What Does the Bible Say About Swearing and Cursing?

Traudel

Sep 24, 2007, 12:27:36 PM9/24/07
What Does the Bible Say About Swearing and Cursing?

Matthew 15:1:1 "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that
which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Matthew 15:17-20: "Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at
the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the
heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries,
fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands
defileth not a man."

Curse Words Reveal the Condition of a Man's Heart

Jesus taught in the Bible that when a man curses or uses profanity it is a
sign of evil that was in that man's heart. It is popular today for both men
and women to curse. They never think of it as an evil condition in their
heart, but rather a small thing that everyone does. These small words of
cursing the Bible says, will defile the whole man if they are not repented
of and stopped. Cussing and using the name of the Lord in vain causes one
to become defiled.

Popular movies and T.V. are responsible for causing society to accept foul
language as the "norm." They portray cursing as a way to vent anger and
tell people off. The very attitudes behind cursing show that it is not right
as cussing is used to demean and put down people. These words can be mild
expletives to horrible blasphemies. Since the devil is the one who inspires
these evil utterances he causes people to use our Lord's name in the most
ungodly ways.

In the modern definition of cursing, usually people use the name of Jesus
or God in vain and swear with curses such as "go to hell" or "damn you."
These words clearly show it is an evil coming from the devil. Have you ever
wondered why people do not use the names of gods of other religions
when they curse? The names that the devil hates and uses people to voice
hateful curses are "God," "Christ," "Jesus Christ" and "Jesus." Terms about
hell and heaven are also used in derogatory ways. The very misuse of these
words should prove the existence of God and the reality of a heaven and
hell.

Even Christians have been tricked into using bad expressions when they are
upset. They are take-offs of the Lord's names such as: "Geeze" or "Jes"
(short for Jesus), "Good Gosh," "Gosh Darn," "Lordy." This is known as
"shoot cussin." There are other terms used, which we will not repeat, as
they are vulgar profanities. However, these illustrations make the point.

Many good movies have been ruined for Christians because the script writers
thought adding profane language (which they refer to as adult language)
somehow made the movie more realistic. Adults nor children should use bad
language if we are to be like our Lord. We do not have to use curse words to
emphasize our intentions.

Col. 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice,
blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another,
seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the
image of him that created him."

Matthew 5:37: "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for
whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

If swearing and cursing have been a problem in your life ask the Lord to
forgive you and deliver you so that your words may be good and loving words
full of grace and truth. He will help you overcome this problem through His
power.

Matthew 12:34-36: "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak
good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A
good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things:
and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But
I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give
account thereof in the day of judgment."

Psalm 19:14: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be
acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

<><><><><>
September 24th - St Gerard, Bishop Of Csanad, Martyr

(A.D. 1046)

ST GERARD, sometimes surnamed Sagredo, the apostle of a large district in
Hungary, was a Venetian, born about the beginning of the eleventh century.
At an early age he consecrated himself to the service of God in the
Benedictine monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore at Venice, but after some time
left it to undertake a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. While passing through
Hungary he became known to the king, St Stephen, who made him tutor to his
son, Bd Emeric, and Gerard began as well to preach with success. When St
Stephen established the episcopal see of Csanad he appointed Gerard to be
its first bishop. The greater part of the people were heathen, and those
that bore the name of Christian were ignorant, brutish and savage, but St
Gerard laboured among them with much fruit. He always so far as possible
joined to the perfection of the episcopal state that of the contemplative
life, which gave him fresh vigour in the discharge of his pastoral duties.
But Gerard was also a scholar, and wrote an unfinished dissertation on the
Hymn of the Three Young Men (Daniel iii), as well as other works which are
lost.

King Stephen seconded the zeal of the good bishop so long as he lived, but
on his death in 1038 the realm was plunged into anarchy by competing
claimants to the crown, and a revolt against Christianity began. Things went
from bad to worse, and eventually, when celebrating Mass at a little place
on the Danube called Giod, Gerard had prevision that he would on that day
receive the crown of martyrdom. His party arrived at Buda and were going to
cross the river, when they were set upon by some soldiers under the command
of an obstinate upholder of idolatry and enemy of the memory of King St
Stephen. They attacked St Gerard with a shower of stones, overturned his
conveyance, and dragged him to the ground. Whilst in their hands the saint
raised himself on his knees and prayed with St Stephen, "Lord, lay not this
sin to their charge. They know not what they do." He had scarcely spoken
these words when he was run through the body with a lance; the insurgents
then hauled him to the edge of the cliff called the Blocksberg, on which
they were, and dashed his body headlong into the Danube below. It was
September 24, 1046. The heroic death of St Gerard had a profound effect, he
was revered as a martyr, and his relics were enshrined in 1083 at the same
time as those of St Stephen and his pupil Bd Emeric. In 1333 the republic of
Venice obtained the greater part of his relics from the king of Hungary, and
with great solemnity translated them to the church of our Lady of Murano,
wherein St Gerard is venerated as the protomartyr of Venice, the place of
his birth.

The most reliable source for the history of St Gerard is, it appears, the
short biography printed in the Acta Sanctorum, September, vol. vi (pp.
722-724). Contrary to the opinion previously entertained, it is not an
epitome of the longer life which is found in Endlicher, Monumenta Arpadiana
(pp. 205-234), but dates from the twelfth, or even the end of the eleventh,
century. This, at least, is the conclusion of R. F. Kaindl in the Archive f.
Oesterreichische Geschichte, vol. xci (1902), pp. 1-58. The other
biographies are later expansions of the first named, and not so trustworthy.
St Gerard's story and episcopate have also been discussed by C. Juhász in
Studien und Mittheilungen O.S.B., 1929, pp. 139-145, and 1930, pp. 1-35; and
see C. A. Macartney, in Archivum Europae centro-orientalis, vol. iv (1938),
pp. 456-490, on the Lives of St Gerard, and his Medieval Hungarian
Historians (1953)

Taken from
http://www.katolikus.hu/hun-saints/gerard.html

Saint Quote:
Let my soul live as if separated from my body.
-- St. John of the Cross

Bible Quote:
So also you now indeed have sorrow; but I will see you again, and your
heart shall rejoice; and your joy no man shall take from you. (John 16:22)

<><><><>
A hymn of contrition, from the Office of Matins:

THE DUSKY veil of night hath laid, the varied hues of earth in shade;
before Thee, righteous Judge of all, we contrite in confession fall.

Thou, when the fourth day was begun, didst frame the circle of the sun,
and set the moon for ordered change, and planets for their wider range:

To night and day, by certain line, their varying bounds Thou didst assign;
and gavíst a signal, known and meet, for months begun and months complete.

Enlighten Thou the hearts of men; polluted souls make pure again:
unloose the bands of guilt within; remove the burden of our sin.

Grant this, O Father, ever One, with Christ, Thy sole-begotten Son,
Whom, with the Spirit we adore, one God, both now and evermore.

Terence Nesbit

Sep 25, 2007, 2:38:53 AM9/25/07

"Traudel" <hilde...@excite.com> wrote in message

> What Does the Bible Say About Swearing and Cursing?
>
> Matthew 15:1:1 "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but
that
> which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."
>
> Matthew 15:17-20: "Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in
at
> the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
> 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the
> heart; and they defile the man.
> 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries,
> fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
> 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands
> defileth not a man."

You are right in a lot of the things that you are saying here. Of course
there is something that is amiss. People can anger people enough to make
someone curse, bad. This is what occurred when Jesus saw people gambling in
the temple. This is not to say that it isn't wrong, and should be an
extreme last resort, just to say that if the aim of others is to make one
that angry, it is on them.

Why? You get what you want. You received the benefit that you were aiming
for. It is the fairness of the God that makes this so, not ignoring what
was done, or who it "purportedly" was done by. Absent instigator a, b would
not react as such. You can't expect to be pushed that hard, especially when
everything says the person should not be taking the actions they are taking.

In the end, you have to know what the real deal is. You can only bite your
tongue so much. A deep attempt is required when, as you have said, the
words are out there for even foreigners to know, even better than proper
English.