Dream Theater FAQ

Robert B. Bubala

Dec 28, 1993, 2:26:04 AM12/28/93
Could someone please send me the address of the Dream Theater List. I would
like to join it.

For all you Dream Theater fans out there, make sure you pick up the Images and
Words video. IT IS AWESOME.

Rob Bubala rb74...@pucal.bitnet

Michael Bahr

Dec 28, 1993, 9:49:47 PM12/28/93

Well, it's been three weeks so...

8< 8< 8< 8< 8< cut here
___ _ _ ___ _ ___ _ _
| \| >|_ /\ |\/| | |_||_ /\ | |_ | >
_|_/| \|_/ \| | | | ||_/ \ | |_ | \

We're not perfect. But we're trying to be as accurate as we can. If you can
help us to that end with this FAQ/discography, we appreciate it.

The Ytsejam mailing list can be joined by doing the following:
Send email to ytsejam...@bnf.com
No subject!
Text should read, exactly:

subscribe ytsejam firstname lastname

(replace the names with your own.)
You will be added automatically! To unsubscribe, please do the following:

Send email to ytsejam...@bnf.com
No Subject!
Text should read, exactly:

unsubscribe ytsejam

It will take you off the list that very day. If you have any problems
please email jho...@qualcomm.com (ytseja...@bnf.com).

I've shortened the credits section because of all the people who have been
a part of it, but I wish to slight nobody; you ALL have helped a hell of a
lot and a lot of kudos go to the people listed below.

Many thanks to the following for their additions and corrections:
> * Randall Haskin (str...@stien1.u.washington.edu)
> * Brent Nuttall (el...@indirect.com)
> * Dave (dl...@quts.ccc.amdahl.com)
> * Michael Burstin (Mi...@cs.brandeis.edu)
> * Todd Henson (the...@mason1.gmu.edu)
> * Bill Buckley (buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com)
> * Jennifer Albert (cc p.te...@genie.geis.com)
> * Lars "ORION" Karlsson ()
> * Tim (spa...@hardy.u.washington.edu)
> * Aaron (asi...@umiami.edu)
> * Jeremy A. Smith (js0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu)

Abbreviations you should know:
PMU - Pull Me Under
TTT - Take The Time
LTL - Learning To Live

CONTENTS
--------
0. New Questions/Frequently Changing Recent Information
1. Questions about the members of DT/DT History
2. Questions about DT performances/appearances/miscellany
3. Questions about the songs themselves
4. Brief discography
5. Extended discography

New Stuff
---------
0.1 What do we know about Dream Theater's new (third studio) album?

We know a few things. Here's what we've been able to glean from
the band members:

* It's not yet titled. (soon as you hear info on this mail us FAST!)
* It started recording in early December 1993.
* (To Live) Forever and A Change of Seasons are slated for inclusion.
* Their producer will be Terry Brown. Source: Metal Shop syndicated radio show
* It's still on the Atlantic label, with a five-month budget.
* No other pre-LaBrie songs will be re-done or re-recorded.
* Bombay Vindaloo is not slated for inclusion.
* It will not be the concept album that Moore and Portnoy keep putting
off, that they really want to do "one of these days"
* LaBrie will be the first DT vocalist with a hand in the songwriting
process before production.

1. Questions about the members of DT
------------------------------------
1.1 Who are the current members of Dream Theater?

They are Kevin James LaBrie (vocals), John Petrucci (guitar), Michael
Portnoy (drums), Kevin Moore (keyboards), and John Myung (bass). Petrucci,
Moore, and Myung grew up together in New York. Portnoy joined them later
when they caught him playing at a club. LaBrie joined them in late 1990.

1.2 Has anyone been a member of Dream Theater that is not in it now?

Yes. Charlie Dominici was their vocalist from 1988 to 1989,
approximately. He did the vocals on "When Dream And Day Unite" and on part
of the bootleg "Consciously Unreal". Chris Collins was their vocalist
before 1988 on the Majesty demos.

1.3 What are the Majesty demos?

Before they were Dream Theater, they were Majesty. However, there
was already a band called Majesty, so they could not release the demos.
They wound up on bootlegs and evaluation tapes, and a list of known songs
is in the extended discography in this file.

1.4 Who inspired the band members the most?

In an interview, Mike Portnoy cited Neil Peart of Rush as his
greatest influence and favourite drummer. His other influences include
Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colorata, but Portnoy says Peart was his drum "God"
for years when Rush was all he listened to.

Petrucci has two groups of influences, he said in an interview.
The Steves and the Als. The Steves are Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Steve Vai,
and Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Als are Alex Lifeson, Al Dimeola, and Alan
Holdsworth.

John Myung's bass idols are Steve Harris and Geddy Lee. Kevin
Moore's ivory inspiration comes from Rick Wakeman, Jens Johansen, and
Michelle Camillo, among others.

As a band, they are influenced most (according to Portnoy) by
Rush, Queensryche, Yes, Marillion, Genesis, and Kansas. Those groups make
a few appearances here in this FAQ forasmuch as they relate to DT.

Petrucci individually likes Pantera.

1.5 Andrea Held Leone and Ralph R. Dominici Sr. are mentioned in the liner
notes to WDADU as the dedicants. What relation to the band are they?

Anyone?

1.6 Marillion is thanked in the liners in IAW, whats the relation?

Dream Theater opened for Marillion in New York (anyone have the
exact date?). Mike Portnoy also said to me, "We're all really big fans. I
really dig 'Misplaced Childhood'."

1.7 What is DT's address?

Their mail address is PO BOX 166, Long Beach, NY, 11561.

1.8 What musical instrument sponsorships does DT have?

Ibanez sponsors John Petrucci, and Tama Drums sponsors Mike
Portnoy. His current drum kit was designed by Neil Peart in 1984 (see the
Rush/Grace Under Pressure tourbook for more on this).

1.9 Is there a Dream Theater fan club?

Yes. Write to the address below:
Dream Theater Fan Club
Dept.A
11 Penn Plaza Suite 910
New York, NY 10001-2006

1.10 Why did Charlie Dominici leave DT?

According to Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci, he was released
because of several things, but most importantly because he didn't fit in
with the band in a few important ways. He was far older than the rest of
them, had a different idea of what DT should be, and lacked ability as a
frontman when performing live. There were apparently a few personality
conflicts at work. The band and Dominici are not currently in contact with
each other.

1.11 Why did Chris Collins leave Majesty/DT?

According to Petrucci, he just didn't have what it took.
Apparently they had to record his vocals on the demos one sentence at a
time and sometimes even less. Furthermore, he found he could not perform
live adequately.

1.12 What was James LaBrie doing before he joined the band?

Kevin James LaBrie (they drop the Kevin because they would
otherwise confuse him with Kevin Moore, and two Johns are already hard
enough to deal with, says Petrucci) sang for a Canadian band by the name
of Winter Rose. He was selected from among 20 auditions and over 200 tapes
by DT during the making of IAW.

1.13 What does the "symbol" DT uses mean?

The "symbol" can be seen on the IAW disc, on the IAW cover on top
of the bed, on the WDADU cover, etc. It is the letter "M" of "MAJESTY" in
a stylized font, says Portnoy. It was once used by Mary Queen of Scots.

1.14 What does the burning heart symbolize?

According to Portnoy, it was Moore's idea and essentially a copy
of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The barbed wire represented obstacles and
difficulties, the heart endurance and strength, and the fire their energy
and passion.

1.15 Who thought up the name for the band?

Mike Portnoy's father Howard thought they should name it after the
moviehouse near where they grew up. It was called The Dream Theater.
Initially, they recorded a demo by that name, then named the band after it.

1.16 Where did DT go to school?

The Johns and Kevin Moore went to the Berklee (sic) school of
music in Boston, MA, not Berkeley as has been erroneously mentioned on
rec.music.progressive. Berklee is a music-dedicated school that has
produced the likes of Steve Vai and Chris DeGarmo.

2. Questions about DT performances/appearances/miscellany

2.1 Who has toured with Dream Theater?

Psychotic Waltz, the Galactic Cowboys, Saigon Kick, Meanstreak
(with guitarist Rena Sands, Petrucci's wife) and others among a slew of
local acts the band likes to use for openers.

2.2 What producers has Dream Theater worked with?

Terry Date produced WDADU. Terry Brown (Broon), the producer who
took Rush through their first eleven albums, produced the promotional
discs from WDADU. David Prater produced IAW. Prater was the
ex-drummer/producer of Santana. Doug Oeberkircher produced and mixed Live At
The Marquee. According to Z-Rock Metal Shop, the syndicated weekly metal
radio magazine, Terry Brown is producing DT's new album while Prater has
been promoted.

2.3 What songs has Dream Theater made videos for?

Pull Me Under, Take The Time, and Another Day. Another Day did not
make MTV's playlist, even though DT felt it had the most MTV potential.
Pull Me Under was shot live and has received the most airplay. Take The
Time was shot as a video production, however the song had to be shortened
a lot and many unexpected jumps in the song throw the video off pace.

2.4 What songs has Dream Theater played live?

A better question would probably be which ones have they NOT
played live, since they play just about all of them. First of all,
anything from the Majesty demos from 1986 or 1987 has either not been
played live, or has been played live rarely enough never to be recorded on
any known release or bootleg. Beyond that, here are the songs that either
don't get played live, or have never been recorded live at any known show.

The Ones Who Help to Set The Sun
(formerly "Death of Spock" in the Majesty/DT demo era)
(this will be added to when they release another album no doubt)

Here are a few songs that have ONLY been performed live, and never
recorded in any studio (yet):

A Change of Seasons (except it was demo'ed)
Eve
Bombay Vindaloo (which is actually an improv based off ACOS)
Moon Bubbles
Pup
Freewill (a cover)

As well as numerous improvised "shorts" like 'barfbag' and 'trounce'.

2.5 Who plays the saxophone on "Another Day"?

Jay Beckenstein of Spiro Gyra, who owned the studio where IAW was put to
tape (Bear Trax).

2.6 Will DT ever release production versions of the old Majesty demos?

In some cases, they did just that (see the discog further on).
Portnoy was asked about this, and said that while they might be fun to
play live, it really wouldn't get the band anywhere to release new
recordings of them. Since DT is concerned with moving forward, he said, it
will likely not happen any more than it already has. Half the first album
was production from the demos, but the remaining demos are "just too old."

3. Questions about the songs themselves
---------------------------------------
3.1 What is the header for "A Fortune In Lies?"

As written by Petrucci, it is:

"For the first time in a long time... everything was right in my
world...and then I woke up.

3.2 What does "The Ytse' Jam" mean?

YTSEJAM is MAJESTY written backwards, and it probably refers to
their original band name in that ambiguous way instrumentals refer to things.

3.3 What is "The Killing Hand" about?

John does not comment on it often, but Mike Portnoy opened up in
an interview about why it was written and what he "thinks" it's about. In
the interview Portnoy is very careful to remind the reader that he Could
be all wrong, but that it's not likely. Petrucci wrote it as a sort of
"Twilight Zone" story about war, in which he witnesses all these
atrocities, and sees the names of the dead on a wall, and then realizes
it's been him this whole time causing all the atrocities... then he sees
his name on the wall, very Rod Serling-type of stuff.

3.4 Is "Afterlife" a Christian song? Is "Eve"?

While the band admits Afterlife has Christian overtones, it is not a
religious tune in the same spirit as the music of King's X or Parallax.
Eve, the piano/guitar intro sequence used live for both Pull Me Under and
Learning To Live at different times, includes a lot of voice samples
including "Guide us on to our Lord Jesus, guide us home." Kevin Moore and John
Myung are the more religious members of the band (compared to the secular
Portnoy) and Moore wrote it, so while it is certainly not a Stryper-style
preach jam, it can be classified as a Christian song. Mike indicated in an
interview that Kevin Moore was aiming at that, but that (like in the
Killing Hand case) he didn't write it himself so he couldn't guarantee the
meaning was exactly right.

3.5 What is "Pull Me Under" about?

The current explanation goes that it was inspired by Shakespeare's
"Hamlet". Prince Hamlet swore vengeance on King Claudius for murdering his
father, the former King, and then marrying his mother, still Queen.
Hamlet's famous Soliloquy was the passage in which the conflict in
Hamlet's mind is detailed, and the second verse of "Pull Me Under"
coincides pretty thoroughly with it. The very end of the song James can be
heard singing this line from Hamlet:
"Oh that this too, too solid flesh would melt."

Furthermore, after seeing the video, in an interview, Portnoy said
"Who the hell was that wolfman guy in the video anyway? We had written it
based on something else entirely." Portnoy noted that while Moore did not
write PMU about Hamlet specifically, he DID write PMU about what Hamlet
was ABOUT. Same themes, ideas, etc.

Here's the no-brainer explanation:
> Here's a post from YTSEJAM #42 that shows the Pull Me Under/Hamlet connection.
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 05:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: en...@uunet.uu.net (Pete "Ender" Walsh)
> Subject: Pull Me Under / Hamlet
>
> PULL ME UNDER
> Images: Dream Theater
> Words: Moore
>
> Lost in the sky
> Clouds roll by and I roll with them
>
> KING CLAUDIUS [to Hamlet] How is it that the clouds still hang on you?
>
> Arrows fly
> Seas increase and then fall again
>
> HAMLET To be, or not to be: that is the question:
> Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
> The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
> Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
> And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
> [and so on...]
>
> This world is spinning around me
> This world is spinning without me
> Every day sends future to past
> Every breath leaves one less to my last
>
> Watch the sparrow falling
> Gives new meaning to it all
> If not today nor yet tomorrow then some other day
>
> HAMLET Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
> providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
> 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
> now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
> readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
> leaves, what is't to leave betimes?
>
> I'll take seven lives for one
>
> There are seven deaths in Hamlet.
>
> And then my only father's son
> As sure as I did ever love him
> I am not afraid
>
> Ghost I am thy father's spirit,
> Doom'd for a certain term to walk the night,
> And for the day confined to fast in fires,
> Till the foul crimes done in my days of nature
> Are burnt and purged away. But that I am forbid
[etc...]
> But this eternal blazon must not be
> To ears of flesh and blood. List, list, O, list!
> If thou didst ever thy dear father love--
>
> HAMLET O God!
>
> Ghost Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder.
>
> HAMLET Murder!
>
> Ghost Murder most foul, as in the best it is;
> But this most foul, strange and unnatural.
>
> HAMLET Haste me to know't, that I, with wings as swift
> As meditation or the thoughts of love,
> May sweep to my revenge.
> - AND -
> HAMLET Ay, so, God be wi' ye;
> [Exeunt ROSENCRANTZ and GUILDENSTERN]
> Now I am alone.
> [...etc, etc...]
> O, vengeance!
> Why, what an ass am I! This is most brave,
> That I, the son of a dear father murder'd,
> [...etc, etc...]
>
> This world is spinning around me
> The whole world keeps spinning around me
> All life is future to past
> Every breath leaves me one less to my last
>
> Pull me under Pull me under
> Pull me under I'm not afraid
> All that I feel in honor and spite
> All I can do is set it right
>
> HAMLET Rest, rest, perturbed spirit!
>
> [They swear]
>
> So, gentlemen,
> With all my love I do commend me to you:
[etc.]
> The time is out of joint: O cursed spite,
> That ever I was born to set it right!
>
> - AND -
> HAMLET [...]
> When honour's at the stake. How stand I then,
> That have a father kill'd, a mother stain'd,
> Excitements of my reason and my blood,
[etc.]

> Dust fills my eyes
> Clouds roll by and I roll with them
> Centuries cry
> Orders fly and I fall again
>
> This world is spinning inside me
> The whole world is spinning inside of me
> Every day sends future to past
> Every step brings me closer to my last
>
> Pull me under Pull me under
> Pull me under I'm not afraid
> Living my life too much in in the sun
> Only until your will is done
>
> HAMLET Not so, my lord; I am too much i' the sun.
>
> Oh that this too
> Too solid flesh
> Would melt
>
> [Direct quote]
>
> HAMLET O, that this too too solid flesh would melt
> Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!

3.6 What is "Another Day" about?

We get help from the video here: it is about autism or some other
form of psychological communicative disorder. There are a few theories
being bounced around YML (and any that can be backed up will be included
here) but they generally connect on the psychological meaning.

3.7 What is "Surrounded" about?

During the IAW tour they dedicated the song to Arthur Ashe, the
tennis player who died of AIDS. However, the song seems more about
enlightenment (in several forms) than death. The fact that Ashe was the
first African-American tennis player to succeed in the sport supports this
hypothesis.

3.8 What story is "Metropolis part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper" based on?

It is based on the story of two twins from the Iliad (? or is it
the Odyssey?) who are telepathically linked. It has no relation to the
movie "Metropolis". Petrucci wrote it as a sort of fantasy epic, inspired
by the likes of, you guessed it, Yes and Rush. The story itself is
original (the twins are named Miracle and Sleeper and do not appear in
literature) but the story type was Homeric.

3.9 What is "Wait For Sleep" about? Who is the girl/woman in "Wait For Sleep"?

Kevin Moore has said she was a friend of his who had a spiritual
void and a hard time filling it, reaching for something to believe in. It
dealt with her fears about belief and her grief over a loved one's death.
His explanation is longer, but that about says it.

3.10 What is "Learning to Live" about?

This has been the bigger topic of discussion on the YML because
Myung has commented briefly on it and Portnoy has, while not wanting to
confirm it, indicated that the premise is correct in an interview.
Learning to Live was inspired by the AIDS epidemic. Patricularly, the
"From a common fear ... reach for life" passage, but the rest fits very
snugly with the AIDS theme.

3.11 What is a "Vindaloo"?

A Bombay Vindaloo is a hot spicy herb/pepper served on Indian
food, usually chicken. It is also taken after drinks. My guess is DT got
blasted in Europe and got to try this most interesting spice.

3.12 What was the original title of "Surrounded"?

Promotional cassettes for Images And Words had Surrounded labeled
as "The Longest Night" on the sleeve.

3.13 What is Take The Time about?

The band wrote this as a joint effort just before LaBrie joined
them, so the meanings are many and esoteric. However, in an interview,
Portnoy has said it is just what it implies. You'll find all you need in
your mind if you take the time.

One of the YML subscribers had a very good correlation going on
with part of TTT and J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Since those parts
of the song are heavy in the relation and the rest are not, it is safe to
assume that only one of the four used a Tolkien influence in penning their
part of the lyrics. The middle passage (Unbroken spirit, obscured in
disquiet... must turn to hope) was the clincher. Mike Portnoy indicated that
TTT is definitely NOT a concept song in the way that Pull Me Under is about
what Hamlet is about (which is obvious) or Learning to Live is about AIDS
(also rather clear), but that it has a spectrum of influence and that since
Petrucci wrote the section in question, the influence could very well have
been conceptual. Nobody has asked Mike if LotR is in there, though.

3.14 Where is the sampled voice in "A Fortune In Lies" from?

Mike Portnoy recorded it off a television documentary about the
prison system.

3.15 What are the sampled passages at the beginning of "Take The Time"?

They are samples of Beastie Boys and Public Enemy and read as follows:
"Hold it now (medium)" "Wait a minute (low)" "Come on (high pitch)" The
middle voice is actually Frank Zappa.

3.16 What is being said in Italian in "Take the Time" and where is it from?

It's Italian for "Now that I'm blind, I can see much clearer." It
was from the film "Cinema Paradiso" as the following:
"Adesso che ho
perso la vista,
ci vedo meglio
e di piu"
It's Not a coincidence that LaBrie sings "I can see much clearer
now I'm blind" right before the sample.

3.17 What are the lyrics to "Eve" and where are they from?

They are from "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man" by James Joyce.
The "moo cow" part is from somewhere else, the "ivory tower" part from
somewhere else still, and the "Our Father" part from the Lord's Prayer. The
transcription is as follows.

[soft piano]
Chapter One. Once upon a time, and a very good time it was,
There was a moo cow coming along down the road.
[instrumental]
So He came Himself in weakness, not in power,
And He sent thee, the creature, in His stead.
With the creature's comeliness, and luster,
Suited to our state.
[brief break]
And now, thy very face and form dear mother
Speak to us of the eternal.
Not like earthly beauty, dangerous to look upon;
But like the morning star, which is thy heirloom,
Bright, and musical, breathing purity,
Telling of Heaven and its easing peace.
[brief break]
O harbinger of day! O light of the pilgrim!
Lead us still, as thou hast led,
In the dark night, across the bleak wilderness;
Guide us on to our Lord Jesus; guide us home.
[instrumental]
"Tower of Ivory?" they used to say, "House of Gold?"
"How could a woman be a tower of ivory or a house of gold?"
[instrumental]
Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name,
Lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from evil.
[fadeout]

This has been used live as an intro to both Pull Me Under (on the
Dance of Eternity bootleg, which is also the most complete version) and
Learning to Live (at any number of shows, including both Phoenix shows of
March and May 1993, among others, and skips the Tower of Ivory part) The
above is the composite transcription. At times, it has been performed
without the voice samples altogether.

3.18 What is unique about the song "A Change of Seasons"?

Several things.

First of all, it's the only lyric work Mike Portnoy has ever done.
(of course, it is not the only vocal work Mike has done... Mike had the
dubious priviledge of singing the end of "Surrounded" after James walked
off the stage at one of the England shows)

Second of all, it's the longest DT song at 20:42. It barely misses
matching the longest Rush song on CD (2112, which is 20:47) and the
longest Rush song on LP (2112, which was 21:12). This is a distinction
because it's very rare to find bands comfortable with lengthy formats.

Third of all, it's the only song that had LaBrie singing in it
that has ONLY been recorded live, as in, not for any album. The other four
songs that hold the live distinction are instrumentals.

3.19 Has anybody noticed the re-usable riff phenomenon?

Yes. Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a melody, which is not
quite a riff but is identical if juxtapositioned on a corresponding
major/minor scale, and Wait For Sleep and Learning to Live also share a
main riff. Thematically, none of the songs interconnect. Mike Portnoy has
said that the music is written out before the lyrics are written and set to
melody. It is possible (any interviews mention this?) that they were
intended to be counterparts and that the relation was either scrapped or
made more subtle. The PMU-TTT connection is not as direct as the WFS-LTL
connection. The melody from PMU's "This World is spinning around me, this
world is spinning without me" in a minor scale sung by LaBrie is
reproduced at 4:18 of the TTT instrumental section in a major scale
played by Petrucci. Thus, the remaining question is whether or not 16-note
melodies are reproduced completely in coincidence on the same album by the
same band.

3.20 Has anybody noticed the Another Song phenomenon?

Yes. DT has a knack, it would seem, for Another Song titles.
Another Won (from the Majesty demos), Another Day (from Images And Words)
and Another Hand (prologue to The Killing Hand live and on LATM) are the
factors of this phenomenon. At this rate, the leadoff track from DT's next
album will be called "Another Try" or something like that. Another Hand is
mainly just a bridge intro to "The Killing Hand" but it's a titled segment
just the same.

3.21 Who wrote "(To Live) Forever"?

John Petrucci.

3.22 What is "A Fortune In Lies" about?

According to Mike, it was about a friend of theirs who was busted
for stealing, and the experience he gleaned from it.

3.23 Did the demos "Death of Spock" and "Cry For Freedom" ever go anywhere?

Yes. They became "The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun" and the
leeward end of "A Change of Seasons".

-------
LEGEND:
LP - Record; CT - Cassette; CD - 5" Compact Disc; MD - 2.5" Mini Disc
C3 - 3" Compact Disc - CS - Cassette Single; 2CD - Double CD set; V - Video

4. Brief discography
------------------
4.1 OFFICIAL RELEASES:
Majesty demos, 1986-89, Not produced.
When Dream And Day Unite, 1989, MCA/Mechanix (All) LP, CT, CD
Status Seeker, 1989, MCA/Mechanix (USA) CD
Afterlife, 1989, MCA/Mechanix (USA) CD
Images & Words, 1992, Atlantic/ATCO (USA) CT, CD, MD
Images & Words, 1993, Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) LP, CT, CD
Another Day/Status Seeker, 1993, WEA International (UK Only?) CS
Another Day/Under A Glass Moon, 1993, Atlantic/ATCO (USA) CS
Pull Me Under, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Pull Me Under, 1993, AVision ATCO (USA) V
Take The Time, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Take The Time #2, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Another Day, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Under A Glass Moon, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Surrounded, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Live At The Marquee, 1993, WEA International (Germany, Holland, UK) CD
Live At The Marquee, 1993, MMG Inc. (Japan) CD
Live, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) CD
Images & Words Live In Tokyo, 1993, AVision ATCO (USA) V

4.2 CONFIRMED BOOTLEGS
A Fortune Pulled Under, 1992, LP (USA)
Images & Tour!, 1993, CD (USA)
Runes, 1993, CD (USA)
The Dance Of Eternity, 1993, 2CD (Italy)
Consciously Unreal, 1993, 2CD (Italy)
Skyway of Nightmares, 1993, CD (Germany)
Live in Long Island ptI, 1993, CD (USA)
Live in Long Island ptII, 1993, CD (USA)
Dimension Shift, 1993, CD (Unknown)
Classics Live, 1993, CD (USA)
(not detailed in section 5): various venue recordings including
Washington, D.C.; Buffalo, NY; Sacramento, CA; Ogden, UT;
Talahassee, FL; Terre Haute, IN; Tempe, AZ; El Paso, TX;

5. Extended discography
5.1 The Majesty demos, 1986-89 (Not produced.)
Members of the Band:
John Petrucci (guitars)
Mike Portnoy (drums)
John Myung (bass)
Kevin Moore (keys)
Chris Collins (vocals)

Before they were Dream Theater, they were Majesty. Included on their
demo tapes are the following:

-1986- -1987-
Another Won 5:23 Afterlife
Your Majesty 3:41 "Death of Spock"
A Vision 11:13 The Ytse Jam (Majesty backwards)
Two Far 5:15 The Killing Hand
Vital Star 5:34 Cry for Freedom
March of the Tyrant 5:21 -1988-
A Late Summer Rain --> Mission Impossible Theme
Schizophrenia Golden Slumbers

And the demos without a home:
Heuristica
Dream Theater (yes, it was a song before it was a band!)
Metropolis part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper
Don't Look Past Me
(To Live) Forever
O Holy Night

Anyone with a reliable source for these recordings, please contact
me at the address above... I want to get them...

5.2 When Dream And Day Unite, 1989, MCA/Mechanix, Worldwide
MCD42259/MCAD42259/D:QM-F:BM720
Members of the band:
Vocals: Charlie Dominici
Otherwise same

Side 1 - 1. A Fortune In Lies 5:10
2. Status Seeker 4:15
3. The Ytse Jam 5:43
4. The Killing Hand 8:40
I. The Observance
II. Ancient Renewal
III. The Stray Seed
IV. Thorus
V. Exodus
Side 2 - 5. Light Fuse and Get Away 7:23
6. Afterlife 5:27
7. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun 8:04
8. Only a Matter of Time 6:35

5.3 Status Seeker, 1989, MCA/Mechanix, USA
Promo CD single, mixed by Terry Brown (Rush)

1. Status Seeker (LP version) 4:15

5.4 Afterlife, 1989, MCA/Mechanix, USA
Promo CD single, mixed by Terry Brown (Rush)

1. Afterlife (LP version) 5:27

5.5 Images & Words, 1992, Atlantic/ATCO, USA
7567-92148-2
A known variant exists on cassette with a promotional cover.
Members of the band:
Vocals: James LaBrie
Otherwise same

Side 1 - 1. Pull Me Under 8:11
2. Another Day 4:22
3. Take The Time 8:21
4. Surrounded 5:28
Side 2 - 5. Metropolis Part I
(The Miracle and the Sleeper) 9:30
6. Under a Glass Moon 7:02
7. Wait For Sleep 2:31
8. Learning to Live 11:30

5.6 Images & Words, 1993, Sony Music Entertainment (Japan)
Need a catalog # (mine is a copy)

5.7 Another Day, 1993, WEA International, UK Only? Confirmation anyone?
Need a catalog # (submitted as entry, I don't own it)
Cassette Single

Side 1 - Another Day (LP Version) 4:22
Side 2 - Status Seeker (Live) 4:28

5.8 Another Day, 1991, Atlantic/ATCO, USA
ATCO 4-98415
Cassette Single

Side 1 - Another Day (LP Version) 4:22
Side 2 - Under A Glass Moon (LP Version) 7:02

5.9 Pull Me Under, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) PRCD 5067
CD Single
Two known variants exist missing one of the three tracks.

Pull Me Under (Edit) 4:39
Pull Me Under (MTV Edit) 4:48
Pull Me Under (LP Version) 8:11

5.10 Pull Me Under, 1993, AVision ATCO (USA)
Need a catalog # (submitted as entry, I don't own it)
Video

Pull Me Under (MTV Edit) 4:48
Pull Me Under (LP Version) 8:11

5.11 Take The Time, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) PRCD 5069, 4949
CD Single
Three known variants exist containing the same tracks, but
in different packaging.

Take The Time (MTV Edit) 5:31
Take The Time (LP Version) 8:21

5.12 Another Day, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) PRCD 5077
CD Single

Another Day (LP Version) 4:21

5.13 Under A Glass Moon, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) PRCD 5080
CD Single

Under A Glass Moon (LP Version) 7:02

5.14 Surrounded, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA) PRCD 5104
CD Single

Surrounded (LP Version) 5:29

5.15 Live At The Marquee, 1993, WEA International (Germany, Holland, UK)
7567-92286-2/CA 835
CD EP
Recorded in London, England, UK, April 1993

Metropolis 9:36
A Fortune In Lies 5:10
Bombay Vindaloo 6:48
Surrounded 6:00
Another Hand/The Killing Hand 10:30
Pull Me Under 8:42

5.16 Live At The Marquee, 1993, MMG Inc. (Japan)
ACM4-574
CD EP
Identical to Germany/Holland/UK version Except:
Substitute track:
4. Another Day 4:37

5.17 Live, 1993, ATCO Promotional (USA)
PRCD 5340-2
CD Single
1. Pull Me Under (live) 8:42
2. Surrounded (live) 6:00
Both tracks taken from the EP "Live at the Marquee"

5.18 Images & Words Live In Tokyo, 1993, AVision ATCO (USA)
50537-3
Full-length video release (need times)

1. Arrival 0:31
2. Under A Glass Moon (live) 7:13
3. The making of Pull Me Under 3:03
4. Pull Me Under (video) 4:48
5. The making of Take The Time 2:15
6. Take The Time (video) 5:31
7. Kimonos and tapes that are too big 3:01
8. The condoms of Dream Theater 1:02
9. The interview 0:27
10. Wait For Sleep (live) --> 2:45
11. Surrounded (live) 5:54
12. The Ytse Jam/Drum Solo (live) 10:28
13. Balls and chunk are where it's at 0:51
14. Another Day (video) 4:29
15. (To Live) Forever/Free form instrumental (live) 12:05
16. A Fortune In Lies (live) 5:00
17. Mike crosses the Abbey Road 1:11
18. Pup/Take The Time (live) 10:32
19. Take The Time by Galactic Cowboys 0:29
20. Take The Time by Sebastian Bach 0:25
21. Breast signing 0:50
22. Pull Me Under (live) 8:29

BOOTLEGS
--------------------------------------
5.19 A Fortune Pulled Under (USA) 1992, LP
Need a mfr. and catalog # (it was submitted)
1 LP
Recorded in Paris, France, October 1992
Side 1 - Take The Time
Afterlife
The Ytse Jam/Drum Solo
Only a Matter of Time
Side 2 - Guitar Solo/A Fortune In Lies
Under a Glass Moon
Surrounded
Pull Me Under

It is VERY likely that this is a regional title, possibly a boot
taken from a radio show that has been reproduced by more than one
bootleg manufacturer. This is because another boot, "Dimension
Shift" is nearly identical to this one, and this one is next to
impossible to find.

5.20 Images & Tour! (USA) 1993, CD (Big Red Records #48733-DT)
1 CD
Recorded from soundboard evaluation tapes (unknowingly?) provided
by the band itself. Sound quality excellent.

Dance of Eternity 9:46 (Metropolis mislabeled)
A Fortune In Lies 5:02
-London
Under a Glass Moon 7:15
-Tempe
?/Bombay Vindaloo (mislabeled?) 7:08
-Salt Lake City
Waits For Sleep (mislabeled the "s" in Wait) 2:44
Surrounded 6:10
-Philadelphia
Instrumental/Drum Solo 10:53 (Ytse Jam mislabeled)
-Bonn
(To Live) Forever 4:50
Guitar Solo 7:20
-Portland
Pup/Take The Time (mislabeled?) 10:31
-Tokyo
Pull Me Under 8:35
-London

*** Corrected: A Fortune In Lies is track #2, not Afterlife as previously
noted. I finally got an original of this one and confirmed this.
The vendor is Tracks In Wax, N. Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ.
A whole show is not included; absent is Learning to Live and
Another Hand/The Killing Hand.

5.21 Runes (USA) 1993, CD (The Camera's Ear Productions, #9103)
1 CD
Recorded in Sacramento, CA, USA, no date given.
Can be distinguished by lack of good bass in the first three tracks.
(cuts right to song, no fade-in)
Metropolis
Under A Glass Moon
(To Live) Forever
Wait For Sleep
Surrounded
A Fortune In Lies
Take The Time
Pull Me Under
Learning To Live
(cuts off after last chord)

*** I need to know who is vending this.

5.22 The Dance of Eternity (Italy) 1993, 2CD (Why Not? Records WOT2014/15)
2 CD's - further notes above in description section
Recorded at the Limelight, New York, March 4 1993
Disc 1
Metropolis, part 1 9.21
A Fortune In Lies 5.20
Under A Glass Moon 7.31
Surrounded 6.16
The Ytse Jam 9.46
(To Live) Forever 5.57
Take The Time 10.42
Disc 2
Eve/Pull Me Under 13.59
Another Day 6.39
Another Hand/The Killing Hand 8.20
A Change Of Seasons 20.04
Wait For Sleep 2.52
Learning To Live 13.14

*** Every importer/specialty shop I inquired at indicated they could obtain
copies of this, so you should have no trouble.

5.23 Consciously Unreal (Italy) 1993, 2CD
Classical Shots on CD
Worldwide distribution by Robespierre, Srl, Italy
CD #1 - CSCD009; CD #2 - CSCD010
Tracks 1-11 recorded in Milan, Italy on 5 April 1993. LaBrie on
vocals. Tracks 12-16 recorded during the Dream & Day tour, Dominici vocals.
Disc 1
Metropolis part I
A Fortune In Lies
Under A Glass Moon
Surrounded
The Ytse Jam/Drum Solo
Another Day
The Killing Hand
Pull Me Under
Take The Time

Disc 2
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live
-----------------
Metropolis part I
Afterlife
(To Live) Forever
The Ytse Jam
The Killing Hand

5.24 Skyway of Nightmares (UK) 1993, CD
Recorded at Augsbug Rockfabrik, 7 April 1993, Germany

Metropolis part I
A Fortune In Lies
Under a Glass Moon
Surrounded
The Ytse Jam
Another Day
Pull Me Under
Take The Time
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live

5.25 Live In Long Island: Home At Last
Recorded at the Sparks Club, 4 October 1992
Deep Park, Long Island, NY (The humble place of origin of DT)

Part I Intro
The Simpsons
Metropolis
Under A Glass Moon
Only A Matter Of Time
Surrounded
Pull Me Under
The Ytse Jam/Drum Solo
Moon Bubbles
Another Day
Another Hand/The Killing Hand
Part II Take The Time
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live
A Change of Seasons
(and from the demos:)
Another Won 5:23
Your Majesty 3:41
Two Far 5:15
March of the Tyrant 5:21

5.26 Dimension Shift
Nothing known about this--seen in a magazine ad. Suspected to be the
same boot as A Fortune Pulled Under.
Metropolis
Take The Time
Status Seeker
Afterlife
Under A Glass Moon
The Ytse Jam/Drum solo
Only A Matter of Time
Another Day
A Fortune In Lies/guitar solo
Surrounded
Pull Me Under

5.27 Classics Live
(1993 REBORN CLASSICS: RC1045)
Recorded at Plus 5, Ft. Lauderdale, Sat. 5 1992
It has the same cover as LATM, with text 'Classics Live' instead of LATM

1. Under a Glass Moon
2. Only a Matter of Time
3. Surrounded
4. Pull me under
5. The Ytse Jam
6. Another Day
7. Another Hand/The Killing Hand
8. Take The Time
Bonus track
9. Vital Star (from Majesty demos)

[END]
8< 8< 8< 8< 8<

Mike/gar...@indirect.com/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep, and at odds with our senses we'll
climb. But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it, and if spirit's
a sign, then it's only a matter of time... -Dream Theater