Webgui error: Unexpected Error: Shutting Down

fer...@ibm.net

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
When i click on webgui, now gives the message unexpected error: shutting
down. I have had this error
before. Support told me to rebuild Direcpc. After rebuilding it ran fine,
now it is broke again.

i would not like to rebuild DirecPc.

is this a known problem with an easy solution.

henry

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

Bert

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
The solution for me was to just use DirecPC for Web surfing and
downloading. I reinstalled the software, turned off the Webcast and
newsreader "push" features and haven't had any Webgui problems since
(knock on wood).

Lloyd Parsons

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Darrel Toepfer wrote in message
<01be399e$65778420$fa56...@8233.DIRECPC.COM>...
>fer...@ibm.net wrote...
>: When i click on webgui, now gives the message unexpected error: shutting

>: down. I have had this error
>: before. Support told me to rebuild Direcpc. After rebuilding it ran fine,
>: now it is broke again.
>:
>: i would not like to rebuild DirecPc.
>:
>: is this a known problem with an easy solution.
>
>On page 4721 of the user manual it states, "Whatever you did to create
>this error, don't do that. After rebuilding it should work as designed."
<g>

>Actually David Graham is our "expert" on webgui, he's out to lunch at
>the moment, perhaps try back in about 1.5 hours... Be sure to have
>all the necessary tools required for "rebuilding" readily accessible.
>Debuilding only requires a sledgehammer or shotgun, whichever
>is in accordance with local ordinances and codes... <BG>
>
>And to think, some bozo called me "rude" and my posts "unhelpful"...
>Go figure...

The only part of this post I don't understand is, how do you know David
Graham will return? I thought he was always out to lunch. Or is that just
'out there'? <G>

Darrel Toepfer

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

David Graham

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Lloyd Parsons wrote:

> Darrel Toepfer wrote in message
> <01be399e$65778420$fa56...@8233.DIRECPC.COM>...

> >fer...@ibm.net wrote...
> >: When i click on, now gives the message unexpected error: shutting

> The only part of this post I don't understand is, how do you know David
> Graham will return? I thought he was always out to lunch. Or is that just
> 'out there'? <G>

<chomp-chomp> ... I heard you two and I'm out to lunch ... out there
too .. and I'm staying out when it comes to anything that says "webgui."
That's a DPC 2.0 term and I don't ever want to hear it again. OK? ...
OK ...

Rebuild DirecPC:
I prefer debuild. Debuild is my forte. I was born for "debuild."

Now lets get rid of that "webgui" PERMANENTLY.

First let's run "DirecPC True Temp Test ONE" of the PCI card:

No paper clips or meters needed. Get one bobby pin. This is a delicate
operation. Having the cover off the tower is optional but having the PCI
card in the PCI expansion slot and the computer turned to "ON" is
essential. Unscrew that cable coming from the dish. See that little
silver thing you unscrewed the cable from and the plastic inside and
that little bitty hole in the center? Now bite those round plastic
things off the ends off the bobby pin, spread but do NOT spring the pin
permanently. Be sure one bobby contacts the center lead. Yes it's a
tight fit thru that hole in the plastic to contact the center lead, and
should be too. And now the other bobby should spring to a clamped
position securely on the ground, where the thready part is, if you
didn't sprang it all to hell. Yes, it is normal to see a small spark on
contact. If you did not see
the spark you could have taken more than 20 minutes to prepare for this
test and a reboot may be necessary. Go ahead, I'll wait .... I'll run
over to Iomega and check a quick Zip repair.....

OK, now sprang the old bobby pin and let'r go again. Same sound FAP
makes, huh? Okie-dokie, now just let'r rest there for a spell. Warm to
the touch yet? Okie-dokie, you're doing good. We're looking for hot. PCI
are hot critters and their temperature should never be taken cold. Now, if
you chose the "tower cover off" option reach right in there and feel the
PCI card without touching the metal cabinet of the computer enclosure or
any of its metal parts. Good! See a little spark when you touched the
silvery tuner box towqards the rear. Good sign. Now! .. does the
temperature of the bobby pin seem to be reaching the same temperature of
the PCI card itself. Not yet, OK, some of these are downright stubborn
to the TrueTest. Let'r run a bit and the bobby should get HOT. Just keep
feeling of that thang ..and the card .. rubbing the cat don't hurt
either before reaching in there to feel the DPC card itself. OK .. the
pin is now hotter than the card. Very good ... Now the card seems to
cooling now ... and the bobby pin is too. ... very good ... the test
is complete. ... Unless it ran another 20 minutes and another reboot is
necessary ... but, lets reboot just to be sure ... leave the bobby pin
in place and reboot. I'll dash over to Iomega to check a quick Jaz
repair and be back in a flash ...

Okie-dokie Now .. if that card is NOT warming up and the bobby pin is
still cool, the "DirecPC True Temp Test ONE" was successful and you have
one of DirecPC's better PCI cards. Now don't ever EVER mess with
anything that says "webgui" and DPC 2.0 or DirecPC again. Shouldn't
a'hurt the modem .. use it, be happy and water the birds with the dish
.... s'what it was made for anyhow ..

Henry Fernandez

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
they will not let us have metal bobby pins here. do you have anyother
suggestions....Henry

Lloyd Parsons

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

David Graham wrote in message <3693ECE5...@sig.net>...
Let's add to the WebGUI saga .... If I run the DirecPC icon on the
desktop, then until I reboot I have to use that icon for the web browser to
get out on the net. That is not supposed to happen.

BTW, what did you have for lunch?

I'm impressed with your technical expertise, this is definitely the way to
give a real 'power test' to most electronics. <G>

Lloyd

David Graham

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

You're running DPC 2.0 and that's not supposed to happen either.

> BTW, what did you have for lunch?

I was working on gettin' rid of a case of chicken corny dogs I bought by
mistake. Real things are better. Hope to buy "real" junk dogs when I
reduce the present inventory.

Only to things you hate or want to return defective.

But I plugged the PCI card into the satellite receiver by mistake about
3:00 am one time when I had too cables in my hands for 3:00 am. Blue
spark gap was pretty wide. <G> They must have good overload protectors
on 'em. Pointing program didn't work very good that way though. PCI runs
cooler and better ever since. <G> Good old beta version PCI ... stays
alive all the time ... really does .. always did ..

David

> Lloyd

Lloyd Parsons

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

David Graham wrote in message <3694E028...@sig.net>...
I know, but I LIKE the newscast, and it mostly works (except for the
boobless nudes because of incomplete multi-parts)

<G>

>> BTW, what did you have for lunch?
>
>I was working on gettin' rid of a case of chicken corny dogs I bought by
>mistake. Real things are better. Hope to buy "real" junk dogs when I
>reduce the present inventory.

Gack! I'm not a corn dog afficiando, but I don't like much of the 'poultry'
substitutes for real food at all.

I still like my beef rare, my chicken and fish fried and my pork well done!

Lloyd

<<snip>>

Henry Fernandez

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Yes English is my native tongue. I telling you this so that you will not
think that any ethnic group types
and spells as poorly as I do. I was born and bred in the USA and went to
some of its finest schools.

I will try to be more careful when I type. My finger inaccuracy is probably
why my early career as a piano
player was short lived.

Now from all of these notes it no longer clear where the files are and if
the integrity of them has been
preserved. If they are good somewhere please say where and I will pull them
down tonight.