I've been locked out out by Dell

Dave

Mar 1, 2004, 8:13:17 PM3/1/04
Yesterday I posted to the Dell video board as I've been experiencing
something wierd when I rip/burn some DVDs.

******

I bought a Dell Dimension 2400 around Christmas time...complete with a
Samsung SD-616E DVD player in drive D and a Teac DV-W58E DVD+RW burner in
drive E. For the first month or so I wuz burning on the fly...with very few
problems. Then 2 weeks ago I wuz taught how to rip an image of a DVD and
then burn it afterwards (which apparantly is the proper way of burning
DVD/CDR's).
The problem occours in that sometimes when I load a DVD bootleg into my E
(burner) drive...to rip it....it reads it as a *data disc*. When I click
*burn* to create an image.....a window pops up saying the following:

*There is not enough space on any of your local hard drives to make a
temporary image. Please free up 4,294,863,419 MB, then click retry to
continue*

When this error happens I then reconfigure my Sonic so as to burn the disc
on the fly...which usually works no problem.

This problem doesn't happen with every disc I try to rip....but it does on
some of them. I am burning dvd bootlegs of rock concerts (I collect and
trade dvd boots).

Recently a window popped up when I wuz using some new brand of DVD+R blanks
(Sonic)...and said that I needed to format the media. I clicked a few
things which I wuz prompted for (including something about DLR)...and since
then the above problem has been happenning on occasion. So I went into my
burner drive and disabled DLR...hoping that would fix the problem..but I
still get the above error message sometimes when trying to rip a DVD. As
noted...I seem to be able to burn on the fly no problem.

Btw...I'm using Sonic Record Now as my software.

Why would my burner drive read a source dvd as a data disc with so much
space required (thus preventing me from ripping it)??

Any help would be appreciated...

Hookah2k4

********

To which I got a response posted directly from Dell:

*****

hookah2k4,

Well, I would generally say thank you for using the forum, but I cannot.

You are doing something that is illegal, and asking for help with doing it.
I am proud that other forum users have not answered you. Any answer, which
provides help in illegally copying DVDs will be deleted from the forum, and
the user will be issued a warning.

Illegal copying of DVDs will not be discussed on the forum.

I will be locking this thread.

*************

Fuck Dell!!!!

Dave - Toronto

Squiggly30

Mar 1, 2004, 11:34:51 PM3/1/04
Dave, you're not having this problem too are you?

Joe

"Dave" <cro...@infinity.net> wrote in message

Dave

Mar 2, 2004, 12:49:55 AM3/2/04
> Dave, you're not having this problem too are you?

Yeah. Usually when I insert a dvd bootleg into my burner drive (with my
software open)...after a few seconds it reads how much space is used on the
disc....then I click burn to read/save the image (and then after that's done
it spits out the boot and asks for a blank disc to write to). But sometimes
it reads the source disc as a *data disc* instead of giving me a readout of
3700 MB or 4100MB or whatever the size of the file is. Then when I click
burn to read/save the image...I get that message saying that I need so many
billions of MB freed up before I can do the task. When that happens I
reconfigure my software to burn the disc on the fly....and that usually
solves the problem.

I prefer to burn dvds by ripping the image and then writing to a disc
afterwards (fewer errors that way)...thereby using my burner drive for the
entire process. But once in awhile this happens and I am forced to burn on
the fly (good thing I got a dvd player in a separate drive).

Any idea what the problem could be?? I posted to Dell's board thinking I
would get some good advice as it's their computer...but I wuz locked out by
a moderator cuz I mentioned burning bootleg dvds for trading (as I give the
proverbial middle finger to the establishment).

Any help appreciated...

Dave - Toronto

Capper

Mar 2, 2004, 3:53:43 AM3/2/04

Have you been remembering to delete the old used images off the hard
drive? sounds like you been leaving them on there and you have simply ran
out of space

--
Regards Capper
it was one of those nights when you turn out the lights and everything comes

fiddaman64

Mar 2, 2004, 4:15:51 AM3/2/04

"Dave" <cro...@infinity.net> wrote in message

Dave - Toronto

Fuckin Hell Dave!!! From a DIPH to a computer nerd. Words like 'Format',
'DLR', 'Burning on the fly', Source DVD' and 'Data Disc'? My, you have come
a long way. Spose props should go out to Cam for his patience eh?

KEEP IT STIFF BRO and don't get too technical, some of us are still trying
to get to terms with identifying a DVD/R to a CDR.

Fiddy

inleaguewithsatan

Mar 2, 2004, 4:42:48 AM3/2/04
it`s great that all these companies condemn burning and copying but you can
get the gear from them to do it, 2 faced bastards. years ago video to video
was very illegal but you could get the scart leads no problem, why can`t
bootleggers who get caught and ruined sue the companies that supply these
things claiming "they made me do it" by selling the gear to copy like every
other fucker does,

fuck the system...keep a burnin`

"fiddaman64" <fiddaman64S...@Sblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

AgentAlbert

Mar 2, 2004, 6:00:55 AM3/2/04

> Any idea what the problem could be?? I posted to Dell's board thinking I
> would get some good advice as it's their computer...but I wuz locked out
by
> a moderator cuz I mentioned burning bootleg dvds for trading (as I give
the
> proverbial middle finger to the establishment).

That's funny. So, what do they think you use the dvd burner for? Should
you have said you were making copies of official dvd's for trading rather
than of bootlegs?

- Adam

CameronCSinclair

Mar 2, 2004, 10:59:17 AM3/2/04
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Now that is comedy!!!!

Cam

capn wäggajävelen

Mar 2, 2004, 11:05:57 AM3/2/04
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:13:17 -0500, "Dave" <cro...@infinity.net>
wrote:

Try this: Go to yahoo search or any search engine and input"Samsung
SD-616E DVD burning problems". You will be amazed at some of the hits
you will get. Im sure there has been others that have had this problem
and they have probably documented it with a fix somewhere on the net.
I did something similar fixing a problem with my PS2.

Goodluck!

CameronCSinclair

Mar 2, 2004, 11:09:50 AM3/2/04
> Spose props should go out to Cam for his patience eh?

Whoa there Fiddy!
Please may I make it publically clear that any information imparted to Mr Dave
Burton, The Treehouse, Toronto was done so on the understanding that he would
only use such knowledge for legal purposes and if he were to infringe any
copyrighted material he would be doing so totally against my advice.
Unfortunately Mr Burton is a long time substance abuser with the attention span
of a hyperactive baby smurf on anphetamine sulphate and no short term memory
whatsover.
I hereby distance myself from Mr Burtons recent actions.

Cam
;-)

fiddaman64

Mar 2, 2004, 11:53:44 AM3/2/04

"CameronCSinclair" <cameronc...@aol.com> wrote in message

LOL - I have been 8 days cold turkey on Seroxat and the other night I could
have sworn some presence was inside my body touching my bodily organs, it
made me wanna cum I tells ya.
Seroxat withdrawal sucks large, up to 8 days and zaps (Parathesia), profuse
sweating, Hallucinations or Night tremors are all kicking in.

Fiddy

beej

Mar 2, 2004, 3:53:50 PM3/2/04
If the burner software came with the puter, i would skip it and install
something proper. Try Nero or blindwrite

Cheers
beej
"Dave" <cro...@infinity.net> skrev i melding

Squiggly30

Mar 2, 2004, 6:05:57 PM3/2/04
Check the Table of Contents size. Sometimes, copy protections give a false
size in the TOC and you'll get that error.
Also, what burner software are you using? I could probably give you
something better ;)

Joe

"Dave" <cro...@infinity.net> wrote in message

Dave

Mar 2, 2004, 6:40:13 PM3/2/04
> Have you been remembering to delete the old used images off the hard
drive?

They delete themselves once I click *done* after burning a disc. Also..I
have found the folder that contains images from previous botched burn jobs
and deleted them too. This isn't the source of my problem.

> sounds like you been leaving them on there and you have simply ran out of
space

I've got over 100 gigs of free space in a 120 gig HD.

Dave - Toronto

Dave

Mar 2, 2004, 6:51:42 PM3/2/04
> Fuckin Hell Dave!!! From a DIPH to a computer nerd.

I wish I wuz a computer nerd sometimes.

> Words like 'Format', 'DLR', 'Burning on the fly', Source DVD' and 'Data
Disc'? My, you have come a long way.

Just buzz words. I don't really know what I'm doing. Until recently I
didn't even know that all bootleg dvds are regionless (hehe...I wuz scared
to play a dvd in my burner drive for the first month cuz it wuz prompting me
to switch the region...and I wuz scared that if I did that I would only be
burning into region 1 only).

> Spose props should go out to Cam for his patience eh?

Definate props to Cam. Once a week or so we hook up for a tutoring session
via icq.

> KEEP IT STIFF BRO

Hey man....sometimes it's best to be flacid.

> and don't get too technical,

Who...me?? LOLOLOL You should see Cam when he's trying to explain
something technical to me and then realizes that I have absolutely no
fucking clue what he's talking about until he puts it into stoner terms.

> some of us are still trying to get to terms with identifying a DVD/R to a
CDR.

Ahhh...the Stoneage. Been there...done that. I'm evolving.

Dave - Toronto

Dave

Mar 2, 2004, 6:56:27 PM3/2/04

"CameronCSinclair" <cameronc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cam emails me at work at lunchtime today with a one liner telling me to
check the Dell thread in the NG as soon as I get home. I email him back
with a wuz up asking if Dell had contacted the authorities or if the cops
were gonna raid my apartment for my bootlegs. Fucker had me concerned for a
few hours (wouldn't even answer back to explain....sneaky bastard!!!)

Dave - Toronto

Dave

Mar 2, 2004, 7:06:37 PM3/2/04
> Check the Table of Contents size.

How do I do that??

> Sometimes, copy protections give a false size in the TOC and you'll get
that error.

But this happens with bootlegs where there isn't any copy protection (at
least I don't think there is). It doesn't happen often..but sometimes it
does. If you can explain how to check the table of contents of a disc (and
how to make it so that it doesn't give a false file size)...that would be
something I could try next time it happens.

> Also, what burner software are you using?

I use Sonic Record Now which came with the computer (I think I paid extra
for it when I ordered it from Dell 3 months ago). Apparantly Sonic used to
be called something else...but somewhat reputable.

> I could probably give you something better ;)

Is it possable to have more than one burning software on one's system?? If
I install another type of software....would I have to disable (or delete) my
Sonic?? It seems to be user friendly enough for me...but I'm open to trying
something else if I can keep the option open of going back.

Dave - Toronto

fiddaman64

Mar 3, 2004, 12:56:19 AM3/3/04

> Cam emails me at work at lunchtime today with a one liner telling me to
> check the Dell thread in the NG as soon as I get home. I email him back
> with a wuz up asking if Dell had contacted the authorities or if the cops
> were gonna raid my apartment for my bootlegs. Fucker had me concerned for
> few hours (wouldn't even answer back to explain....sneaky bastard!!!)
>
> Dave - Toronto

LOL - Bit like getting a porno from a mate at work, running home to put it
in the VCR only to find that it is Hugh Grants latest flick.

Fiddy

fiddaman64

Mar 3, 2004, 12:58:32 AM3/3/04

"Dave" <cro...@infinity.net> wrote in message

*snip*

> Ahhh...the Stoneage. Been there...done that. I'm evolving.
>
> Dave - Toronto

Fuck, that mean we are goin to be invaded by loads of Munchkins singing the
Ooompa Loompa song?

Fiddy

CameronCSinclair

Mar 3, 2004, 6:03:35 PM3/3/04
> You should see Cam when he's trying to explain
>something technical to me and then realizes that I have absolutely no
>fucking clue what he's talking about until he puts it into stoner terms.

Hey dude I have learned the error of my tutoring ways and make sure I am
completely shitfaced before class now.

Cam