Bluetooth adapter for Garmin Handheld GPS.

c.marco

Jun 21, 2005, 8:20:11 PM6/21/05
After readind the following page http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/P/pPBT i was
wondering if someone succeeded connecting a Garmin Gps to a PDA via
Bluetooth, not only using that cable but also with other RS232->BT
converter.

If positive, plz reply describing the experience.

Many thanks, Marco.

Holger Issle

Jun 22, 2005, 5:31:02 AM6/22/05

> wondering if someone succeeded connecting a Garmin Gps to a PDA via
> Bluetooth, not only using that cable but also with other RS232->BT
> converter.

the toy is called "picoplug", basically a serial-to-bt converter
http://www.sphinx-electronics.de/deutsch/bluetooth/picoplug.htm
--

Ciao,
Holger (GUS-KOTAL, GUS#1100)

90-92 Honda CB400 10 Mm | 93-95 Yamaha TDM 850 26 Mm
95-97 KTM 620 LC4 13 Mm | seit 97 BMW R1100GS 50 Mm (Die Renndrecksau!)

cu @ http://www.issle.de

c.marco

Jun 22, 2005, 3:41:22 PM6/22/05
Hi Holger,

>> wondering if someone succeeded connecting a Garmin Gps to a PDA via
>> Bluetooth, not only using that cable but also with other RS232->BT
>> converter.
>
> the toy is called "picoplug", basically a serial-to-bt converter
> http://www.sphinx-electronics.de/deutsch/bluetooth/picoplug.htm

i have just saw following items, available on several online stores :

http://www.free2move.se/prod_mod_AC2.htm

http://www.free2move.se/prod_spp.htm

The first one is a OEM module with built in antenna (about 55 Euros), the
second one is a complete device, but a little pricey for my taste ( 120
Euros).
Both ones have SPP Bluetooth profile, that makes them suitable (at least on
the paper) for GPS wireless connection.

Also Hamlet produces an interesting item :

http://www.hamletcom.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sid=b86ca954a9f247d7ade94aeea3f0b410&ProductId=3277&CategoryId=6

but again, little pricey (140 euros for a couple).

This weekend i'll go to Friedrichshafen Ham Messe, hoping to find some cheap
OEM BT module with SPP profile.

If not, i'll step to buy a BT GPS, like GR-236, if prices are good enough.
(in Italy, they cost double than US or Taiwan).

Ciao, Marco.

Holger Issle

Jun 23, 2005, 1:52:25 AM6/23/05
Hi Marco,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:41:22 GMT, "c.marco" wrote:

> If not, i'll step to buy a BT GPS, like GR-236, if prices are good enough.
> (in Italy, they cost double than US or Taiwan).

I own this one, the reception is MUCH better than any Garmin I know!
Currently I try to retire my Garmin 76S and only use the PocketPC.

I got mine from www.haids.de, an online store more next town to me,
they have good service and price. And I can pick it up instead of
delivery. You may want to ask them for a quote.

dto...@yahoo.com

Jun 23, 2005, 4:49:21 AM6/23/05
Holger Issle

>I own this one, the reception is MUCH better than any Garmin I know!
Currently I try to retire my Garmin 76S and only use the PocketPC.

Garmin uses their own chipset and if I am correct there is no
disclosure at all as to what they are using on different models

This is likely a one-sided view but there is not much info anywhere if
you really want to do some serious comparison

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=2

Daniel

Marco

Jun 23, 2005, 5:43:09 AM6/23/05
Hi Holger,

> I got mine from www.haids.de, an online store more next town to me,
> they have good service and price. And I can pick it up instead of
> delivery. You may want to ask them for a quote.

looking at their web site (with the aid of web translator because i do
not speak german at all) i found the following device :

http://www.haid-services.de/pd1226257065.htm?categoryId=30

a BT adapter for Garmin GPS powered by mean of two AA cells.

Just the toy that i was looking for.

Many Thanks.

Ciao, Marco.

Steve W

Jun 23, 2005, 3:09:23 PM6/23/05

"Marco" <ccm...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

Marco, this looks to be the same piece of hardware that I bought in the UK
a few weeks ago for $40.. It works fine. I chose to make a connecting
cable, but you could also buy one from the same company as I got the BT
adapter from. See:
http://pc-mobile.net/bta.htm

Steve

c.marco

Jun 23, 2005, 4:00:45 PM6/23/05
Hi Steve,

> Marco, this looks to be the same piece of hardware that I bought in the
> UK
> a few weeks ago for $40.. It works fine. I chose to make a connecting
> cable, but you could also buy one from the same company as I got the BT
> adapter from. See:
> http://pc-mobile.net/bta.htm
>
> Steve

just ordered; for the cable i already have a original Garmin, data & power
one, buyed some years ago for GPS 12.

Ho many days did you wait for the delivery ?

Many thanks, Marco.

Steve W

Jun 23, 2005, 6:01:23 PM6/23/05

"c.marco" <ccm...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

Marco, I ordered mine from PC-Mobile.net in the UK. It arrived from
PC-Mobile.net in 1or 2 days, can't remember which. I assume they shipped to
me from their UK warehouse. I have ordered several things from them and
have been pleased with their response.

Assuming the BT device you have ordered is the same as mine (it looks as
though it is), you will need a cable which has the Garmin connector at one
end and a 2.5mm stereo jack plug at the other. I made one fairly easily,
but if you don't want to do that, you will need to buy one from somewhere.
PC-Mobile.net have them.

Rgds
Steve