Water tank , and bad water taste...

Homer

Aug 7, 2006, 8:28:02 AM8/7/06
How often do you sanitized the water tank ?

I have a Pop up (Clipper) and the water coming from the plastic tank
taste likes s....t !!! taste like water that stay in a water hose under
the sun , plastic taste, you get the picture ??? It is because I dont
sanitize everytime I use it ??

Filling the tank , rinsing it and refilling is sometimes correcting the
problem...I think !! Any idea to permanently fix that problem will be
welcome ;-)

GBinNC

Aug 7, 2006, 9:30:38 AM8/7/06
On 7 Aug 2006 05:28:02 -0700, "Homer" <richardg...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

While it's still mostly full, add a cup or so of baking soda. Drive it
around for a few minutes -- include some quick stops and starts and some
sharp curves <g> -- to mix and slosh it around. Then drain it and refill
with fresh, clean water.

Depending on your usage schedule (of the popup, I mean), it might be
better to drain the tank after each trip and refill it just before your
next one, instead of leaving the water in it between uses. Be sure to
leave the tank open so it can dry completely. (You may be already doing
this, but you didn't say so.)

HTH.

GB in NC

Frank Tabor

Aug 7, 2006, 10:02:25 AM8/7/06
"Homer" <richardg...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Are you using a food grade white hose sold at Walmart and most RV supply
places, or are you using a garden hose?
--
Frank Tabor

Rick Onanian

Aug 7, 2006, 12:45:49 PM8/7/06
Homer wrote:
> How often do you sanitized the water tank ?

I did it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Before that, I used
bottled water for drinking and cooking, as my TT is rather old, and I
don't know what the previous owners have/haven't done.

> the sun , plastic taste, you get the picture ??? It is because I dont
> sanitize everytime I use it ??

Could be, or like Frank said, could be your supply hose.

> Filling the tank , rinsing it and refilling is sometimes correcting the
> problem...I think !! Any idea to permanently fix that problem will be
> welcome ;-)

If GB in NC's baking soda idea isn't enough, Trailer Life's Rv Repair
and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston (great book, highly
recommended, answers almost all questions much more quickly and
authoritatively than writing to alt.rv) provides basically the
following procedure:
Fill the tank with water and 1/2 cup of bleach.
Run through entire system, including enough to replace all the old
water in the water heater tank. Drive around to slosh it to get top of
tank, etc.
Drain all water.
Repeat with 1/2 cup of baking soda to get rid of bleach funk.

I didn't drive around, but my tank is at the far rear of my TT, and I
was able to watch it slosh well enough as I jumped up and down like a
gorilla, near the rear of the TT. Also, after the baking soda phase, I
filled and dumped the tank twice, then ran a whole tank of fresh water
through everything. It's probably excessive, but I'm pretty picky about
my water.

Well, most of a tank, until my water pump finally failed. That reminds
me, I haven't checked to see if the pump works now. I hope it was just
auto-shutoff from an overheating-protection circuit...else, I need a
new pump.

Homer

Aug 8, 2006, 5:28:49 AM8/8/06

Rick Onanian a écrit :

Ok guys I'ill try the baking soda trick , thanks

William Boyd

Aug 8, 2006, 10:40:52 PM8/8/06
Homer wrote:

Use the bleach FIRST baking soda will not sanitize the tank.

--

BILL P.
Just

GBinNC

Aug 9, 2006, 12:04:23 AM8/9/06
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:40:52 -0500, William Boyd
<willi...@cableone.net> wrote:

>>Ok guys I'ill try the baking soda trick , thanks

>Use the bleach FIRST baking soda will not sanitize the tank.

I didn't suggest the bleach because although he did ask at first how
often people sanitize their tanks, he really just seemed to want to get
the plastic taste out.

Baking soda will do that.

GB in NC

William Boyd

Aug 9, 2006, 9:23:47 AM8/9/06
GBinNC wrote:

The bleach will do that, the soda will help take the bleach taste out.

Jon Porter

Aug 9, 2006, 1:50:06 PM8/9/06

"William Boyd" <willi...@cableone.net> wrote in message

I just change the water, forget about going to the bother of the other
steps. If the fresh water sits in there long enough, then it'll absorb the
taste again. When changing out the water, the lines and water heater also
get drained.

I only bleach as part of the routine spring shakedown. Once the system is
filled with city water, it's safe from infection unless that water sits in
there for a very long time. Such as until next year.
--
Jon
JPinOH