Richard/Richards

radp...@canctr.mc.duke.edu

Feb 14, 1995, 12:35:20 AM2/14/95
Undercover - The Rolling Stones Mailing List
OK, I'll take a stab at it. He was born as Keith Richards. When
Andrew Oldham started managing, the 's' was dropped for (pick 1 or more)
this reason: 1) Artistic pretensions 2) To separate himself from his father's
name, since he wasn't talking to his dad anymore 3) To sound like Cliff
Richard, a popular artist at the time. 1 & 2 are actual reasons I've
heard, #3 is just a rumor that I'm starting right now.
He was Keith Richard right up until the late 70's. The 's' came back
because: 1) As a result of his big arrest in Canada, the press was
referring to him as his birth surname of Richards. Keith took it as
an opportunity to abandon his prior junkie past, and took it back.
2) He made up with his dad, and didn't mind being a Richards again.
Just call him Keith!

--Rob Clough
"Love wears a white Stetson."--keith
Posting: mail under...@tempest.cis.uoguelph.ca