Etrex Summit HC is dead after a failed software update... Damn...

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 6:05:08 AM12/14/09
I have a trouble with my Summit HC. Updating my firmware using a
WebUpdate for Mac failed. It showed me the LOADER message for more
than 2 hours and I had to stop it as I was running low on my macbook
battery. Now it doesn't turn on and just blinks the screen once when I
press the power button, but doesn't start up. If you press the button
again it won't blink, but after you take the batteries out and put
them back and then press the power it takes place again.
There was a thread like that before(concerning Venture Etres) and
there was a link to a resource:
http://brilliantcorners.org/nodes/87-fixing-a-dead-garmin-gpsmap-60csx
The link is now dead - the blog has been wiped. does anyone have a
copy of the page?

The thing given in the mentioned thread didn't work (I pressed the
joystick up and the power button) - my updater doesn't see the device.
Did anyone have an issue like this about the summit etrex?

Rudy

Dec 14, 2009, 11:21:32 AM12/14/09

I had the same problem with my 60csx. There was a power outage exactly
in the middle of the update. The message on the 60csx was "Missing
software". To resolve the problem I downloaded the software from
Garmin site and loaded it directly without the webupdater.

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 11:33:20 AM12/14/09
You're right, but in my case there are no messages at all. Just a
single blink of a screen and no more response... I a, starting to
think it's dead.

Rudy

Dec 14, 2009, 11:51:05 AM12/14/09

Please try direct load, I am sure it will work. You have corrupted
software and there is a very good chance of success. All the necessary
info on how to do direct load is included in the zipped software file.

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 12:01:26 PM12/14/09

you're right, i was trying direct load and just according to the info
given in the file. unfortunately, it doesnt see my USB device and i
don't have a serial port cord for my GPS... may the combination (i
mean rocker+power button) is different for Summit?

Rudy

Dec 14, 2009, 12:16:37 PM12/14/09

If the software is corrupted the sequence of the button pushing is
irrelevant. the only solution is software reload or service.

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 12:32:47 PM12/14/09
> irrelevant. the only solution is software reload or service.- Скрыть цитируемый текст -
>
> - Показать цитируемый текст -

I'm thinking of showing it to one of the service engineers in the shop
I purchased the handheld in. But I have a strong bad tension that he'd
try the same combination LOL)
Everything fails since today's noon. No idea what else I could try...

Rudy

Dec 14, 2009, 12:43:46 PM12/14/09
> Everything fails since today's noon. No idea what else I could try...- Hide quoted text -

You said it blinks when you turn it on first time. Turn it on at the
same time you press OK button in the updater. (select USB first) Maybe
the usb is going to connect. Nothing to loose.

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 12:50:59 PM12/14/09
> the usb is going to connect. Nothing to loose.- Скрыть цитируемый текст -

> - Показать цитируемый текст -

Hmmm. nope didn't get him. BUT i found another nice phenomenon - even
is the batteries are out it blinks when connecte to a USB cord.
Strange stuff.. Will keep searching

Rudy

Dec 14, 2009, 1:48:15 PM12/14/09
> Strange stuff.. Will keep searching- Hide quoted text -

Yes.USB supplies 5vdc to Gps.

John Henderson

Dec 14, 2009, 2:12:34 PM12/14/09
Pavel wrote:

> I have a trouble with my Summit HC. Updating my firmware using a
> WebUpdate for Mac failed. It showed me the LOADER message for more
> than 2 hours and I had to stop it as I was running low on my macbook
> battery. Now it doesn't turn on and just blinks the screen once when I
> press the power button, but doesn't start up. If you press the button
> again it won't blink, but after you take the batteries out and put
> them back and then press the power it takes place again.
> There was a thread like that before(concerning Venture Etres) and
> there was a link to a resource:
> http://brilliantcorners.org/nodes/87-fixing-a-dead-garmin-gpsmap-60csx
> The link is now dead - the blog has been wiped. does anyone have a
> copy of the page?

http://brilliantcorners.org/2007/04/fixing-a-dead-garmin-gpsmap-60csx

John

Pavel

Dec 14, 2009, 3:33:02 PM12/14/09
Yeah, that's the page I found. Didn't work, unfortunately

Mike Mason

Dec 14, 2009, 4:09:58 PM12/14/09

"Pavel" <pavel.ma...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Why not ring Garmin and ask their advice.

Mike Mason

Pavel

Dec 18, 2009, 7:17:56 AM12/18/09
On 15 дек, 00:09, "Mike Mason" <mikema...@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> "Pavel" <pavel.makarev...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Finally i brought my Etrex to a service. It is dead. They said that it
was the deadiest unit they've ever seen for a while. And that failed
software really crashed it. I had to pay 160$ for a replacement, and
they gave me a new unit right on the spot. The good thing is that
guarantee for a new unit is official and renewed. In any case new unit
would cost twice of this price. So... may be it's just a lesson for
all of us. Take care!

Mike Russell

Dec 18, 2009, 11:33:32 AM12/18/09
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 04:17:56 -0800 (PST), Pavel wrote:

A lesson not to buy updates? What would you have done differently?
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

ps56k

Dec 18, 2009, 12:44:44 PM12/18/09
where are you located -
seem like you are international from your "cost" of 160$...

and did you try to contact Garmin directly ?

Etrex Summit HC -

GaryinOregon

Jan 5, 2010, 3:38:04 PM1/5/10

You have to keep holding the joystick in the up position all during
the process - it won't remain connected and complete the operation if
it's released before completion.

GaryinOregon

Jan 8, 2010, 7:20:08 PM1/8/10

Added to the above, is that the Garmin Webupdater seems to be
incompatible with the later service packs of XP - mine developed
Garmin update installation issues with my Venture HC after upgrading
XP to SP3. the fix, was to use XP's Windows Explorer to get direct to
the Garmin Webupdater program, right click on the program, select
Compatibility from the available options, and in my case, select
Windows 2000 as the compatibility choice - THEN, webupdater installed
the Garmin Venture HC update from 3.10 to 3.30 perfectly, where it had
failed 3 times previously in an exactly identical fashion.

The REAL annoyance here, is that Garmin *KNOWS* what the problem is,
has discussed it in their own sire technical forums - yet has NOT
made the "fix" public, or included appropriate cure measures along
with their various updates - instead, they hide behind forcing users
to THEMSELVES assume ALL liability and responsibility for upgrade
failures, and damage or problems with the software or hardware during
an upgrade. Of course, for a CHARGE, you can send it back to THEM for
repair/recovery. the very SAME repair/recovery method they COULD
provide direct to the customer!

It's GARMIN'S GPS unit, THEIR software upgrade, and THEIR update
program - WHY does it automatically become the USER'S problem when it
FAILS!?

WHAT a cop out - and pretty CHEAP, Garmin!

ps56k

Jan 8, 2010, 7:26:29 PM1/8/10
huh ?

running XP SP/3
using WebUpdater 2.4.2

runs fine with our Nuvi 255 & 260

Message has been deleted

GaryinOregon

Jan 8, 2010, 7:48:36 PM1/8/10

Try it with a Venture HC - or with a Summit HC, like THIS thread is
all about...

Pavel

Jan 9, 2010, 1:44:34 PM1/9/10

Hi again! My trouble was that I am in Russia and I purchased a GPS
unit from an unofficial retailer. He buys them in U.S. and brings here
at a lower price, so I had no chance for a free service. So they
replaced my DEAD unit for a fee and the new one will have a free
guarantee so if it happens again replacement will be free, I think
that Garmin are cunning sons of.... All such dead GPS units are packed
and sent back to Garmin. There they replace the software and sell them
at a full price again. I am most sure they get a good "geschaft" on
that. In any case, it's a lesson for me.

P.S. About the "Joystick pad holding up" - in my case in did not work,
I tried 50 times may be. I was too unlucky to interrupt the update
somewhere at a crucial moment.