Erie KOA Report

eflorack

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
I wish I could say I had a postive experience at the Erie KOA.
I can't.

I can't lay blame at any one aspect of the place, so I don't know
as it'd be fair to say this trip could have been a better one
given different management.

I rolled in in Saturday afternoon; the place was pretty well
full... and 'jammed full' would be the phrase. I swear, I have
never seen campsites so close to each other in any other campsite
I've ever been to, and when the place gets full... hoo boy.

The office staff was rather nice, the camp store in good shape,
and fairly well stocked.

I got to my site... 22... and the first thing I noticed was the
large dog turd when I unwittingly stepped into as I stepped from
the truck. (Oh, Joy. Rapture.) It was shortly thereafter that I
noticed I was positioned directly across the narrow road from the
dumping station. (I decieded at that point there was something of
a theme developing, here)

I set up camp, without incident. I noted that the power hookups
were set up for both regular 20amp service and 30amp Shore Power
service. Nice touch, that.

After getting things situated, we started to check out the camp
at large. A goodly mix of camper types, perhaps a few more hi-low
types than I've seen. A few big rigs, that tended to make the
sites look even smaller.

The place has a pond that looked interesting, (Paddle boats,
catch- and- release fishing) but nothng I'd want to swim in...
there's a fairly good pool for that. The Rec center looks OK...
has a Jukebox that plays 45. Heck, I didn't know anyone was even
MAKING 45's anymore.

Rest rooms were fairly clean... since this was one night only and
a short hop to the house, I didn't get the chance to check out
the showers.

They also were doing some kind of a theme weekend, when we showed
up. The movie for the night was the original 20,000 leauges under
the sea.... which as it turned out was the secondary theme for
the visit. To say it rained would be like saying that Sir Alec
Guiness did a little acting.

My first action the following morning was to push perhaps 5
gallons of water out of my awning, and make note of all the
new leaks I found. The site drainage left something to be
desired... and from looking around I found I was not alone.... in
particular the poor schmuck a few sites over who was tent-camping
was having LOTS of fun, and appeard to be learning a new
language, to boot.

Having seen the good effort other KOA's go through to maintain
their sites after every visitor checks out, (clean, level,
dry) and therefore, maintaining their reputation, one wonders
what their policy is here.

As to the site size issue.... Perhaps it's just me, but does
anyone else dislike having to say 'excuse me' to the folks in the
next site when putting their awning up?

(Ok, I'm strecthing it a bit... but not much.)

Guess I'll check out other operations next in Erie... there are
several... a few within shooting distance.

/E

*Rules: *
*1: Democrats Lie. *
*2: See rule 1 *

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Brenda

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
Last August, we tried to get into a State Park near Omaha, but
it was sold out so we stayed at a KOA. We were so close to the
people next to us we couldn't even use our awning and my
daughter kept tripping over their tent poles.

Brenda
Toronto, Canada
1999 Coleman Sea Pine

cajuncamper

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
When I first camped in my trailer, I naturally looked for KOAs. My
experience was not quite as bad as yours, but enough like it that had it not
been for discovering state parks, I most likely would be well into a new
hobby by this time.

What did you mean by a few "hi-low types"?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"8-) Hal - Cajun Camper

Carl & Renee

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
Oh, suddenly I'm having a bad feeling about our reservations at
the Seattle-Tacoma KOA.... I'm really excited about the KOA at
West Glacier - they've got a great website and it looks like
there are lots of trees between sites... I can't really
determine what the Yellowstone park is going to be like, but
Seattle looks scarey....

Any other KOA input out there?

Carl & Renee

cajuncamper

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
Not to worry, Carl. Anyplace in a beautiful state like Washington, even the
emergency lane, must be beautiful.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"8-) Hal - Cajun Camper
00' Towlite 17'
98 GMC Sierra ext cab
5.7L v-8 w/3:42 locking rear
Flowmaster dual exhaust -Towing package
see my pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=956595&a=7000568

"Carl & Renee" <crahedstr...@uswest.net.invalid> wrote in message

MikenDeb

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
The West Glacier KOA and the West Yellowstone KOA are both great
campgrounds - 2 of our favorites. The West Glacier does have
lots of trees, but don't expect "state park" kind of room
between camp sites. (This is true of most private campgrounds
I've stayed at, KOA's and otherwise...nobody but the govt...and
Disney...can afford to put one site every 20' to 30'!) At West
Glacier, our site had enough room for the picnic table between
our site and the site on either side (8 feet maybe?), but there
are lots of trees in that space...you are definitely in a
forest. I seem to recall a bit more room per site at West
Yellowstone. The West Yellowstone KOA was built in a hilly
pasture (for lack of a better description) and the trees there
were planted with the landscaping. Both campgrounds are clean
and well layed out...you'll enjoy both!

Mike Mason Austin TX
Ah luvsmah Co'man

CRETEJR

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00

I am glad you posted about this campground. My friend lives in Erie and I was
planning to drive to see her and stay there with my kids. Looks like I'll look
outside of town too.

Nell
1998 Coleman Casa Grande
1999 Chevy Conversion Van
NY

Sixpopuppers

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
I have learned that one man's heaven is another man's hell!

Case in point: Our next door neighbors (with 4 kids under age
13) have been camping at a commercial-type chain campground for
years. They raved about it, loved it, recommended it! So much
so that when planning a group trip with 2 other families, it was
my first choice and I called to reserve 3 sites.

My neighbor came over with a map of the campground and showed us
his favorite site and I asked him if the sites I had reserved
were good ones. His reply - well, there can be a lot of traffic
going by there because its on the way to the mini-golf. I asked
if its a quiet area and he said the campground is not
exactly "quiet".

I immediately got on the phone and changed reservations to a
different *quiet* campground which we all ended up loving!
While there, we took a quick drive to check out the original
campground - WHOA!!! Mega-activity, small sites, no privacy,
etc. etc.

Turns out our neighbor loves that campground because there is so
much entertainment for his kids and that way HE gets to relax.
Our idea of camping, is quiet, somewhat secluded, yet still some
things for the kids to do (swim, hike, fish instead of arcades,
mini-golf, etc.).

So when you ask someone for a recommendation, by all means don't
neglect to ask them WHY they like that particular campground!

As an aside: In the Wooddalls directory this campground (the
busy one) had a 4-5 star rating. I couldn't figure it out - it
seemed like a horrible place to me! Then I read the rating
system and these places are given stars for having more
conveniences and being more developed. So if you like rustic,
go for less stars.

Kris

1998 Astro
1997 Starcraft Starlounge
visit my website: http://www.homestead.com/sixpoppers/

Carl & Renee

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
Have you ever been to the Seattle Tacoma KOA? That's the one
that's concerning us the most. The pictures on the web make it
look like a parking lot with an occasional tree for interest. I
realize it's an "urban" campground, but... privacy is always
nice!

George Miklas

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
I had a bad experience at the Kinzua East KOA in PA. For my
review of it, check out http://tellalltravel.com

George

Camping page http://www.pathway.net/harmonicat/camping.htm

rlh6805

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
KOA's, boy this is a touchy subject for me. In a nut shell: I
HATE THEM!. Sorry for shouting. When I go camping I too like to
be in a somewhat secluded area. I don't like camping in an
amusement park, as I fondly refer to KOA's as. Now, I have only
been to one, near Port Huron MI. This place had a swimming pool,
arcade, mini-golf ect... This is fine if you are at a
hotel/resort or something, but when I go camping I don't want
any of that. One of the other posters mentioned something about
keeping kids busy. Well, if your kids need to be kept busy when
there are woods/bike paths/swimming beaches/nature trails ect..
like in a state campground, well they have a screw loose. You
can keep your KOA, give me a state campground any day.
Rob H
Rob & Cindy in Michigan
1999 Chevy Suburban
2000 Palomino Mustang

Carl & Renee

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
Whoo hoooo!!!! You go girl!

Have fun with just the hubby! Sounds like you more than deserve
a little getaway!

R.

Brenda

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
Have a great time this weekend Sharon!! It's a long weekend here
in Ontario so we'll be spending 3 nights camping about 2 hours
north of Toronto at Six Mile Lake Provincial Park. Hope the
weather is as nice as it's supposed to be. Have fun!

Brenda
Toronto, Canada
1999 Coleman Sea Pine

CRAIG9952

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
I stayed at Erie KOA around the 2nd weekend in July. Site 21 to be exact.This
is one of the SMALLEST KOA's that ive stayed in the sites are VERY close
together.
I arrived on a friday night about 7pm . Found the people there to be VERY
freindly. They lead me to the site and even helped guide my popup into it. They
also took time to bring a portable airtank to my site to put air in both of my
popup tires..
The restrooms were clean as were the showers that had floormats, A nice touch
i think. the campsite was clean.
I have no problem coming back to this KOA,But i think i would ask for a
sight out from under the trees. I enjoy stargazing at night and this particular
sight #21 has alot of Glare from the night lights.And is under the trees.. Also
i would go further back because of the noise from the road.
All in All i think i would give this place a "B" grade.But That's just my
own personal opinion.. Craig

vjstangelo

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
I also have been to the Verona KOA and found it to be worth
going back to. For those with the opinion that the children can
be turned loose on the hiking trails, remember that this is not
an option for real youngsters like mine (6 and 7 years old). I
absolutely will not let them out of my site in the wilderness
for obvious reasons. Hence our option for getting them out of
my hair for one hour is to go to a KOA, pick a site near the
playground, and turn them loose there. Maybe when they get to 8-
10 years old or so, then setting them on their own will be an
option.

We've been out with our new camper two times to date: once to
the Verona KOA (very nice) and the KOA at the Outer banks
(somewhat cramped, but loads to do for my kids, hence piece of
mind for me). We are going to Williamsburg (Busch Gardens) this
weekend and are going to KOA once again. We do intend to hit
the state parks also, and I'm sure we'll be just as pleased
there as we were at the KOA's to date.

eflorack

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
crai...@aol.com (CRAIG9952) wrote:
>I stayed at Erie KOA around the 2nd weekend in July. Site 21 to
be exact.

Then you were in the spot right next to mine.
(You didn't bring a largish dog, did you? (Chuckle))

>This is one of the SMALLEST KOA's that ive stayed in the sites
>are VERY close together.

Oh, yeah... It's true.

> I arrived on a friday night about 7pm . Found the people there
to be VERY
>freindly. They lead me to the site and even helped guide my
popup into it. They
>also took time to bring a portable airtank to my site to put air
in both of my
>popup tires..

I get the impression that the staff here wasn't the issue, as
I've said.

>i think. the campsite was clean.

Perhaps I caught them on a less than average day?

> I have no problem coming back to this KOA,But i think i would
ask for a
>sight out from under the trees. I enjoy stargazing at night and
this particular
>sight #21 has alot of Glare from the night lights.And is under
the trees..

Yeah... the trees were a big deal. THey harbor a lot of
fireflies... and the kid loved 'em.

>i would go further back because of the noise from the road.

I guess I would as well... though farther back is all wooded, if
I recall right.

*Rules: *
*1: Democrats Lie. *
*2: See rule 1 *

MikenDeb

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
Well put Sharon...ditto for us!

Mike Mason Austin TX
Ah luvsmah Co'man

Wizard4440

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
I second that! NO KOA for me either. Again, one must qualify why they like
or dislike a particular "type" of camping. I camp to get away from the
pools, arcades, lights, whistles, buzzers...etc. The last thing I want to
hear from my child is "I'm going to the arcade" at a CAMPGROUND! Not in my
family. But if this is what you like then by all means go there and enjoy.
Give me the serenity of the babbling brook, and the crackle of the logs in
the campfire. The sights of woods and streams...of hills ands dales. These
are a few of my favorite things. Hey, that's in a song!

--
~Jim~
"Never underestimate the power

rlh6805 <rlh...@excite.com> wrote in message

> KOA's, boy this is a touchy subject for me. In a nut shell: I
> HATE THEM!. Sorry for shouting. When I go camping I too like to
> be in a somewhat secluded area. I don't like camping in an
> amusement park, as I fondly refer to KOA's as. Now, I have only
> been to one, near Port Huron MI. This place had a swimming pool,
> arcade, mini-golf ect... This is fine if you are at a
> hotel/resort or something, but when I go camping I don't want
> any of that. One of the other posters mentioned something about
> keeping kids busy. Well, if your kids need to be kept busy when
> there are woods/bike paths/swimming beaches/nature trails ect..
> like in a state campground, well they have a screw loose. You
> can keep your KOA, give me a state campground any day.
> Rob H
> Rob & Cindy in Michigan
> 1999 Chevy Suburban
> 2000 Palomino Mustang

rlh6805

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
"Wizard4440" <Wizar...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>I second that! NO KOA for me either. Again, one must qualify
why they like
>or dislike a particular "type" of camping. I camp to get away
from the
>pools, arcades, lights, whistles, buzzers...etc. The last thing
I want to
>hear from my child is "I'm going to the arcade" at a
CAMPGROUND! Not in my
>family. But if this is what you like then by all means go there
and enjoy.
>Give me the serenity of the babbling brook, and the crackle of
the logs in
>the campfire. The sights of woods and streams...of hills ands
dales. These
>are a few of my favorite things. Hey, that's in a song!
>
>--
> ~Jim~
>"Never underestimate the power
>of stupid people in large groups"

Well I'm glad someone else agrees with my opinion. My kids
get eneough of TV & video games at home. I second that the last
thing I want to hear is "I'm going to the arcade" while we are
camping.

rlh6805

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Wow, you said a mouthfull. It's obvious that KOA's and the
like appeal to lots of people. They make a heck of alot of
money. Most of which is derived from all of the ammenities which
I know arn't all included with the nights fee. Do they even
charge to use the pool??.
In Michigan the fee for a state campground is much less
(around $14/night) than at KOA/private campgrounds, which I know
can be upwards of $25/night. I do not want to pay allmost twice
as much to get, IMHO, less of a camping experience.

WB

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
In article <39887891...@home.com>,
IslandGirl <islandg...@home.com> wrote:
> Well Rob:), it is subjective what one likes or dislikes.&nbsp; I know
for
> us, we break every <b>rule</b> of camping!&nbsp; We take a TV, we have
> A/C, and we <b>like</b> facilities in the summer!&nbsp; My husband and
> I work very hard.....I teach school and direct the before and after
school
> daycare program.&nbsp; My hours are very long during the school
year...I
> work from 7:30 AM till 6:00 PM at night and sometimes even later if
someone
> forgets to pick up their child.&nbsp; My husband leaves for his job as
> a Computer Analyst at 5 AM.&nbsp; The only time that I even get a
chance
> to watch TV or enjoy life is on the weekends because my time is spent
grading
> papers, getting ready for the next day, etc.&nbsp; In between our
jobs,
> we have 3 teens that are involved with things at their high school.
When
> we go camping we want to relax and do some things that we might not do
> ordinarily.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Verona KOA is like no other campground we
have
> been to.....it is a very natural setting.&nbsp; It is park like, yet
is
> not so rustic that you have to have a&nbsp; portable shower with you
in
> order to bathe.(I would HATE that as <b>I must</b> have my shower:)
&nbsp;
> You can go out to the waterfalls and stand in them.....you can rent a
tube
> and put it in the river and lazily drift down to you get to where the
falls
> drops into the river.&nbsp; On the activity side, there is a pool
which
> we have only used once....we preferred the lake that they turned into
> stocked fishing hole:(&nbsp; The hubby and I love the jacuzzis though!
&nbsp;
> We have had a river site and it is so relaxing on a moonlit evening to
> just sit or just listen to the river as you drift to sleep.&nbsp; I am
> not necessarily into hiking, reading or whatever.&nbsp; Trust me, I
hike
> enough around school as well as read.....I want to be involved in
other
> things!&nbsp; Honestly, I think what I love most about camping is that
> all of us actually eat together!&nbsp; You may think that is funny,
but
> with a 16, 15, and 13 year old, it is truly a big deal to do that!
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> for you. and I certainly can respect that:)&nbsp;&nbsp; The Verona KOA
> is IMHO one of the nicest campgrounds I have been to! (and we have
been
> to<b> many</b> campgrounds!) In our little corner of the world, the
state
> campgrounds are not much.....I have camped at 3 Maryland private ones
as
> well and can tell you, I was NOT impressed.&nbsp; The price to camp in
> a public one is just as much as a private one.....so my feeling on
that
> is why bother?&nbsp; Until we get something better, my money and
camper
> will head to PA and VA on&nbsp; the weekend!&nbsp; Besides that, where
> is it written that camping HAS to be about roughing it? (I get that
impression
> from many of the posts I read)&nbsp; We didn't rough it in a tent, so
why
> would we do it in a pop up?&nbsp;&nbsp; If you don't want to watch TV,
> <b>great</b>....but we do sometimes....even if it is just for the
news.&nbsp;
> We also play games and listen to CDs very low.&nbsp; We have even been
> known to take a walk now and then:)&nbsp;&nbsp; We are having fun and
observing
> the rules, to be honest, were usually in bed by 10 PM.....you may see
Mike
> and I having margaritas or Coronas with our dinner at our campsite,
but
> I assure you, we are just savoring a moment out of our life enjoying
our&nbsp;
> "summer place":)&nbsp; We try to get as much as we can out of one
weekend!&nbsp;
> For us personally, this is camping....and we LOVE it!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;
From
> what I can see when we are camping, were not alone!!:)
Missouri.....all
> of you have a GREAT weekend camping:).....I am going to see the arch
in
> St. Louis and enjoy some well deserved time with just my husband (no
kids
> at ALL!!....WOOHOO!!!:)...having a hard time containing myself
here....I
> really can't wait!!!!

Sharon:

Thanks for your post ... couldn't have said it better myself! We
haven't been there yet but the Verona KOA sounds just great for us,
despite the fact it's a 450 mile drive!

We've been looking around for just such a facility here in Ontario, but
so far to no avail. We just spent a LOUSY weekend at a so called
premium campground, recommended by friends, which was advertised as a
resort style facility, offering two indoor pools. Well, it turned out
to be largely a seasonal resort facility, with a few transient sites
stuck in lousy locations which were located "miles" from the bathhouses
and often turned to muck whenever it rained. We knew before we went
the forecast called for rain and the main reason we chose this facility
was so we could use the indoor pools ... our guys would spend an entire
day in the pool ... but not here since the pools hours were open only
sporatically throughout the day!

We bought our trailer not so much for local weekend campouts (we'd
rather take a day trip to the beach) but so we could long distance
travel at a reasonable cost, and do it with convenience. We can't
afford a TT, nor a another vehicle to tow it, so a folding trailer
became the obvious choice. I specifically chose the Santa Fe because I
felt that, with proper modifications which suited our personal
preferences, it would make a pretty good "home base" when we're a long
way from home. We now have most of the conveniences of home, including
A/C, and are quite pleased with our choice ... not perfect, but a
pretty good solution. HOWEVER, I'm amazed at how polarized many people
are in their opinions of what "camping" is and bristle when others
can't accept, as you have discovered, that each of us have our own view
of what the experience means to us.

Good for you Sharon ... enjoy your trip to St Louis, luxuriating in a
hotel (oh horrors), and perhaps we'll see you one day in Verona ...
it's on our list!

Bill in Ontario
2000 Santa Fe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

nomadd

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
I am planning to visit Panama City Beach, FL soon. Does anyone
have an opinion about the KOA there?

Ed Ferguson

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
>I am planning to visit Panama City Beach, FL soon. Does anyone
>have an opinion about the KOA there?

I almost stayed at the PC KOA last spring, but ended up at
another private campground called Racoon River. I didn't get to
see the KOA except for passing by it, but I'd recommend that if
you can, you might try to stay at St. Andrews state park. It's
not quite on the main drag, but it's close. But, it's a nice
park, clean, easy access to the beach, and the sites are nice.
I'll definitely be staying there if I go again.

Ed

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ed Ferguson E-Mail: edf...@mindspring.com
1999 Coleman Santa Fe, 1991 GMC C-1500 Pickup
Home Page: http://www.mindspring.com/~edferg

rlh6805

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
I went to Marylands state dnr web site. It looks like there
are lots of nice state campgrounds. But I realize you can only
tell so much from a web site. And I see what you mean about the
cost. Here in MI the most a state cg will cost for a nights stay
is $15.00. And thats includes electricity. If the best place to
camp in Maryland is a KOA, then I thank God I live here in
Michigan, which IMHO has some of the best state parks/cg's in
the country.

Rob H
Rob & Cindy in Michigan
1999 Chevy Suburban
2000 Palomino Mustang

mike and patty

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Look into St. Andrews State Park. We loved it there. One loop
is better than the other. Beautiful beaches there.
They have a website.

We camped there in March.

patty and mike
00utah

Susan

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
I'm on the no KOA side of the fence, also. We just wish there
were more places to camp close to home that were scenic,
secluded, and quiet. The only campground to date we've been to
that we have really enjoyed the large, somewhat secluded sites
is Zilpo. It's about a three hour drive, and reservations must
be made months in advance for the good spots. I'm a somewhat
shy, private person and I absolutley can't stand campgrounds
that are like parking lots.

Rob's a <dare I say it here> lawyer and works very long hours.
It's really difficult for him to plan a week or longer vacation,
and after he takes one, it's undone in a matter of days due to
all the stress of catching up. We purchased the camper so we
could take off on lots of long weekends instead. The idea being
we could be more spontaneous and only needing to pack some food
and clothes.

What we have found, however, is that the local parks are packed
to the point if we don't show up on a Wednesday or Thursday and
grab a spot ...forget it. Camping sure has changed from the way
it was when I was a kid.

Excuse my whining. But the last time we camped the zoolike
atmosphere really got to me. Those of you who live out West, I
hope you realize how lucky you are!

Susan
00 Utah
98 Cherokee
Ft. Thomas, KY

Brenda

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
After reading these messages, I feel very lucky we have so many
beautiful provincial parks here in Ontario. For the most part,
lots of privacy, wooded sites, beautiful clean lakes, hiking
trails, lots of wildlife etc. (especially northern Ontario).
I've stayed at KOA's only twice and while they weren't bad
experiences, I prefer provincial parks/state parks/national
forests. The first KOA was only half full the night we stayed so
we were lucky - no one on either side of us. The second one,
forget it, we were packed in like sardines. They were only
overnight stays so it didn't matter much but give me the
state/provincial parks any day. To each his own, though.

Brenda
Toronto, Canada
1999 Coleman Sea Pine

the Peach Princess

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Well, we have two definitions we use in our family to describe the opinions
offered in this thread. There is "camping" and there is (affectionately
called) "cramping".

"Camping" is when we pack up the pop-up and head to secluded state park
sites or to private property to soak up nature. Frankly, we don't do a lot
of this.

"Cramping" better describes how we use our pop-up. We first started tent
"cramping" before we were married (over 20 years ago). Our friends had
private lake property and we went every possible weekend for water ski
marathons. The boat started up at 9:00am and didn't stop until dark!
"Cramping" was simply our means of being by the boat.

About 10 years ago we got our first pop-up. We still did the lake thing
(finally got electricity on that property so we had AC but still had to
bring in our own potable water). We began using our pop-up on vacation. It
is our home base when taking in the sites. We come in EXHAUSTED after a
full day of "touristing". We take in an hour of TV before going to bed and
getting recharged to do it all again the next day. True "cramping."

"Cramping" is what we do best. We were in Sarasota over the Memorial Day
weekend. We left the campground every morning about 10:00 (after coffee,
breakfast and some time spent in the Word outside....the best part of
camping or cramping!) and returned at about 10:00pm every night. Our
campground neighbors just couldn't understand where we were all day. Well,
we were at the beach swimming, fishing and searching for sharks teeth. We
ate local seafood and even did a tour of the local shopping district.

If we wanted to "camp" I think we'd avoid KOA's. When we are interested in
"cramping" then I think KOA's or similar private campgrounds fit the bill.
There is nothing righteous about either "camping" or "cramping". There is
nothing righteous in paying $15 per night or $25 per night. There is
nothing righteous in having to look for entertainment in nature or having
entertainment provided in the form of a swimming pool or rec center. It's
all a matter of preference.

Have fun, enjoy your family, "camp" or "cramp", do what you can to spend
time together because the little ones just grow up too soon!

the Peach Princess
1997 Coleman Sea Pine
2000 Astro Van
Bishop, GA

cajuncamper

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
I did some "cramping" a few trips, but it was usually the result of
intolerance to dairy products <grin>

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"8-) Hal - Cajun Camper
00' Towlite 17'
98 GMC Sierra ext cab
5.7L v-8 w/3:42 locking rear
Flowmaster dual exhaust -Towing package
see my pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=956595&a=7000568

"the Peach Princess" <noadd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Skip P

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Let's put this in perspective. Camping means many things to many people. The
common thread here is the pop-up itself. Some like commercial, some like
"dry" camping. I've stayed in CG's that I hated (for my own reasons) and
said never, ever will I do this again and yet the CG was slam full. Who am I
to fault another campers decision as to where to stay or, for that matter,
how to camp? Make you own fun. Jeez, I'll slink off the soap box
now.....sorry.

Skip

CRAIG9952

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>!&nbsp

Dumb question.... what does nbsp mean?? thanks, Craig

Ed Ferguson

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>!&nbsp
>
>Dumb question.... what does nbsp mean?? thanks, Craig

Not a dumb question, just not obvious. The &nbsp is a place
holder used in HTML (the web page creation language) tables. A
table is divding a section of the page into blocks. The &nbsp is
used to hold a place if there are more table squares than
needed. For example, if you created a table that is 2 rows by 2
columns, that gives you room for 4 things in the blocks. But, if
you only had 3, then you could put that code in there to hold
the space of the unused block to make the table look right.
Sorry for the long answer...but you asked!(grin)

I did not see that in her message (normally all HTML codes are
invisible to the user), so I suspect your newsgroup reader
didn't recode it properly.

Hope this makes sense!

Ed

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ed Ferguson E-Mail: edf...@mindspring.com
1999 Coleman Santa Fe, 1991 GMC C-1500 Pickup
Home Page: http://www.mindspring.com/~edferg

WB

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
In article <F1ni5.8682$Z6.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
CRAMPING! I LOVE IT! Now that's much more imaginative than "travel
camping" which is what we've been calling it!

Doc

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

RE: Re: No KOAs for me.
BY: Ed Ferguson <edf...@mindspring.com>

>>!&nbsp
>>
>>Dumb question.... what does nbsp mean?? thanks, Craig
>Not a dumb question, just not obvious. The &nbsp is a place
>holder used in HTML (the web page creation language) tables. A
>table is divding a section of the page into blocks. The &nbsp is
>used to hold a place if there are more table squares than
>needed. For example, if you created a table that is 2 rows by 2
>columns, that gives you room for 4 things in the blocks. But, if
>you only had 3, then you could put that code in there to hold
>the space of the unused block to make the table look right.
>Sorry for the long answer...but you asked!(grin)
>I did not see that in her message (normally all HTML codes are
>invisible to the user), so I suspect your newsgroup reader
>didn't recode it properly.
>Hope this makes sense!
>Ed

-
Actually it just means his newsreader is text based.
Both of my newsreaders are text and both show those annoying
html codes. One reason why html is not considered appropriate
in newsgroups. I just ignore the code, or if the post is
full of codes I ignore the whole post (can't read it anyway).
-
-
- Doc -
-
David R Leifheit
-
- ICQ 8349851
- AIM WWIVDoc

Origin: The Wild Wild West * 503-623-0185

eflorack

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
"cajuncamper" <cajun...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>When I first camped in my trailer, I naturally looked for KOAs.
My
>experience was not quite as bad as yours, but enough like it
that had it not
>been for discovering state parks, I most likely would be well
into a new
>hobby by this time.

Well, as I say, I dunno as it was anyone's FAULT, per se'... but
I guess it does demonstrate how the small stuff ads up quickly.

>What did you mean by a few "hi-low types"?

A High-low is a folding hardsider. Basicly, picture a regular
travel trailer. Notice that around half-way up the wall, the wall
has a line around it. Below the line the wall is just slightly
smaller than the upper half. This allows the trailer to fold onto
itself for traveling. This is supposed to give you the advantages
of a full travel trailer, without the high travel profile they
present. A lot cheaper to haul, supposedly.

I've been kinda looking at them, myself, for a few years down the
road as an option.

*Rules: *
*1: Democrats Lie. *
*2: See rule 1 *

sdste...@my-deja.com

Sep 1, 2000, 3:23:57 PM9/1/00
I enjoy both kinds of camping. When I go to a location for the babling
brook, crackling logs, nature trails, etc. the state campgrounds are
hard to beat. When I'm traveling to visit other kinds of places and I
need a safe, entertaining, family oriented and inexpensive place to
stay, KOA is perfect. With my family of nine, it's too darned
expensive to stay in decent hotels these days.

-Scott

In article <#1Ym7GR$$GA.401@cpmsnbbsa08>,

"Wizard4440" <Wizar...@email.msn.com> wrote:
> I second that! NO KOA for me either. Again, one must qualify why they
like
> or dislike a particular "type" of camping. I camp to get away from the
> pools, arcades, lights, whistles, buzzers...etc. The last thing I
want to
> hear from my child is "I'm going to the arcade" at a CAMPGROUND! Not
in my
> family. But if this is what you like then by all means go there and
enjoy.
> Give me the serenity of the babbling brook, and the crackle of the
logs in
> the campfire. The sights of woods and streams...of hills ands dales.
These
> are a few of my favorite things. Hey, that's in a song!
>
> --
> ~Jim~
> "Never underestimate the power
> of stupid people in large groups"
>

> rlh6805 <rlh...@excite.com> wrote in message
> > KOA's, boy this is a touchy subject for me. In a nut shell: I
> > HATE THEM!. Sorry for shouting. When I go camping I too like to
> > be in a somewhat secluded area. I don't like camping in an
> > amusement park, as I fondly refer to KOA's as. Now, I have only
> > been to one, near Port Huron MI. This place had a swimming pool,
> > arcade, mini-golf ect... This is fine if you are at a
> > hotel/resort or something, but when I go camping I don't want
> > any of that. One of the other posters mentioned something about
> > keeping kids busy. Well, if your kids need to be kept busy when
> > there are woods/bike paths/swimming beaches/nature trails ect..
> > like in a state campground, well they have a screw loose. You
> > can keep your KOA, give me a state campground any day.

> > Rob H
> > Rob & Cindy in Michigan
> > 1999 Chevy Suburban
> > 2000 Palomino Mustang

> > Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> > Up to 100 minutes free!
> > http://www.keen.com

elinortexr

Sep 2, 2000, 8:18:49 PM9/2/00
> With my family of nine, it's too darned
>expensive to stay in decent hotels these days.
>
>-Scott

Yikes! Nine you say?

Elinor
99 Bayside
98 Expedition

KEN

Sep 2, 2000, 9:13:17 PM9/2/00
Elinor: 9? Now there is really a guy with to much time on his hands.
:-) Ken

--
Visit My Camping Web Site
http://home.rochester.rr.com./sar/camping.htm