. It looks like the C710
http://www.mio-tech.com/US/gps-navigation-products-c710-overview.htm would
be the "upgrade" to the C310x, but I can't tell from the Mio web site if it
announces the street names. Does anyone know?

--

~ Kathleen

Uncle Ben

Oct 13, 2007, 9:49:54 AM10/13/07
"Kathleen Anderson" <spiderw...@mvps.org> wrote in message
I don't think so, Kathleen. Follow this link.

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/mio-c710/4505-3430_7-31891145.html

What you're looking for is 'text to speech' functionality, which the c710
doesn't have.

Cheers!

Uncle Ben

Oct 13, 2007, 9:53:47 AM10/13/07
"Kathleen Anderson" <spiderw...@mvps.org> wrote in message
You know, Kathleen, you may want to take a look at the Garmin 350 - it's
about in the same price range, the reviews are excellent.

HTH. Cheers!

Rich

Oct 13, 2007, 12:05:11 PM10/13/07
On Oct 13, 6:18 am, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
wrote:
> Last March I got the Mio DigiWalker C310xhttp://www.mio-tech.com/US/gps-navigation-products-c310x-overview.htm . I

> used it a number of times and really liked it a lot, but I lost it. I'd like
> to get another Mio - I like the interface and the size - but I'd also like
> to get a GPS that announces the street names, instead of just saying "turn
> left here". I also like the idea of getting real time traffic updates, and
> would pay for that if it was a reasonable price. It looks like the C710http://www.mio-tech.com/US/gps-navigation-products-c710-overview.htm would

> be the "upgrade" to the C310x, but I can't tell from the Mio web site if it
> announces the street names. Does anyone know?
>
> --
>
> ~ Kathleen

The C230 has text to speech, as does the C520.

Rich Owings
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com
http://gpstrackingsystems.biz

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 13, 2007, 5:44:52 PM10/13/07
"Uncle Ben" <reel_jemm_...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Uncle Ben & Rich:
So I just got back from a 2 hour whirlwind tour through Best Buy, Circuit
City & CompUSA. I learned that in order for the Garmin 350 to do the real
time traffic updates, you need to buy an external FM antenna (cost > $100)
and subscribe to their service ($60/year - not bad).

I am going to do some more Googling, but I was wondering if there are any
makes/models that:

Have the flat form factor (and wide screen is OK) - as opposed to the big
lump in the back, and
A built in FM antenna, and
Spoken street names?

--

~ Kathleen

Uncle Ben

Oct 13, 2007, 6:14:45 PM10/13/07

> Uncle Ben & Rich:
> So I just got back from a 2 hour whirlwind tour through Best Buy, Circuit
> City & CompUSA. I learned that in order for the Garmin 350 to do the real
> time traffic updates, you need to buy an external FM antenna (cost > $100)
> and subscribe to their service ($60/year - not bad).
>
> I am going to do some more Googling, but I was wondering if there are any
> makes/models that:
>
> Have the flat form factor (and wide screen is OK) - as opposed to the big
> lump in the back, and
> A built in FM antenna, and
> Spoken street names?
>

> --
>
> ~ Kathleen

Yes, the Navigon 5100 and 7100, both have the lane and traffic assistants
great. Very nice, sleek desings, but...

http://www.experiencenavigon.com

Cheers!

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 13, 2007, 6:56:19 PM10/13/07
"Uncle Ben" <reel_jemm_...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

They are gorgeous :-) But you are right about the reviews - some of them
on Amazon are a bit scary.

--

~ Kathleen

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 13, 2007, 7:29:24 PM10/13/07
"Rich" <richo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It looks like the Mio C720t
http://www.mio-tech.com/US/gps-navigation-products-c720t-overview.htm just
announced a few weeks ago, has everything I'm looking for, although it's not
for sale yet.

--

~ Kathleen

Uncle Ben

Oct 14, 2007, 6:57:20 AM10/14/07

"Kathleen Anderson" <spiderw...@mvps.org> wrote in message
Well, if you look at the specs for the Mio's, they'are all based on Windows
CE x.x. So essentially, they are Pocket PCs in disguise. In fact, many
users, if you read the forums, have found a way to unlock their GPS and sync
it with their desktop/notebook via MS ActiveSync, to install new applets,
etc. The problem I have with this platform and all WCE-based GPS system, is
that you have an operating system (Windows CE) that is not stable, that is
not that reliable, a system that becomes very sluggish and crashes under
heavy load. I can't talk for Mio per se, never used their GPS. But in
general, if you read the reviews, you'll see that WCE-based units receive
much lower scores than stand-alone GPS systems. My two cents.

Cheers.

Rich

Oct 14, 2007, 10:23:56 AM10/14/07
On Oct 13, 2:44 pm, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
wrote:

> Uncle Ben & Rich:
> So I just got back from a 2 hour whirlwind tour through Best Buy, Circuit
> City & CompUSA. I learned that in order for the Garmin 350 to do the real
> time traffic updates, you need to buy an external FM antenna (cost > $100)
> and subscribe to their service ($60/year - not bad).
>
> I am going to do some more Googling, but I was wondering if there are any
> makes/models that:
>
> Have the flat form factor (and wide screen is OK) - as opposed to the big
> lump in the back, and
> A built in FM antenna, and
> Spoken street names?

This chart will tell you which Garmin models fit your criteria...

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/03/garmin_nuvi_com.html

> --
>
> ~ Kathleen

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 14, 2007, 10:45:03 AM10/14/07

> On Oct 13, 2:44 pm, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Uncle Ben & Rich:
>> So I just got back from a 2 hour whirlwind tour through Best Buy, Circuit
>> City & CompUSA. I learned that in order for the Garmin 350 to do the real
>> time traffic updates, you need to buy an external FM antenna (cost >
>> $100)
>> and subscribe to their service ($60/year - not bad).
>>
>> I am going to do some more Googling, but I was wondering if there are any
>> makes/models that:
>>
>> Have the flat form factor (and wide screen is OK) - as opposed to the big
>> lump in the back, and
>> A built in FM antenna, and
>> Spoken street names?
>>

> This chart will tell you which Garmin models fit your criteria...
>
> http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/03/garmin_nuvi_com.html

Rich:
Thank you so much for that - it really helps. It looks like the nuvi 660 is
a good match - and it's on sale (and in stock) at Amazon for $540.48. That's
just about what I was thinking I would have to spend.

--

~ Kathleen

Uncle Ben

Oct 14, 2007, 11:15:13 AM10/14/07
"Kathleen Anderson" <spiderw...@mvps.org> wrote in message
SNIP

> Rich:
> Thank you so much for that - it really helps. It looks like the nuvi 660
> is a good match - and it's on sale (and in stock) at Amazon for $540.48.
> That's just about what I was thinking I would have to spend.
>

> --
>
> ~ Kathleen
Now you're talking, good choice. The reviews are excellent ... It's
unfortunate that it does not support support multidestination route
creation. In the same price range, the competition offers varius models
where you can plan an entire trip the night before from location A, A to B,
B to C and back home. This, to my simple mind, is so elementary that you'd
think that all GPS manufacturers, especially one of Garmin's reputation,
would include this feature in a relatively high-end system. Humm. Not a
big deal for me, I'm retired, so A-B and take me home is just fine for me,
as long as I'm back home in one piece!
:-).

The Pros and Cons of GPS shopping ... enough to make your head spin, isn't
it! Fun and games.

Cheers!

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 14, 2007, 11:22:42 AM10/14/07

> Now you're talking, good choice. The reviews are excellent ...

I just placed the order at Amazon :-)

> The Pros and Cons of GPS shopping ... enough to make your head spin, isn't
> it! Fun and games.

Yes, especially the time I spent at the stores yesterday. The salesman at
Best Buy seemed insulted when I started voicing some of my concerns about
different models - he actually walked off in a huff. But the guy at Circuit
City was very helpful - did some research on Google for me - and said he
learned some things about different models that he didn't know before.

Thank you again,

--

~ Kathleen

Uncle Ben

Oct 14, 2007, 11:48:57 AM10/14/07

> "Uncle Ben" <reel_jemm_...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Now you're talking, good choice. The reviews are excellent ...
>
> I just placed the order at Amazon :-)

SNIP

Good for you, congrats! Perhaps in a month or so you can give us your
hands-on experience with it.

Happy Trails!

Rich

Oct 15, 2007, 3:03:12 PM10/15/07
On Oct 14, 7:45 am, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
wrote:

> Rich:
> Thank you so much for that - it really helps. It looks like the nuvi 660 is
> a good match - and it's on sale (and in stock) at Amazon for $540.48. That's
> just about what I was thinking I would have to spend.

You're welcome! And thanks so much for the link from your blog!

I think you'll love the nuvi 660. That's what I have. Cost me $750 a
year ago!

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 15, 2007, 9:28:19 PM10/15/07

> On Oct 14, 7:45 am, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>> Rich:
>> Thank you so much for that - it really helps. It looks like the nuvi 660
>> is
>> a good match - and it's on sale (and in stock) at Amazon for $540.48.
>> That's
>> just about what I was thinking I would have to spend.
>>

> You're welcome! And thanks so much for the link from your blog!

It's the least I could do :-)

> I think you'll love the nuvi 660. That's what I have. Cost me $750 a
> year ago!

It arrives tomorrow - I will let you know.

--

~ Kathleen

Kathleen Anderson

Oct 28, 2007, 1:20:18 PM10/28/07
"Rich" <richo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Oct 14, 7:45 am, "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwo...@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>> Rich:
>> Thank you so much for that - it really helps. It looks like the nuvi 660
>> is
>> a good match - and it's on sale (and in stock) at Amazon for $540.48.
>> That's
>> just about what I was thinking I would have to spend.
>>

> You're welcome! And thanks so much for the link from your blog!
>
> I think you'll love the nuvi 660. That's what I have. Cost me $750 a
> year ago!

I took my first trip last Tuesday night with the nuvi 660 and as I expected,
it worked perfectly. I only had one problem, and I think it's because my
eyesight isn't what it used to be. I came to an intersection and the nuvi
said 'turn left on such and such a street', and there were actually two
lefts at the intersection - a hard left and an angled left - and I couldn't
see the signs well enough to know which one to take. I guessed wrong, but
the nuvi quickly recalculated my route and got me where I wanted to go.

Thanks again,

--

~ Kathleen