lane assist

Zero

Apr 6, 2009, 12:16:20 PM4/6/09
I´m a kind of newbie... but what are de benefits of the "lane assist"?
thanks

Rich

Apr 6, 2009, 12:41:06 PM4/6/09

"Zero" <ru...@portugalmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I´m a kind of newbie... but what are de benefits of the "lane assist"?
> thanks

Very little IMHO, if you know your going to be taking a left up ahead and
your in the right lane do you need someone to tell you to move towards the
left? Depends on how you use yours verses how I use mine I guess.

Rich

Jeffrey Kaplan

Apr 6, 2009, 1:41:28 PM4/6/09
Previously on alt.satellite.gps.garmin, Zero said:

> IŽm a kind of newbie... but what are de benefits of the "lane assist"?

IMO, on the highway it's of virtually zero benefit. The unit alerts
you far enough in advance (as do the highway road signs) of upcoming
turns and on what side of the roadway they're on. Highway signs will
also (usually) indicate if an upcoming interchange is more than one
lane wide.

Where I would like to see "lane assist" is on city streets.

There are plenty of places where to go "straight" on a road, you have
to slalom back and forth between lanes because what was a travel lane
has suddenly become a turn-only lane, followed in quick succession by
the other travel lane (in the same direction) suddenly becoming a
turn-only lane in the other direction. All without any signs except
for painted markings on the pavement that may be worn away or obscured
by snow/sand/dirt/other vehicles.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and
judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, may
justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny." - James Madison,
The Federalist Papers

Jack Yeazel

Apr 6, 2009, 3:37:03 PM4/6/09
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Previously on alt.satellite.gps.garmin, Zero said:
>
>> IŽm a kind of newbie... but what are de benefits of the "lane assist"?
>
> IMO, on the highway it's of virtually zero benefit. The unit alerts
> you far enough in advance (as do the highway road signs) of upcoming
> turns and on what side of the roadway they're on. Highway signs will
> also (usually) indicate if an upcoming interchange is more than one
> lane wide.
>
> Where I would like to see "lane assist" is on city streets.

In Atlanta, Lane Assist is shown on city streets, if they are US or State highways:
http://gpsinformation.info/nuvi/660/7x5.html#Lane

--
Jack

Get general GPS information at: http://www.gpsinformation.net/

Marshall Tucker

Apr 6, 2009, 4:04:24 PM4/6/09
"Zero" <ru...@portugalmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I´m a kind of newbie... but what are de benefits of the "lane assist"?
> thanks

Pros: A little extra notice beyond what the plain vanilla spoken
instructions give re: stick to right or left side of road.

Cons: Looking at the screen going 65 mph in traffic on an unfamiliar road is
a recipe for an accident...

CB...@webtv.net

Apr 7, 2009, 8:34:54 AM4/7/09
I like lane asist WITH junction view.Especially around airports and
major roads that come together here in NY and NJ.The signage view makes
it much easier to be in the right lane where the regular voice command
and picture doesn't always place you on the lane you shoud be in

pj

Apr 7, 2009, 5:41:10 PM4/7/09
Great if you travel unfamiliar surroundings at
rush hour.
--
pj

Marshall Tucker

Apr 7, 2009, 5:54:57 PM4/7/09
"pj" <pj4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49DBC876...@yahoo.com...

...and you don't mind getting into-- or causing-- an accident because you're
watching the screen instead of the road ;-)