BOOK REVIEW - Operation Blue Light (Memoir)

Michael Gleason

Aug 28, 2008, 10:26:22 AM8/28/08
Operation Blue Light by Philip Chabot with Laurie Ann Blanchard © 2008
Cherubim Publishing ISBN 978-0-9816024-0-0 303 pages Hardcover $26.95
(U.S.)

The opening chapter of this book reads like a paranoiac's worst nightmare.
Quite honestly, the more I read, the more I wondered if this was reality or
a badly plotted novel.

The assertions and allegations seemed absurd - government agents with rifles
in a Midwestern motel parking lot, and American being accepted/coerced into
an arranged engagement with one of Chairman Mao's granddaughters, and
Chinese tongs working hand in glove with American police.

The ESP parts were, at least, the most believable parts even if they were
overly detailed. I've known a few psychics in my day, as well as having had
a few psychic experiences myself. None of what I have experienced or heard
of from the active participants had anywhere near the level of detail Mr.
Chabot relates.

By the time I was half way through the book my doubts has intensified.
Although many of details of life in the Midwest at the time rang true, it
just didn't feel right. He admits to having been in a psychiatric ward,
subjected to insulin therapy, given Thorazine, and not being able (from time
to time) to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

In the end, I really don't know how I feel about this book. If it is, as it
alleges to be, a memoir involving a young man in the 1960s, it borders on
the unbelievable. If it is a work of fiction, it is not one I would be
tempted to re-read. I am sure it will appeal to conspiracy theorists of
many types, but from my personal perspective, I really can't recommend it.