Shortcut from Page, AZ to Bryce Canyon, UT???

snow

May 9, 2004, 10:48:28 AM5/9/04
I am going out west from the Maine this summer and in my atlas there appears
to be a road about 35 miles west of Page, AZ. It is located off route 89 in
Utah and heads upto Kodachrome Basin State Park. The road also connects to
routh 12 into Bryce Canyon. Is this a well kept road??? Is it narrow or
steep?? I got one atlas that says its umpaved but another that says it is
paved. Any information on this road appreciated as I am hoping to go to
Bryce then to Zion afterwards. This route would save some time and mileage
if its decent shape.

Richard McBane

May 9, 2004, 12:00:13 PM5/9/04
snow wrote:

There is an unpaved road that goes from Kodachrome Basin State Park to
89 through the Escalante Staircase National Monument. I drove it last
October. Parts were okay, part were badly rutted and washboarded. The
speed limit was 35mph although there were stretches that were much
slower others were easily faster. There are sections that are narrow
with numerous blind curves. Several grades that were 1st or 2nd gear.
This is one of the few road in the monument that they claim is passable
without a high clearance vehicle and "maintained". I suspect that means
they grade it once or twice a year. Don't drive it if there has been
rain, there are many clay sections sections that would be too slick if
wet. If you are coming from 89, the best sections of the road are the
first 5 or 10 miles north of 89, good visibility and reasonably wide.
It get worse as you go North.

I saw a dozen or so sedans traveling the road. I don't think I would
try to pull a trailer over it, although you probably could take a PU if
you take it easy. The biggest hazards were other cars that parked in
the middle of the road with all doors open to take photograph, just
around blind curves or over the crest of steep hills.

I found the scenery and the geology interesting and considered it
worthwhile. It is about 45 miles from KBSP to 89. I think with stops
it took about 2 hours or so.

I stayed at Kodachrome Basin State Park and enjoyed the stay.
--
Richard McBane

snow

May 9, 2004, 2:09:03 PM5/9/04
Richard,
Thanks for the info, that is definately the road.
"Richard McBane" <rmc...@netscape.net> wrote in message

TAMMY

May 12, 2004, 10:42:59 AM5/12/04
"snow" <dles...@powerlink.net> wrote in message news:<109ssrg...@corp.supernews.com>...
Richard we are considering a similiar trip this summer, and are
considering staying at a KOA in Glendale UT, it is in between
Zion/Bryce. But, Uncle wants to go to Grand Canyon, (train thing) with
us towing trailers, should we go around by interstates then? Or is
there a good road from GC to Bryce? Also, have you been to Grand
Staircase, was it worth it? Lake Powell? North Rim?
Tammy
00 Niagara
99 F150
3 kids 1 husband, Uncle on this one
150

DTT

May 15, 2004, 2:56:17 AM5/15/04
There are 2 KOA in the area. One is south of the 89-Zion junction, and
one is North. I believe the Glendale KOA is the North which does not
look very nice as compared to the KOA in the South. I would not
recommend staying in neither KOA unless you can't reserve for the site
in the park.

There are couple private CG West and East of Zion. Watchman CG inside
Zion has electric hook up, and probably the best. There is a Utah
state park West of Bryce that is very nice, but probably no hook up.
None of the CG in Bryce has hookup.

There is CG inside North Rim GC, again no hook up.

The GC train is on the South Rim. A round trip North Rim to the South
rim and back will take whole day of driving.

Make sure you see the GC first, then see Zion and Bryce second and
third.

Have a good trip.