Why Putin bombs // These are my people

⁹⁹⁹√ulcаn

Mar 13, 2022, 1:14:19 PM3/13/22
Why Putin bombs the very same Russian-speaking people he claims to liberate

https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-putin-bombs-the-very-same-russian-speaking-people-he-claims-to-liberate/

Davidzon, 37, refers to himself as a dandy — both his style and his
attitude reflect the label — but he is also a tireless writer, artist,
and investigative journalist whose work has appeared in the Wall Street
Journal, New York Observer, and Foreign Policy. In 2015, with his
Odessa-born wife, he founded and edited the Odessa Review, which over
the next three years served as a cultural bridge between Ukraine and the
rest of the world. Since 2012, he has been Tablet Magazine’s European
culture correspondent.

Born in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, raised in Moscow and New York, and
currently shuttling between Paris and Kyiv, Davidzon brings a unique
perspective to the conflict in Ukraine.

This is my city. These are my people — Russian speakers, Ukrainian Jews,
post-Soviets — they’re all my people. And Putin is bombing them under
the pretext of denazification. He should just be honest and say that
he’s cleansing all those who will not subjugate themselves to him. It’s
a cleansing of difference, of people who are capable of standing up to
his totalitarian dictates.

Basically, this is a government of Russian-speakers. The previous
government was made up of Ukrainian titular nationalists — they believed
in preserving the Ukrainian language and culture, and that all
minorities in Ukraine should be well-versed in that culture. But this
actually made a lot of space for minorities, since only about 55 to 60
percent of the population in the country speaks the language of the
state at home.

Putin claims he’s come to save the Russian world and the Russians from
Nazism — but he’s mostly bombing Russian-speaking cities. Kherson,
Mariupol, Odessa, Kharkiv, these are all cities where the majority of
the population speaks Russian.

The fact that a big portion of the current Ukrainian leadership is of
Jewish descent is no accident — they are fighting for a new,
contemporary Ukraine. We want to live like normal people, not like
animals: not to be poor, not to be under someone’s thumb, or someone’s
boot. We don’t want to be dominated.

Putin doesn’t believe that Ukrainians exist. And he can’t let the new
Ukraine state stay alive — he can’t let it slip away from him. So he has
to derail the project. He has tried everything. The fact that he had to
go to war is already proof that he wasn’t successful, that he couldn’t
achieve his goal in any other way.

Another Russia is possible, but for that to happen, Russians have to
repudiate today’s Russia — a complex and probably bloody process. They
have to repudiate Putinism, the gulag, their nostalgia for the Soviet
Union and for the Russian Empire. And if they don’t, then they can’t
have a free and democratic Ukraine on their border, since it’s a bad
example for Putin’s Russia. Ultimately, this is as much about them as it
is about Ukraine.

т.е. вот не только ешаки из Ташкента выходят

⁹⁹⁹√ulcаn

Mar 13, 2022, 1:22:47 PM3/13/22
On 3/13/2022 1:14 PM, ⁹⁹⁹√ulcаn wrote:
> Why Putin bombs the very same Russian-speaking people he claims to liberate
[]
> Another Russia is possible, but for that to happen, Russians have to
> repudiate today’s Russia — a complex and probably bloody process. They
> have to repudiate Putinism, the gulag, their nostalgia for the Soviet
> Union and for the Russian Empire. And if they don’t, then they can’t
> have a free and democratic Ukraine on their border, since it’s a bad
> example for Putin’s Russia. Ultimately, this is as much about them as it
> is about Ukraine.
>
> т.е. вот не только ешаки из Ташкента выходят

In many ways, the West really is decadent and rotted through with an
officious corruption. It’s packaged differently, but there’s division
and a lack of values that’s created a crisis in the West. The economic
insecurity of the last years, increasing secularism, the end of the
social compact, the wars. This all leads to a crisis of values — which
also leads to cultural wars — much of which is very tedious and boring
and unpleasant and divisive.

The reason that the entire world is holding its breath watching this is
because Ukraine is so remarkable. There’s cohesion, there’s valor,
there’s piety, there’s resilience, there are simple values, like the
nation standing together. There’s no crisis of values here. Ukrainians
are, in many ways, healthier as a people than Western Europeans and
Americans.
Zelensky is a president who’s a kind of Pinocchio. He came to power not
unlike Trump — an entertainer who used his populist charisma to be
elected — but instead of being divisive, he uses his talents to unite
people and becomes an incredibly inclusive leader. So he steps out of
the television and begins to lead the country. Then the war starts and
he knows he’s going to die. They’ve already sent three hit squads to
kill him. And he’s on television making these pitch-perfect speeches. He
knows he’s going to die so he decides to become the real thing.

⁹⁹⁹√ulcаn

Mar 13, 2022, 1:25:22 PM3/13/22
On 3/13/2022 1:14 PM, ⁹⁹⁹√ulcаn wrote:
> Why Putin bombs the very same Russian-speaking people he claims to liberate
>
> https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-putin-bombs-the-very-same-russian-speaking-people-he-claims-to-liberate/
>

> Davidzon, 37, refers to himself as a dandy — both his style and his
> attitude reflect the label — but he is also a tireless writer, artist,
> and investigative journalist whose work has appeared in the Wall Street
> Journal, New York Observer, and Foreign Policy. In 2015, with his
> Odessa-born wife, he founded and edited the Odessa Review, which over
> the next three years served as a cultural bridge between Ukraine and the
> rest of the world. Since 2012, he has been Tablet Magazine’s European
> culture correspondent.

...вообще, я все эти дни вспоминаю "Абсурдистан" Штайнгарта

а этот Vladislav Davidzon как будто сошёл с её страниц

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdistan_(novel)

Absurdistan is a 2006 novel by Gary Shteyngart. It chronicles the
adventures of Misha Vainberg, the 325-pound son of the 1,238th-richest
man in Russia, as he struggles to return to his true love in the South
Bronx.

Misha is known as "Snack Daddy" from his days at Accidental College, a
school in the Midwestern U.S. (The college resembles Oberlin College,
which Shteyngart attended, while its name "Accidental" is a play on the
name of Occidental College.) Misha is desperate to return to his true
love, Rouenna, whom he met while she was working at a "titty bar". She
now attends Hunter College, at Misha's expense.

Misha's father is killed by a fellow oligarch. Soon afterwards, Misha
has the opportunity to buy a Belgian passport from a corrupt diplomat in
the fictitious ex-Soviet republic of Absurdsvanϊ (also known as
Absurdistan).

Absurdistan's reputation for oil riches has earned it the nickname
"Norway of the Caspian." The country is divided between two major ethnic
groups: the Sevo and Svanϊ. They hate each other due to their dispute
over the proper direction in which the "footrest" of the Orthodox cross
is to be tilted. Civil war erupts in Absurdistan, and for the sake of a
new love he has found, Misha is forced to take sides in the conflict.

рекомендую!