Emotional Rescue fanatic!!!

Van.Vincent

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

My favorite Stones album of the 1980s is Emotional Rescue! It has got
some fantastic tunes. My favorites are:
Summer Romance
Let Me Go
Indian Girl
Down in the Hole
ER
She's So Cold
All About You (Keith at his best!)

The collector's edition CD on virgin records includes a neat little
poster. It is a Stones album worth owning. I can't understand how
anyone can dislike this album .

Someone had posted that the track "Indian Girl" is the worst song
on the album. Well it is probably the BEST one-- listen to the horns
on the song, which by the way were arranged by Jaak Nitzzche,and you
will be convinced.

Van.

...life just goes on and on getting harder and harder...

Joe Chavez

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

On 20 May 1996, Van.Vincent wrote:

> My favorite Stones album of the 1980s is Emotional Rescue! It has got
> some fantastic tunes. My favorites are:
> Summer Romance
> Let Me Go
> Indian Girl
> Down in the Hole
> ER
> She's So Cold
> All About You (Keith at his best!)

Add in "Where The Boys Go"

OK, I'll admit that I actually play the ER CD regularly. I know that
there's not anything especially deep, but it's an album that I *LOVE*
to play while driving. Damn, for me, it is just plain *FUN*.

Joe, who thinks that the only bad stones album is _Dirty Work_

john...@worldaccess.nl

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Joe Chavez wrote:

> OK, I'll admit that I actually play the ER CD regularly. I know that
> there's not anything especially deep, but it's an album that I *LOVE*
> to play while driving. Damn, for me, it is just plain *FUN*.
>
> Joe, who thinks that the only bad stones album is _Dirty Work_

Thanx for defending ER.
But DW is not a bad album at all! Tell you why:
There's a very good cover of a Motown hit: HARLEM SHUFFLE.
ONE HIT just rocks, mean and hard, just like WINNING UGLY and DIRTY WORK.
TOO RUDE is a fine piece of Stones-reggae, and SLEEP TONIGHT is one more
example of a beautiful tender KR-ballad (like ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH on Steel
Wheels).
That's six good or very good songs out of ten.
I admit I don't care about the other four, still it's a good score.

One more reason I like Dirty Work: the album cover photograph.
After all the chic fashionable covers with faces concealed, tattooed, or
photographed in Infrared here they are again, very clearly for all to see: The
the Rolling Stones gathered round a modern curved sofa, dressed in highly
contrasting colors: yellow, pink, red, blue and green. Look at their faces,
this picture tells a lot. It's KR who's in charge here, I think, and Mick
doesn't like it. Bill has a bad time and Charlie doesn't even want to look
up. Okay, this is all just interpretation. But after reading a bit about
this period - they were on the verge of a break-up - the picture seems to
tell a big story. Apart from that it's just beautiful and straightforward.
(It was made by Annie Leibovitz, what do you want?)
I don't care too much about the 'funny' artwork on the inner sleeve.
But the outer sleeve is great.
Any other favorites among Stones album sleeves?

greetings,
----
johnydes

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x
x <:-()-¬ alto saxophone <:-()-¬ x
x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Koen van der Drift

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <N.052396....@asd1-15.worldaccess.nl>,
john...@worldaccess.nl wrote:

> and SLEEP TONIGHT is one more
>example of a beautiful tender KR-ballad (like ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH on Steel
>Wheels).

It sounds more like 'Slipping Away'

- Koen.

Robert Maaskant

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

john...@worldaccess.nl wrote:

> Thanx for defending ER.
> But DW is not a bad album at all! Tell you why:
> There's a very good cover of a Motown hit: HARLEM SHUFFLE.
> ONE HIT just rocks, mean and hard, just like WINNING UGLY and DIRTY WORK.

> TOO RUDE is a fine piece of Stones-reggae, and SLEEP TONIGHT is one more

> example of a beautiful tender KR-ballad (like ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH on Steel
> Wheels).

> That's six good or very good songs out of ten.
> I admit I don't care about the other four, still it's a good score.

I almost got tears in my eyes. Finally, after all these years of reading
negative comments on this Stones-album by almost everybody (by hardcore
Stones-fans) someone who I agree with. I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like every single song on this album! Maybe, you read an earlier posting of
me, in which I defended Dirty Work. I don't know why everybody is so negative
on this album. Maybe it is because this album was not promoted by The Stones
at all. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad album. It could have been
even better when bootlegged songs like "Strictly Memphis" and "Baby, you're
too much" had been on it.

> One more reason I like Dirty Work: the album cover photograph.

That's were I don't agree. It was a good idea to have a photograph of The
Stones on the cover again for the first time since Their Satanic... I guess,
but the picture could have been better (like Anton Corbijn's
"Stripped"-photos).

Greetings,

Robert Maaskant (who likes to join the Dirty Work defence rescue squad!)

Matt Cherry

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Just out of curiosity, if any of you were in charge would you have had
the Stones tour under Dirty Work back in '86? Personally I agree withthe
decision not to. They WERE on the verge of a break up and a world tour
where they would have been together constantly? I don't think so!

-
MATT CHERRY DJN...@prodigy.com

Michael Honig

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

>the Rolling Stones gathered round a modern curved sofa, dressed in highly
>contrasting colors: yellow, pink, red, blue and green. Look at their faces,
>this picture tells a lot. It's KR who's in charge here, I think, and Mick
>doesn't like it.

:-) It looks as if Mick was pushed away from the sofa by Keith. Definitely
a picture that represents the mood in the band in those days.

Michael
(who likes DW a lot)

********* Michael Honig (ho...@mwald5.chemie.uni-mainz.de) *********
What are 'grits' anyway? Grits are - 50.
Yes, but what are they? They are - extra.
Yes, I'll have grits please ...

NBowne

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

So there actually is someone who not only defends "Emotional Rescue" ---
but actually LIKES it! (He likes it! Hey Mikey!)

Guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

The only track on ER that is at all worthwhile is "Down in the Hole" ---
mainly because of Sugar Blue's harmonica.

"She's So Cold" sounds like it was written by a twelve year old. ("I'm
the bleedin' volcaaano!")

"All About You" : Keith at his most boring and annoying. Even worst than
"The Worst."

Now, Dirty Work on the other hand, while not exactly a great record, has a
few tracks that are first-rate, especially One Hit to the Body and Harlem
Shuffle. The remaining songs are fairly innocuous. Still, it's stronger
than "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," which is the worst Stones album after
Emotional Rescue.

So much for *my* opinion.

NBowne

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In article <4o61c0$m...@useneta1.news.prodigy.com>, DJN...@prodigy.com
(Matt Cherry) writes:

> would you have had
>the Stones tour under Dirty Work back in '86?

It's possible for members of a band to hate each other's guts and still
put on a good performance. However, the odds are against it.

Keith: "Dirty Work was built to go on the road." He was quite put out
with "Brenda" for not touring in support of the album.

A lot of those songs would sound much better in a good live performance.
Most of the songs on "Some Girls" -- an album that suffers from abysmal
production values -- sound immeasurably better in concert. If you can
find some of the many bootlegs with concerts from the 1978 tour, you will
be amazed at how much more interesting songs like "Shattered" and "When
the Whip Comes Down" are.

Zo

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

>>the Rolling Stones gathered round a modern curved sofa, dressed in highly
>>contrasting colors: yellow, pink, red, blue and green. Look at their faces,
>>this picture tells a lot. It's KR who's in charge here, I think, and Mick
>>doesn't like it.

>:-) It looks as if Mick was pushed away from the sofa by Keith. Definitely
>a picture that represents the mood in the band in those days.

Also, the music is great, espcially the guitar work, but Mick sounds as if
he's going thru the motions. His singing and lyrics are weak.

Geir Arne Sunde

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Remember the release year, 1986, a lousy year for music. What was on the
charts that year ( Aha, and other crap) Then Dirty Work came along a non
compromising rock & roll album! The only thing I don`t like about it is
the mix, the sound is somewhat "flat". But what songs! One Hit, Harlem
Shuffle etc. Despite the Glimmer-war, Stu`s tragic death, ( or maybe
because) it`s a great album

Zo

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Yeah! 1986 was a pathetic year for music. I was a senior in HS at the
time and Dirty Work came out a month before graduation. I absolutely
loved the album at the time. It was being played at all the end of year
parties and such. In my opinion it didn't age well. It was great at the
time because everything else sucked so bad. The Stones came through again.

--Zo

METSAT

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

"let me go" and "indian girl" make ER worth price

In article <4oahtr$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, nbo...@aol.com says...

Zo

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4okvqu$k...@post.gsfc.nasa.gov>, MET...@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov
says...

>"let me go" and "indian girl" make ER worth price

>"She's So Cold" sounds like it was written by a twelve year old. ("I'm
>the bleedin' volcaaano!")

I was twelve when EM came out. That must explain why I like SSC.

>Still, it's stronger than "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," which is the worst
>Stones album after Emotional Rescue.

Wow! I really like IORnR. While it does have some filler (short & curlies
comes to mind) it's an enjoyable album. I really like Fingerprint File.
It's got that early'70's funk sound while sounding like no other Stones
track. And for all those people who think Charlie doesn't cut loose, check
out his druming on this track. I also really like Time Waits For No One.
Especially Charlie's intro and outro.

--Zo

GaryMRosen

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Zo wrote:

>Yeah! 1986 was a pathetic year for music. I was a senior in HS at the
>time and Dirty Work came out a month before graduation. I absolutely
>loved the album at the time. It was being played at all the end of year
>parties and such. In my opinion it didn't age well. It was great at the
>time because everything else sucked so bad. The Stones came through
again.

Bottom line: DW isn't that great compared to the Stones' best, but
it's still pretty damn good. One nit-picky comment: "Harlem Shuffle"
is *not* Motown. Motown refers to a specific group of artists on a
family of labels including the Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye,
Four Tops & Stevie Wonder among others. Not every song by
a black artist in the '60s was "Motown". Some people now even
refer to Aretha Franklin as "Motown". Sheesh!

- Gary Rosen

Mikko Ilmari Nummelin

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

nbo...@aol.com (NBowne) writes:

>The only track on ER that is at all worthwhile is "Down in the Hole" ---
>mainly because of Sugar Blue's harmonica.

Sorry, but "Down In The Hole" appears to be my least favorite track
from Emotional Rescue, and definitely one of the worst official stones-
tracks ever released! Much better are "Emotional Rescue" and "Let
Me Go", although the whole album is less convincing when compared
to their masterpieces (for example Metamorphosis, Aftermath and Between
The Buttons).

Mikko

Scott Reed

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

<4orl6h$o...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>...

> Zo wrote:
>
> >Yeah! 1986 was a pathetic year for music. I was a senior in HS at the
> >time and Dirty Work came out a month before graduation. I absolutely
> >loved the album at the time. It was being played at all the end of
year
> >parties and such. In my opinion it didn't age well. It was great at
the
> >time because everything else sucked so bad. The Stones came through
> again.

I agree. The '80's sucked, but the Stones rode the waves and still
managed to deliver a handful of classic songs. Dirty Work is often taken
out of the context of the period (it is most certainly a period piece
album. Even the album art is quentessential '80's tackiness, right down
to Keith's big hair and Mick's lemon yellow pants.)

> Bottom line: DW isn't that great compared to the Stones' best, but
> it's still pretty damn good.

Yup. It's an angry sounding album, which I'm not sure is coincidental to
the Stones disposition at the time or not. Mick doesn't sing, he growls,
and Keith's guitar is low and gutteral through most of it. Actually the
whole album is fairly low tempo, IMHO.

One nit-picky comment: "Harlem Shuffle"
> is *not* Motown. Motown refers to a specific group of artists on a
> family of labels including the Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye,
> Four Tops & Stevie Wonder among others. Not every song by
> a black artist in the '60s was "Motown". Some people now even
> refer to Aretha Franklin as "Motown". Sheesh!

Have you heard the original recording?

Scott