Iommi/Rhoads

Dt Lemons 1900

Apr 27, 2007, 1:32:25 PM4/27/07
Has Tony ever commented on Rhoads guitar playing? I would like to have been
with him when he first heard Rhoads play.

KillMaster

Apr 27, 2007, 5:18:57 PM4/27/07
In article <f8WdnV1LscQBrq_b...@wavecable.com>,

"Dt Lemons 1900" <YEAHRIGHT> wrote:

> Has Tony ever commented on Rhoads guitar playing? I would like to have been
> with him when he first heard Rhoads play.

I bet uÄ…d have wanted to suck him off u FAG

Stick to PEDO PIGGY.....way more juicy

Raddion

Apr 27, 2007, 9:28:49 PM4/27/07

"Dt Lemons 1900" <YEAHRIGHT> wrote in message

> Has Tony ever commented on Rhoads guitar playing? I would like to have
been
> with him when he first heard Rhoads play.

Oddly enough, yeah, me too.

Ha ha, I don't think Iommi accepted new influences EVER except for maybe
Technical Ecstacy. As far as I know he has not commented on Rhoads' playing.
All I remember is that fucking jerk Vivian Campell commenting on Iommi's
playing!

Captain Tripps

Apr 27, 2007, 9:44:06 PM4/27/07
"Raddion" <rad...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote in

Can you recall which Wal-Mart opening Vivian was playing at when he made
these comments?

Voice of Reason

Apr 27, 2007, 10:25:12 PM4/27/07
On Apr 27, 8:44 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Raddion" <radd...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote innews:lrxYh.19835$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

I am sure Iommi is envious of Randy's technical abilities. Randy was
also more than capable of cranking out solid rhythm riffs. But Iommi
can always use his missing fingertips as an excuse for his lack of
mind-blowing accomplishments.

Speaking of Wal-Mart....

A few years ago, I met Ivan Koloff in Wal-Mart. He was selling
autographs for a children's charity. I asked if he would be willing to
take a picture with my dog for a sizable donation, but he declined. In
case you are interested, he doesn't have a Russian accent in real
life. It was a huge let down for me because I used to watch him
wrestle when I was a little kid.

So, you would think meeting Ivan Koloff in a Wal-Mart would be a once
in a lifetime occurrence, wouldn't you?

Nope. I met him again a few weeks ago. He was doing the same thing.
Life is strange.

Raddion

Apr 28, 2007, 5:57:38 AM4/28/07

"Voice of Reason" <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 27, 8:44 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Raddion" <radd...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote
innews:lrxYh.19835$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

> > > "Dt Lemons 1900" <YEAHRIGHT> wrote in message
> > > been
> >
> > > Oddly enough, yeah, me too.
> >
> > > Ha ha, I don't think Iommi accepted new influences EVER except for
> > > maybe Technical Ecstacy. As far as I know he has not commented on
> > > Rhoads' playing. All I remember is that fucking jerk Vivian Campell
> > > commenting on Iommi's playing!
> >
> > Can you recall which Wal-Mart opening Vivian was playing at when he made
> > these comments?
>
> I am sure Iommi is envious of Randy's technical abilities. Randy was
> also more than capable of cranking out solid rhythm riffs. But Iommi
> can always use his missing fingertips as an excuse for his lack of
> mind-blowing accomplishments.

His lack of mind-blowing accomplishments? He wrote six of the greatest
albums ever. If Iommi hadn't WILLED Sabbath to the top, Rhoads would still
be giving guitar lessons in California!

Raddion

Apr 28, 2007, 6:04:29 AM4/28/07

"Captain Tripps" <cptr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ha ha I forgot about that! How gay!!!!

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 6:09:40 AM4/28/07
"Raddion" <rad...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote in

That was a rare slag on the man who invented heavy metal. And over a
Vivian Campbell remark at that.

What else can you expect from a DUMB moderator?

Well stated Rad, Iommi is responsible for the careers of thousands of
guitarists.

squid...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2007, 7:13:37 AM4/28/07
On Apr 27, 12:32 pm, "Dt Lemons 1900" <YEAHRIGHT> wrote:
> Has Tony ever commented on Rhoads guitar playing? I would like to have been
> with him when he first heard Rhoads play.

Even better, I would like to have been there when Rhoads first heard
Eddie play.

And if anyone wants to rag on Tony's playing, they need to go back and
listen to Sabotage.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 9:59:47 AM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 4:57 am, "Raddion" <radd...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote:

Iommi co-wrote many albums. Credit for Sabbath's success over the
years should be given to all who contributed. Some of their albums
were exceptional. Others were lackluster, even by Sabbath standards. I
do not partake in hero-worship lightly, so it is difficult for me to
hail all things Iommi as made of gold. Some were made of shit. I thank
Iommi for giving me some wonderful pieces of music, but I cannot tell
a lie and say the man blows my mind. His lead work left a lot to be
desired. His rhythm work usually had a nice hook and should be
applauded.

Randy was a better guitarist than Iommi. All you have to do is listen
to any of his leads and hear the difference. He had superior abilities
and classical training. But the most important thing about the Randy
leads were that all of his expertise seems to melt away because the
listener does not concentrate on which notes and the order of the
notes due to the fact that he played his leads with feeling even
though they were structurally interesting. Randy isn't my favorite
guitarist, but he was better than Iommi in many measurable ways.
Randy's rhythms were also on par with Iommi's, but Randy's rhythm tone
was not to my liking.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 10:10:44 AM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 5:09 am, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Raddion" <radd...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote innews:QSEYh.3245$H84....@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:
>

> > "Voice of Reason" <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote in message

My comments about Iommi have nothing to do with Vivian Campbell.
Campbell hasn't done anything of value in years. His work on the first
two DIO albums was to my liking, but he is not my favorite guitarist
of all time. As a matter of fact, I heard him do a Free cover on his
latest solo album and was overcome by the desire to cut off his
fingers because his rendition was appalling.

I do not go into hysteric mode when someone criticizes a former DIO
guitarist because I am not a DIO fanatic.

However, Steely Dan jokes might push me over the edge. :-)

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 10:20:20 AM4/28/07
In article <1177768787.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Not a fan of the open crybaby wah-wah tone?

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 10:31:53 AM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 9:20 am, artcinco <artci...@fema.gov> wrote:
> In article <1177768787.953699.233...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Art,

I never asked you what type of guitar you played. Please tell me now.

In answer to your question, wah-wah has its time and place. The same
can be said of false harmonics. My problem with anything is its
application in excess.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 10:39:47 AM4/28/07
In article <1177770713.8...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

My current guitar I play is a $20 wal-mart acoustic.

My back in the day guitars that are in the closet under some stuff are a
Gibson Flying V, a Les Paul copy (more like a Paul since it does not
have binding) made by Electra, and a Fender Telecaster.

I don't remember exact years or where they were built or wiring configs.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 10:45:15 AM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 9:39 am, artcinco <artci...@fema.gov> wrote:
> In article <1177770713.804103.205...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

Well, without the year, location, and wiring configuration to include
gauge of wire and metal grade, we cannot even begin to discuss your
guitars. Sorry.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 10:56:58 AM4/28/07
In article <1177771515....@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

I figured that.

One is white and one is black. One has a white pick guard with a black
paint job.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 11:08:48 AM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 9:56 am, artcinco <artci...@fema.gov> wrote:
> In article <1177771515.035834.96...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

I am certain you play better than me. Tell us what types of music suit
your skills. You must have strong fingers to play that acoustic
because the action is probably high. I am envious in that respect.

What was the first song you tried to learn how to play?

Do you create original music now?

Scot Clayton

Apr 28, 2007, 1:06:18 PM4/28/07
Raddion wrote:

> His lack of mind-blowing accomplishments? He wrote six of the greatest
> albums ever. If Iommi hadn't WILLED Sabbath to the top, Rhoads would still
> be giving guitar lessons in California!

Amen BROTHER!
...what HE said!

--
-*-Scot
ScotC...@ScotClayton.org

Scot Clayton

Apr 28, 2007, 1:07:07 PM4/28/07
Captain Tripps wrote:

> Well stated Rad, Iommi is responsible for the careers of thousands of
> guitarists.

AND...millions of Heavy Metal fans!

RonnieJamesDio.org 24/7 Rocking Radio
<http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1215640292>

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 1:16:37 PM4/28/07
In article <1177772928.3...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

The action isn't too bad.

> What was the first song you tried to learn how to play?

Don't really recall the exact first song but I think one of the earliest
songs I learned was Working Man by Rush.

> Do you create original music now?

I have written some tunes over the years but not much recently.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 1:49:03 PM4/28/07
Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in

Who is going into hysteric mode?

Your comment was either about Campbell or Rhoades, either way it was
ridiculous. Iommi has never had to make excuses, let's be realistic.

Message has been deleted

Raddion

Apr 28, 2007, 3:19:34 PM4/28/07

"Voice of Reason" <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Randy's rhythms were not on par with Iommi's. Randy was a technically great
and gifted guitarist, and Iommi was a squirrel running loose on a fretboard.
Oh, I never said I hailed everything Iommi ever made as gold. He started
mailing in his solos after Technical Ecstacy. But Randy's leads often
wandered off into "melody clash" territory - or "Eddie Van Halen Disease" as
we call it down at the Iommi Fan Club. Neither guitarist was perfect, it's
all a matter of taste. As much as I hate to admit it, I would probably
rather listen to Vivian Campell's work with Dio than Randy's, he just had a
jangly, harsh sound that doesn't jibe well with Vicodin.

Raddion

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 3:45:17 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 12:16 pm, artcinco <artci...@fema.gov> wrote:
> In article <1177772928.311152.287...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

Have you ever heard the version of "Working Man" with Jake E. Lee,
Sebastian Bach, Mike Portnoy, and Billy Sheehan? If so, do you like it?

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 3:48:52 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 12:49 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wasn't saying you were becoming hysterical. I was saying I do not
become hysterical when discussing guitarists.

But you and I will have to agree to disagree about Iommi because I
have read interviews in which he stated that his accident has
prevented him from doing everything he would like to be able to do on
his guitar. He does a fine job, but the man seems to know his own
limitations more than his fans do. I found this admission on his part
to be rather self-deprecating and made me think more of him as a human
being because he doesn't seem to believe his own hype. That's a good
thing.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 3:54:48 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 2:19 pm, "Raddion" <radd...@NOSPAMsnet.net> wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your statement about
one being a "technically great and gifted guitarist" and the other one
being a "squirrel running loose on a fret board." I have always
enjoyed well-structured guitar pieces because I have a linear mind. I
much prefer to hear something that has been built from the ground up
and follows a logical progression. Iommi's fast leads end up sounding
like meaningless flurries of notes to me, but his slower solos usually
have organized structure.

It reminds me of the difference between Dave Mustaine and Kirk
Hammett. Dave plays like a squirrel. Kirk builds his solos like an
architect. People criticize Hammett for being predictable, but there
is something special about constructing a solo that is rational.

Supernaut

Apr 28, 2007, 4:19:29 PM4/28/07

> Well, without the year, location, and wiring configuration to include
> gauge of wire and metal grade, we cannot even begin to discuss your
> guitars. Sorry.

hahaha Supernaut LOL post of the day award! your certificate and spool of 5
gauge wire are in the mail.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 4:48:29 PM4/28/07
Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in

Agreed/Disagreed

Iommi was injured in something like 1968 so pretty much his entire career
has seen that "limitation".

On the other hand (no pun intended) guys like Glen Tipton who
miraculously learned how to sweep arpeggios somewhere between "Turbo" and
"Painkiller" still fell short in the 'guitar god' category. There is a
lot more to this fact than the obvious comparisons.

Iommi might be the one and only metal guitarist I can think of who has
not (nor ever had to) compromised his style. What he gave to the world of
"heavy metal" was truly a gift and like Chuck Berry gave something to
Keith Richards, Iommi's gift and his style are both very much legendary.

Think about it in the true perspective - that's all I was saying.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 4:51:08 PM4/28/07

> On Apr 28, 12:16 pm, artcinco <artci...@fema.gov> wrote:
>> In article <1177772928.311152.287...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote:

Giggity.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 4:53:06 PM4/28/07
Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in

Remember when Kirk Hammett Sucked and then he took lessons from Joe
Satriani? Remember how he used to use a wah-wah in every solo and then
he... umm...

never mind.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 5:01:16 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 3:53 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:

I remember the solos on "Kill Em All" as being lackluster. I remember
the solos on "Ride the Lightning" being among my favorites from his
entire career.

I do not know when Hammett took lessons from Satriani unless he did it
when he was in Exodus? If he took lessons after "Ride the Lightning,"
he shouldn't have because his playing become more mechanical.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 5:46:00 PM4/28/07
Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote in

It was right before "...And Justice For All".

(Don't start with me unless you plan to finish with me)

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 6:46:29 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 4:46 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Start/finish what? A discussion of Kirk Hammett's style?

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 7:17:22 PM4/28/07

> On Apr 28, 4:46 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote
>> innews:1177794076.1...@c35g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

No, I was referring to a ripping game of "Strip Sorry".

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 7:41:44 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 6:17 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is this going to get hot?

(I've been waiting to use that line since people are always joking me
with it. Sadly, I think I might have just joked myself in order to
crack one on you. Such is life.)

I will follow your lead in terms of what you want to discuss. Carry on.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 7:52:06 PM4/28/07

> On Apr 28, 6:17 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote
>> innews:1177800389....@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

you should probably wear a sweater.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 7:55:25 PM4/28/07
In article <ri47335cebhhebi6c...@4ax.com>,
Ming-Ming <th...@is.sewious> wrote:

> Is this going to get hot?

It wasn't like this in the 70's or 80's.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 7:56:24 PM4/28/07
In article <1177789517.7...@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

Voice of Reason <locust.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have not.

Voice of Reason

Apr 28, 2007, 8:03:26 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 6:52 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Meaning you didn't have anything else to say about Satriani giving him
lessons?

Agent Albert

Apr 28, 2007, 8:37:21 PM4/28/07

"artcinco" <artc...@fema.gov> wrote in message news:artcinco-

>> Have you ever heard the version of "Working Man" with Jake E. Lee,
>> Sebastian Bach, Mike Portnoy, and Billy Sheehan? If so, do you like it?
>
> I have not.

I think I've got that, Art. I can mp3 you if you like.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 8:40:23 PM4/28/07
In article <4633e8b1$0$9955$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"Agent Albert" <agent...@twinpeaks.org> wrote:

Thanks. Still have my gmail addy?

Agent Albert

Apr 28, 2007, 9:02:16 PM4/28/07

"artcinco" <artc...@fema.gov> wrote in message

I was wrong. I have Sebastian Bach, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy and Billy
Sheehan doing the Rush tune Jacob's Ladder. I think I downloaded that Rush
tribute cd, and I apparently wasn't impressed enough with Working Man to keep
it. The only other track from that I kept was Jack Russell, Mike Portnoy and
Billy Sheehand doing The Analog Kid.

artcinco

Apr 28, 2007, 9:04:44 PM4/28/07
In article <4633ee88$0$19398$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"Agent Albert" <agent...@twinpeaks.org> wrote:

> "artcinco" <artc...@fema.gov> wrote in message
> > In article <4633e8b1$0$9955$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,

> >> I think I've got that, Art. I can mp3 you if you like.
> >
> > Thanks. Still have my gmail addy?
>
> I was wrong. I have Sebastian Bach, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy and Billy
> Sheehan doing the Rush tune Jacob's Ladder. I think I downloaded that Rush
> tribute cd, and I apparently wasn't impressed enough with Working Man to keep
> it. The only other track from that I kept was Jack Russell, Mike Portnoy and
> Billy Sheehand doing The Analog Kid.

Those tribute albums usually aren't that good. Thanks anyway.

Agent Albert

Apr 28, 2007, 9:14:44 PM4/28/07

"artcinco" <artc...@fema.gov> wrote in message

It wasn't. Found one more. James Labrie and Steve Morse doing Red Barchetta. Now
I kinda want to hear the Working Man cover, though.

Church of Sabbatology

Apr 28, 2007, 9:46:26 PM4/28/07
On Apr 28, 6:37 pm, "Agent Albert" <agentalb...@twinpeaks.org> wrote:
> "artcinco" <artci...@fema.gov> wrote in message news:artcinco-

Sounds interesting. Don't think I've heard this.

Scot Clayton

Apr 28, 2007, 10:17:32 PM4/28/07
artcinco wrote:

>>> Don't really recall the exact first song but I think one of the earliest
>>> songs I learned was Working Man by Rush.

>>> I have written some tunes over the years but not much recently.
>> Is this going to get hot?
>
> It wasn't like this in the 70's or 80's.

...or the 60's... :-(

--
-*-Scot
ScotC...@ScotClayton.org

Scot Clayton

Apr 28, 2007, 10:20:45 PM4/28/07
Voice of Reason wrote:

> It reminds me of the difference between Dave Mustaine and Kirk
> Hammett. Dave plays like a squirrel. Kirk builds his solos like an
> architect. People criticize Hammett for being predictable, but there
> is something special about constructing a solo that is rational.

Hammett's solo's always reminded me of a Gay Robot....for some
reason...never liked his style...too bad, Dave was/is such a douche!

RonnieJamesDio.org 24/7 Rocking Radio
<http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1215640292>

Scot Clayton

Apr 28, 2007, 10:22:58 PM4/28/07
squid...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 27, 12:32 pm, "Dt Lemons 1900" <YEAHRIGHT> wrote:
>> Has Tony ever commented on Rhoads guitar playing? I would like to have been
>> with him when he first heard Rhoads play.
>
> Even better, I would like to have been there when Rhoads first heard
> Eddie play.
>
> And if anyone wants to rag on Tony's playing, they need to go back and
> listen to Sabotage.

or get a SG shoved up their ass, backwards!

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 11:24:04 PM4/28/07
Scot Clayton <ScotC...@RonnieJamesDio.org> wrote in

>>> Is this going to get hot?
>>
>> It wasn't like this in the 70's or 80's.
>
> ...or the 60's... :-(

Or the 20's.

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 11:25:50 PM4/28/07
"Agent Albert" <agent...@twinpeaks.org> wrote in news:4633ee88$0$19398
$4c36...@roadrunner.com:

> The only other track from that I kept was Jack Russell, Mike Portnoy and
> Billy Sheehand doing The Analog Kid.

Jack Russell?

Slowly I turned.....

Captain Tripps

Apr 28, 2007, 11:31:47 PM4/28/07

> On Apr 28, 6:52 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote
>> innews:1177803704....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

All I can say is the first time I hear "one" on the radio (WAAF Boston,
Manfan) I turned to my guitarist and said "Dude, is this new Satriani?"

As it happened, months later on Rockline if I'm correct, Kirk mentioned
that he took some lessons from Satch during the bands break.

For me, I noticed it straight away. Other folks may not have, but
I did and I named Satch by name.

Message has been deleted

Agent Albert

Apr 29, 2007, 6:12:07 AM4/29/07

"Captain Tripps" <cptr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

He's got a good set of pipes. He's comparable to a Ray Gillen, but alive.

Captain Tripps

Apr 29, 2007, 7:15:53 AM4/29/07
"Agent Albert" <agent...@twinpeaks.org> wrote in

I don't care for the guy anymore.

squid...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 7:26:45 AM4/30/07
On Apr 28, 2:54 pm, Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > messagenews:1177727112....@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...> On Apr

Kirk Hammett = B O R I N G

squid...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 7:29:04 AM4/30/07
On Apr 28, 3:48 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote innews:1177789732....@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> > On Apr 28, 12:49 pm, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Voice of Reason <locust.of.cont...@gmail.com> wrote
> >> innews:1177769444.0...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> >> Who is going into hysteric mode?
>
> >> Your comment was either about Campbell or Rhoades, either way it was
> >> ridiculous. Iommi has never had to make excuses, let's be realistic.
>
> > I wasn't saying you were becoming hysterical. I was saying I do not
> > become hysterical when discussing guitarists.
>
> > But you and I will have to agree to disagree about Iommi because I
> > have read interviews in which he stated that his accident has
> > prevented him from doing everything he would like to be able to do on
> > his guitar. He does a fine job, but the man seems to know his own
> > limitations more than his fans do. I found this admission on his part
> > to be rather self-deprecating and made me think more of him as a human
> > being because he doesn't seem to believe his own hype. That's a good
> > thing.
>
> Agreed/Disagreed
>
> Iommi was injured in something like 1968 so pretty much his entire career
> has seen that "limitation".
>
> On the other hand (no pun intended) guys like Glen Tipton who
> miraculously learned how to sweep arpeggios somewhere between "Turbo" and
> "Painkiller" still fell short in the 'guitar god' category. There is a
> lot more to this fact than the obvious comparisons.
>
> Iommi might be the one and only metal guitarist I can think of who has
> not (nor ever had to) compromised his style. What he gave to the world of
> "heavy metal" was truly a gift and like Chuck Berry gave something to
> Keith Richards, Iommi's gift and his style are both very much legendary.
>
> Think about it in the true perspective - that's all I was saying.

As a soloist, I would say that Tipton is at least as good as Iommi. In
fact, his stuff on Screaming for Vengeance is pretty damn good.

Iommi just rules all because of the riffs. And riffs come first.

squid...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 7:33:27 AM4/30/07
On Apr 29, 6:15 am, Captain Tripps <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Agent Albert" <agentalb...@twinpeaks.org> wrote innews:46346f68$0$16728$4c36...@roadrunner.com:
>

> > "Captain Tripps" <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Agent Albert" <agentalb...@twinpeaks.org> wrote in
> >> news:4633ee88$0$19398 $4c368...@roadrunner.com:

> >> Jack Russell?
>
> >> Slowly I turned.....
>
> > He's got a good set of pipes. He's comparable to a Ray Gillen, but
> > alive.
>
> I don't care for the guy anymore.

Would anyone like to postulate upon the Fergie vs. Gwen controversy? I
am of the inherent mindset the Fergie song is a complete rip off of
Gwen's earlier hit.

Imbibe, determine and discuss.

++Captain Tripps++

Apr 30, 2007, 7:46:49 AM4/30/07

<squid...@gmail.com> wrote in message
From a purely technical standpoint, I think Tipton runs circles around Iommi
as a lead player. However when I think "The guy who single-handedly created
metal as we all know it" the only guy that comes to mind is Iommi.

My point wasn't to say Tipton isn't "as good", just that he isn't generally
regarded in the same league at all. Personally I think Tipton has been
overlooked in a big way when the discussion of legendary guitarists comes up
but Iommi is the elder statesman of Heavy Metal and that's just the way it
ought to be.

squid...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 8:44:20 AM4/30/07
On Apr 30, 6:46 am, "++Captain Tripps++" <cptri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <squidham...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I took what you said too literally since you were talking about
arpeggios. Yeah, Iommi is definitely in a different league as far as
history goes.

Agent Albert

Apr 30, 2007, 9:47:00 AM4/30/07

<squid...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Haven't heard of this, do tell.

Captain Tripps

Apr 30, 2007, 12:26:10 PM4/30/07

Gwen has the better face, Fergie has the better body.

Did this help?

++Captain Tripps++

Apr 30, 2007, 5:55:50 PM4/30/07

<squid...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I might be wrong so correct me if I am but I thought that most of my
favorite Metallica solos were by Hetfield, one example being Unforgiven.

Scot Clayton

May 1, 2007, 10:28:25 PM5/1/07
squid...@gmail.com wrote:

> Iommi just rules all because of the riffs. And riffs come first.

THE Squid, is wish, and just. Long Live The Squid!

Scot Clayton

May 1, 2007, 10:29:50 PM5/1/07
++Captain Tripps++ wrote:

>However when I think "The guy who single-handedly created
> metal as we all know it" the only guy that comes to mind is Iommi.

That's because he did!

...and the Capt. is wise!

Scot Clayton

May 1, 2007, 10:37:00 PM5/1/07
Scot Clayton wrote:
> squid...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Iommi just rules all because of the riffs. And riffs come first.
>>

> THE Squid, is wish, and just. Long Live The Squid!

of course I 'meant' wise!

I just WISH that I wasn't under a big cloud of pain today...too many
meds...NOT enough relief!